• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox One has a targeted launch date of late November 2013"

Why? Why couldn't they start giving them away the day of launch?
-360 promotion started before the 360 came out
-The word "late" doesn't inspire confidence they will be able to get it out before the PS4
-It hardly is evidence on its own, but combined with CBOAT and Kotaku it seems to make more and more sense

-360 promotion started before the 360 came out
-The word "late" doesn't inspire confidence they will be able to get it out before the PS4
-It hardly is evidence on its own, but combined with CBOAT and Kotaku it seems to make more and more sense
The word late? Isnt that doritos saying that though?

Kahoona

This thing has to be coming in extremely hot if they are still being shady about the release date. Having to rework almost their entire policy 6 months before launch couldn't have helped.

Kiyo

It's a huge shopping day, but it's a common myth that it's the biggest. That's usually right before Christmas.

It would still be a significant miss to not hit it, regardless.

It is the biggest shopping day in the US. The source you use references research that's been taken down, but was international based. In the US, Black Friday is by far the biggest shopping day of the year.

It's very important Microsoft is able to get the xbox one out by then, as it's also a great time to promote sales of accessories and just generate hype around your console in general, even if they are all sold out.

jcm

Hmm if the announcement of the Xbox 360 release dates hadn't been at TGS in 2005 I would never believe it myself but MS is an odd duck to try and pin down

I can't tell if MS is trying to push into the Japanese market still. I think they don't really care anymore about Japan which would be the smart play but if CBOAT's platinum rumor is true that would imply they do still want to push in Japan

But didn't they already announce Japan isn't in the launch group? So they would go to tgs, and announce a launch date that doesn't apply to Japan? That'd be nutty. I suppose it's possible they've changed their mind, and Japan is now tier one. Really, at this point, nothing is out of the question.

But didn't they already announce Japan isn't in the launch group? So they would go to tgs, and announce a launch date that doesn't apply to Japan? That'd be nutty. I suppose it's possible they've changed their mind, and Japan is now tier one. Really, at this point, nothing is out of the question.

Yeah I have no idea honestly

I just meant don't discount any possibility beccause MS is cray cray right now

Iacobellis

The 27th would be total shit. Let's say you have a console on preorder and are unable to pick it up on launch day, you'll have to wait until the 30th then? The 28th is Thanksgiving and I am sure most people don't want to go out on Black Friday to get it.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
It won't launch before the PS4. Those who believe that are gonna be eating huge amounts of crow come launch time.

My prediction. Anytime in November from the 22nd onwards is 'Late'. I would not be at all surprised if the EU and other countries are pushed into December in order to achieve their targets for North America.

With fulfilling preorders, those crazy people who camp out / go to midnight launches, and then having Black Friday, from the rumours we here about manufacture, I think the date is academic. They can't keep stocked over that period.

trinest

It won't launch before the PS4. Those who believe that are gonna be eating huge amounts of crow come launch time..

I really think they are trying to dispute the reports of manufacturing issues etc. I think they have strategically prepared enough to do a launch before the confirmed PS4 date. However I think Sony has been a head of them all this time, especially when it came to dropping the DRM. So that is why there isn't much news yet cause they want to announce as late as possible to delay any chance of Sony been able to release earlier.

Amir0x

Banned
I really think they are trying to dispute the reports of manufacturing issues etc. I think they have strategically prepared enough to do a launch before the confirmed PS4 date. However I think Sony has been a head of them all this time, especially when it came to dropping the DRM. So that is why there isn't much news yet cause they want to announce as late as possible to delay any chance of Sony been able to release earlier.

Sony is not going to change their launch date. They know they have no need to considering how far ahead in pre-orders they are, and they know that whether MS launches a week earlier or a week later, the actual functional benefit with be nearly completely negligible anyway.

Sony has already begun giving out the marketing materials with the launch date on it, they're not changing it. Microsoft is just waiting for TGS I'd guess now that PAX is already underway and we haven't heard anything.

jaaz

Problem with late November is that it allows very little time for MS to restock the Xbone for Black Friday after the initial launch. Going into Bkack Friday with little or no stock and your competitor at $100 less is a recipe for disaster.

Krakn3Dfx

Does Geoff have his own dip as well?

Disgusted.gif

The XB1 is guaranteed to sell out no matter when the release date is. Releasing a week before or a week after the PS4 isn't going to change anything. Both consoles will have great launches. The war will be waged next year when more exclusives drop and the need to generate hype and interest is needed to garner market share.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tbh, right now the lack of announcements from MS suggests to me they don't have the confidence to set one and stick with it. Obviously they'd want to be mid-November or even earlier, but maybe they need to wait for their software to get to a certain level before they can commit? And with previous CBOAT comments about SDK/performance, maybe they don't have that confidence yet?

They absolutely have to be out in the US by Black Friday. If Sony gets the jump on them and can deliver more stock for BF before XB1 even launches...oh my...good luck with that.

Redshirt

Banned
FWIW, the official rules have been updated from

to

"Xbox One has targeted launch date of November 2013."

Launching too close to PS4 would make it a nightmare for retailers. They do not want the consoles on the same day, nor even a week of each other if they could help it. Especially so close to Black Friday.

Honestly at this point I'd say go for a early-mid Dec launch. A couple of weeks at this point won't matter. You avoid Black Friday, and you give something to keep the retailers going into the shopping season instead of being sold out way before Christmas which is going to happen anyways.

It'll probably be Nov 22 if they can get units ready and retailers to bite though. :)

Has MS even started production on XBone? it's already September.

One way or another, this is going to be one interesting season.

Bsigg12

Launching too close to PS4 would make it a nightmare for retailers. They do not want the consoles on the same day, nor even a week of each other if they could help it. Especially so close to Black Friday.

Honestly at this point I'd say go for a early-mid Dec launch. A couple of weeks at this point won't matter. You avoid Black Friday, and you give something to keep the retailers going into the shopping season instead of being sold out way before Christmas which is going to happen anyways. It'll probably be Nov22 if they can get units ready and retailers to bite.

Has MS even started production on XBone? it's already September.

One way or another, this is going to be one interesting season.

Yes the Xbox One is in production. They got through the FCC before the PS4 actually. They won't miss Black Friday, it would kill momentum if Sony was blowing up ad space and you're waiting to launch after a really important retail sales day.

Freki

FWIW, the official rules have been updated from

to

"Xbox One has targeted launch date of November 2013."

So the question now is was it an honest mistake or did they give out to much information accidentally...

bumpkin

Late november is not a date. It's a goddam part of a month.
Pretty much. Just give us a goddamn date, MS. This little mystery game isn't doing anybody any favors; if nothing else, it's pissing off the people you haven't lost yet who did preorder one.

Top Bottom