• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One June Preview Update - My Real Name is External Storage

stack9902

Banned
there have been postings over on the xbox forums stating that the improvement on SSHD over typical drives is negligible. I don't have one, but there is a nice performance boost with the external HD, I have found on several games, COD, BF, DR3, NBA, and Watchdogs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any UK people with Sky had a chance to try out the OneGuide yet? Would love to hear if you've gone back to the Sky remote or kept on using the OneGuide. The brief bits of video I've seen I can't see it being anywhere near as good as what Sky already offers.

(Would also love an invite, gamertag same as username).

Have Virgin TiVo so similar. The guide is ok but the TiVo guide shows more channels and is faster to navigate. Although I like the way you can say eg 'Watch Stargate SG-1', it seems you can only do that if the show is visible in the guide - so you have to bring up the guide and go page down page down etc until the channel is there. At that point you might as well just use a button. If they let you say 'Xbox watch stargate' directly from the TV app that'd be much more usable.

So for now I'm using both - remote (or iPad app) for guide (and is necessary to get to your recordings), but I do try voice for changing channels and also play/pause/skip forward (does a 30second skip on TiVo)

there have been postings over on the xbox forums stating that the improvement on SSHD over typical drives is negligible. I don't have one, but there is a nice performance boost with the external HD, I have found on several games, COD, BF, DR3, NBA, and Watchdogs.

do youhave a link? i tried searching the other day but couldnt find the thread

Any UK people with Sky had a chance to try out the OneGuide yet? Would love to hear if you've gone back to the Sky remote or kept on using the OneGuide. The brief bits of video I've seen I can't see it being anywhere near as good as what Sky already offers.

(Would also love an invite, gamertag same as username).

Xbox, watch Sky One.
I normally resort to that if I can't find the remote.
You can add channels to your favourites and I only just discovered you can launch oneguide on dash by pressing X, DOH!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't know your setup, but I assume it's an external SSHD on the Xbox One.

This improvement might have also happened if the drive wasn't an SSHD. I'm not saying external won't show improvements, I just want to see if an SSHD has a measurable difference over a traditional HDD.

I tried an external HDD and the load time for the same level was 26 seconds. So the SSHD has knocked of a few more.
  • Internal HDD: 28 seconds
  • External HDD: 26 seconds
  • External SSHD: 26 seconds (first try)
  • External SSHD: 24 seconds (second try)
  • External SSHD: 21 seconds (third try)

21 seconds seems to be the lowest so far, fourth go went to 22 seconds and the fifth also 22 seconds.

furious

Banned
I tried an external HDD and the load time for the same level was 26 seconds. So the SSHD has knocked of a few more.
  • Internal HDD: 28 seconds
  • External HDD: 26 seconds
  • External SSHD: 26 seconds (first try)
  • External SSHD: 24 seconds (second try)
  • External SSHD: 21 seconds (third try)

21 seconds seems to be the lowest so far, fourth go went to 22 seconds and the fifth also 22 seconds.

Nice. Thanks for this.

I'm surprised to see the cache warm up so quickly. I'd have imagined a lot more usage before getting noticeable cache hits.

What do you see when you plug the Xbox One formatted drive into a PC?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Nice. Thanks for this.

I'm surprised to see the cache warm up so quickly. I'd have imagined a lot more usage before getting noticeable cache hits.

What do you see when you plug the Xbox One formatted drive into a PC?

Haven't checked yet but I'm on OSX so it might not show anything. Before I formatted the SSHD on the Xbox I did plug into the laptop and give it a speed test which resulted in 180MB/s for read and write.

I'll check it out in abit what it formats to if it shows up. I'll also speed test the HDD because I'm pretty sure that was only 150MB/s but I'll double check.

Edit: Oh also the SSHD had nothing on it apart from MGS:GZ so it had like 3.7TB of space.

Hawk269

Been having some strange issues when moving games from the internal drive to the external drive. At random, it will move the game, but it still keeps the game on the internal. It is acting as if I hit copy instead of move. So when it finishes, it shows that the game resides on both. If I try to uninstall it on the internal it does nothing, but when I uninstall it from the external it removes it from both.

I am also having weird issues with add-on content where at random times it will not copy. For example, I have 2 add-on's for Ryse that just refuse to move to the external, every attempt to uninstall it from the internal fails and it just sits there.

Not sure what the hell is going on, but the only fix for most of the issues is a complete uninstall and re-downloading of the game. I also get hit at times with an error that says "you have to complete installing before you can move", but there is nothing to finish installing. This happened with the disc version of Wolfenstein, where I could play the game no problem, but when I try to move it to the external it would give this error.

So still lots of bugs and issues that I hope they solve. I basically left my Xbox One on all night redownloading about 6 games, but still have no resolution to the issues with Ryse. For Titanfall, I have the new Maps that refuse to move to the external, I can't even uninstall them from the internal. So those are my 2 remaining issues as of right now.

Lastly, I wish there was a way that the external would go into sleep mode when you have your Xbox One in stand by mode. Technically, I know that stand by is made to download any updates while in that mode and if you tell the Xbox One to store on the external it needs to keep it running. The only way my external shuts down is if I completely power down the Xbox One.

klodeckel

Banned
New update available for preview 5/27

A system update is being released for you to preview beginning today, 5/27/2014, after 6:00pm PDT. This update primarily contains fixes for issues users have reported with external storage. If you have an external drive connected, please try using it and let us know what you think of these fixes in the External Storage forums!

HOW TO GET IT
If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 5/29/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS
OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140523-2200 Available: 5/27 6PM PDT (5/28 1AM GMT)

What's in this update:
- Several fixes for issues some users have been reporting with new external storage features.
- A fix for App Channels not populating in OneGuide.

KNOWN ISSUES:
- A small number of models of A/V receivers may not power on automatically via IR commands from the console (such as when saying "Xbox, On'). The team is aware of this issue and investigating.
- Some users may notice their Favorites list empty in OneGuide. The team is aware and investigating this issue.

Thank you for participating in the update previews, and thank you for your feedback!
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...view_forums/wave_4_1406/f/4861/t/1762591.aspx

The Flash

Banned
New update available for preview 5/27

A system update is being released for you to preview beginning today, 5/27/2014, after 6:00pm PDT. This update primarily contains fixes for issues users have reported with external storage. If you have an external drive connected, please try using it and let us know what you think of these fixes in the External Storage forums!

HOW TO GET IT
If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 5/29/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS
OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140523-2200 Available: 5/27 6PM PDT (5/28 1AM GMT)

What's in this update:
- Several fixes for issues some users have been reporting with new external storage features.
- A fix for App Channels not populating in OneGuide.

KNOWN ISSUES:
- A small number of models of A/V receivers may not power on automatically via IR commands from the console (such as when saying "Xbox, On'). The team is aware of this issue and investigating.
- Some users may notice their Favorites list empty in OneGuide. The team is aware and investigating this issue.

Thank you for participating in the update previews, and thank you for your feedback!
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...view_forums/wave_4_1406/f/4861/t/1762591.aspx

I'll add this to the OP. thanks dude.

Caayn

Is it just me or do the pins take longer to load? Especially when going from the store tab directly to the pins tab.

Ade

Make sure its on a flat surface, rubber feet help, but yes its quite loud.

Hoping they let the drives spin down on sleep mode. Having my drive going at it al night is annoying.

Make sure its on a flat surface, rubber feet help, but yes its quite loud.

Hoping they let the drives spin down on sleep mode. Having my drive going at it al night is annoying.

I put it on top of a game case which quietens it somewhat - if I leave it on top of the console the noise is ridiculous.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Do the Hitachi HDD I tested stayed on when the Xbox One was in sleep mode but now this new SSHD in the casing actually idles down when in sleep which is great.

I imagine if you turn of the HDD while in sleep and was using resume mode it will probably be lost.

I put it on top of a game case which quietens it somewhat - if I leave it on top of the console the noise is ridiculous.

You're leaving it on top of the Xbox One? Dude I wouldn't do that.

mcrommert

Banned
Is anyone still having issues with surround sound working on tv...one of the updates in 1405 broke it and they have yet to fix it...

Caayn

A system update is being released for you to preview beginning today, 5/29/2014, after 6:00pm PDT. This update primarily contains additional fixes for issues users have reported with external storage. If you have an external drive connected, please try using it and let us know what you think of these fixes in the External Storage forums!

HOW TO GET IT

If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 5/31/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140527-2200
Available: 5/29 6PM PDT (5/31 2AM GMT)

What's in this update:

Additional fixes for issues some users have been reporting with new external storage features.

KNOWN ISSUES

A small number of models of A/V receivers and TVs may not power on automatically via IR commands from the console (such as when saying "Xbox, On'). The team is currently testing a fix for this issue.
Possible Workaround: Some users are having success after resetting all TV settings. Settings -> TV & OneGuide- > Troubleshooting -> Reset TV Settings

Some users may notice their Favorites list empty in OneGuide. The team is aware and investigating this issue.

New update available for preview - 5/29

Anyone else notice a focus issue in this latest beta? Sometimes when I try and turn the console off, the dashboard still has focus in the background and I can't select the "yes" option to turn it off.

The Flash

Banned
On second thought, I'll just make a new thread for Games with Gold.

EDIT: or not. there's already two threads for this month

So, mine's doing this thing where the drive will cycle up for a few seconds then stop for a few minutes... then start again.

The Xbox is nominally off... though obviously not unplugged, and none of the external lights are coming on whilst this is happening.

I'm part of the preview program & downloaded/installed the update earlier this evening.

Is it downloading & installing something else or should I be worried?

Has anyone tried a WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 2TB or a WD Elements Portable USB 3.0 2TB Or any other USB powered 2.5" hdd. How did they do?

statham

for the external harddrive, If I copy instead of move, how does it know if I want the game to play off the external? In-case if the external dies, I won't have to re-download.

Has anyone tried a WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 2TB
Thats the one I wanted tested before I bought the expansion. Major Nelson will be testing drives soon according to twitter and I asked him to test that one. But his tests probably won't be up until this update gets out of beta.

I managed to find a 7,200 RPM external 2.5" drive that's USB powered. A Hitachi Touro Mobile Pro, although the biggest size you can get is 1TB. I now have enough space to install about 24 more games even if they're all the maximum 50GB in size, so 1TB should last me a long time considering many games will be a lot smaller than that.

statham

Care to elaborate? Amazon customer reviews are typically very reliable when there are over 1,000 of them.
http://www.neowin.net/news/seagate-...es-in-reliability-test-hitachi-leads-the-pack

others are saying there conclusions aren't right.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/17/backblaze_how_not_to_evaluate_disk_reliability/
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...bility-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

I still went with Seagate 2tb Expansion too. Which wasn't tested.

EPX

Neo Member
My personal recommendation would be to purchase a 4TB WD , they are around 169.99 Canadian.

I don't see the point of a 1 or 2 TB as those will fill up quickly once bigger games arrive. spend the $$ now and get more bang for your buck.

As for sambaing, they usually manufacture SSD hard drives which get amazing reviews, i don't know which HDD they purchased and added in there. where as it WD you know its one of theres

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=0667b0ab2c9055f1334041e630981701en02

10266433.jpg

Syrus

Banned
Care to elaborate? Amazon customer reviews are typically very reliable when there are over 1,000 of them.

Listen, seagates have done me NO wrong. I own 5 different USB hard drives by them all working years later

The expansions is what the XBOX teams were testing and has highe speeds and cache then others

RoKKeR

Man, "Xbox Record That" still doesn't take occasionally. It'll recognize the command but won't actually record the clip. Hope they sort this out.

Another update incoming: -

new system update is being released for you to preview beginning today, 5/31/2014, after 4:00pm PDT. This update contains a few fixes as we get closer to getting this ready for everyone, so please let us know if you run into issues by posting here on the forums!

HOW TO GET IT
If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 6/2/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140529-2200
Available: 5/31 4PM PDT (6/1 12AM GMT)

What's in this update:
Some audio receivers don’t turn on with “Xbox On." This build contains a fix for the issue with certain audio receivers failing to respond to “Xbox On”. Please let us know via the User Feedback app or forums if you’re still experiencing this.
Controller binding with instant sign-in not functioning. This build contains a fix for issues related to headsets not functioning when using instant sign-in. Please file a bug using the User Feedback app if you’re still experiencing this issue.

What to try
Yesterday, we posted asking participants with multiple consoles in the 1406 preview or friends in the preview to try roaming with your external storage drive. For more details: Have a buddy previewing updates? Try your external drive on their console!
The Kinect team needs you! You can help make Kinect better by answering a few questions and re-running Kinect setup. Check out: Help improve Kinect by answering a few questions!

KNOWN ISSUES
Launching a game or app that is installed on an external storage device while not signed in will result in the title becoming unusable. If you encounter this, we have a fix in test for this already. In order to work around it, however, you will need to delete and re-download the title.
Some users may notice their Favorites list empty in OneGuide. The team is currently testing a fix for this issue.

Top Bottom