• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive D4 is selling like complete shit, please help me #SaveD4

D4 was treated like complete shit at Microsoft's E3 booth. They literally hid his game behind a pillar in the back of the booth. It took me a day and a half to find it. The MS reps at the booth never even heard of the game...the game featured at their booth. Swery was there to witness this BS. -_-

Nillansan

DAT desperate need. I don't blame you, D4 is a tremendous game. Episodic game done right.

Swery was able to do in two episodes what Telltales have failed to over five damn games.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as port-begging, I just couldn't constrain myself from responding to Gvaz's post out of excitement.

CommunistLayton

Neo Member
Just as a heads up, if anyone decides to try this game I would strongly encourage that you at least give the Kinect controls a try. I had never played a Kinect game that actually used it well at all and so I was mostly trying it out in D4 as a joke, and it pretty much sold me on the idea of Kinect controls within the first 20 minutes or so. You miss out a lot by playing it with a controller, in my opinion.

Somehow, from a consumer perspective, Microsoft has done some good for work in the last year to win me over. Sure they fucked up marketing for D4, but if Swery gets some money with every games-with-gold download and it's enough to make Episode 2 and someday all episodes will be on PC too...? That kinda sounds good for me, for Swery and in the end for everyone.
Good move, Microsoft.

[...]I would strongly encourage that you at least give the Kinect controls a try.
I'll do that. Alex Navarro recommended that too.

BondFancy

Just finished it last night with my girlfriend. We were soooooo sad when the credits hit. We absolutely love the game, and really want to see what happens in the rest of the story. I hope GWG saves this game!

Gestault

Dear SWERY:

Shoulda gone Multiplatform, dude. Deadly prem sold like gangbusters on PC, Especially after Durante fixed it up.

It's down to who was willing to fund the project. It's true that it would have had more chances to sell on more platforms, but someone's gotta keep the lights on for the project to get made in the first place.

Also, having finished this not too long ago, I've gotta recommend it to basically anyone even a little bit curious about it. Such a cool blend of oddball elements with thriller storytelling.

It's down to who was willing to fund the project. It's true that it would have had more chances to sell on more platforms, but someone's gotta keep the lights on for the project to get made in the first place.

Also, having finished this not too long ago, I've gotta recommend it to basically anyone even a little bit curious about it. Such a cool blend of oddball elements with thriller storytelling.

It's an MS funded game. There's a certain expectation that it should come to PC that doesn't necessarily apply to other console exclusive.

I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been announced for PC already, but that might change later this month. I'm personally hoping we get a PC announcement alongside a second season announcement.

Gestault

I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been announced for PC already, but that might change later this month. I'm personally hoping we get a PC announcement alongside a second season announcement.

That would make sense. I'd assume the reason there's not a PC release announcement is that they're still gauging viability from the sales performance on the XB1 version. There's not a reason to rush either a follow-up or PC port until they have a good sense of what to expect from its reception. For a title that relies on word-of-mouth because of its style, that won't be a quick thing to see (even as many months out as we are now).

Just finished D4. I loved the atmosphere of the game and the music but... Im glad I didn't spend a whole $15 on it. The game was entirely way too short for $15

sangreal

Just finished D4. I loved the atmosphere of the game and the music but... Im glad I didn't spend a whole $15 on it. The game was entirely way too short for $15

I felt it was better when on my 2nd playthrough when I learned you could go in and out of jumps and there were some puzzles that required doing that (for example, there is one that requires you to do some stuff in the 2nd episode before the 1st)

Gestault

I felt it was better when on my 2nd playthrough when I learned you could go in and out of jumps and there were some puzzles that required doing that (for example, there is one that requires you to do some stuff in the 2nd episode before the 1st)

Absolutely. I didn't even understand this until the Avaante Gaaarde side-mission. I need that stupid outfit so bad.

Gestault

I think it's kind of up to each person to decide whether something holds value at a price or not...

Right, but pointing out how many hours of content it has compared to full-priced games would be useful information, correct? Like they did in that post?

My first playthrough was roughly five hours, if memory serves. I know I'm close to double that now, and I think I'm basically done.

That would make sense. I'd assume the reason there's not a PC release announcement is that they're still gauging viability from the sales performance on the XB1 version. There's not a reason to rush either a follow-up or PC port until they have a good sense of what to expect from its reception. For a title that relies on word-of-mouth because of its style, that won't be a quick thing to see (even as many months out as we are now).

It shot to top of the the best selling game list after it went GwG, so I think there's enough of an install base for MS to at least consider a second season on X1.

The cost of porting it to PC alongside continued support might be a different matter though, but as I said, I won't be surprised if season 1 is announced for PC at some point.

Thunderstorm910

Neo Member
I really enjoyed the Super Best Friends' playthrough of the first episode, so this is definitely a game I'd like to see more of.
Neat artstyle, immersive environments, and intriguing characters.

Too bad it's exclusively on Xbox One..

I really enjoyed the Super Best Friends' playthrough of the first episode, so this is definitely a game I'd like to see more of.
Neat artstyle, immersive environments, and intriguing characters.

Too bad it's exclusively on Xbox One..

I wouldn't say it's too bad. If MS hadn't funded the first season, we probably wouldn't even have it right now.

It's not like Swery is beating off demands from publishers to fund his games...

Top Bottom