• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One July monthly OS update detailed

riotous

Banned
Hmm, wonder what this means. Interesting that they're announcing this as part of the July update when it has almost nothing to do with the OS.

The store, which is part of the OS, probably doesn't support either one-click add of multiple items to a shopping cart, or installing multiple items from one sold item in a shopping cart.

Or perhaps it doesn't support giving out a discount if certain items are combined in your cart.

Basically the store doesn't support multi-item bundles right now, so yeah it has to do with the OS.

greenegt

Nice update, though I'm jonesing for digital pre-loading and auto-downloading of remote purchases. I hope they come in time for Destiny's release.

Anion

Roll in the updates. The digital + hard copy disks are an awesome idea
I'm becoming far too predictable.

But seriously, where's the "xbox, screenshot" feature? They teased it last month and now it's nowhere to be seen.

You're pissing off the cat, MS.
Your a cat?
Is this a sonic reference?
But yeah, I want that feature like now

I'm becoming far too predictable.

But seriously, where's the "xbox, screenshot" feature? They teased it last month and now it's nowhere to be seen.

You're pissing off the cat, MS.

They will want to get it right, I'm sure it will come before the end of the year. Have patience young Miles, it will come.

How many votes does it have on the feedback site?

However many it has, it's not nearly enough.

Your a cat?

An increasingly angry one.

My patience wears thin.

iGvDtrj.gif

They will want to get it right, I'm sure it will come before the end of the year. Have patience young Miles, it will come.

I have plenty of patience. It's just starting to wear thin...You're right though, should be in before the end of the year. Hopefully before Sunset and Horizon 2.

Sydle

Snap mode for achievements is neat, I'll be using that one quite a bit.

Curious about the digital compilations.

Pretty great. Kudos to MS on being great on adding new features so reliably.

If only they could add a screenshot feature. Sure, we've got video, but I'd love a screenshot tool.

MoeB

Drive-bys are the BEST form of posting on Gaf, and guaranteed to earn you the respect of fellow posters and a cobgratulatory PM from mods :)

But just for laughs, can you quantify what needs fixing, and whether you own an xbox one?

I'm still waiting on my cobgratulatory PM.
Maybe scroll up and look up my other post? But here, I'll give you another one. How about fixing the mess that is the frontend user interface? Tell me, how do you like sorting out your pins? It's a mess.

iJudged

Banned
Maybe scroll up and look up my other post? But here, I'll give you another one. How about fixing the mess that is the frontend user interface? Tell me, how do you like sorting out your pins? It's a mess.
Just curious, how exactly is it a mess? I've been using it since
Launch and have shit load of stuff pinned and find it easy and convenient.

MoeB

Did they? I never saw anything.

You can sort your pins using SmartGlass. Not ideal but it's there.

That's neat but why don't they instead provide you with a grouping option like in most modern phones that have been in existence for a while now.

Just curious, how exactly is it a mess? I've been using it since
Launch and have shit load of stuff pinned and find it easy and convenient.

I think you have a higher tolerance for a mishmash of icons. I'm more OCD when it comes to pins rearranging themselves around.

Bsigg12

Awesome, thank you.

That's neat but why don't they instead provide you with a grouping option like in most modern phones that have been in existence for a while now.

We still aren't even a year into the console's life cycle and we saw how significantly they changed the 360 dash over the 9 years it has been around. As more content becomes available, we'll probably see Microsoft introduce folders and other options to help sort everything.

At least they're pushing monthly updates and expanding and fixing things each month. It's a really nice change from the 2 major updates a year on the 360.

I don't use pins, I use voice control but believe it or not, I am actually interested in where you think the areas that need addressing are. Your posts make it sound like you're just trolling and not an xbox one owner, though which is why I'd like to hear more as surely that's not the case...

You said "lots needs fixing", so far you've listed one thing plus a feature request (mce support). Share more - I'm sure the product team keep an eye on these threads...

TrueGrime

I can understand if it takes you minutes to get to where you want to go on the OS but it literally takes seconds. You pin your icons how you want so you know where they are, just go left, and then boom. You're right there. If you favor kinect you don't even have to go to pins you just say where you want to go.

It really isn't that hard, bloated, or cumbersome.

Shylock

I still wish the voice command timeout was longer (or adjustable) when launching an application. The launch time of netflix/hulu/amazon is just slow enough that I have to say "Xbox select" a second time to continue navigating hands free.

Personally I want them to move friends & party stuff into the OS. I find it all so painfully slow launching apps when you have a game running, most frustrating.

see5harp

There's a lot that needs fixing.

At some point, I assume there will be some way to group the icons pinned dashboard like you are able to do with Windows 8. I'd also like to be able to resize them. Out of everything that needs fixing your main gripe is pinning though?

TrueGrime

Personally I want them to move friends & party stuff into the OS. I find it all so painfully slow launching apps when you have a game running, most frustrating.

Snap feature or just "going home" while in a game and going to another app? The only things I find slow is initially getting into a party via the snap feature. And friends. Then again I have a shitload of friends.

MoeB

I don't use pins, I use voice control but believe it or not, I am actually interested in where you think the areas that need addressing are. Your posts make it sound like you're just trolling and not an xbox one owner, though which is why I'd like to hear more as surely that's not the case...

You said "lots needs fixing", so far you've listed one thing plus a feature request (mce support). Share more - I'm sure the product team keep an eye on these threads...

I don't know how I feel about your presumptions but here's a long list (most are not detrimental and frankly ridiculous at this stage of the cycle) of features that should be implemented. To highlight a few important ones: BG Music Player, Universal Kinect voice support for all apps.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps

You have no idea about software do you. And thats not why people are impressed, its because updates are delivered in a timely manner.

lol. quite contrary. I understand that most of the delays are because of the extensive amount of testing that needs to take place before they can deploy the updates. But is that really an excuse to not have these features in place on day 0?

iJudged

Banned
Possibly, my pins are mostly games, Netflix, and few other apps. The games I play more frequently are always placed nearest.:)

I think you have a higher tolerance for a mishmash of icons. I'm more OCD when it comes to pins rearranging themselves around.

On Demand

Banned
:/ Cmon sony, if MSFT can do it, so can you!

They used to with PS3 but people complained remember? I can understand though since you couldn't do anything else during the update and they took forever sometimes.

With PS4 this is no longer the case so i don't think anyone would mind.

rokkerkory

I don't know how I feel about your presumptions but here's a long list (most are not detrimental and frankly ridiculous at this stage of the cycle) of features that should be implemented. To highlight a few important ones: BG Music Player, Universal Kinect voice support for all apps.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps

lol. quite contrary. I understand that most of the delays are because of the extensive amount of testing that needs to take place before they can deploy the updates. But is that really an excuse to not have these features in place on day 0?

It's nice to want everything on the first day, some stuff should have been there. I am glad we have a way to give feedback and they are giving updates every month.

They used to with PS3 but people complained remember? I can understand though since you couldn't do anything else during the update and they took forever sometimes.

With PS4 this is no longer the case so i don't think anyone would mind.

Frequent updates are fine, its the fact that they take absolutely ages (as you said) which was the problem. Doing them in the background (on XB1 anyway dunno what PS4 is like) means sometimes you can get an update and not even realise it...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I love this monthly update thing MS is doing. I wouldn't have gave bundles a second thought, but now I'm excited to see what comes out of it..

Top Bottom