• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Call of Duty Ghosts, confirmed only 18 players per Map (9 Per Team)

6v6 used to be perfect for Call of Duty around the CoD4/WaW days, but they keep making the maps smaller and smaller to the point where 6v6 now feels like a huge clusterfuck.

Rainy Dog

Call of Duty is not Battlefield. I think anything more than 4v4 in CoD is a clusterfuck

Yeah, smaller player count matches in COD have a tension and tactical element that gradually disappears as more players are added.

Loved 3v3 Team Tactical in COD4, wish they'd bring that back.

malfcn

Nice box. Not a COD fan, but the package and content looked nice. 9v9 doesn't sound bad. The game doesn't give the vibe of needing to be 64 player death match.

alterno69

Banned
so 64 players for xbox one BF4.
19 for COD.....

am i getting this correct ?

lol if that is the case, i don't know what to say. i just hope BF4 sell more this year. not because i hate COD, its because i want the developers to wake up and stop releasing the same game under different skins.

Why do people keep comparing this? Not the same type of games at all. Personally i enjoy COD way more than BF, only BF i liked was Bad Company.

Busty

Banned
They aren't trying to 'out Battlefield' Battlefield but are instead offering a different experience.

Seems a smart move to me.

Storm360

19 for COD.....

lol if that is the case, i don't know what to say. i just hope BF4 sell more this year. not because i hate COD, its because i want the developers to wake up and stop releasing the same game under different skins.

Why wouldn't you release what your fanbase wants? It's partly why CoD is successful. People like that gameplay.

Am I the only one who was excited to see that the case looks like a true blu-ray case? Its smaller height will be much appreciated over the DVD cases of yore.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ground War in Call of Duty 4: 18 Players

Ground War in Call of Duty: World at War: 18 Players

Ground War in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: 18 Players

Ground War in Call of Duty: Black Ops: 18 Players

Ground War in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: 18 Players

Ground War in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: 18 Players

Um....precedence has been set for this kind of thing. But hey if you want an even bigger clusterfuck just because hurrrr next gen shud hav moar playrs pls then maybe you should take to twitter or something. Start a petition even, believe in yourself and you can succeed gaming pals :)

Dabanton

19 for COD.....

Your ability to misjudge the general mood of threads is amazing.

~~Hasan~~

What does the number of players per team for a multiplayer shooter have to do with the quality of said title? Big team battle for Halo always sucked compared to the 4v4 matches.

i was kinda hoping for bigger maps in COD.

i am still buying both day one. but i always wanted a bigger maps for some reason with more players. kinda more fun to me.

i always play 18 players ground war in COD as Team Death match is too small for me.

more noobs and idiots to kill i guess

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah dudes, COD is an infantry based game.
It's all about small maps and fast paced gameplay, adding more players would change the formula.

Bsigg12

Damn, this game is printed already.

I wonder how many games actually are done then after seeing this. This straight skipped a gold announcement and showed the finished product.

I wonder if devs are all working on day one updates at this point with physical copies being pressed and ready to go.

Tak3n

Banned
Then the thread title should be updated so as not to incite fanboy comments. Makes it sound like it will be more players on other platforms.

I only put that as obviously he was looking at the Xbox One box, I am so far from a fanboi...

I will attempt to edit it better

Edit: Changed title to 'Next gen' as I am taking a leap of faith PS4 will be the same

At first, I was like "whut!?"

Then I was like, "oh yeah, I don't play CoD."

More players can easily imba the entire match anyway, so the news itself isn't necessarily bad.

operon

More than 18 players wouldn't work for COD it's not their style. Battlefield is for the maps that can handle large numbers of players

EvB

Presumably this is because it was a multiplatform game, the maps are the same across all versions and can't physically hold more players in what is already a very hectic game.

Combine that with p2p connections and you can't really expect that they could design the game around loads more.

It's still an increase in player count over older games isn't it?

I wonder how many games actually are done then after seeing this. This straight skipped a gold announcement and showed the finished product.

I wonder if devs are all working on day one updates at this point with physical copies being pressed and ready to go.

It's possible that particular disc wasn't 100% real.

However, now is about the time most games are finished, and then they have to pass certification for each console, so they have a few weeks to print and ship copies of the game.

So it's entirely possible copies of Ghosts are being made right now, but it's also possible that was just a placeholder disc for showing it off now.

~~Hasan~~

Why do people keep comparing this? Not the same type of games at all. Personally i enjoy COD way more than BF, only BF i liked was Bad Company.

so did i . but why not give players more options ? some people want small games. just like how everyone loves nuke town type of levels.

but others also enjoy more players in big levels. so why not giving them the option to in a new game mode ?

i mean, BF does it. why not COD ?

2 campers, 2 snipers, 3 noobs on the edges of the map and 2 people playing the objective. Sounds about right.

Switch 1 noob with 1 asshole running around knifing everyone.

omg i laughed so hard @ these 2 comments lol

The sweet spot for close quarter team death matches are 16-18 players anyway.

Which is precisely what I shall playing in BF4.

Hopefully CoD can have its momentum slowed a little next gen so it at least doesn't get (semi) cloned so much.

HORRORSHØW

I'm not a CoD player, but this seems like par for the course. PC/PS4 should have the same player count, too. Are people up in arms over this?

Tak3n

Banned
so did i . but why not give players more options ? some people want small games. just like how everyone loves nuke town type of levels.

but others also enjoy more players in big levels. so why not giving them the option to in a new game mode ?

i mean, BF does it. why not COD ?

My point exactly, why can they not have bigger maps, I know people go, "but it is Cod" but people are constantly asking for COD to change with the times

keezy

19 for COD.....

logic. not even once.

the only CoD that was able to have a higher player count was United Offensive.

Bsigg12

It's possible that particular disc wasn't 100% real.

However, now is about the time most games are finished, and then they have to pass certification for each console, so they have a few weeks to print and ship copies of the game.

So it's entirely possible copies of Ghosts are being made right now, but it's also possible that was just a placeholder disc for showing it off now.

That's a good point. It could just be the packaging with a blank disc with the sticker. I figure 4-5 weeks out, we should be hearing that games have gone gold. I'm getting overly excited because this is getting so close.

DeltaJay

Banned

Um....precedence has been set for this kind of thing. But hey if you want an even bigger clusterfuck just because hurrrr next gen shud hav moar playrs pls then maybe you should take to twitter or something. Start a petition even, believe in yourself and you can succeed gaming pals :)

This. This is nothing new and the map to player ratio is fine.

19 for COD.....

Apples and oranges, really. They're almost completely different games. CoD is more run-and-gun with chaotic gameplay on smaller map sizes. Not to mention unstoppable kill-streak machines of death flying overheard. Larger maps wouldn't be suited for infantry focused gameplay, and more players would ruin the experience.

Battlefield is more about combined arms warfare (infantry + vehicles) with more emphasis on team cooperation, as well as strategy in how you attack\defend points. Larger maps make it more fun. More players are needed to fill the larger maps.

Hoodbury

6v6 used to be perfect for Call of Duty around the CoD4/WaW days, but they keep making the maps smaller and smaller to the point where 6v6 now feels like a huge clusterfuck.

Funny thing, the Wii version of CoDs only had 5 v 5 and it was actually more fun to me than when I played 6 v 6.

I miss 5 v 5. Seemed like a perfect amount for the maps and killstreak system these CoD games use.

Grimløck;86397529 said:
I'm not a CoD player, but this seems like par for the course. PC/PS4 should have the same player count, too. Are people up in arms over this?
Kind of. Thread title is a bit sensational then people that dont know about cod post because wars

~~Hasan~~

Apples and oranges, really. They're almost completely different games. CoD is more run-and-gun with chaotic gameplay on smaller map sizes. Not to mention unstoppable kill-streak machines of death flying overheard. Larger maps wouldn't be suited for infantry focused gameplay, and more players would ruin the experience.

Battlefield is more about combined arms warfare (infantry + vehicles) with more emphasis on team cooperation, as well as strategy in how you attack\defend points. Larger maps make it more fun. More players are needed to fill the larger maps.

correct me if i am wrong. but doesn't COD on pc has 64 players in ?

my point was Dice was able to put 64 players in BF and update them from the number of players on PS3/Xbox 360. yet COD seems stuck with the same number. it seems to be they are just re skinning the game and rushing it for next gen consoles.

Top Bottom