• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Next /Xbox 720 / Durango Patent?

abadguy

Banned
So long as the console can do games that look as good as SW 1313 and Agni's Philosophy, i'd be good. This whole 6x or 8x more powerful stuff throws me off. When i look at Gears 3 or Uncharted 3 and think of a console putting out a game that is 6 x better looking, sounds good to me.

Put there are those who say that 6x wouldn't be enough. But in the end no one knows how any games running on this hardware will look. All we have is things like Star Wars and Tech demos like Agni's Philosophy to make a guess as to how the games will look. I have a hard time believing that MS will purposely release a console that is unable to run games like this when the competition will.

I have a very hard time understanding how they are going to be successful with this "media box" strategy outside the U.S. Here in the states it may do well because it will most likely receive an enormous amount of media content/partnerships , but if that content is only accessible in America it may be a tough sell for the rest of the world.

Because people said the same thing last gen going into this one and they were just as wrong. People just love throwing around "diminished returns!!1" around, when we have so much further to go to reach photorealism in video games.

It's not wrong at all though, not now at least. Look at where graphics are now: Faces look like real human faces, character models look like actual people, vegatation has been drastically imrpoved, buildings look like real buildings, etc. Lighting has come a long way and shadows are already pretty good in some games.

Games are not photorealistic yet but they can be compared to reality and that should say a lot. Again you seem to be mixing up that entering diminishing returns does not mean graphics are photorealistic or really close to it.

I'm not sure. Like I said, purely speculation. It could go either way in my speculation-based world (the subsidized 360, for example, includes Live Gold, right?) but....

"Always on internet"... "shift toward services and features"... there's a lot of puzzle pieces there to be put together.

Sounds terrible... like buying a GPS device without GPS service. Hopefully that speculation will stay exactly that... speculation.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Seeing the OP makes me wonder if cloud gaming could be used in conjunction with a traditional game machine. Perhaps the server could be used to render distant objects like a far off mountain or village while the game machine renders what is near and in focus to the player. Perhaps other things like AI and physics could be handled by the cloud server too. Essentially, a gaming cloud would free up the console and allow more power to focus on graphics. Is something like this even possible?

StevieP

Banned
Sounds terrible... like buying a GPS device without GPS service. Hopefully that speculation will stay exactly that... speculation.

But that's the direction MS seems to be going in with their living room box, so it would make some form of sense. Especially considering all the HD cable channels and media streamers you'll be getting with the box.

They figure most gamers pay the monthly fee anyway, right? They won't complain. They currently make up less than half of the Live Gold userbase - more people are using the box for media assumption now, if you look at the post I highlighted from an MS employee on the previous pages.

Like I said, purely speculation but I'm trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and I keep coming up with a box that has a monthly fee of some kind. You can bookmark this post for this time next year, I guess.

deviljho

Like I said, purely speculation but I'm trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and I keep coming up with a box that has a monthly fee of some kind. You can bookmark this post for this time next year, I guess.

Wasn't it also supposed to replaced the cable box?

onQ123

Seeing the OP makes me wonder if cloud gaming could be used in conjunction with a traditional game machine. Perhaps the server could be used to render distant objects like a far off mountain or village while the game machine renders what is near and in focus to the player. Perhaps other things like AI and physics could be handled by the cloud server too. Essentially, a gaming cloud would free up the console and allow more power to focus on graphics. Is something like this even possible?

so you want a video of a mountain in the background? lol

other than that your idea is actually 'Online Gaming'

think about it things happen on the other side but your console still has to render it for you to see it on your TV.

androvsky

Are we sure it's the next Xbox generation, and not just the 360 combined with a low-power media oriented CPU + GPU in order to facilitate streaming to different devices? It'd make a lot of sense to have two separate CPUs and GPUs if one of the pairs is the 360 CPU+GPU combo from the S model. Makes production and compatibility with 360 games easier, but the extra processing units let them do more with media streaming while a game is being played.

And it makes the whole thing cheap enough to sell for nearly free with a subscription. I could almost see cable companies offering them as an add-on to their regular boxes, if not a replacement in certain markets.

jmdajr

2581610_oypldz.gif

Thread needs more HYPE™

Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers...

come on!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Huh? Not a single thing has been announced and anything you read here is pure speculation but mostly lies
KuGsj.gif

Going off the leaked sheet that seems like a decent analysis, though.

Ales

Neo Member
from the rumors & leaked specs The Gaming Part is 4 - 6X the power of the Xbox 360

I'll just post what I posted on BY3D.

Leaked Documents 4X - 6X Xbox 360 for games

Info that we have heard about the Next Xbox 1 - 1.5 TFLOPS

Xbox 360 GPU 240 GFLOPS

6X 240 GFLOPS = 1.44 TFLOPS

It makes sense if MS wants to make an epic fail.
I want to see who will buy a console so underpowered to 399$ when for the same price the PS4 will be much more powerful and with many exclusive.
I see no logic in this project unless MS wants to sell the next xbox only in USA.
I hope that the next xbox has been much improved in these 2 years otherwise it will remain on the store shelf.
Sorry for the future Gears of War and Forza which will be castrated.
Epic has asked powerful console can not believe that MS really bring out such a fail console.

So long as the console can do games that look as good as SW 1313 and Agni's Philosophy, i'd be good. This whole 6x or 8x more powerful stuff throws me off. When i look at Gears 3 or Uncharted 3 and think of a console putting out a game that is 6 x better looking, sounds good to me.

Put there are those who say that 6x wouldn't be enough. But in the end no one knows how any games running on this hardware will look. All we have is things like Star Wars and Tech demos like Agni's Philosophy to make a guess as to how the games will look. I have a hard time believing that MS will purposely release a console that is unable to run games like this when the competition will.

From what Square said, if the cons.....multimedia device truly is only 4x-6x more powerful then the 360 when it comes to games, there is no way in frozen over hell Angi's Philosophy will be running on it.

Ales

Neo Member
From what Square said, if the cons.....multimedia device truly is only 4x-6x more powerful then the 360 when it comes to games, there is no way in frozen over hell Angi's Philosophy will be running on it.

Not even the UE4 would be able to run at the appropriate level

onQ123

I want to see who will buy a console so underpowered to 399$ when for the same price the PS4 will be much more powerful and with many exclusive.
I see no logic in this project unless MS wants to sell the next xbox only in USA.
I hope that the next xbox has been much improved in these 2 years otherwise it will remain on the store shelf.
Sorry for the future Gears of War and Forza which will be castrated.
Epic has asked powerful console can not believe that MS really bring out such a fail console.

They plan to sell it at $299 & there has been talk of them doing a payment plan.

& how you know it will fail? 6X the Xbox 360 will look good Graphic whores can cry all they want but 6X the Xbox 360 is going to be beautiful to most people & good enough. do you really think the people who will be buying the most consoles are going to look at games that look 6X as good as the 360 games & turn their nose up?

Not even the UE4 would be able to run at the appropriate level

1 TFLOPS is good enough to run UE4

StevieP

Banned
I want to see who will buy a console so underpowered to

Without even focusing on the rest of this hyperbolic post, there are about 100 million Wiis out there.

Selling hardware will not have anything to do with hardware. Software and services hook. Those are going to sell your console. If this media box turns out to be as the patents/documents describe, there will be no issues selling it to your household. A large, hot, noisy gaming-only device is a much tougher sell to a household.

there is no way in frozen over hell Angi's Philosophy will be running on it.

It required a 680 with an i7 to look that way and was a cutscene - not a game. What do you guys really expect?

Without even focusing on the rest of this hyperbolic post, there are about 100 million Wiis out there.

Selling hardware will not have anything to do with hardware. Software and services hook. Those are going to sell your console.

that is false. thats why for example, you and bg are obsessed with wii u not being underpowered...(just one example mind you, no offense)

unless the non-gaming side of durango is extremely compelling, and i'm not sure what exactly that would look like...i cant see myself getting all that excited over dvr...

it's too early to say durango will be less powerful than ps4 anyway imo, even if it's gpu is weaker, there's still ram, cpu, and overall system setup to look at.

that said, i will enjoy watching ms fail miserably if they shortchange the graphics of durango and think they can get away with it. it will remind why ms has pretty much never succeeded with anything outside windows (and xbox, but they may screw that up now)

ps, answer your pm...

StevieP

Banned
that is false. thats why for example, you and bg are obsessed with wii u not being underpowered...(just one example mind you, no offense)

That the Wii U is underpowered (and it is in comparison to its upcoming competition) has *nothing* to do with what actually sells consoles. It is NOT hardware. It IS software. That's a fact, and it has been proven over and over throughout gaming history.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39702565&postcount=19

that said, i will enjoy watching ms fail miserably if they shortchange the graphics of durango and think they can get away with it. it will remind why ms has pretty much never succeeded with anything outside windows (and xbox, but they may screw that up now)

Or, they realize that creating a compelling software+services ecosystem under a unified guise could propel the Xbox to the device they've always wanted it to be since they put down their first multi-billion dollar investment in the product: Their (extremely successful) living room trojan.

Proelite

unless the non-gaming side of durango is extremely compelling, and i'm not sure what exactly that would look like...i cant see myself getting all that excited over dvr...

it's too early to say durango will be less powerful than ps4 anyway imo, even if it's gpu is weaker, there's still ram, cpu, and overall system setup to look at.

If Durango fails due to being too weak, we'll see a beast released in a few years. So not all is bad in the end.

That the Wii U is underpowered (and it is in comparison to its upcoming competition) has *nothing* to do with what actually sells consoles. It is NOT hardware. It IS software. That's a fact, and it has been proven over and over throughout gaming history.

nope, software doesnt sell anything, hardware always does, ask apple. even the wii proved that. nintendo games will get nintendo as far as the gamecube or n64...

Or, they realize that creating a compelling software+services ecosystem under a unified guise could propel the Xbox to the device they've always wanted it to be. Their (extremely successful) living room trojan.

if it doesn't have competitive to ps4 graphics it will lose, and horribly. just as i've predicted utter failure for the wii u for the same reasons.

I ask what, exactly, this box is going to do that will make me want it, non-gaming wise? I will switch to PS4 in a heartbeat if they come out with a non-shit controller and are significantly more powerful...I dont care about a set top box, I'm a gamer.

I've always said, if MS wants a set top box, make a set top box...leave gaming out of it. There is no reason to pack hot expensive game hardware in a set top box.

ps, answer your pm...

The ram will be slow with high latency, there is no other way to shove that all in there. The gpu has eDRAM but beyond that, going by the diagrams, the ram isn't even SOC, so it'll all be done by an external memory controller.

If Durango fails due to being too weak, we'll see a beast released in a few years. So not all is bad in the end.

Well, now that they are in the living room .. will we? I totally understand MS is throwing money at gaming in order to sell services to us on our couch, that's fine with me as I really enjoy the gaming products they have provided. My question, is if this "Game Box" doesn't do well, will MS continue in the gaming business.

My guess is that they will, there is too much money to make and being able to charge gamers for online gaming is too lucrative, plus XBLA and their cut with that. But things change so who knows ... never thought I'd see SEGA out of the game myself.

nope, software doesnt sell anything, hardware always does, ask apple. even the wii proved that. nintendo games will get nintendo as far as the gamecube or n64...

So Apple, the weaker hardware compared to a lot of Android phones with the more intuitive and easy to use interface proves what? And the best selling console of this generation also being the weakest proves what?

I'm not sure what your stance is, can you elaborate or did that one just fly over my head?

ps, answer your pm...

This post reminds me of a lot of GAF in pre-Kinect launch threads.

I agree with those that say the focus for all consoles will not be pushing polygons. Enthusiasts care about that stuff mostly, but they tend to own PCs anyway. Next gen will be all about services, non-gaming content and peripherals. Really, this gen has been about that as well.

Also, to GAFers outside of the U.S. - I don't think you can assume other counties won't get more non-gaming content. It's entirely possible MS has something else up their sleeve for their NextBox. We shall see.

Meelow

Banned
They plan to sell it at $299 & there has been talk of them doing a payment plan.

& how you know it will fail? 6X the Xbox 360 will look good Graphic whores can cry all they want but 6X the Xbox 360 is going to be beautiful to most people & good enough. do you really think the people who will be buying the most consoles are going to look at games that look 6X as good as the 360 games & turn their nose up?

People expect the PS4/720 to be 20x more powerful than this gen, that's crazy, 6x the 360 is fine with me and a lot people too, the games matter and they sale the console, the Xbox 8 can be 100x more powerful than the 360 but if it doesn't have the games it won't sale, people really got to lower the expectations for all next gen consoles for power (that's Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 8).

Well if this shit is true, Sony has a golden opportunity to get a lot of devs in bed with them by having better hardware suited for actually running the next big gaming engines properly.

What you are are forgetting, is MS is NOT Nintendo. Nintendo is the only company that can get away with the weak tech due to the charm of their games. With the 360, do you honestly believe most people would give a shit about Halo, CoD, Gears, Forza, etc. if the graphics were pure garbage? No. Pretty much all of the big sellers on 360 are heavy graphics games that sure as hell aren't carried by the charm of their art styles like Mario, Kirby, Pikmin, etc.

It's the same with Sony. Outside of a few franchises like LBP and Ratchet & Clank, and upcoming PASBR, their big sellers are pushing graphics. What is the most talked about aspect of most of these games? Graphics. ZOMG GIFS! Like I said, unlike Nintendo, MS and Sony rely on heavy graphics with damn near all their big name titles. The hardware and software really do go hand in hand.

If MS really tries to go the Nintendo route in hoping they just so happen to strike gold and oil at the same time like Nintendo did with the Wii, they are dumb as shit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No. No. No.

Marco1

Well if this shit is true, Sony has a golden opportunity to get a lot of devs in bed with them by having better hardware suited for actually running the next big gaming engines properly.

What you are are forgetting, is MS is NOT Nintendo. Nintendo is the only company that can get away with the weak tech due to the charm of their games. With the 360, do you honestly believe most people would give a shit about Halo, CoD, Gears, Forza, etc. if the graphics were pure garbage? No. Pretty much all of the big sellers on 360 are heavy graphics games that sure as hell aren't carried by the charm of their art styles like Mario, Kirby, Pikmin, etc.

It's the same with Sony. Outside of a few franchises like LBP and Ratchet & Clank, and upcoming PASBR, their big sellers are pushing graphics. What is the most talked about aspect of most of these games? Graphics. ZOMG GIFS! Like I said, unlike Nintendo, MS and Sony rely on heavy graphics with damn near all their big name titles. The hardware and software really do go hand in hand.

If MS really tries to go the Nintendo route in hoping they just so happen to strike gold and oil at the same time like Nintendo did with the Wii, they are dumb as shit.

I agree 100%, if MS does go this route then I will be PS4 exclusively.

StevieP

Banned
With the 360, do you honestly believe most people would give a shit about Halo, CoD, Gears, Forza, etc. if the graphics were pure garbage? No.

Uh...

specialguy said:

No, this generation Nintendo created WAY more compelling software for the mass market than they did the previous one. It was entirely software that propelled the Wii to sell about 100 million. Mostly on the backs of Nintendo's own.

The most successful consoles are always the ones with the most appealing mass-market content. Nothing to do with the hardware. Nobody is "losing" over hardware, unless you mean pricing themselves out of it.

jaypah

Oh man, so much "the sky is falling" in this thread. This upcoming generation is going to be so damn hilarious. You all are losing your shit already and the 720 is over a year away.

Ales

Neo Member
do you really think the people who will be buying the most consoles are going to look at games that look 6X as good as the 360 games & turn their nose up?

1 TFOLPS is good enough to run UE4

1)Yes because the difference with the PS4 would be obvious. I do not believe the rumors of 299$ the document is too old to say what the price will be.

2)No would be able to run the UE4 to a minimum.
As Epic said with the UE4 things get really interesting with more than 1 TFLOPS.
I can not believe that MS do not listen to requests from Epic after a generation in which the UE3 has been the main engine thanks to their help with titles like Gears of War.

Again, this strategy seems like a suicide if they want to sell in Europe

I think MS is going in a fundamentally different direction than Nintendo. MS is trying to create a central unified entertainment box for the home, Nintendo is a pure gaming company.

B.O.O.M

But another possibility is the next PS getting Wii'd right? As in if the xbox and wiiu fall in the same ballpark when it comes to capabilities, 3rd parties might chose to make games for those two markets and leave PS out, like they did with the Wii this gen.

All in all from a consumer pov, fuck this shit. If I'm going to buy a gaming console, it's for the games. Some simple additions like netflix are more than enough for me. I sure as hell hope sony doesn't take this same route.

I hope Sony goes a different route and offers a real and advanced GAMING console. I was a xbox 1 and 360 launch buyer but i`m completely done with the Xbox brand. I`m more than willing to jump ship and make Playstation my main console.

Hopefully Sony will take advantage of MS questionable decisionmaking. And Sony 2GB RAM won`t get the job done. Step up your game.

I hope Sony goes a different route and offers a real and advanced GAMING console. I was a xbox 1 and 360 launch buyer but i`m completely done with the Xbox brand. I`m more than willing to jump ship and make Playstation my main console.

Hopefully Sony will take advantage of MS questionable decisionmaking. And Sony 2GB RAM won`t get the job done. Step up your game.

Sony created an advanced pure gaming machine with Vita and we all know how that's working out. Times are changing and so are consumer expectations. The days of pure polygon pushing are over, or at least they should be for companies that want to survive.

Ales

Neo Member
What you are are forgetting, is MS is NOT Nintendo. Nintendo is the only company that can get away with the weak tech due to the charm of their games. With the 360, do you honestly believe most people would give a shit about Halo, CoD, Gears, Forza, etc. if the graphics were pure garbage? No. Pretty much all of the big sellers on 360 are heavy graphics games that sure as hell aren't carried by the charm of their art styles like Mario, Kirby, Pikmin, etc..

exactly

jaypah

So in other words everybody's fucked? I mean, if we believe the lowest of the 720 rumors then we have to believe the worst of the PS4 rumors too. Damn. All those next-generation engines with no hardware to run them :(

LMAO

But another possibility is the next PS getting Wii'd right? As in if the xbox and wiiu fall in the same ballpark when it comes to capabilities, 3rd parties might chose to make games for those two markets and leave PS out, like they did with the Wii this gen.

All in all from a consumer pov, fuck this shit. If I'm going to buy a gaming console, it's for the games. Some simple additions like netflix are more than enough for me. I sure as hell hope sony doesn't take this same route.

Another point. All these devs are just finalizing their new engines that go balls to walls on the graphics front. If all the console makers release shitty ass hardware that doesn't impress past year 3, they are going to be pissed.

Meelow

Banned

I'm going to have to disagree with you about Sony, the PS1 and PS2 weren't powerhouses, what made Sony so great was threw focus on getting exclusive games.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about Sony, the PS1 and PS2 weren't powerhouses, what made Sony so great was threw focus on getting exclusive games.

I think Sony's early success was due to identifying and focusing on an undeserved market segment, which was the 16-35 year old male.

Back then sure, but what do Uncharted and GoW have in common now? "Holy shit look at the graphics" reactions from pretty much everyone.

Top Bottom