• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.
“There are our policies and we are really excited about them. By adding them we have shown that we are definitly listening,” he said.
annnnd there it is.

Whitten said:
Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

There you have it people, Microsofts plan B. If they can't shove it down your throat NOW then they will bide their time, get you to "invest" in your Xbone and then a year or two from now BANG always online back yada yada yada.

Caayn

Is this common knowledge? I must have missed that news. That's a pretty big deal for me.
Jup it's region free after you download the new announced day one patch. Microsoft says this in their own news release. "Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. "

iDAw2Rqorf3HE.gif

Chaeotic

Neo Member
So they waited for the car to plummet of the side of the cliff BEFORE they decided to maybe try avoid that railing?

What a fucking mess. On the bright side, Microsoft PR are kept busy in a job, huh?

Garjon

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.
Who said this, Mattrick or Polygon? Because it is condescending as fuck. 'These features weren't good enough for the peasants.'

jjasper

So essentially they thought they could show some games and everyone would forget their bullshit policies. Then when they didn't and they started getting preorder numbers in they changed course. Makes sense.

Sulik2

Seems like Microsoft was betting on Sony following their lead. When they didn't they got caught and had to backpeddle. The inevitable was only delayed for another 5 years. I will miss not having to keep the discs in the console, but the family sharing was never made clear to let us know whether it was worth the DRM madness.

ascii42

The console is not always on, but they can have always online games.

Hopefully not

Well, some games are naturally going to require you to be online, like MMOs, as well as games that use the cloud. But it's a positive that it'll be just some games, and not all.

I don't believe for one second the outrage did anything.
Shit's just a story arc to make people feel like they can accomplish things by voicing their opinion when they really can't.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So they can reverse the reversal at any time...
Only reason why they changed their mind is fear. IF they get successful and dominant, if the fear of downfall disappears, we now know what they will do. These policies will come back as soon as they get a grip on the market.

Spoo

Um...

This is a fucking Trojan horse. Can't confirm that they won't change their policies later? Jesus.

spirity

No. You hoped gamers would see the games at E3 and lose their shit and rush out and pre-order xbox one's en masse.

But instead, everyone turned around and told you to fuck off, and pre-order numbers reflected that.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
They are gonna just keep on keeping on with the own goals aren't they?

Reversed policy still open to reversal... they couldn't even dress that one up.

Back to ignoring whatever MS is bringing to the table, they were so close too, dang.

thefit

It has been weeks that people were asking some clear details about these features but you stayed unvlear or just doged the questions. Just like you did with Angry Joe.

1371680137133.gif

Man I bet he is even more steamed knowing this is in the internets ether for infinity lol.

Diagol

What the fuck.

Yeah I'm definitely not risking this BS again. If I do get an Xbone, it'll be in quite a few years just in case they don't reverse the reversal.

Hex

Banned
Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future

"But we guarantee it will not happen until our pre-order and sales numbers are up, you have our most sincere word. We promise."

fin

Seriously? This really sucks. I was looking forward to sharing my library with my family and friends, and them sharing with me. I was willing to live with the DRM to share my digital games with friends. MS should just remove the disc drive from the fucking machine.

Cryolemon

Well, some games are naturally going to require you to be online, like MMOs, as well as games that use the cloud. But it's a positive that it'll be just some games, and not all.

I'll be interested to see which games go actually do use the cloud.

IMGF

Neo Member
I'm just picturing all of the backpedaling they're doing over at MS with this announcement and I can't help but hear Yakety Sax playing in the background.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They still can't guarantee they won't reverse the reversal. That quote is thread-worthy. This company. This is nothing more than a way to quell the venomous PR, and not an indication of even their long-term goals.

Surely they could leave the sharing stuff on for DD content.

Can they give a straight answer on FUCKING ANYTHING? What a mess. You'd be an idiot to touch this thing.

Bedlam

As for the sharing: MS could just require people to stay connected while using shared libraries. Same as with the cloud functionality.

Why not leave the forward thinking policies on dd's? If they expected me to bring my library to a friend's house just by logging on, then they aren't too worried about bandwidth caps.

Carl

It's nice to know they're still pushing ahead with the "all our execs must sound like fucking idiots" policy

Top Bottom