• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One headsets/headphones

mjc

With Titanfall around the corner especially, I don't have the luxury of turning my surround sound to any decent level. (Apartment living) So I'm looking at the mountains of headsets coming from Turtle Beach, Skullcandy, Polk, and the official MS one. I'm tempted to grab the MS one next week but I thought I'd see if anyone had a suggestion. (Might be kinda tough since the headsets aren't out...but I don't have past experience with Turtle Beach or Polk)

BraXzy

I was wondering the same thing. Would my X12's be adequate with one of those ridiculously overpriced adapters or should I just buy a new made to fit headset?

sangreal

If you're looking at 360 headsets and care about "5.1" headphones, be aware that the xbone does not currently support dolby out over optical. Either way, I would wait until next week for more impressions when the official adapter is out

JaggedSac

I'm going with these. I think they look great and I will use them more than for just gaming.

51y76BiGonL._SL1000_.jpg

Mudron

If anyone could be so kind as to recommend a decent pair of headphones that would work with both the Xbox One and the PS4, that would be awesome.

RoKKeR

I'm looking at those new first party ones from MS, I'm not looking for a big purchase and they seem nice enough.

Dolby Digital isn't currently supported by the Xbox One currently but rumor has it that it will be enabled in the March firmware update.

I have turtle beach xp510's. I use em for the sound but currently no mic support until the adapter comes out. They sound great though.

Spasm

I'm going with these. I think they look great and I will use them more than for just gaming.

I just put my order in for the green ones. Amazon moved the release date up to March 6th, btw.

Edit: I hope they also work with PS4 (audio and chat). They should, being just a standard 3.5mm phone connector, right?

I have some old ass X41s I still use with an adapter that I soldered myself for Xbone. I'm so damn cheap when it comes to console accessories.

mjc

Are Polk headsets pretty decent overall? It'll probably come down to those or the official MS ones for me.

Spasm

Are Polk headsets pretty decent overall? It'll probably come down to those or the official MS ones for me.

The Polk Melees have been out for a while, and a pretty highly rated. All indications are the 4shot are pretty much the exact same thing, just with the Xbone headset adapter included.

I'm waiting to see how the official ones from MS are before I make any purchases. I just know I don't want to keep using the headset that was packed in with the console.

I am researching using the Stereo Headset Adapter and some cheap mobile phone headset or some headset I already have.

I am not sure how it's going to work out just yet :)

Don't think it will work. Which is good cause I find one of the issues on my PS3 was the flood of cheap Mics making people sound terrible. Atleast from my experience.

Unless I'm mistaken and the new adapter will allow any headset/mic combo. Not sure

Don't think it will work. Which is good cause I find one of the issues on my PS3 was the flood of cheap Mics making people sound terrible. Atleast from my experience.

Unless I'm mistaken and the new adapter will allow any headset/mic combo. Not sure

It will. Albert posted on GAF to clear this up.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I already own a SteelSeries Sibera V2 headphone so I'll simply get the adapter to use it. It's a pretty good headset and fairly cheap!

The one that comes with the system already crapped out on me. Messaged support and they want me to ship it back so I can get a new one, I don't want to pay for shipping.

They need to put out some more stuff for this system already.

bananas

Banned

That doesn't have to do with the mic. I think it's because MS is using a much better audio codec. The same one they use for Skype, I believe.

Hopefully in the March update there will be a setting to keep the controller powered on when not in use so I won't lose audio through the headphones when watching Netflix or tv.

I messaged xbox support on twitter but they wouldn't give me an answer, just telling me to follow Major Nelson's blog.

Water

Some quick questions out of curiosity; I don't have a next-gen console yet, and have not done any chatting on X360.

I have a serious stereo headphone setup with a DAC/amplifier. Console sound goes in via optical. What would be my options if I wanted to chat on Xbone / PS4?

- I presume the most convenient thing would be to have a clip-on mic on the controller. Can you have just the mic there while all sound output (game + chat) is via optical?
- Can you just chat with Kinect microphone, if you're sitting far away wearing headphones? Does it actually work well or do you have to shout? You can assume the room is quiet with just a little steady fan noise.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't think the 4Shot will work with the PS4. The Melee doesn't work with the PS3, and a Polk employee in a comments section at Destructoid said as much.

Topper

I won a pair of these through the mountain dew promotion couple months back just waiting on the adapter for the One, I haven't used them yet but the build quality is very nice and they are comfortable.

JaggedSac

I won a pair of these through the mountain dew promotion couple months back just waiting on the adapter for the One, I haven't used them yet but the build quality is very nice and they are comfortable.

Cool, great to hear. Have you tried them with music or anything other than gaming? Curious if the sound quality is good.

And I can do party chat and game sound with the 4shot?

Yes, you can do both. They are passive too, so will be powered by the controller so you don't have to charge them.

I just put my order in for the green ones. Amazon moved the release date up to March 6th, btw.

Edit: I hope they also work with PS4 (audio and chat). They should, being just a standard 3.5mm phone connector, right?

Cool. Hopefully it sticks to that date this time.

Pollux

Cool, great to hear. Have you tried them with music or anything other than gaming? Curious if the sound quality is good.

Yes, you can do both. They are passive too, so will be powered by the controller so you don't have to charge them.

Cool. Hopefully it sticks to that date this time.

Awesome. Thanks. And theoretically they should let me do audio and chat when plugged into the PS4 controller we well. But I'm not gettin a PS4 until August or September so no point in worrying about that now.

I'll grab the black 4shot when they come out.

Zafir

Hoping they do finally put out a patch for dolby support through optical out. Just bought myself a Astro Mixamp Pro the other week and can use it with every thing else I have hooked up at the moment, just not the Xbone. >.<

TeRey09

I tweeted Turtle Beach's official twitter and they said compatibility charts should be released soon for their headsets, so you maybe could save some money by buying a cheaper headset.

MadmanUK

I almost made a thread on this the other day. I would ideally like to get some that worked with the PS4 & Xbone and pay a bit more. It seems like there's a whole bunch of 'em coming out over the next couple of weeks obviously just in time for dat Titanfall.

Those Polk ones look really nice but the UK price is much dearer.

REDRZA

Banned
With Titanfall around the corner especially, I don't have the luxury of turning my surround sound to any decent level. (Apartment living) So I'm looking at the mountains of headsets coming from Turtle Beach, Skullcandy, Polk, and the official MS one. I'm tempted to grab the MS one next week but I thought I'd see if anyone had a suggestion. (Might be kinda tough since the headsets aren't out...but I don't have past experience with Turtle Beach or Polk)

Get yourself a pair of Astros. I have my optical out from my HDTV to the Astro mixamp. So all my devices plugged into my TV via HDMI output digitally to the mixamp, so i get 7.1 surrond with my Astro A40's. Just waiting for the adapter for chat.

Pollux

Yeah, I've been leaning toward the 4Shots, but I'd really prefer a headset that supports both XB1 and PS4,

Is there any headset that supports the both t he X1 and PS4? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 4shots wouldn't I be able to use it on the PS4 with an adapter similar to the X1?

Is there any headset that supports the both t he X1 and PS4? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 4shots wouldn't I be able to use it on the PS4 with an adapter similar to the X1?

I believe the 4Shots come with the Xbox One adapter. But, from what I recall, the PS4 has a 3.5mm plug in the bottom of the controller. So the 4Shots should work with PS4 as well since it sends audio and chat through one cord (3.5mm).

At this point I am just waiting on reviews between the Polks and the MS Official. Really just to have a 3rd party confirm the Polks are $80 better, audio-wise. I love the look of the blue Polks but if the MS set gets great marks I may just go with that. I've been gaming for years with my surround down really low because of kids sleeping, it'll be nice to get some noise again.

Top Bottom