• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive D4 is selling like complete shit, please help me #SaveD4

Sordid

Nice thread, op. It's a shame this isn't selling as it's a great wee game. If anyone is on the fence about buying this, jump in!

I don't think we can make that sort of claim, there are so many other factor to consider. It was always going to be a niche game no matter the platform. Deadly Premonition only crossed 50,000 3 months after it launched.

Releasing it during TGS isn't a terrible idea, the execution was just bad. If Microsoft had a stage show and announced that it was releasing the next day, that could have worked. D4 was originally supposed to come out in February, who knows how well it would have done if it was released back then?

Not that I agree with him but you realise that those Deadly Premonition sales help his point, right? They were solely on the 360, it wasn't until 2013 that it came out on the PS3 and Steam (outside of Japan, anyway).

Anyway, I loved Deadly Premonition and I'd love to play D4 but there's zero chanceof me being an Xbone for it. So I guess I can only hope that it follows the lead of a lot of Microsoft's other mid-tier games (like Lococycle, Max, Fable Anniversary, Ori and State of Decay) and is ported to PC.

That sucks, but what did Microsoft expect? I would've bought it if I had an Xbox, but I've been telling everyone I know who has one about it. Unfortunately it's a hard sell.

N30RYU

You should have had a deadly premonition with all that MS funding and the unexisting marketing for the game.

Looks like a I'll rather pay to have it (even if I'm uninterested), than have it released on other platforms MS new direction.

If you somehow managed to get free from were you've gotten into, I'll gladly buy it for PS4... but that's not gonna happen.

Ishan

im surprised how far off the radar this game has fallen. It was part of xbox e3 then even ign etc (big name sites) previewed it as unique and then it just vanished till now when i saw on gaff its out. I mean any lack of sales is just on ms at this point. The media tried to cover it. just like dclub will be on sony too atleast they're giving a fifth of that game away for free on ps+.

Hasney

... Fuck sake. I'm reduced to buying the game before I even have an XB1. Christ Microsoft, run an ad or something.

Suddenly thinking this is Scalebounds fate too.

Ishan

... Fuck sake. I'm reduced to buying the game before I even have an XB1. Christ Microsoft, run an ad or something.

Suddenly thinking this is Scalebounds fate too.

think they'll market that. phantom dust on the other hand dunno

It's a decent game with one fundamentally flawed gaming element (using stamina for everything which completely breaks your immersion in the game to constantly have to dive out to get food or to purchase it). Every action you do, even moving forward, drains stamina. The game does not seem to want you to keep exploring as it penalises you for doing so.

It has stopped me enjoying this game at all and I don't really want to go back to it. I understand why it's not selling well.

Sillverrr

This game is exactly my cup of tea, but I won't buy it because I don't want to play anything that is unfinished. Same reason I wait for the Telltale games to release all five episodes before playing. I've read enough books where I'm waiting on the authors to finish the series (Rothfuss/GRRM), watched enough seasons of ongoing TV shows, etc.... it's time to consume media where I know I am going to experience the bloody ending.

You can blame me for not buying into this series, in order to support its completion, but that's just the way I feel right now. I'm sick of loose threads.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you want us to buy an episodic game that ends on a cliffhanger and currently has no further episodes in production? Isn't that just a recipe for blue balls? If there was some way to be reassured we'd get closure I'd be more inclined to try it out. Even if that was just a 'if we don't make any more games I'll release a web comic or something'

So you want us to buy an episodic game that ends on a cliffhanger and currently has no further episodes in production? Isn't that just a recipe for blue balls? If there was some way to be reassured we'd get closure I'd be more inclined to try it out. Even if that was just a 'if we don't make any more games I'll release a web comic or something'

quit trying to bring logic into this, the internet is for knee jerk reactions only!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Don't own a Bone. But my friend who is not into Japanese games who does own a Bone got it. I guess there's that. If it ever comes to PC I'm there day 1.

Hubble

Really glad this movement has come about in such short of time.

I did not play it yet but I did buy the game hearing it is an one of a kind for an episodic title being top notch. Everyone else please do.

I'd love to buy it, but I'm not going to buy an XB1 for it, put the game on other platforms and I'll be on it like strawberry jam on a sinner's sandwich.

Springy

I'm interested in D4 and OP's plea is really well-delivered, but episodic games are anathema to me (doubly so if, in this case, a continuation is unsure). Is this game enough of a self-contained experience to be satisfying in its own regard?

cafemomo

Sad to hear. Quite odd to see MS fund a title then throw it in the gutter.
I have no intentions of owning a X1 but I iwsh him the best with his game.
It should've been on PS4 instead, in order to try to boost more sales for that console over in Japan.
It's not their responsibility to sell the PS4

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Microsoft helps fund a good Japanese game and don't advertise it very well. Gamers go out and buy a ps4....beg it comes to their system. The way of the world

Not that I agree with him but you realise that those Deadly Premonition sales help his point, right? They were solely on the 360, it wasn't until 2013 that it came out on the PS3 and Steam (outside of Japan, anyway).
I probably didn't word it well, but I was using that to show that Swery's games aren't big sellers in the first place. I don't think it being on other platforms would make its sales go "through the roof."

Do we know the sales for the PS3 and PC version of DP?

KHlover

Banned
Unfinished episodic game with halted development? That's a major red flag right there. Sorry OP, wouldn't buy even if I owned an Xbox in the first place.

NolbertoS

Blame MS, for not hyping the game like crazy. Phantom Dust was also a niche game that didn't sell many copies, but developed a hardcore following eventually. Hope at least it gets some future DLC.

jgminto

I'm interested in D4 and OP's plea is really well-delivered, but episodic games are anathema to me (doubly so if, in this case, a continuation is unsure). Is this game enough of a self-contained experience to be satisfying in its own regard?

The ending is a cliffhanger but the world it builds so far with the story and the collectables is already engaging enough.

wilflare

I would buy this game but I don't own a XB1 and I don't feel inclined enough to buy a console just for it.

I would definitely support it if it comes to other platforms (PC, PS4, WiiU)

Alfredo

I fear the affable Swery might become the next Kamiya with everyone port begging him on Twitter.

Also, yeah, buying D4 without knowing if the series will have actual closure kinda sucks, but it's also only 15 dollars (assuming you already have an Xbox One). You get a good amount of content for that price.

Labrys

I unfortunately do not have a Xbone, but my friend does so I'll buy it for him or something. It's an interesting premise though, if I ever do get one I will definitely buy.

Hambodias

Neo Member
I don't have an xbone, but I've been watching a playthrough. Now that I see that it's doing this bad I'm gonna go ahead and buy it when I get paid.

It'll be like paying for a movie ticket.

I still want to know if I can buy this game digitally without owning an XB1?

I tried to do so with the webstore earlier but it had fits and never loaded. Trying to use my 360 gamertag account to buy it, wonder if that's the problem

Top Bottom