• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Azull

Hahahahahahaha yeah right. You guys were fighting for your former policies like it depended on all your lives.

Also, if they changed their policies once, who says they wont do it again? The legal issues would be extravagant but this is MS here.

Microsoft: "Lets see if they swallow this shit once we show them the games....."
Gamers: "Whoa cool.....Nope"
Microsoft: "Lets give them a few days to think about it"
Gamers: "Nope"
Microsoft: "Fuck, PS4 outselling us by 6-1....drop everything!"
Gamers: "..............ok, we'll take it"

1 year later.
Microsoft: "Let's try again, maybe now that they have bought some games they'll swallow"
Gamers: "we were so naive"

CLEEK

Unless the exec team changes at MS, I'd image the desire to implement the DRM / always online stuff will remain. It's like in politics when controversially policy gets vetod. The policy makers don't suddenly think "ah well, it was worth a shot" and give up, they try and reintroduce the policy in watered down form, or piecemeal over time.

Whether they do another u-turn later down the track an re-implement DRM is to be seen. I doubt it, due to the outcry, but I'd bet good money the desire to re-implement it will be under the surface. Too many execs and engineers worked on the new system for them to just say "fuck it" and walk away forever.

Minions

I would think reversing this reversal would be more than just false advertising, it would be breaking a contract. Whether it would survive lawsuits is a guess, but Sony had to deal with litigation over Linux removal. Even if you win these actions, it still costs. There is no way Microsoft ever implements their initial policies, the backlash would be too fierce.

It's too bad they didn't keep the Family Sharing if you bought digital versions. That's the feature we really never got the full story of. I looked at my hefty game collection and there are a lot of titles I would never have bought if I could share a friend's copy. Developers and publishers must have put up their own stink about that.

That's actually not how it works. When you buy a console you agree to all kinds of terms. One being they can end or change the service terms at any time for any reason. Just because they change the video game portion of your console(s) terms does not make it illegal in any way.

Hell in the terms it says they can end your service for any reason they want. (The same as banning you). You buy the hardware, you are not guaranteed anything basically. Even if you games no longer function your TV functions still will.

Shit sucks, and even if you wanted to file a class action lawsuit you couldn't, as all lawsuits go to deliberation on a person by person basis, as per the terms of your agreement.

Flatline

Banned
Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

Can someone explain to me how I am supposed to trust this company ever again? Complete control of their console and its user was obviously part of their plans for a long time so who can assure me they won't try to do this again?

onQ123

The strange thing about all this DRM mess is the fact that it's something I thought of years ago, good thing I'm not running a console business lol.

SRTtoZ

Can someone explain to me how I am supposed to trust this company ever again? Complete control of their console and its user was obviously part of their plans for a long time so who can assure me they won't try to do this again?

MS Yeserday: "$499, tons of DRM, trust us! it will be fun!"

MS Today: "No DRM! Will never implement it again! Trust us!"

Azull

Actually, isn't it in MS's TOS that disallows there customers filling a lawsuit against them? If so, ITS A TRAP!

graywolf323

Unless the exec team changes at MS, I'd image the desire to implement the DRM / always online stuff will remain. It's like in politics when controversially policy gets vetod. The policy makers don't suddenly think "ah well, it was worth a shot" they try and reintroduce the policy, even in watered down form, or piecemeal over time.

Whether they do another u-turn later down the track an dre-implement DRM is to be seen. I doubt it, due to the outcry, but I'd bet good money the desire to re-implement it will be under the surface. Too many execs and engineers worked on the new system for them to just say "fuck it" and walk away forever.

yeah the fact no one seems to have been fired over this debacle is really surprising

anyone who brings up Sony in 2006 has to keep in mind they've had a lot of turnover since then

Spongebob

Banned
How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.
Magnificent.

DBT85

Today we have decided we don't want to fuck you after all, but we might change our mind in the future.

Kiss kiss

RuGalz

I don't even understand why they felt the need to come out and say this. Change the policy and just shut up -- keep whatever integrity there is still left instead of damaging the positive effect of the changes.

I don't even understand why they felt the need to come out and say this. Change the policy and just shut up -- keep whatever integrity there is still left instead of damaging the positive effect of the changes.

They cant help themselves. They just cant stop saying stupid shit. It's because they were getting their ass kicked by PS4 preorders. They know it. We all know it. The journalists know it. But they just dont want to say that's why they changed the policy. Fine then dont say anything. But they cant help themselves.

Dead Man

They cant help themselves. They just cant stop saying stupid shit. It's because they were getting their ass kicked by PS4 preorders. They know it. We all know it. The journalists know it. But they just dont want to say that's why they changed the policy. Fine then dont say anything. But they cant help themselves.

It would kill them to admit an error.

Dunan

5zAxyXG.jpg

If Microsoft changes their minds again and puts the anti-consumer garbage back in, what do we call the console?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No company will ever promise their policies will never change. That's ridiculous. A sane Sony PR person would say the same thing. If that's the worst thing people are taking away from this article, I'd say MS PR is doing considerably better this week than last :lol

PR bots are averse to these kind of commitments, sure. But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW0Qbdkyih0&t=70

Adam Boyes on PS4 DRM etc. "It's a closed issue. It'll never be brought up again."

MS needs to get someone out with the authority to make a commitment on it, at least for this generation. Being a VP of Xbox, Marc Whitten ought to be in a position to do that.

People don't want to see asterisks attached right now.

Biker19

Banned
Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

I knew it. I seriously doubted that they wanted to throw away the DRM policies after all the millions that they spent implementing the feature on the XBO.

They're just going to secretly implement the feature one update at a time through firmware updates to unsuspecting consumers.

Bar81

The thing that is most concerning is that it needs to be patched out. Why is it going to be in there in the first place since the machine hasn't even entered manufacturing? Fool me once...

The thing that is most concerning is that it needs to be patched out. Why is it going to be in there in the first place since the machine hasn't even entered manufacturing? Fool me once...

I was wondering this too, but I think the realistic reason is that they can't get it done in time before systems need to be manufactured and flashed with the OS. They're probably on a tight deadline to get the OS finished as is and now suddenly there's a new "feature" that they didn't plan/account for in the development cycle that needs to be implemented in time for manufacturing. Thus they need to get the OS done and then can make it a priority after that deadline happens to remove it. It's possible they not only need to modify the OS but the SDK tools as well.

Microsoft: "Lets see if they swallow this shit once we show them the games....."
Gamers: "Whoa cool.....Nope"
Microsoft: "Lets give them a few days to think about it"
Gamers: "Nope"
Microsoft: "Fuck, PS4 outselling us by 6-1....drop everything!"
Gamers: "..............ok, we'll take it"

1 year later.
Microsoft: "Let's try again, maybe now that they have bought some games they'll swallow"
Gamers: "we were so naive"

So sad and so true.

I do not see what people find so wrong about this. It is an inevitable future, one where Sony will have to listen too if they want to survive in the future. Digital distribution is already here but not yet in its most strongest and safest form, but it will be.

Whether that quote is positive or negative is another thing. He does make it sound like he will change everything back to what it was when everyone bought their Xbox 180, so they are screwing over pretty much everyone but I doubt that will happen.

They have already been through a huge PR mess and I doubt they are that stupid.

Rephil

..please be excited for our fineprints..

It still amazes me that they have yet to explain anything about that console that I can clearly understand. Even the damn cloud shit is confusing. The only thing I know is that the triggers and force feedback. That's it. Quite literally every other aspect has had a conflicting report, and they've been from MS themselves. If they don't even know, how they hell and I supposed? No way I'm giving them a dime.

If Microsoft changes their minds again and puts the anti-consumer garbage back in, what do we call the console?

Xbox 720 I guess.

Empty

pretty sure he's just saying they were hoping people would forget about drm after seeing their e3 games, when things only got worse they had to change it.

Yagharek

It would kill them to admit an error.

It took them a year to admit RROD, and in that year they still flipped off customers with inane statements like "things break" and "user error". They also lied about and never admitted to Fifa hacks.

They basically dgaf about customers' opinions or thoughts, they only behave pragmatically when their bottom line starts to take a hit.

How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.

Best analogy of what happened at E3 2013.

eso76

i told you man, that question GAF asked about how the family share plan was supposed to work was far too detailed and made MS think of aspects of the thing they never considered.

Made them realise it could not work, that's why they had to make a 180.

Top Bottom