• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am shocked. SHOCKED, that this wasn't released on a Friday afternoon. That's usually when this kind of dirty news gets floated out there.

I dunno, given the kind of state MS seems to be in at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if they thought it is Friday.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So, you CAN lend games to friends, but only up to 10 of them? And you can borrow as well using this method? Is that right? This is sort of confusing.
I'm assuming when they say "family members" they mean Xbox Live profiles that share the same console as their home console. So you won't be able to lend to friends if you have different consoles set as your home console.

Did you ever consider an always-online connection for the PS4, and if so, why did you decide against it?

Yosp: Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections.
Did you ever consider an always-online connection for the PS4, and if so, why did you decide against it?

Yosp: Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections.

Just gonna leave this here.
It's not possible for Sony to have a similar licensing infrastructure, because the console does not need to access the internet.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wow, you have to be shitting me... connecting online once every single day or they won't let you play offline games without reconnecting?

What if the Internet is down?
you have a shitty ISP if you are worried about your internet going down for 24 hrs constantly. Also, you don't need a fast connection, most likely just needs to ping a server. If you don't have an internet connection that can do that, yikes.

also sounds like you can use a mobile connection with the console as well.

Freki

This sounds awesome!

but Microsoft is being too nice.
I can already see the exploits. I can already see Little Jimmy adding his friends Kyle and Kenny to his "family" on Xbox, now instead of all 3 of them buying Forza Motorsport 5 to play together, Little Jimmy, Kyle, and Kenny just split it up, pay $20 each and all play the game using one copy at the same time, thanks to the "family" system.

Horrible. Hope Microsoft has a system in place like "Family" can't play games at the same, unless everyone owns a license. That was Turn 10 isn't screwed out of 2 more potential sales, or worst case scenario, 9 sales.

Who the fuck is paying you?
Seriously I cannot believe a normal gamer could write this. I don't want to believe a normal gamer could write this!

VariantX

Why should I have to jump through so many fucking hoops and check in with big daddy just to play a game? You can't even causally rent one you might be interested in buying or you can't even loan a game to a friend. You can only opt to give it to them... only if they are verified. Get the hell out of here with this shit. Seeing our hobby being reduced to this is beyond sad. Nowhere else is your property controlled and dictated to such a degree.

At the end of the day, it's still bullshit and it still gets in the way of what I do with my games after I purchased them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Even if it goes out ONCE it's a huge fucking problem. How do people not get that?

Come on dude. I've had my power go out for 2 days before. Should I stop buying anything that requires electricity? Why does it upset some people that some of us don't care about that at all? If my internet goes down I'll do something else. Fuck, I'd be more upset at not being able to access NeoGAF then I would about not being able to play a game on my Xbox. Games are simply one of the many forms of entertainment I enjoy.

In the end it comes down to games, if MS has game I want I'll buy the console. Simple as that. Same goes with Sony.

They also can't afford to. Japan is a huge market for both Nintendo and Sony so second hand games are seriously influential to both of them. Unless Sony wants their console to die in their home region and lose out on 10-20 million sales, then by all means secede Japan to Nintendo.

That is why they may region lock on top of whatever plan they come up with.

derExperte

Except Steam let's you go offline for a month -- some games longer than that. Xbone is 24 hours.

FUCK THAT.

Steam has no offline time limit. Also other advantages the X1 won't have. (Damn, thread moves so fast, almost pointless to answer anything.)

Why is 24 hours bad? I cannot think of a situation where your internet would be off for longer than 24 hours besides when you're moving to a new house or your power was knocked out by a hurricane. Essentially it is the same system as steam only with a few improvements regarding trading.

Don't forget that it's 60 minutes if you are signed into any other console other than your primary one.

jtb

Banned
What happens in 6-8 years later when the Xbox One's servers (activation servers and DRM servers) aren't online anymore? I can still play all my 10 or 20 year old games fine. Will all of my games I (potentially) buy for Xbox One just stop working? Am I going to be able to even buy more Xbox One games beyond that point due to the dumb used game restrictions and lack of activation servers?

This is a major issue that isn't even being addressed.

we know how this is going to end.

xbone isn't backwards compatible, right? so... the writing should've been on the wall right then when a console built around your online identity and XBLA and things like that doesn't even carry over.

if there's a silver lining (lol, there really isn't one though) it's that I don't really see MS being too eager to dump the xbone anytime soon. expect a 10 year generation.

Gold Member
The more I read, the more I hate. Fuck this shitty system!

Don't let me down Sony, my pre order will go in the rubbish bin lol.

This is going to change consumer buying habits irrevocably!

I swear they will do all this anti-consumer bulshit and they will just end up with less people buying their games.

Ferrio

Banned
seriously.

I mean, what is that? you're that invested in a company you want everyone else to validate their shit decision so you can feel better about yourself?

fuck. you.

if Sony go down this road then they can shove the PS4 up their arse sideways for all I care. I'm not going to support either.

Microsoft using fanboyism against us. Fanboyism use to be stupid harmless fun... but now ugh.

commedieu

Banned
all of you corporate apologists defending this because of PIRACY.

gaming12.png

so pathetic...
they are spitting in the eyes of gamers. fuck them. if Sony does this, fuck them too.

Dahbomb

I want to know, MS, what about third world countries where there are no Gamestops, nothing of that kind, where indie stores (or mom and pops stores, whatever) sell games, huh? Or am I going to be fucked over when I purchase your console?
Microsoft's response to 3rd world countries is that since they can barely afford Internet they should not be purchasing video game consoles.

As a citizen of a 3rd world country, there is no reason someone from any of these countries should be purchasing an Xbox One. It's not a system built with the limitations of non-1st world countries in mind.

d0g_bear

Meanwhile, over in the "STEAM announcements" thread, we're laughing and throwing trading cards and free games at each other like it's a beautiful birthday party.

KHarvey16

"Family members" means "Same IP Address"

No.

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

They very specifically restrict it to family, so I wonder if it will take the location listed in the profile into account to tell.

This. What in the fuck is going on here? I just don't see how anyone besides MS and the NSA can be fine and dandy with this shit. And that is what this is. It's SHIT.

People are okay with steam and steam basically has the same system besides the 24 hour/month difference that probably no one will notice, so I can easily see people being okay with this.

Amir0x

Banned
Jim Sterling deserves special credit since May 21. He has not for one second allowed Microsoft to stomp all over him with PR nonsense. Sticking up for the consumers is the ONLY right thing to do as a game journalist; if you do not, get the fuck out

Mung

you have a shitty ISP if you are worried about your internet going down for 24 hrs constantly. Also, you don't need a fast connection, most likely just needs to ping a server. If you don't have an internet connection that can do that, yikes.

also sounds like you can use a mobile connection with the console as well.

Pathetic.

Fantasmo

The only difference is the 10 family members thing. That's it. They found the right words to confuse all of you and you're buying it hook line and sinker. Wow.

Wouldn't be surprised if everyone still needs to pay for Xbox Live. So basically all that's happening is family memebers might get to use your DLC and everything is the same.

Nothing has really changed for the better people. Don't support this.

Alebrije

Piracy on consoles is practically nonexistant, compared to PCs. the only console I can think of that had significant piracy was the DC.

Do not know in the U.S. or other places but here in Mexico 360 piracy is big. you can find in the street people selling tons of games and haking consoles....

1301729041_183655319_3-juegos-xbox-360-PIRATAS-COPIAS-Video-Juegos-Consolas.jpg

http://safe-img02.olx.com.mx/ui/6/0...XBOX360-EN-MATAMOROS-2-CONTROLES-9-JUEGOS.jpg

I am not blaming Piracy but its a factor that pushed Microsoft to make most of the current changes...

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This post needs repeating because it's probably a very good guess.

ive your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Sounds like that specifically isn't the case, read next time.

It's not as if they want them to do it, it's just a logical step to think Sony will follow suit. Calm down.

Its not a logical step, they are two very very different companies. What one does is not necessarily what another might do. oh and am very calm, i might still buy the console but its probably 3 years down the line.

jpd1408

Banned
I buy all my games and I have Internet so this does not effect me but how much is live going to cost? And what games can I play because that's all I'm interested in with these new gen consoles. If you can't rivals sonys line up I know where I'm spending my money.

Zeroth

Right.

Person 1 lives in House 1 and their primary device is Console 1.
Person 2 lives in House 1 and their primary device is Console 1.
Person 3 lives in House 2 and their primary device is Console 2.

Person 1 or 2 and can go to Person 3's house, logon to Console 2 as a guest and play any of the games linked to Console 1. But you're not going to be able to make Person 4 a 'family member', at least not without putting a big limitation on how the Console 1 users game.

You'll have to have your account linked to one 'home' console, and it'll be majorly inconvenient to try and have that be a console you don't typically play on.

There will definitely be a "home" console, since otherwise they wouldn't be able to know what Xbone should use the 24 or the 1 hour check. I'm curious how they will tie this, because there's certainly some catch on this.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
this is not a defense of microsoft but rather a criticism of a ridiculous argument

if your internet is regularly out for 24+ hour increments, then you have far larger problems than not being able to play your xbox in this hyper-connected day and age

a broadband connection is practically mandatory in the 21st century.

Well, then take the argument a step further. Lets assume that everyone actually has no problem getting a broadband connection in the 21st century.

What the hell happens when the servers go down for an extended period of time?

If a console has to call home, they need an actual home to call, so what happens if there's no one home?

We'd still be screwed either way.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Confirms it, only one active user of a game at any one time.

This. I don't see how people are reading this and thinking 10 of your family members can play at the same time. Hell, some people are even posting thinking this applies to friends.

Just gonna leave this here.
It's not possible for Sony to have a similar licensing infrastructure, because the console does not need to access the internet.
yeah i'm genuinely confused about sony being pulled into this, when they have repeatedly stated the ps4 will not need a persistent internet connection, or even the internet at all (IIRC)

Top Bottom