• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Brenna Hillier via VG247 said:
The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.

Wow. Really sounds like gamers are losing out, according to VG24/7. Maybe it was all a mistake! What if we don't know what's good for us? :(

Cidd

Atrapitis.gif

Jup it's region free after you download the new announced day one patch. Microsoft says this in their own news release. "Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. "

Awesome. I read that thinking they were talking about the IP restrictions where you couldn't play your XB1 in a foreign country. I guess their game region locking was all tied into that.

You don't think they're dumb enough? Where the hell have you been?

Their decisions showed they were out of touch, not dumb. The fallout from reinstating features that were so poorly received MS actually undid them would be nothing compared to the fallout of pulling a bait and switch with those aforementioned features.

I think they know that. I would be shocked to see them try to weasle them back in.

thefit

With a quote like that don't be surprised if this patch isn't ready till after launch day. If sales pick up they aren't going to be in any hurry to get that patch ready. Trojan horse.

splattered

So instead of completely removing the 24hr check and game disc registration... why don't they just make it an optional benefit for people that are willing and able to do so and give us back the family sharing plan as incentive?

Mononoke

Banned
Again, I call bullshit. MS never actually revealed the full details of their family share plan. Seems to me like they are using this as an excuse to blame Sony for delaying the future. For delaying this supposed great feature, and now the world is going to be deprived of it. How do we even know this feature worked the way they claimed it did? That it was even going to be what they said it was?

Just seems to me, like a strategical move to play the martyr. And what's more, I highly doubt these major publishers were going to sign off on this share plan. They were all strongly against used games and trade in sales, so why would they ever be okay with this?

Just everything about this seems suspect.

sqwarlock

Sounds more like they were waiting to see how many customers would take their bullshit lying down. When it ended up being, "not a lot", they backed down and changed. That's the complete story.

malfcn

If they would have just told her complete story maybe more people would have been onboard. Things like Family Library sound really cool, but got over-shadowed by DRM.

hongcho

Seeing that Yusef Medhi was absent at today's policy reversals, it's very likely that he was the key proponent of the initial XO DRM requirement. I guess we won't see him on Xbox anymore.

megalowho

You don't cancel a slew of interviews and proceed to spend E3 in tone deaf hard sell mode in order to weigh opinions between two potential outcomes. Not to mention the amount of planning and work that had to go into the hardware architecture to arrive at this point in the first place. They were in and got spooked, and trying to spin even that just tells me Microsoft PR still thinks they're the smartest folks in the room. Sincerity matters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm not seeing the quote about not being able to reassure people that they won't change the policies in the future in the Polygon article. Just in the vg247 one.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wow. Really sounds like gamers are losing out, according to VG24/7. Maybe it was all a mistake! What if we don't know what's good for us? :(

Entitled, whiny, ignorant, irresponsible.... Until this industry attitude towards the customers that support them changes, problems won't go away.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
"Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future."

So....they can still fuck us in the future? Really MS...come on.

Is Microsoft really bad at pr or something?

First, they fuck up whatever grand plan they had for the xbox one by completely bungling the explanation for their weird DRM.

Then, they take away the DRM and make a lot of people happy.

And lastly, while everyone is popping bottles and tossing hundos at strippers, some Microsoft dude, when asked, "could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future."

Bros. Come on.

ElRenoRaven

Jesus can you get any bigger a load of bullshit then that. Oh Oh guys we totally were going to change this. We just wanted you to see how bad it could be and to see how much we could have dug our feet in.

That is the largest load I've ever seen.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

First, they fuck up whatever grand plan they had for the xbox one by completely bungling the explanation for their weird DRM.

And lastly, while everyone is popping bottles and tossing hundos at strippers, some Microsoft dude, when asked, "could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future."

Bros. Come on.

It's incredible lol

IMGF

Neo Member
I like how they're now spinning the removal of all those features they couldn't explain properly as a punishment for the gamers because we didn't want to abide by their DRM policies while at the same time spinning this new set of policies as a positive thing as they want their sale numbers to go up.

The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

How did VG247 arrive to that conclusion
“There are our policies and we are really excited about them. By adding them we have shown that we are definitly listening,” he said.

From that?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Bros. Come on.

Um, would any company rep ever say "No, we will never ever ever change our policies" ?

I don't get why this is odd... You mean the timing of it?

lazydom

I suspect we'll never know the full story behind the family plan, mainly because I don't think m$ had any idea how to implement it, without it being abused.

Jac_Solar

Seriously? This really sucks. I was looking forward to sharing my library with my family and friends, and them sharing with me. I was willing to live with the DRM to share my digital games with friends. MS should just remove the disc drive from the fucking machine.

I think it's extremely unlikely that it would have worked like that -- just share your games with some people. I think they wanted people to believe that, but in reality it would have worked like; Publishers or developers could let their games be shared. Big games would most likely not be shareable.

Or, they simply meant that an account on the Xbox One would be able to share whatever games it has installed to 10 other accounts on the same Xbox One. A game that is capable of being shared has 10 'share slots'; once an account uses a game, it has to be deleted to free up that use slot. Obviously, only one person would be able to play at a time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
HEY I WANT MY $6 Day 1 Halo 5/Battlefield 4 due to 10 Family Shared Plan

DAMMIT GAF, YOU RUIN EVERYTHING

THANKS FOR NOTHING!

Top Bottom