• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

CypherCross

Neo Member
People's been b*tching about their policies since the Xbox one reveal. If they were to "listen", they would have changed it before E3. They had plenty of time to change it but they didn't and instead they stick by their original policies and basically giving us the middle finger. And now they said they were listening to us? Is that a joke microsoft?

They didn't listen to us. theyare just going where the money is.

My guess is that we obviously don't know the full story here. For MS to change this early on is most unusual. Something major definately happened to them that we don't know about for this complete turnaround. Maybe their preorders were so bad? or maybe investors advised them or something? We will probably never know.

It's good news although was hoping I wouldn't have to keep changing discs whenever I wanted to play another game. Love having it all on HDD without stupid disc checks. Not even PC games do that anymore.

"We have actually been planning on reversing the policy since even before we revealed it not even two weeks ago. I mean, really, we issued that first policy knowing completely that we were yanking it. Honest. You can put that on my moms."

synce

Why do I get the feeling every major publisher will use "the cloud" for "extra processing"? (Read: DRM)

It's one thing to be a fanboy because you like a certain company's console or IP's over another. It's another thing to champion a system and corporation trying to fuck you over. I use to love listening to Cheapy D and the CAcast, but after this I'm starting to wonder about him.

Also, they removed family sharing. The one thing attracting me to the system in any way.

Family sharing is untenable with how used games are currently done. I'd definitely take normal used games over family sharing. It was highly likely publishers were going to complain heavily or disable that feature anyways.

Also that interview is some grade A bullshit. A complete rework of policy was just waiting for "gamers to hear the whole story?" What story was that, MS trying to fuck us?

So if you were going to buy the Xbox One BECAUSE of the always on and sharing features and didn't mind the DRM, do you go for PS4 now that they are similar in policies and different in price/power?

Microsoft reacted too hard to the backlash. They needed to find a middle ground or compromise and make it optional. It's really weird to me how they just suddenly gave up on something they were pushing SO hard last week. That major Nelson gif is perfect.

graywolf323

It's one thing to be a fanboy because you like a certain company's console or IP's over another. It's another thing to champion a system and corporation trying to fuck you over. I use to love listening to Cheapy D and the CAcast, but after this I'm starting to wonder about him.

Also, they removed family sharing. The one thing attracting me to the system in any way.

did he delete the post? I can't find it on Facebook

shaowebb

How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.

kuroshiki

To be realistic, any company can change their policies at any time.

In Xbone's case, DRM removal is just a simple 'patch' that can be 'patched later on' again. They already built the system (like windows azure server) for DRM shit for a year now.

For Sony, they have to build everything from ground up if they want to build this kind of DRM shit. Not likely gonna happen.

Dark Rider

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

Yeah I don't trust MS now and I won't in the future too (unless something utterly hugs happens).

TehuberOne

Neo Member

*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Couldn't have said it better.

I don't give a shit how they changed their mind, they did and that's all that matters! I buy every system and will continue to as long as I don't have to be told what to do. Thank you Microsoft, and thank you Sony!

Now, if Nintendo would listen and give us Mario Galaxy 3, a new IP, and join reality.

khaaan

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.
I know most agreements have something along the lines of "Subject to change without notice" but given that it's Microsoft...

tumblr_m0fn35viXq1r6v6va.gif

Niks

HagVvXx.gif

Blueblur1

Figured as much. This confirms that I will never buy their console since they're pretty much reserving the right to fuck us over later.

Regardless of pros and cons, winners and losers, I find it sad when people cave on their visions. As one who likes and utilizes all gaming but generally favors the Xbox platform, MS actually lost some of my respect today. I kind of liked that they tried new stuff, whether people thought they were insane or not. I kind of don't like that they caved to the video game equivalent of 5,000 Comic Book Guys from the Simpsons all screaming out at once.

Shosai

Banned
In Xbone's case, DRM removal is just a simple 'patch' that can be 'patched later on' again. They already built the system (like windows azure server) for DRM shit for a year now.

For Sony, they have to build everything from ground up if they want to build this kind of DRM shit. Not likely gonna happen.

It takes two lines of code to activate/deactivate the 24-hour internet check-in. And if Microsoft can't get away with enacting DRM before anyone has even put money down on the console, then there's no way they'll be able to restrict ownership after the fact

Regardless of pros and cons, winners and losers, I find it sad when people cave on their visions. As one who likes and utilizes all gaming but generally favors the Xbox platform, MS actually lost some of my respect today. I kind of liked that they tried new stuff, whether people thought they were insane or not. I kind of don't like that they caved to the video game equivalent of 5,000 Comic Book Guys from the Simpsons all screaming out at once.

I find it odd that you would characterize people vocally opposed to strict region locking and mandatory 24-hour authentication as 'comic book guys from the simpsons'

sometimes visions are shitty.

Jonm1010

Banned
How long until they "surprise" everyone with a $399 sku too?

I got to admit I'm happy they reversed their policy but the initial attempt to money grab and put the middle finger up to consumers in the process has probably permanately soured me on the Xbox brand.

At this point I have a feeling the sentiment in their office is not "geez what can we do from here on out to always please the consumer and not be so out of touch?" It's most likely more "goddammit we have no choice with this public backlash, lets get hard to work on ways we can manage to minimize this hit and find more subtle ways to ram it to the consumer so we can still deliver our estimates to our shareholders."

sullytao

For me personally, the trust is gone. Even though they dropped all the bad features, they have still damaged there reputation significantly. The arrogant and belittling statements made by the pr and execs won't be forgotten so easily. If they truly want to win back gamers, they have one hell of a mountain to climb.

"Well I WASSSSS going to take you to Disney World but you were acting like a little shit so now forget it"

Thinking about it, if there is no longer any always online requirement and you can share games (?) as you can now what does that mean for the console wars?

Sony was making alot of adverts and virals banking on MS going all the way with this and hitting them where it hurts. I would say they played a huge part in making MS change their policies.

How funny would it be if MS doesn't go into 3rd place as ppl predict from this, or dare I say it, stay in their strong position wouldn't it look like a win from a consumer/critical standpoint at managing to change a stubborn companies policies?

Nonetheless it is still $100 more and less powerful. So digital foundry performance comparisons would be a wipe-wash straight away.

I think the promises for sharing were the straw in this charade. Even at neogaf we couldn't really understand how they worked, and I don't think MS could have implemented them without them being exploited ... Then MS are back at square one.

hom3land

Ooh I so hope there is going to be a sequel to the book about the 360.. Would love to read the chaos that is going behind the scene right now.

DarkCloud

Only reason why they changed their mind is fear. IF they get successful and dominant, if the fear of downfall disappears, we now know what they will do. These policies will come back as soon as they get a grip on the market.

Not in this generation it won't. If the authentication is not there day one they can't just flip a switch and lock those games to your profile like they originally were going to. They'd have to start with a mid gen wave and that would never fly. Plus how are they going to make you download the update to switch the 24 hour check back on...kick your door down and hold a gun to your head?

Omnicent

iyBb8RiGI6jLb.gif

What's the point of doing this if there is no guarantee for the consumer that they want revert back to the previous policy?

I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Raiku

Poetry.

Top Bottom