• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

Goku

Banned
Penello: "The most powerful platform"

Please don't take stuff out of context and start another shitstorm. Panello said: "....... and also have a part of the system reserved for the future, it doesn't take away from the games it allows you to have things accessible instantly and running in the background. The way we built the platform, was specifically designed to think about a future state and being the most powerful platform to enable these types of experiences.

In context, his statement isn't wrong. So don't quote what you want to hear, but rather what actually is said.

x-Lundz-x

That is actually really cool -- they need to show more stuff like that and stop this hardware battle.

Xbox One has cool loading screen, specs don't matter confirmed?

Or are you saying they should stop trying to say anything about specs because they can't win that battle and just focus on what they can do good, which is software?

KrAzEd

Banned
So I'm unable to play Titanfall without online connection? No. Do I get a better experience with the cloud this way? Then I can tell you already this stuff isn't marketable at all. No gamer casual or hardcore cares if bots are better with the cloud or not.

Actually you can't play Titanfall without an online connection, and its not about better ai, its about offloading some of the games assets to the cloud so that the hardware can focus on other things.

amardilo

For me a lot of what they are hyping in that video seems to be extra and nice to have feature. Not that any of this stuff is a bad thing or I am complaining but none of that stuff seems that impressive (to me).

What I really want is for them to start coming out with raw numbers of the frames per second, the screen resolution, the amount of polygons and any crazy AI computations they can do that makes specific games better (and I mean I want them to state actual numbers).

BigDug13

So I'm unable to play Titanfall without online connection? No. Do I get a better experience with the cloud this way? Then I can tell you already this stuff isn't marketable at all. No gamer casual or hardcore cares if bots are better with the cloud or not.

Pretty sure you are unable to play Titanfall without an online connection. It is not a single player game, at all.

Xbox One has cool loading screen, specs don't matter confirmed?

Or are you saying they should stop trying to say anything about specs because they can't win that battle and just focus on what they can do good, which is software?

GAF has been asking for a UI demonstration for a while now, from both Sony and MS. At least Sony had Gamescom as a mini showcase, but Xbox has been quiet aside from leaks and snippets of features like Upload Studio, etc.

Loomba

Credit to XboxUncut on Reddit.

ibaafNSH2i961d.gif

Dem Mountains lawd.

boi

Neo Member
Actually you can't play Titanfall without an online connection, and its not about better ai, its about offloading some of the games assets to the cloud so that the hardware can focus on other things.

If it is not AI, what assets?

Goku

Banned
3 GB of RAM for fancy swipes and overlaps...

You've completely missed the point of the video. 3 GB of RAM is reserved for OS purposes. They could be using 512mb now, 1GB or whatever. The point is that when needed, they have room to add OS features, which is 'future proofing' the console.

Ebomb

Banned
Are we allowed to be excited about cloud possibilities knowing that it won't improve rendering beyond creating additional compute headroom locally? Or do we have to minimize any potential impact of bringing server compute to gaming because of the console war.

ruttyboy

Imagine the game you play every day improving each time you log in. Imagine joining a match in your favorite first person shooter to find new maps and game modes even though you never downloaded a game update.

Am I being stupid or is that straight up bullshit? How can the system use info it hasn't downloaded?

The only way I could see that being possible was if those new maps were on the disc from the start but had been intentionally locked away, but that's not something to crow about.

The comments on that video... It's a black hole of ignorance and stupidity... And I love it....

I'm still not sure what to make of all this Cloud stuff. It sounds good for dedicated servers and stuff, but I feel like MS are treating me like an idiot by trying to convinve me of it's capability to offload what would normally be computed locally to the cloud...

Am I being stupid or is that straight up bullshit? How can the system use info it hasn't downloaded?

The only way I could see that being possible was if those new maps were on the disc from the start but had been intentionally locked away, but that's not something to crow about.

They have to explain background downloads or low-power downloads in a some fancy way. To be too straight forward about it would be boring.

Wait - so any Kinect will be able to recognize me and load my profile onto an Xbox I haven't played on before? Fucking incredible if true.

The video record voice command is god sent.

Goku

Banned

You're asking for examples of Cloud compute. You're critisizing the implementation now, not the option. It would be rediculous to expect games to take full advantage of cloud computing in launch games. The important thing is, MS has enabled you to take advantage of Cloud Computing, it's up to the developer to decide how and if they will use it.

Jack cw

You've completely missed the point of the video. 3 GB of RAM is reserved for OS purposes. They could be using 512mb now, 1GB or whatever. The point is that when needed, they have room to add OS features, which is 'future proofing' the console.
Yeah, right. So if games get more demanding and need every bit of power Xbones OS will reduce features? Talking about the definition of future proof.

zebwinz

Wait - so any Kinect will be able to recognize me and load my profile onto an Xbox I haven't played on before? Fucking incredible if true.

Answer is No to the any Kinect being able to recognize you. Because of privacy concerns, all personal Kinect info is only kept on your Home console.

JaggedSac

No, they are not storing the biometrics necessary for roaming identification online. I believe Albert confirmed this.

That's a lot of words to say so little. Seems the same hot air they come out with every week about this cloud bollocks. I'd like some hard evidence of this stuff being used/beneficial to actual gameplay.

Show me the money, MS. Lemme see dat cash in action. A gif is worth a thousand words.

boi

Neo Member
You're asking for examples of Cloud compute. You're critisizing the implementation now, not the option. It would be rediculous to expect games to take full advantage of cloud computing in launch games. The important thing is, MS has enabled you to take advantage of Cloud Computing, it's up to the developer to decide how and if they will use it.

There is no point in laying emphasis on this feature if the system doesn't support it. It is not an option, since it is actually not even there. Saying it's coming is like saying holograms are coming as well.

If it can offload this data, why does a forum poster needs to tell me this and why is there no technical demo from Microsoft?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If you have to air quote future-proof, do you really mean it? Simply reserving memory isn't a guarantee of future-proofing anything. Future OS features don't necessarily need memory reserved for them, unless they're supposed to be resident in memory most of the time. And if that's the case for reserving that much memory, do you really want your game machine doing nearly 40% of its memory management on features that aren't all directly related to the game you're playing?

jwk94

ibgfs3CkGUPTHP.gif

This is amazing. Also every Xbox One being your sounds fantastic. Hopefully Sony is able to do the same thing. Would definitely help when going to a friend's house.

Top Bottom