• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Encountered a strange bug today.

Basically, the Home screen was running at a lower framerate (30 fps vs the normal 60 fps). I found this very distracting as it ruined the fluidity the UI is supposed to offer.

Does anyone know a quick way to turn the Xbox all the way off? I had to go into Power settings and disable Instant On before shutting it down in order to completely reboot it. Using Instant On, the problem would always be presented. After doing a full reboot the UI was back up to 60 fps.

I don't know what happened.

Colbert

Banned
I can see mine. Three lights. perfectly observable. They're dim, but there.

I see them too but there are not distracting. My Kinect sits beneath my 40" LED directly at the edge of the frame that holds the display. While playing games or watching TV I don't notice the lights at all.

SleazyC

Cross-posting this from launch thread:

Looks like my Xbone just bit the dust. Used it last night to watch some TV and got up this morning and it won't turn on via Kinect. Holding my finger over the xbox log on the console will cause the system to beep, light will come on and then shut off after a second or two.

Power brick light goes from white to orange in that span. Anything special about Day 1's besides the controller? Figuring I can take it back to Best Buy but my chances of getting a Day 1 are slim to none.

EDIT - Anyone know if I go through Microsoft for a replacement if I will get a new Xbox One or are they already shipping out refurbished units?

Anyone encounter this issue? Fairly certain I'll need to get a new system.

GlamFM

Banned
OK, this sucks big time.

All my saves are gone.

Forza won't even load (I get a "loading failed" error message), DR3 and Ryse do load, but behave like I started them for the first time.

Is there anything I can do?

Hammer24

Banned
OK, this sucks big time.

All my saves are gone.

Forza won't even load (I get a "loading failed" error message), DR3 and Ryse do load, but behave like I started them for the first time.

Is there anything I can do?

Do you have the Game Suspend Beta enabled? If so, disable. In any case shut down the box by holding the X Symbol for several seconds. Wait 30 secs, restart.
Had a hangup with the TV app, which even caused system slowdown. This kind of "hard reboot" solved it.

GlamFM

Banned
Do you have the Game Suspend Beta enabled? If so, disable. In any case shut down the box by holding the X Symbol for several seconds. Wait 30 secs, restart.
Had a hangup with the TV app, which even caused system slowdown. This kind of "hard reboot" solved it.

Tried all of this, unfortunately none of it worked.
My saves are supposed to be in some sort of cloud, right?

Halp!

Hammer24

Banned
Tried all of this, unfortunately none of it worked.
My saves are supposed to be in some sort of cloud, right?

Halp!

Yes, they should be.
Two things left to try:
1) a region change (it does a very good system reset this way, without you losing your settings)
2) Doing a factory reset via the settings menu

GlamFM

Banned
Yes, they should be.
Two things left to try:
1) a region change (it does a very good system reset this way, without you losing your settings)
2) Doing a factory reset via the settings menu

Thank you, will try that after work.

Really sucks.

So I came home yesterday to a big leak in my room. Of course, the leak was on the side where all my consoles were. I dried off the xbox one/ps4 and put a fan on them and stayed like that through the night in hopes of saving them.

I woke up a few moments ago and tried them out.

The xbox one just doesn't turn on at all. It makes the sound as if it's going to work but just shuts off immediately. Battlefield 4 is also still in the system.

The ps4 turns on and seems to work fine but I can't do anything because the dual shock 4 doesn't work (because of the water).

My question is, who should I contact for a replacement? I bought both consoles from amazon. Should I contact amazon or try talking to Sony/Microsoft?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

Hammer24

Banned
The xbox one just doesn't turn on at all. It makes the sound as if it's going to work but just shuts off immediately. Battlefield 4 is also still in the system.

It also shows this behavior, when there is a problem with either the power brick, or with the HDMI connection. Make sure to remove all cables, dry them up, and reconnect. If its still not working then, well... coffin time!

No luck.

So I called amazon and they are sending me a replacement xbox one, which should be here on Monday.

As for the PS4, the system turns on, but the controller doesn't work. Even before this incident, I was having trouble with the system not reading games. I'll be heading to the Sony store tomorrow since they said they'll have a new shipment of units and I'll try to exchange mine.

Btw, is there a way to manually open the xbox one disk tray? Battlefield 4 is stuck in there and I'm not sure if amazon would even bother sending me the game back.

GlamFM

Banned
Thank you Hammer, resetting the console worked!

Now all I have to do is re-download 100gb of games.
Should take a day...

sangreal

No luck.

So I called amazon and they are sending me a replacement xbox one, which should be here on Monday.

As for the PS4, the system turns on, but the controller doesn't work. Even before this incident, I was having trouble with the system not reading games. I'll be heading to the Sony store tomorrow since they said they'll have a new shipment of units and I'll try to exchange mine.

Btw, is there a way to manually open the xbox one disk tray? Battlefield 4 is stuck in there and I'm not sure if amazon would even bother sending me the game back.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/manually-eject-disc

MattVT

I need some advice about determining if my power brick is faulty or if it's the Xbox One console itself.

I set my system up for the first time on Saturday, and it worked great over the weekend. I tried to turn it on last night and got absolutely nothing. It simply will not turn on.

I tried all the usual troubleshooting. It's not my electrical outlet (PS4 works fine plugged into the same one). I tried using a surge protector vs. directly into the wall. Nothing is working.

The only thing I have noticed is that when the power brick is plugged in but NOT connected to the XBox One, the LED light on the brick glows orange. However, as soon as I connect the power cord into the back of the XBox, the light goes out (and obviously the console will not turn on).

Would this indicate the problem is more likely with the power brick or with the console itself?

I'm really annoyed with this situation. It's a Day One edition purchased from Amazon that was given to me as a gift (unopened and unplayed) last week, which is why I only am just now getting it up and running. What are the chances Amazon would accept an exchange this late in the game?

isb

Banned
As a PS4 owner i must say how nice it is to see this thread being so short compared to the PS4 one.

Good on you Microsoft!

As we get closer to tax time I'm considering a console. The hardware for the X1 seems pretty solid by this thread, how is the OS? Buggy? Stable?

Thanks

EBE

As we get closer to tax time I'm considering a console. The hardware for the X1 seems pretty solid by this thread, how is the OS? Buggy? Stable?

Thanks

ive had no problems with it. snap works, kinect (mostly? - always for me. varies?) works if you calibrate it to high volume levels, apps function as they should, ive never had a lockup/crash, etc. a few quirks with party chat and friends list that may or may not bother you, but its otherwise a very solid system.

and actually, instant resume is kind of mind blowing. had a race in Forza i paused midway through to go on netflix for the rest of the day, turned off the console and returned two days later to jump right back into the race with zero boot time. cue that tim and eric gif

Devildoll

So, if i want to use the headset mic, but my speakers as the output for voice chat.

Where is the setting for that?
I mean, you could set it up like that on the 360.

~~Hasan~~

sorry to raise this thread up but i am going to buy an xbox one today from an import local store" most likely it won't have any warrenty" so i am going to open it in the store and test it. what i want to know is how good is the hardware. what problems i can check to see if the system is fine ?

like i am going to try and test a game to see if it run without scrarching it. not sure if i can play the game without the needed day 1 update "anyone ?"

what else i should be checking? i heard there is a humming sound from the power supply when the system is on standby / resume.

is there a very very hot air coming from the system from the top ? is this fine ?

RulkezX

Without the update you can't even get to the dash. The console starts, asks for a region, ask to setup net access and then prompts you to do the update. None of it can be skipped unfortunately.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Those disc noises occur when the disc is inserted, you should be able to insert/remove discs without the patch (can't imagine why not). Will the store not exchange if there's a problem? Sounds crazy/illegal if so.

~~Hasan~~

i just got the console " yay" i will post screen shots soon. however i have 2 questions that worry me:

1- there is a weird humming sound coming from the adapter. its kinda loud if you are sitting close to it and everything is off " TV, Xbox one on stand by"

is this normal ?

2- the sound BRD makes when it ejecting the disk or taking it in is also loud. louder than my PS4 at least. is this also normal ?

RulkezX

You mean the power brick ? I've never noticed it on mine because (2 kids :) ) the house is never silent, but the brick is meant to be a little louder than the console.

The disc inserting is also louder than ps4 , but not really loud in the grand scheme of things.

~~Hasan~~

but the brick is meant to be a little louder than the console.

The disc inserting is also louder than ps4 , but not really loud in the grand scheme of things.

yes. this is what i also noticed for both the brick and the disc inserting. i even went to the store and checked with the xbox one unit they have at the store. same thing.

and my console doesn't get hot from top at all no matter what i play so i am assuming my system is good.

thanks for your feedback brother

ValeYard

i just got the console " yay" i will post screen shots soon. however i have 2 questions that worry me:

1- there is a weird humming sound coming from the adapter. its kinda loud if you are sitting close to it and everything is off " TV, Xbox one on stand by"

is this normal ?

2- the sound BRD makes when it ejecting the disk or taking it in is also loud. louder than my PS4 at least. is this also normal ?

Hey,

also just to confirm:

1 my powerbrick hums also. I think there are some with quieter, some with louder fans, but there is a little fan running in there. I've had mine since launch, everything okay.

2 yep, noticed this at first too, like a loud click on ejecting. If you watch a clip in YouTube of people using the One you can hear that noise too. The only problem is when the clicking doesn't stop, but only a few consoles had that issue on launch.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Im about to buy an Xbone, but I want clarification on one thing: the system comes packaged with a wireless controller that supports AA batteries and a "play&charge kit", obviously not included with the system, but available separately for an additional cost of 30 dollars. Is that information correct, you cannot get a console packaged with a wired controller?

wes-

Im about to buy an Xbone, but I want clarification on one thing: the system comes packaged with a wireless controller that supports AA batteries and a "play&charge kit", obviously not included with the system, but available separately for an additional cost of 30 dollars. Is that information correct, you cannot get a console packaged with a wired controller?

Yes Mika, that is correct.

Yes Mika, that is correct.
thanks. Frankly, Im inclined to be pissed off about that, deliberately packaging in a wireless controller to compel you to buy their play & charge kits, but I suppose if I buy the Titanfall bundle, that will mitigate my annoyance quite a bit.

wes-

thanks. Frankly, Im inclined to be pissed off about that, deliberately packaging in a wireless controller to compel you to buy their play & charge kits, but I suppose if I buy the Titanfall bundle, that will mitigate my annoyance quite a bit.

You also have the option to not put any batteries inside the wireless controller and buy a cheap long USB > micro USB cable.

RulkezX

I got 3rd party battery packs x2 that came with 2 5m USB > mUSB cables for like £6 on Amazon.

I'll probably buy the play and charge kit at some point but these work fine so far, you can even charge the spare batter pack on its own so it's fully charged when you need to swap over.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
After yesterday's update there is now a black border around my screen when I "xbox watch tv".

• There is no black border around the screen while in a game or in the dashboard.
  • I have my PC connected in the HDMI passthrough.
  • Changing resolution on the PC does nothing to the black bars.
  • The TV is set to produce the native resolution (pc-mode) so stretching the screen isn't an option.
  • The black bars are not present when the PC is connected directly into the TV.
  • Changing the resolution of the Xbox from 1080p to 720p does nothing to the black bars.
What sorcery is this?

Raoh

Power supply went dead. Xbox support thinks, it won't turn on but the adapter has an orange light. After some time with support we realized that myservice.xbox.com site had my old 360's listed not my xbox one. Updated it and my contact info.

Way I understood it, they were sending me a replacement power supply and I would return my failed one.

I then get an email that they have not received my adapter and will close my case in two days. It seems the rep was wrong, I'm to pay out of my own money/time to package and return the faulty adapter myself and THEN they will send my the new adapter.

I hate Microsoft.

If this new power supply doesn't fix the issue, its time to get what every trade/sale value I can for an xbox one with a power on issue.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My PSU is buzzing bad. I'm trying to go through the website for a new one/ Chat lady wants $35, I no way. MS hardware strikes me again!

I'm still pushing for a free one, I'm still in chat...

Edit: Freeeeee!

Top Bottom