• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

How do you set kinect up to where you can browse menus/netflix with your hands and also how do you go in and out of standby mode? When I say xbox turn off it literally tuns off the machine. Thanks

To initiate the hand gesture control you should just have to raise your palm to the side of your head.

You probably need to run Kinect calibration from the settings menu if it isn't picking anything up.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
My wife just texted me my daughter was pouring water on top of my Xbox one and ps4 today... I'm in for a disappointment when I get home I think..

Wow - that's terrible. Make sure NOT to turn them on when you get home until you are POSITIVE there is no moisture at all in them. How you go about determining that, I'm not sure as you'd probably have to crack them open and I know I wouldn't want to do that with such new systems :(.

If they break when you power them up, phone up the store you got them from tell them what happened and hope they have mercy on you. If they don't, next stop manufacturer. Sometimes they'll take pity on you.

Good luck.

I bet your wife did it and is blaming the kid ;)

Some people mentioned they are having issues starting it up with voice? Mine works flawlessly. I really really love the ability to watch tv and play a game so cool. Overall I haven't had an issue other than last night for some odd reason me and a friend couldn't talk in party chat but he restarted and it fixed the issue so not sure what the deal was.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My wife just texted me my daughter was pouring water on top of my Xbox one and ps4 today... I'm in for a disappointment when I get home I think..

I want to see this picture.

Also I love how your wife chose to take pictures instead of stopping it...that would be my wife's reaction as well.

tynestar

Getting time warner errors when switching to hd channels. Says channel not available press a to try again.

Works hooked directly to TV

Probably should have tried this first but a reboot of my cable box seems to have cleared up this issue. Now to figure out how to make it turn my tv on when I say "Xbox On"

jdmonmou

If anyone has an HTPC with Windows Media Center, you can control it through Xbox. You need an IR receiver to connect to PC and an IR cable to connect from the Xbox to the IR receiver. Type in Microsoft when the set up guide asks for the brand of set top box.

Krilekk

Banned
Green Screen of Death here. I get home, have the console and five games waiting for me, plug it all in, start it and I never saw anything besides the logo screen. Turned to black after some minutes, then just didn't do shit anymore. Second boot same thing, let it sit there for half an hour, nothing. Third reboot: No more green screens, just black void, sometimes flickering.

Spent one hour on the phone waiting for support, talked to them, got to know how you delete the system cache on X1 (hold power button for ten seconds to turn it off) and then got told to return it where I bought it (impossible, they don't have any systems left) or start a repair ticket. Takes 2 to 3 weeks til they send my console back. Yay! Wanna know what the worst part of it is? I experienced the same shit with my original Xbox. Bought it day one, mainboard broken, waited three weeks for a replacement. Had RRODs and DVD drive failures on various 360s.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do now. Might even turn to the dark side and go PS4 only. I am just annoyed by this big useless black box that's much louder than I anticipated, quiet it is not. But the controller is beautiful.

The Flash

Banned
Green Screen of Death here. I get home, have the console and five games waiting for me, plug it all in, start it and I never saw anything besides the logo screen. Turned to black after some minutes, then just didn't do shit anymore. Second boot same thing, let it sit there for half an hour, nothing. Third reboot: No more green screens, just black void, sometimes flickering.

Spent one hour on the phone waiting for support, talked to them, got to know how you delete the system cache on X1 (hold power button for ten seconds to turn it off) and then got told to return it where I bought it (impossible, they don't have any systems left) or start a repair ticket. Takes 2 to 3 weeks til they send my console back. Yay! Wanna know what the worst part of it is? I experienced the same shit with my original Xbox. Bought it day one, mainboard broken, waited three weeks for a replacement. Had RRODs and DVD drive failures on various 360s.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do now. Might even turn to the dark side and go PS4 only. I am just annoyed by this big useless black box that's much louder than I anticipated, quiet it is not. But the controller is beautiful.

I'm in a similar boat. On hold with MS now. I'm remaining pretty positive about it surprisingly since GameStop has to give me a new one if it ends up being a dud. It sucks but that's what happens sometimes with new tech. I knew that going in so that's helping me stay level headed about all of this.

rhinosmitty

Neo Member
I'm one of the unlucky ones who ended up with a borked BR drive. Tried 3 different games and a movie. It doesn't make the super loud grinding noise that I have seen on YouTube but it's definitely making weird noises. Everything else works flawlessly - Kinect, TV, etc is freaking great. GameStop called corporate to get me a replacement, but they had no ETA on when that would be. So, until then, I am stuck with Kinect Sports and Ki...hoping for a replacement before the holidays next week!

dochuge

So the FIRST time I start the xbox one I can't get past the hit A button on controller screen. I reboot and Im setting it up. It wants to update and I see, its "getting ready" message and then nothing. Is there supposed to be something after the its getting ready message? This thing is off to a very wobbly start.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay I am REALLY freaked out. I can see the red lights SUPER BRIGHTLY now so I went to take a picture with my camera and in every picture they are not showing up. but they are still there in my vision what is wrong with me

Okay I am REALLY freaked out. I can see the red lights SUPER BRIGHTLY now so I went to take a picture with my camera and in every picture they are not showing up. but they are still there in my vision what is wrong with me

That sounds weird. I thought the IR lights weren't supposed to be visible?

Colbert

Banned
I can see three red lights in the middle of my Kinect. Are those always on?

The lights are there but not always. I can see them also but they disappear after a period of no voice commands. At least in my imagination.

Google is your friend for this given the variance in routers. But basically:

1. Log into router using a web browser
2. Find firewall/NAT settings
3. Add exceptions/rules for Xbox One's IP address

problem is, my router assigns a new IP to my xbox everytime i switch it on

ekim

lol... I remember a photo from Albert Penello here on GAF where he said, that the IR lights are only really visible on photos.... Hehe

The Flash

Banned

I'm afraid it's too late Y2Kev. The process has already begun....

5IN7Lm8.jpg

OT:

Got off the phone with MS and they basically said that I have a dud. They said that I could either ship it to them and they'd send me a new at some point or I could give it back to the retailer. Called the GameStop that I got it from, talked to the manager, and it looks like I could a get a replacement tomorrow if they do overnight shipping or I could get it as early as this coming Monday. I also get to keep my Day One controller if the replacement they send is just a standard SKU. All things considered, everything went better than I could have expected. A little bummed that the one I have now isn't working but I'm happy that GameStop is working to get me a replacement as soon as possible.

Messi

My kinect works in games like FIFA I can make sus by calling out names but on the dashboard none of the voice commands work. It does not even listen for them. I cant use xbox record that either and its making me sad.I am saying xbox right next to it. 3 of my friends are all the same. Any ideas?

Colbert

Banned
My kinect works in games like FIFA I can make sus by calling out names but on the dashboard none of the voice commands work. It does not even listen for them. I cant use xbox record that either and its making me sad.I am saying xbox right next to it. 3 of my friends are all the same. Any ideas?

Recalibrate your Kinect! -->

Step a) Turn up your volume (some fair amount) of your AV system or TV.
Step b) Goto Preferences -> Kinect -> Kinect cannot hear you. That will start the calibration process from the initial setup.
Step c) Go through the calibration process as described on your XBox One
Step d) Turn down volume to normal degree.
Step e) Try out voice commands again

Had also to go through this because in the initial setup I didn't turned up my volume!

Hope this helps...

Tsundere

Banned

Y2Kev is a bot confirmed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Couldn't find this for some reason.

I couldn't get my console to boot up. Remembered the PS4 had bad HDMIs so I swapped the boxed in one with the one from my old Xbox and presto, it works.

Sordid

My left bumper clicks loudly and feels crisp while my right bumper clicks quietly and feels a bit 'softer'. Does anyone else have this? The bumpers work fine so I'm hoping it doesn't affect the controller in the future.

IRQ

Banned
Hey
Did any of you found out how to make the controller always invert as standard?

I did that on my 360 so every game I put was inverted without me having to go to the game menu to do it every time.

malfcn

My DPAD down.

Most of the time works.
Sometimes doesn't work.
Sometimes multiple downs.

Impulse triggers buzz too much?

JaggedSac

My left bumper clicks loudly and feels crisp while my right bumper clicks quietly and feels a bit 'softer'. Does anyone else have this? The bumpers work fine so I'm hoping it doesn't affect the controller in the future.

Mine do the same thing. Strange.

Jack_AG

Banned
problem is, my router assigns a new IP to my xbox everytime i switch it on
Look at your Bone's mac address. Write it down and assign a static to that mac ad via your router.

If you have a newer router with slick UI it might even list all devices by mac address currently hooked up.

Kalm

I've had my X1 setup for about 12 hours now and, so far, it's been silky smooth except for two things:

- On first boot-up, got stuck on the controller sync ("Press A") bit.
~ It registers the "A" press but can't progress further. Tried a second time, same thing.
~~ Tried a third time -- this time powering on the X1 and controller separately -- and it worked.

- When watching a Blu-Ray, the video cuts out for a second whenever I try to use voice commands.
~ For example: "Xbox, pause" --> Video cuts out, TV UI pops up a "No Input Source Detected" --> Video comes back a second later with the Kinect voice overlay.
~~ This happens every time, on every Blu-Ray I've tried. Still unresolved.

Rourkey

It tell my xbox one to output 5.1 PCM but my receiver gets to 2.0PCM, I guess this is because my TV is 2.0pcm, isnt there anyway to force it? ive turned display discovery off.

Miles X

Finally, been looking for this thread for the past day!

My friend is having major problems with his internet and connecting to Xbox One, got him to type the problem out.

"When I first went to set up the wireless internet on Xbox One it caused my internet to cut out everywhere in the house. The first couple of times trying this I just put it down to unreliable internet, but it’s happened without fail each time I’ve tried to do it.

Eventually, after several hours, I lost patience and just hooked my Xbox up directly to the router viable Ethernet cable. This gave my Xbox One internet successfully and I was able to complete the system update and start playing. However, this also caused me to lose internet everywhere else in the house still, and I’ve really no idea why.

I have Sky broadband (not the most reliable in the world, but it’s mostly serviceable and I’ve used the exact same wireless set-up to game without this problem on PS3 and Xbox 360).

Tl;dr – literally every time I turn my Xbox One on it causes me to lose internet everywhere in the house and I have no idea why it's happening."

Your router should have an option called Static DHCP or similar, where you can assign a local ip to a MAC direction, making your X1 having always the same IP.

i found the thirteen ports that needed forwarding last night on the net. forwarded them, abd then assigned a new I.P address to my xbox and its all good now... nat open

Vestal

Gold Member
Anyone have an issue with playing Kinect sport rivals. Everytime I try and play it takes me to a window saying something in regards to needing clear space for Kinect to work.

any suggestions are welcome. Outside of that everything good so far.

oh and I have it in the living room about 10 feet between Kinect and the couch.

GlamFM

Banned
OK, something weird happened this morning.

In Forza 5 while being introduced to a new event I had some strange artifacts all over the screen every time a new car was shown to me.
I´m not sure if it was meant to be some sort of effect for transitioning between the cars or if my GPU is dying.

Do you understand what I mean?

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Yeah it's supposed to be a transition effect. All career intros are videos anyway so no worries about your console.

Anyone have an issue with playing Kinect sport rivals. Everytime I try and play it takes me to a window saying something in regards to needing clear space for Kinect to work.

any suggestions are welcome. Outside of that everything good so far.

oh and I have it in the living room about 10 feet between Kinect and the couch.

I had this problem too. You have to set up the Kinect in settings. Go to the option where "I moved my kinect" and select it. From there make sure it can see your floor and set its level below you.

golem

OK, something weird happened this morning.

In Forza 5 while being introduced to a new event I had some strange artifacts all over the screen every time a new car was shown to me.
I´m not sure if it was meant to be some sort of effect for transitioning between the cars or if my GPU is dying.

Do you understand what I mean?

Thoughts?

Sounds like a GPU or overheating problem. If it keeps happening i would get it replaced..

Top Bottom