• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - July 2012 and onwards

Go to the credits screen of Orbitron and there will be a Arcadecraft code there. Then go to the options in the main menu of Arcadecraft and put that code in there. It will then unlock the game in AC. It is an ideal machine to use late 85.

Oh, so that's how it happens. I was expecting it to be a random or scripted event where a rep shows up to sell it. I figured I just didn't get it to pop in my playthroughs.

Bad Caterpillar = Centipede with SHMUP powerups. Nice and bought. But why were the playing field limits and aspect ratio copied, too? I want a wide-screen clone.

i bought arcadecraft a few days ago. unfortunately, i haven't been able to play it much. it seems pretty good though. last time i saw the dash it had cracked the top 10, so congrats to warm machine.

as an aside, here's a look at my xblig that has now been cancelled. the post explains things. i was looking forward to being able to add to this thread with the announcement of my own game and really excited to release a game on a console. maybe with the next round of machines...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47923475&postcount=2884

Arcadecraft has been the banner-game on the XBLIG marketplace in the UK for the last few days. Has that affected downloads at all, WM?

EDIT: Battle Farts would have fit pretty well on XBLIG but I wouldn't be able to respect you for it =P

Sucks that it's gone that way, though, the game itself looks nice.

Arcadecraft has been the banner-game on the XBLIG marketplace in the UK for the last few days. Has that affected downloads at all, WM?

EDIT: Battle Farts would have fit pretty well on XBLIG but I wouldn't be able to respect you for it =P

Sucks that it's gone that way, though, the game itself looks nice.

yeah, i was prepared for that kind of reaction. however, the game had some pretty funny stuff in it and, as long as the game play was good, i was comfortable with it being a "farting" game (although it's really punch-out re-skinned).

anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Bad Caterpillar = Centipede with SHMUP powerups. Nice and bought. But why were the playing field limits and aspect ratio copied, too? I want a wide-screen clone.

The big reason is that I really started doing an XBLIG version of this as a prototype for the mobile versions and that's the screen size I'm targeting to use for both iOS and Android. Once I had the gameplay done, it seemed like a pretty minor amount of work left in order to do a full XBLIG release. At that size the game is more confined and hectic, it may actually be better than using the full screen.

If sales are good I'll considering a wide screen and multiplayer (local) version once the Android and iOS ports are done.

Awesome

Also, this just came out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C3vsorX8EDk

I hope it's as good as it looks, it'll suck if it... sucks... because they've attached a pretty great name to it.

This looks promising. I need to snap this up.

Turns out it's pretty sucky. It could be okay, it's just badly made. On literally the very first screen, you can double-jump and stick to a wall and never fall down. About thirty seconds later you can kill an enemy and it disappears, but if you jump near it the enemy is actually still there and will deplete your health even though you killed it and it's gone. It's kind of a mess.

The big reason is that I really started doing an XBLIG version of this as a prototype for the mobile versions and that's the screen size I'm targeting to use for both iOS and Android. Once I had the gameplay done, it seemed like a pretty minor amount of work left in order to do a full XBLIG release. At that size the game is more confined and hectic, it may actually be better than using the full screen.

If sales are good I'll considering a wide screen and multiplayer (local) version once the Android and iOS ports are done.
Cool, I understood the gameplay reasons, as Centipede/Millipede are built around that distance to cover, though using a better input device helps, but I'd like to propose an idea for co-operative/competitive multiplayer same-screen play with players having to cover the wider playfield as well as having a two-player mode where two instances of the game are running side-by-side for a score/time-attack mode, sending more bugs or even longer caterpillars (based on strings or chains of hits) over to the other player ala competitive puzzle games. Could be neat seeing longer and longer caterpillars being bounced back and forth between good players. Real intensity.

OnPoint

Turns out it's pretty sucky. It could be okay, it's just badly made. On literally the very first screen, you can double-jump and stick to a wall and never fall down. About thirty seconds later you can kill an enemy and it disappears, but if you jump near it the enemy is actually still there and will deplete your health even though you killed it and it's gone. It's kind of a mess.

For me it's the jump physics that ruin it. It's too quick and too high at the same time. There's no sense of momentum or arc. Also, the controls are poorly laid out. Dashing backward with B and sliding forward with the bumper? C"mon son, did you even play your game or were you just slapping commands wherever?

On a positive note, Nostatic's new game was pretty good. I liked the demo, bought it then 100%'d it. It's a pretty basic platformer, but it was fun while it lasted.

Ascent of Kings

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Surprised at all the issues with Rag Raygun. I played through the trial, and got to the Material Girl Boss, and was ready to buy (have't yet, but along with the Capcom collection released Wed, it feels like a perfect time for such a game...)

Jumping is always something I feel "eh" about in many indies, this.. wasn't the worse. I found enemy animations and details more impressive than those quibbles.

I did notice a few odd things, though.

--For one, those tiny planes seem to DROP the Bullet Bill Bombs. That... huh? It threw me off.

--Shooting through objects happens much more than I suspected. It's fair on both ends, but it was different than expected.

--Restaring from a life isn't the most clear thing in the world. Upon my first death, on what was the "bottom" floor of the stage, I was reset to the top upon living again, and started to go the wrong direction, since it looked similiar... An arrow pointing to the proper direction of where to go would help, as well as making the screen disallow backtracking up to a certain point.

As far as command placement... it was odd for the first 3... 5 seconds? Moreso for the backdash, because counding from "3, 2, 1" in reverse order threw me off. But once that was over... no biggie. I had no problem switching between Backdash and forward Dash while fighting the boss, and I don't feel I can accurately call the controls a true mess, until I see how the buttons are used for all powerups, in this case.

The presentation shown in the game, and it's trailer, easily have me ready to overlook the issues, and jump right into the game. Patches to it's problems would be appreciated, but from the demo... I've seen much, much worse on IGs, and well-rounded presentation should go a good ways here (since that's normally one of the weakest points of many games on this service)

In marketplace news, Arcadecraft is now on the main "featured" page on the whole marketplace in the UK. There's a little indie promo too, with Bleed, Snops Attack and some other stuff, BloodyCheckers is there. Good stuff, mostly. Flotilla has been featured recently, I think MS UK must have employed someone recently who likes XBLIGs!

Chronoblast should be so cool, it's a vertical scrolling shmup (with TATE mode) and it's mental from the very first second. Unfortunately, like so many XBLIGs, they've not bothered putting in any code to account for controller deadzones, so anyone with an Xbox controller a few years old can't play it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Chronoblast should be so cool, it's a vertical scrolling shmup (with TATE mode) and it's mental from the very first second. Unfortunately, like so many XBLIGs, they've not bothered putting in any code to account for controller deadzones, so anyone with an Xbox controller a few years old can't play it.

Can't you use the dpad?

What do you mean by main featured? Can you take a picture? Sounds awesome.

Arcadecraft 1.1 is in peer review right now. Lots of bug fixes, and a good but small bit of new content.

Bad Caterpillar 1.1 is in Peer Review as well. Adjusted the moth some (still a PITA but less so), added better ship blinking when you're respawning, a few bug fixes, and something new we can reveal soon.

What do you mean by main featured? Can you take a picture? Sounds awesome.

Arcadecraft 1.1 is in peer review right now. Lots of bug fixes, and a good but small bit of new content.

Sorry, I missed this post, and now it's gone.

When you go into the "browse games" menu, you can tab over to arcade and GoD and indie and stuff, but the first default page is "featured" which has a variety of stuff. I've never seen an XBLIG there before Arcadecraft though

Sorry, I missed this post, and now it's gone.

When you go into the "browse games" menu, you can tab over to arcade and GoD and indie and stuff, but the first default page is "featured" which has a variety of stuff. I've never seen an XBLIG there before Arcadecraft though

I could be wrong, but i could have sworn Cthulhu Saves the World got one of those too??? Maybe it was somewhere else prominent though.

Bad Caterpillar 1.1 update is live. Besides a few minor tweaks and bug fixes, we also added the ability to generate a code that you can use to unlock a Bad Caterpillar arcade cabinet in Arcadecraft.

UploadedImages%5CBadCaterpillarInArcadecraft.png

It's a pretty cool feature I talked with Warm Machine about including months ago but at the time I wasn't sure I'd have a new release ready around the time of Arcadecraft's release. Big thanks for putting this in and for the work involved with that!

Now I just have to figure out how to get one of these standup machines for real.

CuchuGames

Neo Member
Hi !

I'm the guy who made Overdriven. When I saw this topic some months ago, I wanted to reply here to thank the person who gave a silver award to my game.
So I created a neogaf account, but this one was activated only some weeks ago.
So...
Thanks for the Silver Award, I'm late but I wanted to say that I was really glad to read it in July.

I still have some key codes to give :

1/ CVT7T-QPV89-3HY2Y-WJVKP-PXJ9Q
2/ CPQ39-VTDT3-FY3BD-XQC9H-2FQT6
3/ F9R72-X2H9F-MPW7Q-RP9CB-D42XW
4/ VDCDC-YGQF9-36PF8-GDYT9-9X7H6
5/ XRQ8V-4RRK3-WJ8JM-QM6QW-CCCYW
6/ TT9WW-HJ4M9-GKDPW-KGMVD-DHTMY

Have a nice day,
Cheers.

Tom.

Ps: for those who liked the game, I'm now working on Overdriven 2, but this time the team has doubled its size ... we're two !

Gaspode_T

I saw yesterday a tweet about how Revolver360 is available to buy physical copy online (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/akibaoo-r/hm000010991/) not a bad idea for some of the cult XBLIG games...release as physical PC game with small pressing, even Kickstarter it...

The reason Japanese devs do it is because they take it to Komike the giant doujin festival where you buy anything from loli manga to indie games and sell it like a flea market.

KDR_11k

Yeah, somehow J indies prefer very limited physical copies over putting their games on something like Desura or Steam.

Reminds me, does it look like the Revolver sequel is even coming to XBLIG?

Pretty darn awesome. Would love to see a Hypership cabinet too! Seriously, I hope we see more of these, it's a pretty cool feature in the game.

We actually have our review for Arcadecraft up at Armless now, in video form.

I'll be working on a text review for Bad Caterpillar ASAP.

Thanks for the video review. Really enjoyed watching it and the criticism was valid. We would love to do more of those machines like Bad Caterpillar but it comes down to memory available in the main game. If we had requests for lots of them we could just make the cabinet wrapper generic and change the marquees, controlelrs, and screens.

Gaspode_T

Yeah, somehow J indies prefer very limited physical copies over putting their games on something like Desura or Steam.

Reminds me, does it look like the Revolver sequel is even coming to XBLIG?

All I know is maybe 4 out of 5 of the famous Japan XBLIG devs have broken down and learning either MonoGame or Unity, but there was at least one of them that was tweeting like "I am going down with this motherfing ship and sticking with XNA" (roughly translating) A couple of them seem to be working on PlayStation Mobile ports too, but not sure if they are just messing around or not

Galdelico

Hey guys, just a quick heads up because Battle High 2 finally did it!

Boxart.png

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Battle-High-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550ccf

Some screenshots:

I don't want to go too far with the spam but I'm genuinely thrilled: it's the first videogame I took actually part in (even if marginally, having just provided the game's new artwork... The whole hard work has been done by Matt DeLucas and the guys at PointFiveProjects) and I felt like sharing a bit of my hype with you indie gaffers. :)

OnPoint

Hey guys, just a quick heads up because Battle High 2 finally did it!

Boxart.png

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Battle-High-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550ccf

Some screenshots:

I don't want to go too far with the spam but I'm genuinely thrilled: it's the first videogame I took actually part in (even if marginally, having just provided the game's new artwork... The whole hard work has been done by Matt DeLucas and the guys at PointFiveProjects) and I felt like sharing a bit of my hype with you indie gaffers. :)

Looking good. If I remember the original installment correctly (but please inform if I am wrong), it played pretty well but a character or two had broken moves that were impossible to deal with. Is this something you've addressed in the sequel?

Pretty darn awesome. Would love to see a Hypership cabinet too! Seriously, I hope we see more of these, it's a pretty cool feature in the game.

I'd be all for this but I can't speak for Warm Machine. It works better if both games are new to help cross promote each other. Unfortunately I can't update the original Hypership anymore (it's XNA 3.5 version and would require massive updates since only 4.0 games can be submitted) and it seems Hypership 2 is unlikely to land on XBLIG (not to mention I haven't commissioned box art for it yet either).

I'll be working on a text review for Bad Caterpillar ASAP.

Sweet, looking forward to it! You should mention the Arcradecraft tie-in here as well.

Galdelico

Looking good. If I remember the original installment correctly (but please inform if I am wrong), it played pretty well but a character or two had broken moves that were impossible to deal with. Is this something you've addressed in the sequel?
Sorry for not being able to give u a detailed reply right now, I'll try and see if I can get Matt posting here instead of me. Btw, he said that - being this one a proper sequel to Elemental Revolt - alot of tweaking has been done over the original code: for example (speaking about loudly requested fixes) the damage for Khai's Geyser Knee has been reduced and the super armor portion of Mai's Arctic Tandrum is now divided into a separate move.
For now, if you have specific questions I'll just report them and come back with more precise informations. :)

As for some other little glitch like
- the game briefly loading another vs screen before an ending sequence starts
- weak typeface design during score count...
It should all be addressed with the first update.
And I personally would like to draw a completely new animated intro too, if I'll get the chance to (well, I guess only if the new artstyle will be appreciated... :D).

Galdelico

I'm loving Bad Caterpillar so much... One of the most well done and purely entertaining games I've ever tried on XBLIG.
I really hope it's having great success.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Arcadecraft officially hit 20,000 sales on the 13th. Took about 45 days.

Good to hear. I know it's not a million bucks, but I'm glad it's probably enough to put food on the table. Greenlight hasn't went well for you yet, but if you do break through, I'm confident ongoing PC sales will bring you a solid secondary revenue stream.

Gaspode_T

They appear to be trying to rotate the tile for indie games more often than before because it just changed from Arcadecraft to Shark Attack Deathmatch, now Arcadecraft is the small tile below that one

The creator of Diehard Dungeon was pretty pissed off on the dev forums because his game got skipped over for the Uprising promotion, I hope it wasn't just because of a silly thing like box art. Man, the amount of revenue that could be generated if even a LITTLE bit of elbow grease was put into promoting the good XBLIG games...

I checked out some of the recent Indies, and this White Noise Online is pretty good! It's a Slender clone, and I'd say it's quite a bit better than the original.

Top Bottom