• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Akey

Banned
I like how it does not sound that bad....until you notice in 10 years your 60 dollar games are no longer in your possession as server have been turned off. Keep telling yourself everything is ok though.

-You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Is this true? Is the one transfer not per user? Like if I loan it to a friend that's my one loan used up but they can then transfer the game to someone else on their friends list, me included. Did I completely misunderstand that?

In all likelihood yes.

Fucking horrific. For the sake of consumer rights I hope this console flops.

Let me point this one out again...

How could it possibly mean same ip address when they specifically mention someone in your family playing at a friend's house.

Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.

Durante

Did you get paid to write that?
Looking at his history: yes, he did.

I can't even tell anymore. Guys?
That one is not joking, shill as well.

why are so many people happy about this? wtf is going on
Many of them aren't "people" as such.

It's cringeworthy reading through these threads and then seeing someone being A-okay with it also rocking a "Only an Xbox" label. Jesus.
It gets better when you start looking at the posting history of these accounts.

You find accounts with 40 posts that are only active to either defend Microsoft or shit on the products of one of its competitors, over years. You find people that implied XB1 hardware secret sauce right up to the reveal. Then you can start identifying the various diversionary tactics that have been designed to deflect from or counter genuine issues, and how they evolve over time. It's a dark place, and discovering it has made me a more angry poster.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, I hope the EU courts fuck Microsoft every way, and any Publisher that blocks used games sales as well.

Just gonna leave this here.
It's not possible for Sony to have a similar licensing infrastructure, because the console does not need to access the internet.

That address always online. They may use another system where you must go online to register the game to play (like steam) and then leave it up to publishers to let you trade in somehow... (in this case probably just let gamespot add an override key code once it says the now used game has already been registered).

Raptor

Look Microsoft, just let do whatever the fuck I want with my games after I paid for it, is mine, of my own, my precious and if I decide to give it to my brother/nephew/friend, irrelevant to you anyway I have to be able to do so without you fucking me in the ass any further.

You already have your money, what more you want?

You are stiking me that Kinect invasion to privacy garbage down my throat, what more do I need to bend over for you?

NO, FUCK YOU!

NO MORE!

nbthedude

"Family members" means "Same IP Address"

That can't be correct because:

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

And with this news I'm out.

MS are going to have to really blow me over at E3 to have any chance of getting me to consider an X1 in the future.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you really can share games with 10 people this system will sell itself in America once that news comes out.

You can't. This is total, purposefully vague, PR bullshit. It will be incredibly limited.

After all of this, they are not going to make it easier to share games with ten of your friends, or extended family or whatever.

Anyone who thinks differently need to reevaluate themselves... cause it's credulous as hell to fall for this shit.

kafiend

this is not a defense of microsoft but rather a criticism of a ridiculous argument

if your internet is regularly out for 24+ hour increments, then you have far larger problems than not being able to play your xbox in this hyper-connected day and age

a broadband connection is practically mandatory in the 21st century.

Yeah its not like people live in the country with little to no service matter.

Plus there's the indisputable truth that routers never - ever - not known in the history of humanity - go wrong.

Stop looking at the issue from an I have Internet 24/7 therefore those that don't must be doing something wrong viewpoint.

Sethos

Banned
I don't get this, the sheer lack of logic some people are displaying here.

Basically you want to teach "logic" by telling us that Microsoft need to make money, they are a business etc. something that 100% of NeoGAF knows but many doesn't give a shit about because they have no stake in Microsoft, aren't top brass that receives some of the cut or just doesn't give a shit in general as they are the ones suffering.

why are so many people happy about this? wtf is going on

I can speak for myself here. I love AAA gaming and I don't think the current economic model is working well enough for developers to take risks.

I believe that these sorts of moves will help the industry as a whole. I also put my money where my mouth is and only purchase new games simply because I want the companies that provide me something that I love to get my money.

lol.

If Sony follows, then Wii U future it is.

this isn't AS bad but it still is awful. Getting a pinecone up the butt is technically not as bad as getting shot in the nuts....doesn't make it desirable.

fucking shame.

bu-but we are listening gaaaiz

if Sony go down this road then they can shove the PS4 up their arse sideways for all I care. I'm not going to support either.

nMicYJd.gif

Dizzy

Banned
People think this sounds better than what we were expecting? No I'd say it sounds far worse. Sounded like you could resell your games no questions asked, now we find out it's up to the publisher to allow resale.

Just need Sony to give a final word on this. If they don't have it, awesome PS4 day one. If they do, well I'll just stick that £££ towards a new GPU or maybe even buy a Wii U on principle.

Mxrz

Fuck both of these companies if they think passing the blame on publishers will make me accept bullshit DRM. Every publisher will choose to block used games, because why not.

I won't buy either console and hope a crash happens.

Dunno. Activision never online pass'd any CoD did they? And those were probably the biggest games in the used market. EA is going to EA, and you get what you pay for when buying their junk. But I don't believe every publisher is going to jump in on it.

For better or worse, I like Jaffe's idea more than this full bullshit MS & EA are pushing. 2-3 months would be around when most titles start seeing price cuts.

Fox Mulder

They also can't afford to. Japan is a huge market for both Nintendo and Sony so second hand games are seriously influential to both of them. Unless Sony wants their console to die in their home region and lose out on 10-20 million sales, then by all means secede Japan to Nintendo.

Sony could just implement this shit for the west to keep most of the top publishers happy while doing what they need to do for Japan.

saelz8

I'm seeing Polygon Writer RT's pop up in my GAF Twitter Feed and I've never seen a bigger group of shills in my life.

Looking at his history: yes, he did.

That one is not joking, shill as well.

Many of them aren't "people" as such.

It gets better when you start looking at the posting history of these accounts.

You find accounts with 40 posts that are only active to either defend Microsoft or shit on the products of one of its competitors, over years. You find people that implied XB1 hardware secret sauce right up to the reveal. Then you can start identifying the various diversionary tactics that have been designed to deflect from or counter genuine issues, and how they evolve over time. It's a dark place, and discovering it has made me a more angry poster.

This is a huge thread, they have a lot of ground to cover. It's time to shine, marketing.

joelthecomic

Neo Member
They've effectively banned used games. Yes, you can get them at Gamestop but that just means the Gamestop, and the publishers, will control the price.

This ends any type of free, secondary market for used games which will result in higher prices on ALL games, because the publishers will no longer have to lower a new game's price to compete with the used market.

Gaming is about to get really, really, really expensive compared to the current gen.

jjasper

Well that solidifies that. Not buying this at launch. I'll reevaluate it after it has been on the market for a while to see if steam like sales happen and how the family sharing works out. Since with no private sales I will never buy a disc for this system.

Just gonna leave this here.
It's not possible for Sony to have a similar licensing infrastructure, because the console does not need to access the internet.

Sony's rumored used games policy used an offline system. but last we know of, they were not sure themselves if they were going to implement it.

seriously.

I mean, what is that? you're that invested in a company you want everyone else to validate their shit decision so you can feel better about yourself?

fuck. you.

if Sony go down this road then they can shove the PS4 up their arse sideways for all I care. I'm not going to support either.

Bolded because its worth repeating.

Its not a logical step, they are two very very different companies. What one does is not necessarily what another might do. oh and am very calm, i might still buy the console but its probably 3 years down the line.

Third parties are the ones who really pushed for this, and I don't think Sony would ignore them.

Yes, I'm worried about small independent stores that sell used games. I buy many of my games used from a local game store that has 3 stores/chains in the city. They are great because they are constantly adjusting the prices of their used (and new) games, unlike Gamestop. (They seem to put a used price on a game and leave it like that for a year). I would hate to see the XBox One hurt their business.

Forget the United States for a second...do you know what percentage of new/used game retailers in South Korea are "mom & pop" (privately/family owned)?

100% of them.

eorl

Banned
I'm starting to see a trend here. Most of the people that have said "this doesn't sound so bad" have a only on xbox avatar or is a junior. How the fuck can this be supported? When I read "publishers can enable you to sell your games" my eyes almost rolled to the back of my head. It would suck buying a game you don't enjoy at all and have to deal with it.
Because it has been the norm for the past 8 or more years that Steam has been online. As I said before, the "cheapness" of Steam doesn't really come into effect outside of America. So really its just Steam but in a box.

Uhm, no. If Sony do the same, I'll crucify them too. Fuck them both if Sony go ahead with this shit.

Yup. this isn't an either or situation. If sony rolls out something similar, they deserve to get shit on, too- perhaps to a greater degree because they've had plenty of time to see the microsoft backlash.

bon

MS has been trying to ease people into these horrendous policies by dancing around the issue, and now they're making minor concessions that barely fix anything. Don't fall for it. This is not reasonable. This is not acceptable. I know we all love video games, but you should NOT feel obligated to buy an Xbox One just because it's a new console. Don't defend it just because you liked the 360. Microsoft doesn't deserve loyalty. This is toxic hardware.

Top Bottom