• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Zok310

Banned
Reading this carp made feel like i started a bs fight with my girl only to call her up later with some bs excuse as to why i made her feel bad, and beg for forgiveness.

Zeth

No company will ever promise their policies will never change. That's ridiculous. A sane Sony PR person would say the same thing. If that's the worst thing people are taking away from this article, I'd say MS PR is doing considerably better this week than last :lol

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.

I still don't understand why some of these features have to be cut because they got ride of the DRM and 24h check-in. Scenario-

Bob has a collection of digital bought games. He can play all of them offline if he wants. But he can also go to his friend John's house and play them. All he has to do is make sure his console is connected to the internet (since both consoles have a semi-on state the console doesn't have to be fully on). He goes to his friends house, also connected, logs in and accesses his library, seeing that he's accessing his library on another console the system locks his library on his console at home, even if it goes offline at this point he won't be able to play on it again. The only requirement for playing on a second console is you must be connected to the internet at all times. He plays his games, and heads home. When he gets home turns his console back on, accesses his library and the system stops the second console from accessing them. Easy-peasy.

Liamario

Banned
I respect Microsoft for knowing when they're beat, but that's where it ends.
They aren't champions of consumer rights. This decision was based purely on uproar from consumers and poor presales relative to PS4.

They've shown that they aren't interested in the complaints of the consumer; until of course it hurts their wallet. They would have gone ahead with it, were it not for the feedback they received from gamers.
Thankfully they listened to sense and ignored the fanboys who'll justify to themselves, any policy which MS throws at them.

VVIS

Neo Member
This is a classic PR blunder. Mis-message your core features and confuse your base. LEAD with BAD NEWS. Hide or completely ignore your good news. Misconstrue the screaming random fanboys (that apparently don't even buy games) for your base. Clarify the good part of the features very quietly, and then without waiting nearly long enough for that to percolate - backtrack and piss off another half of your market.

Why did we sit through bullshit PR speak at E3, instead of a live DEMO of the sharing features. I can play my friend's game, who lives across the country - for free? Sign me up. Surely SOMEONE storyboarded that shit when they started prepping for the E3 show?

No company will ever promise their policies will never change. That's ridiculous. A sane Sony PR person would say the same thing. If that's the worst thing people are taking away from this article, I'd say MS PR is doing considerably better this week than last :lol

You mean the same PR that said earlier this week that a native always online console made it possible for games like World of Tanks to exist on Xbone? That PR?

VVIS

Neo Member
I still don't understand why some of these features have to be cut because they got ride of the DRM and 24h check-in. Scenario-

Bob has a collection of digital bought games. He can play all of them offline if he wants. But he can also go to his friend John's house and play them. All he has to do is make sure his console is connected to the internet (since both consoles have a semi-on state the console doesn't have to be fully on). He goes to his friends house, also connected, logs in and accesses his library, seeing that he's accessing his library on another console the system locks his library on his console at home, even if it goes offline at this point he won't be able to play on it again. The only requirement for playing on a second console is you must be connected to the internet at all times. He plays his games, and heads home. When he gets home turns his console back on, accesses his library and the system stops the second console from accessing them. Easy-peasy.

They'd have to be able to discern between "a digital only" copy of a game, and "a digital install" of a game that came from a disc. Wasn't the idea that discs could only be shared once or something? Seems easy, if they had started with that notion. Who the fuck knows what anyone is thinking up there.

ERC198X

Banned
How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.

HILARIOUS!

iyBb8RiGI6jLb.gif

What's the point of doing this if there is no guarantee for the consumer that they want revert back to the previous policy?

I'll be cautiously optimistic.

lol that gif is perfect. I would be pissed if I invested hundreds of dollars in games for them to do a 180 again "Surprise motherfuckers you didn't think it was that easy!"

poof, back to being tied to their servers. I don't trust them

This is a classic PR blunder. Mis-message your core features and confuse your base. LEAD with BAD NEWS. Hide or completely ignore your good news. Misconstrue the screaming random fanboys (that apparently don't even buy games) for your base. Clarify the good part of the features very quietly, and then without waiting nearly long enough for that to percolate - backtrack and piss off another half of your market.

Why did we sit through bullshit PR speak at E3, instead of a live DEMO of the sharing features. I can play my friend's game, who lives across the country - for free? Sign me up. Surely SOMEONE storyboarded that shit when they started prepping for the E3 show?

And I suppose you're more representative of MS' core base than the "screaming random fanboys?" Talk about hubris. Some people care more about consumer rights and the ability to play offline than jumping through hoops to scam the friend feature. Are you sore because you'll have to continue paying for your games?

N2NOther

Banned
So basically, they thought we would eat the bullshit DRM no used games, only give away once, participating retailers garbage because the whole store was "I know you're pissed, but...GAMES!"

Yeah, that was a dumb idea.

Mxrz

This is some staggering levels of bullshit. They're trying to act like this was all some sort of master plan and they never wanted to do this stuff. What a fucking disaster. Gates should fire everyone involved in this.

VVIS

Neo Member
And I suppose you're more representative of MS' core base than the "screaming random fanboys?" Talk about hubris. Some people care more about consumer rights and the ability to play offline than jumping through hoops to scam the friend feature. Are you sore because you'll have to continue paying for your games?

Firstly I don't consider anyone on gaf a screaming random fanboy. You have to know about games to be here.

Secondly, I had the hopes that by locking it down a bit, the system would become more like Steam. Steam doesn't even let you share games yet. But they have sales, and entire price tiers that don't really exist on console.

It probably wasn't gonna go down like that, but that was my hope.

Also, I think you'll see that most of the big games will be using shit that requires you to be online anyway...so you'll be online. That pretty much sucks for gamers like me that keep all consoles forever. Eventually games like Destiny and The Division simply won't work.

Just what I gather - no way of knowing.

badb0y

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.
Are they being serious right now? Why the hell would you say this when people already don't trust you....Jesus

ypo

So how can World of Tank on the X360 be made without X180's shitty DRM? Sucks to be that developer right now.

Afrit

Well, here is Sony intention (by SCEE CEO Jim Ryan):
"I mean who knows, some force majeure situation comes up years down the road – nothing’s forever necessarily – but these are our policies and we intend to stick by them."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64580226

Codeblue

What?

Do you think it's cool that Microsoft thinks their software would be enough to distract from a pure shitshow in every other permanent aspect and philosophy of the system?

That's what I find insulting. The number of media members acting like its all cool when Microsoft would have never reversed if it wasn't for Sony going against them is strange.

Forgive, but don't forget for a second what their plan was and the remnants remaining of their controlled experience (Kinect).

Shiny lights shouldn't distract from what is a concentrated effort by Microsoft to encroach on the rights and utility derived from the physical games we own.

My point was that if Microsoft did think their software would be enough to distract people, then that makes their statement true. Some people are calling BS without stopping to think what they're calling it on.

Chaos17

Wouldn't just bringing back all the DRM after having an established fanbase be major false advertising?
They can since it's just a patch/online update for them, it seems.

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

Source : http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715

Sorral

Not buying your shit Whitten. Not the xbone and not what you say.
tumblr_lo97dwdeVT1qh261h.gif

How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.

Fucking Ace.

kuroshiki

I really, really don't see that happening. I mean, look, consumer pushback was so great that they changed the policy less than a month after announcing the console. So there's already this precedent of 'we do not want this', the outrage and PR would be unthinkably bad if they were to switch to a DRM-based system mid-gen. Of all the potential ways Microsoft could screw up with the One, I think the used game/check-in is officially fixed.

Consumer taste can change over time.

Also, after the significant investment is made, consumers are more willing to be fucked over. For example, if someone made hundreds of investment in iOS app store, more than likely he/she will stick to apple unless some sort of cataclysmic shitstorm happens.

People who designed this shitty system of DRM authorization are still at large and they just 'patched' the system. They can always, I mean always, change and introduce 24hr online requirement back. Whoever say there is zero chance is fooling themselves. Just look at what MS was doing past couple of months.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Really Microsoft?

A few days before E3 you have a press release 'clarifying' how the always online, DRM etc was going to work. You staunchly defend it through E3, even going so far as telling consumers to buy a 360 if you want to play offline and now you say you wanted the complete story before making any changes?

Ummm okay.

Good on them for reversing their decision but this makes them look ridiculous. And I'm still not getting one.

What a terrible article.

They try to make the DRM policy seem progressive and positive, that the gamers are conservative and narrow minded because we want to protect our consumer rights.

If only we heard the whole story before being against DRM!

Screw you MS/Polygon

Simple.

Preorder numbers weren't satisfactory so they dropped the DRM and whatnot to get rid of some of the negativity surrounding Xbone and therefore get a higher number of people pre ordering the console.

Once the install base is big enough, and publishers can no longer ignore not releasing games on the platform, MS reserves the right to implement those draconian DRM policies back onto the XBone for awesome power of da cloud gaming.

His definition of the complete story must be different than mine. Even before the backpedaling we never found out:

HOW the family plan worked
HOW selling used games would work
WHAT kind of pricing structure was going to be for live
WHO was the genius who decided that revealing the bad news first, and the dribbling conflicting information was a good idea.

To name but a few.

They can always implement it later on. Structural backbone has been made. They have plan (and probably already established given the launch is within 4-5 months) to implement it and mean to implement it.

After they get the firm grasp on the market you can't deny that there is a chance they'll launch it. Gamers by then who significantly invested on the platform have nowhere else to go but suck on it. That's what I'm afraid of.

Also for switch the 24 hour check back on is easier than you might think. MS will hold games as their hostage. Imagine you already have bunch of friends who are playing some multi player game and bam. MS introduced this.

What you gonna do, jump the ship? Nope. you'll suck on it.
Wouldn't just bringing back all the DRM after having an established fanbase be major false advertising?

I would think reversing this reversal would be more than just false advertising, it would be breaking a contract. Whether it would survive lawsuits is a guess, but Sony had to deal with litigation over Linux removal. Even if you win these actions, it still costs. There is no way Microsoft ever implements their initial policies, the backlash would be too fierce.

It's too bad they didn't keep the Family Sharing if you bought digital versions. That's the feature we really never got the full story of. I looked at my hefty game collection and there are a lot of titles I would never have bought if I could share a friend's copy. Developers and publishers must have put up their own stink about that.

Deraj

When the "complete story" contradicts the previous 99 % it's obviously revisionist spin. Somebody show me Titanfall coz I'm out.

Sky Chief

I just have no idea how people can forgive Microsoft so quickly. The fact that they thought these policies were a good idea in the first place doesn't sit well with me and this interview is just so full of BS. I will trust them again when they totally change their management team.

mr_nothin

Banned
Microsoft: "Lets see if they swallow this shit once we show them the games....."
Gamers: "Whoa cool.....Nope"
Microsoft: "Lets give them a few days to think about it"
Gamers: "Nope"
Microsoft: "Fuck, PS4 outselling us by 6-1....drop everything!"
Gamers: "..............ok, we'll take it"

Top Bottom