• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

In any event, there's no way Albert would say something this definitive on dedicated servers unless it was real - the blowback would be too great. So policy change or not, it's great news. Competition is good my friends.

As I said waaay before this happened, that's a real way Microsoft could make themselves different and better than the competition, starting to chip away at that $100 difference, and so I'm glad to see they've gone the full mile. Sony can't really match this without a huge forward investment that they haven't made yet as far as I'm aware, and Gaikai isn't really going to be used for dedicated servers as far as I understand, right?

Sony is using Rackspace I believe. No one knows if it's for cloud compute for sure or how far along it is, though.

The OS and the ease of "Xbox On" definitely pulls me in and the decision is becoming so hard of which console to get. I know I could just wait until after they're already launched and well known about; however, my lust for new hardware is too great.

Pain

Banned
Also to be clear. One of the benefits of publishing games on Xbox One – ALL game developers get Dedicated Servers, Cloud Processing, and “storage” (for save games) free.

If you want to do dedicated servers on other platforms, you have to prop them yourself. But on Xbox One, while developers can choose to use their own methods, we make it available to everyone.

There should be no confusion on this point. We do not charge developers for Dedicated Servers.
Just to be clear, you are saying every single Xbox One game will have dedicated servers?
Or are you saying dedicated servers are offered to developers for free?

operon

I can''t wait to use this UI, launch day can't come quick enough. Albert thanks for the clarification now thanks to the video I can put a face to the name.

jem0208

Just to be clear, you are saying every single Xbox One game will have dedicated servers?

He's saying they're offered... I presume.

I can't see why a dev would not accept though.

Pain

Banned
IMO, if I had to chose between 1080p and dedicated servers, I'd go dedicated servers.
I'd choose both. Even Call of Duty is using dedicated servers now(even on PS).
I doubt any high profile competitive game will use P2P this gen on any platform.

You guys are precision questioners. :)

The latter, 100%. We offer it. It's not our call if they choose to use ours, theirs, or not support it. We don't mandate.

djjinx2

Never even heard of Rackspace... gotta look that up lol

"The world's service leader in hosting
Hosting is all we do. We've set the standard for Cloud, Managed and Email Hosting with our support, expertise and diverse solutions. That's why in 2012 Rackspace won the prestigious UK Customer Experience Award for IT & Telecoms"

Pain

Banned

Yeah that's what I thought. So devs can still use P2P servers if they wanted to for whatever reason.

For example Call of Duty Ghosts isn't using the "xbox cloud" as far as I know. It's using hybrid P2P/Dedicated Servers.

well, every game may not necessarily be worth the effort of converting the multiplayer codebase to support dedicated servers. Maybe some compnay has some old peer-to-peer code they have lying around that's still perfectly functional. So I could see some 4-player co-op game, or maybe 1 on 1 fighting games still using peer to peer or something.

But I would imagine that all the games with higher player counts and more complex gameplay make use of the extra servers.

hawk2025

Of course they won't mandate dedicated servers, the best they can do is offer then for free.

This is awesome. Might shift my multiplayer multiplats in the long run if parity is not established by Sony, and I don't see them doing it for a while.

jem0208

well, every game may not necessarily be worth the effort of converting the multiplayer codebase to support dedicated servers. Maybe some compnay has some old peer-to-peer code they have lying around that's still perfectly functional. So I could see some 4-player co-op game, or maybe 1 on 1 fighting games still using peer to peer or something.

But I would imagine that all the games with higher player counts and more complex gameplay make use of that option.

Good point, I suppose games like fighters might not use dedicated servers.

kyser73

I was watching that boot up sequence and thought to myself 'Hmm, that seems familiar. Where have I seen those effects used that way before?'

Then it hit me - I've seen them in every sales pitch delivered in PowerPoint when the presenter thinks that to keep people's attention they need to use every single transition animation on every single element on every single slide.

This revolutionary UI is a .ppt file.

Also - cloud schmoud.

You guys are precision questioners. :)

The latter, 100%. We offer it. It's not our call if they choose to use ours, theirs, or not support it. We don't mandate.
Just curious here Albert, what would be the advantage of not going with yours? Why would they turn down free dedicated servers?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
At 1:30 Penello says you can record the last 30 seconds of gameplay video with a voice command. Is that amount just an example, just the limit specific to that particular voice command, or is that the overall limit for the recording feature?

edit: just beaten

Hey, dedicated servers for every dev/game is a great policy; not knocking it. But if most major releases on the competing platform also utilize dedicated servers and also have better game performance, that's really what everyone wants.

Im just saying that those comparisons usually start what ends up in a locked thread. Gotta be careful.

At 1:30 Penello says you can record the last 30 seconds of gameplay video with a voice command. Is that amount just an example, just the limit specific to that particular voice command, or is that the overall limit for the recording feature?

Specific to that command. There is a 5 minute buffer of gametime that you can go back through to record, but not via the "Record that" command; you'll need to use their Upload Studio

djjinx2

Why is that threads which are positive about the xbox one always seem to attract juniors posting negative crap

Not all juniors ;)

I am PS4 only for now but its good to see something positive from MS.

Hopefully Sony and MS go all guns blazing for the whole next gen.

Greatness Awaits :D

Just curious here Albert, what would be the advantage of not going with yours? Why would they turn down free dedicated servers?

Supposedly P2P works better for fighting games, and I imagine with persistent world type stuff in some cases the developers would rather have their own servers.

Microsoft will have to be consistent, awesome and keep having a better multiplayer experience to win over the peoplez.

I hope the achievement system will be better on Xbox One!

I'm pretty sure Activision announced at Gamescom Ghosts was using the Xbox Live cloud for dedicated servers.

edit: Yes, they say it right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rJOEtvdHoAw#t=1103

I'd choose both. Even Call of Duty is using dedicated servers now(even on PS).
I doubt any high profile competitive game will use P2P this gen on any platform.

As we learned with the 360/PS3, what seems equal is not always exactly equal.

I personally played Call of Duty on the PS3 and 360, and I can tell you that it was usually pretty clear the 360 version ran better online. Both were peer 2 peer, but whatever was going on in the background on the 360 did a better job with it.

I am already wondering if the exact same story is going to play out with the PS4 and XB1 dedicated servers.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It just seems silly to me. Just gimme your sales pitch if that's what it's supposed to be. I'd rather they do interviews with impartial journalists instead.

Games companies are starting to realize the specialized press is just an unnecessary and costly middleman. If all they do is say what you want them to say and act like an extension of your marketing department, what's the point?

See Rockstar releasing a preview-style video for GTAV or this trend towers corporations self interviewing.

Not all juniors ;)

I am PS4 only for now but its good to see something positive from MS.

Hopefully Sony and MS go all guns blazing for the whole next gen.

Greatness Awaits :D

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I look forward to seeing MS not only backtrack on what they've done wrong, but actually commit to some original undertakings to advance the industry. Again, online services seems to be one of those areas where they can potentially add a lot of value and providing dedicated server resources for free to devs is a great idea. Hopefully, Sony and Nintendo (Nintendo...ha!) will be pushed to follow suit.

obamanotbad.jpg

how long do these "dedicated servers" last though? the entire shelf life of the xbox one?

do we lose data or just access if we go off XBL?

is there a limit to how much data can be used by the dev/user before charges are incurred?

I was watching that boot up sequence and thought to myself 'Hmm, that seems familiar. Where have I seen those effects used that way before?'

Then it hit me - I've seen them in every sales pitch delivered in PowerPoint when the presenter thinks that to keep people's attention they need to use every single transition animation on every single element on every single slide.

Also - cloud schmoud.

lol, I don't even know what to say--One more to the ignore list

jem0208

Also - cloud schmoud.

Wow, what...?

You're comparing the boot up to a PowerPoint presentation?

Also, dedicated servers is a pretty damn big thing for multiplayer games.

Top Bottom