• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

but also should you take your disc to a friend’s house and install it there, they have the option to purchase it after you leave, saving them the hassle of getting their own disc; it will be as if they bought it from Xbox Live.

Wait. What?

If someone has the option to purchase something, they'd obviously have to be connected to the Xbox Live marketplace to make the transaction. So... I don't see a benefit here. If it's just like they bought it off Xbox Live, why are they just not buying the game off Xbox Live?

sublimit

Banned
giant-spinning-top.gif

ascii42

Wait. What?

If someone has the option to purchase something, they'd obviously have to be connected to the Xbox Live marketplace to make the transaction. So... I don't see a benefit here. If it's just like they bought it off Xbox Live, why are they just not buying the game off Xbox Live?

This way they don't have to actually download the game.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. Regardless, given that they already had mechanisms in place to allow game sharing, you can be assured it will return in the future, when they are better able to communicate the DRM requirements for the feature. As something to opt into, there is room for compromise at this juncture, rather than forcing it on people.

This is a very good point. My hope is they can leverage their reversal with publishers to allow family sharing and other cool digital services down the line.

How it went down was like this.

Microsoft showed up and said "Who wants it in their ass!"
*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*
Sony showed up and said "Who wants blowjobs!"
*the line wrapped all the way around the internet*
Nintendo showed up and said "Who wants to be friends and hang out!"
*some folks not looking to get serious smiled and frollicked their way*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Nintendo continued to play with blocks with their friends.

the amount of almost instantaneous forgiving & forgetting up here has definitely been pretty stupefying to see :) ...

Still on the fence, here.

We never knew how those policies were going to play out to begin with, so it's hard to say whether or not people saved the day or ruined innovation.

*a few hands were raised out of trust most turned and put their backs to the wall*

Microsoft then got jealous and noticed that those currently tied up in a relationship with them were crying and in pain from their idea and many were waddling away bleeding to the more fulfilling Sony lovedown happening around the corner.

Microsoft then apologizes and says "Its okay baby...I was only experimenting. We'll go back to doing it the old way like before." to which many of their old relationships nervously acknowledged and went back into their arms. Comforted...but still nervous as to whether or not Microsoft may try to sneak it in their ass again despite their past discomfort in hopes they may eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

I bow to you sir.

Vestal

Gold Member
iyBb8RiGI6jLb.gif

What's the point of doing this if there is no guarantee for the consumer that they want revert back to the previous policy?

I'll be cautiously optimistic.
because you can't back yourself into a corner on any policy. Never say never.

kuroshiki

Not in this generation it won't. If the authentication is not there day one they can't just flip a switch and lock those games to your profile like they originally were going to. They'd have to start with a mid gen wave and that would never fly. Plus how are they going to make you download the update to switch the 24 hour check back on...kick your door down and hold a gun to your head?

They can always implement it later on. Structural backbone has been made. They have plan (and probably already established given the launch is within 4-5 months) to implement it and mean to implement it.

After they get the firm grasp on the market you can't deny that there is a chance they'll launch it. Gamers by then who significantly invested on the platform have nowhere else to go but suck on it. That's what I'm afraid of.

Also for switch the 24 hour check back on is easier than you might think. MS will hold games as their hostage. Imagine you already have bunch of friends who are playing some multi player game and bam. MS introduced this.

What you gonna do, jump the ship? Nope. you'll suck on it.

Still on the fence, here.

We never knew how those policies were going to play out to begin with, so it's hard to say whether or not people saved the day or ruined innovation.

There's nothing innovative about a online parole officier that stops you from playing your games just because you haven't connected in 24 hours.

I'm looking forward to seeing innovations within games in the coming generation, not looking at anti-consumer restrictions put upon games in the hope of some unknown silver lining coming into being.

trmas

Banned
Honestly, I am horrified that the majority of American gamers and the press will swallow this BS and preorder anyway. How stupid do you have to be to believe such a statement?

So the only change they made is to disable the 24 hour check in... or did they?

However, they could turn it back on if they feel like it?

Next story: Microsoft mandates all games use The Cloud.

I do like the idea that Microsoft put forth they're original plan with the intention of showing what could be. There were some good aspects to the plan.

I like the idea that I'll wake up tomorrow with millions in my bank account.

Honestly, I am horrified that the majority of American gamers and the press will swallow this BS and preorder anyway. How stupid do you have to be to believe such a statement?

People are stupid enough to have allowed Xbox Live Gold to exist for multiplayer gaming. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Well, it's a step in the right direction but, you still are going to have a tough time selling me on a vastly weaker console that costs $100 more, with a tacked on useless peripheral and useless TV features I simply do not want, and will likely never use. Then expect me to have faith that you will not reverse the whole online DRM decision in the future. And on top of it all, try to make the argument that I may still need a high speed connection, perhaps mandatory to even play certain single player games, because they need the power of the cloud. It's a step in the right direction but you guys still have one hell of a hill to climb before I bite.

They should rename the console to the Xbox Spinfinity since neither the console itself nor the PR guys have figured out which way it's headed yet.

smik

wow!

power of the internet.
power of the pre order numbers.

one more thing left, take always on kinect shit off the console, and make it cheaper.

CypherCross

Neo Member
Xbox One official first time installation screen
xboxonescreen1.jpg

Actually it's just something I made in photoshop as a joke. but I am sure it's something along those lines... haha

FyreWulff

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members;

Like I can by lending a family member a disc, or gasp.. just letting them play on the console, since the game works for all profiles

taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine

which you can already do with the 360.. log into your gamertag, and download your digital content. AMAZING

and the ability to play without a disc.

Another thing the 360 could do. People that didn't want discs are already buying digital.

Another thing the 360 could do. People that didn't want discs are already buying digital.

Why are people having trouble grasping that someone wants to play their game without a disc but still have full consumer rights of the physical disc they bought? Going digital gives up your rights and abilities of a physical copy.

Stillmatic

Am I missing something?

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.

Why can't they still do this? You can do all that now with the PS3 with digital games can't you (except not 9 people)? I haven't really done it so don't know for sure, but that's what I thought anyway.

TriAceJP

You mean I can't go over my friends house and download a 15 GB game instead of just bringing my disc with me?!

Microsoft, why did you change that?! It was genius!

blackflag

What a load of shit. They really expect us to believe they announced it at E3 knowing they were going to change it? No...that did not happen.

Codeblue

I actually don't see what's BS about this.

I seriously think Microsoft somehow came to the conclusion that their lineup would soften people up to the idea of DRM. The backlash continued and they reversed their policies.

Pyronite

I actually don't see what's BS about this.

I seriously think Microsoft somehow came to the conclusion that their lineup would soften people up to the idea of DRM. The backlash continued and they reversed their policies.

Don't step in front of the Gaf troof train, bro.

Yagharek

Trojan console confirmed.

With this, Achilles drew his bronze-tipped spear from the corpse and laid it down, and as he began to strip the blood-stained armour from Hector’s shoulders he was joined by others of the Greeks, who ran to gaze at Hector’s size and wondrous form. Yet all who approached struck the body a blow, and turning to a comrade, one said: ‘See, Hector’s easier to deal with now than when he set the ships ablaze.’ With that, he wounded the corpse.

When noble Achilles, the great runner, had stripped away the armour, he rose and made a speech to the Achaeans: ‘Friends, leaders, princes of the Argives, now the gods have let us kill this man, who harmed us more than all the rest together, let us make an armed reconnaissance of the city, while we see what the Trojans have in mind, whether they’ll abandon the city now their champion has fallen, or whether they’ll fight on, though Hector is no more. But why think of that? There is another corpse, unwept, unburied lying by the ships, that of Patroclus, my dear friend, whom I shall not forget as long as I walk the earth among the living. And though in the House of Hades men may forget their dead, even there I shall remember him. So, you sons of Achaea, raise the song of triumph, and drag this corpse back to the ships. We have won great glory, and killed the noble Hector, whom the Trojans prayed to like a god, in Troy.’

So saying, he found a way to defile the fallen prince. He pierced the tendons of both feet behind from heel to ankle, and through them threaded ox-hide thongs, tying them to his chariot, leaving the corpse’s head to trail along the ground. Then lifting the glorious armour aboard, he mounted and touched the horses with his whip, and they eagerly leapt forward. Dragged behind, Hector’s corpse raised a cloud of dust, while his outspread hair flowed, black, on either side. That head, once so fine, trailed in the dirt, now Zeus allowed his enemies to mutilate his corpse on his own native soil.

DRM this.

JABEE

Don't step in front of the Gaf troof train, bro.
What?

Do you think it's cool that Microsoft thinks their software would be enough to distract from a pure shitshow in every other permanent aspect and philosophy of the system?

That's what I find insulting. The number of media members acting like its all cool when Microsoft would have never reversed if it wasn't for Sony going against them is strange.

Forgive, but don't forget for a second what their plan was and the remnants remaining of their controlled experience (Kinect).

Shiny lights shouldn't distract from what is a concentrated effort by Microsoft to encroach on the rights and utility derived from the physical games we own.

“You have to be connected [for cloud processing to work]. All of the things that require the internet will require the console to connect. We want and expect most people to take advantage of those things, but we also want to give people the choice that they can play offline,” Whitten said.

Who needs 24 check ins when every game needs the all powerful Cloud?

UFRA

This is incredible LOL

They can always implement it later on. Structural backbone has been made. They have plan (and probably already established given the launch is within 4-5 months) to implement it and mean to implement it.

After they get the firm grasp on the market you can't deny that there is a chance they'll launch it. Gamers by then who significantly invested on the platform have nowhere else to go but suck on it. That's what I'm afraid of.

Also for switch the 24 hour check back on is easier than you might think. MS will hold games as their hostage. Imagine you already have bunch of friends who are playing some multi player game and bam. MS introduced this.

What you gonna do, jump the ship? Nope. you'll suck on it.

I really, really don't see that happening. I mean, look, consumer pushback was so great that they changed the policy less than a month after announcing the console. So there's already this precedent of 'we do not want this', the outrage and PR would be unthinkably bad if they were to switch to a DRM-based system mid-gen. Of all the potential ways Microsoft could screw up with the One, I think the used game/check-in is officially fixed.

Top Bottom