• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect stand-alone coming October 6 for $149

Bgamer90

Banned
No one is going to buy it at that price it needs to be at least $100

MS more than likely wouldn't get much profit (if any) from making it $100.

I mean, the Xbox One SKU without kinect is $100 cheaper than the one with kinect. That alone should have gave evidence that the device sold separately would at least be $150.

Not surprised by this at all.

Synth

I seriously doubt people are going to see more value in the Kinect bundle than saving $160 with the Madden or SO bundle.

Is that what I said?... No, it wasn't.

I personally think the Kinect bundle should be much cheaper than it is. But as things are now, if the Kinect was selling for $100 standalone, then you'd be able to buy an Xbox with Madden or Sunset Overdrive, and then later pick up a Kinect separately, and come out paying the exact same amount as the Kinect bundle without a game.

So how are those two bundles indicating that the standalone Kinect being cheaper makes sense (which is what the previous poster was claiming)?

Like... I just don't get it. If the hardware wasn't actually adding so much to the bundle cost, don't you think they would have officially dropped the cost of it a long time ago (instead of adding DIGITAL game codes)? This was telegraphed a mile away. Some of you need to reevaluate your market analysis skills lol.

Shin-Ra

They'll sell more this way!

I assume this will happen again

R0BsXxj.jpg
Why is there cling film around it.

There weren't enough people who thought the Kinect was even worth $100. Since the bundle is no longer mandatory, most games won't utilize it much anyway. Nor has MS proved it's worth in actual gameplay--I hear far more praise for it's use in navigating the OS.

A 50% premium doesn't address why people who skipped on one the first time would buy it after the fact, or why people considering an Xbox One (like me) wouldn't just buy the $400 Kinectless version anyway. MS's empty boilerplate about still being committed to the Kinect doesn't give me much confidence on that score.

If you're not interested in Kinect, it's not for you. But if you bought a Kinect-less SKU, or got given it as a gift, then later decide you want to add it to your console, it's now there as an option. 150 vs 130 dollar pricetag is really a tiny point of contention here, the real problem is lack of content, not price.

PS Camera is like $60 , what exactly can the Kinect do better than the Playstation Camera in?

Pretty much everything.

More specific. It can do everything the PS4's camera can do, plus it supports substantially more things. It works in every app, can be used for searching, "gaming", and watching movies.

I'd say owning a Xbone without a kinect is akin to having a car with no seats. It'll get you to where you want to go, but having the seats makes it substantially more comfortable. I could say, that if my Xbone didn't have a Kinect, it'd get a lot less use out of me. As it is, it's cool to load a video on YT or Machinima while you wait for a game to connect/load. Even still, I don't ever use the Camera on the PS4 as I don't really find a conventient use for it the same way the Bones works.

timlot

Banned
I think the price is fair. They can market it in so many ways. This device adds... Motion gaming, gesture and voice UI navigation, control of TV/cable box/ a/v reciever with IR/ voice, Skype calling, heart rate monitoring with kinect fitness,etc. I think those who pick up one of the kinectless bundles this holiday will be intrigued by all the features they are missing without it.

There weren't enough people who thought the Kinect was even worth $100. Since the bundle is no longer mandatory, most games won't utilize it much anyway. Nor has MS proved it's worth in actual gameplay--I hear far more praise for it's use in navigating the OS.

A 50% premium doesn't address why people who skipped on one the first time would buy it after the fact, or why people considering an Xbox One (like me) wouldn't just buy the $400 Kinectless version anyway. MS's empty boilerplate about still being committed to the Kinect doesn't give me much confidence on that score.

What this pricing tells me is that very few Kinect centered games will be made going forward. Just think about it. First developing a Kinect game means you are tied to the XB1 console which is selling considerably less than the PS4, your other option to develop for. On top of that you can't even target the entire XB1 consumer base because the Kinect isn't included with every console and it is prohibitively expensive to add it on after the fact.

f6c.jpg

Is that what I said?... No, it wasn't.

I personally think the Kinect bundle should be much cheaper than it is. But as things are now, if the Kinect was selling for $100 standalone, then you'd be able to buy an Xbox with Madden or Sunset Overdrive, and then later pick up a Kinect separately, and come out paying the exact same amount as the Kinect bundle without a game.

So how are those two bundles indicating that the standalone Kinect being cheaper makes sense (which is what the previous poster was claiming)?

...because they haven't cut the price on the Kinect bundle. MS is still charging $500 for it, so they think the device is still worth at least $100--which I agree is a rather strange notion, given how things have actually played out in terms of sales. A high premium on the standalone unit isn't going to make the Kinect itself any more attractive in light of that.

What this pricing tells me is that very few Kinect centered games will be made going forward. Just think about it. First developing a Kinect game means you are tied to the XB1 console which is selling considerably less than the PS4, your other option to develop for. On top of that you can't even target the entire XB1 consumer base because the Kinect isn't included with every console and it is prohibitively expensive to add it on after the fact.

I think that would've been the case even if they had sold it for $100, frankly. That market fragmentation and slow sales for the console are much bigger issues at this point.

Madness

They killed Kinect when they once again stopped making it mandatory, and by basically making all new bundles Kinectless. At this point it's now basically dead in the water.

meppi

Why are people surprised and disappointed? lol

150$ sounds reasonably for buying it stand alone, could have been 130$ but 150$ makes them more flexible in pricing during deals.

People who are hating on this, are definitely the once who have never used it.

7sjx6gR.jpg

I would think the launch of a standalone unit would drive the price down, not up. I remember some selling on Ebay to people who were trying to "hack" them at one point.

Actually I think the opposite.

It sets a baseline for MSRP.

Nobody thought it would be this high I'd venture a guess.

Can probably get $75 at least for a used one.

Synth

...because they haven't cut the price on the Kinect bundle. MS is still charging $500 for it, so they think the device is still worth at least $100--which I agree is a rather strange notion, given how things have actually played out in terms of sales. A high premium on the standalone unit isn't going to make the Kinect itself any more attractive in light of that.

Yea, I understand that, why is why I said...

Basically the Kinect bundle would have to come down in price

I don't think the Kinect bundle should be costing $500 with or without a game bundled. Hell I personally think the machine needed to around $400 with the Kinect, rather than the Kinectless SKU even existing (of course, I don't know how possible this would have been). The main thing though is for the Kinect to be cheaper on its own, the bundle has to be cheaper first.

Imagine for a moment that you could get a PS4 with Destiny for $400, or a PS4 with the camera for $460. That's what people seem to be expecting here.

Yudoken

That 49$ extra is not gonna help, MS.
Since they use something different then USB you can't just connect an normal Kinect 2 to your pc.
How about people, who already have one from their Xbone?
How about just releasing a cheap adapter instead of trying to get every cent of it?
The Kinect is a failure on the Bone but could have a future on pc.
But at that price people like student's won't buy one who actually could give this thing a purpose.
Shame on you, MS.

That 49$ extra is not gonna help, M$.
Since they use something different then USB you can't just connect an normal Kinect 2 to your pc.
How about just releasing a cheap adapter instead of trying to get every cent of it?
But at that price people like student's won't buy one who actually could give this thing a purpose.
Shame on you, M$.

M$...really? lol

That 49$ extra is not gonna help, M$.
Shame on you, M$.

They're making one specifically for PC.

cakely

People who are hating on this, are definitely the once who have never used it.

You are correct. There is definitely a correlation since the majority of people on GAF don't own one, and the majority of people on GAF also don't want to own one.

At $150, it likely that that correlation will continue.

Yea, I understand that, why is why I said...

I don't think the Kinect bundle should be costing $500 with or without a game bundled. Hell I personally think the machine needed to around $400 with the Kinect, rather than the Kinectless SKU even existing (of course, I don't know how possible this would have been). The main thing though is for the Kinect to be cheaper on its own, the bundle has to be cheaper first.

Imagine for a moment that you could get a PS4 with Destiny for $400, or a PS4 with the camera for $460. That's what people seem to be expecting here.

...um, why do we disagree again? LOL

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have any non-casual games been announced that use it in any significant way?

Goon Boon

Banned
I'm literally overjoyed for this.

Now there's a chance some moron retailers will list the Xbox + Kinect bundle at this price by accident like how I got my $150 Xbox Elite bundle.

malfcn

The original one sold like hot cakes for a marginally less price and much poorer tracking with less features. $150 isn't a great deal, but it isn't a bad deal. Pack it in with a game and it would have some value.

Bgamer90

Banned
What they should do is market/present the kinect sold separately as an actual game bundle -- a la Rock Band with the guitar and/or drums.

I think kinect sold separately would do better if it's simply presented as "Dance Central Spotlight with kinect".

It should've been $99. Way, way overpriced. What are you doing MS? :(

Like I said above, the Xbox One SKU with kinect is $100 more than the one without it. The device sold separately definitely wasn't going to be $100.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The original one sold like hot cakes for a marginally less price and much poorer tracking with less features. $150 isn't a great deal, but it isn't a bad deal. Pack it in with a game and it would have some value.

The first Kinect was released on a vastly more popular console with a much bigger install base. It was also a big must-have item that soon fizzled out, they won't be able to recapture that. The only way to make this peripheral relevant in any way is to sell it as cheap as possible.

malfcn

It also had hopes, dreams and lies though.

and games

True that.
We will see how well the bundle or stand alone sells with things like Fantasia and more of the Dancing games come out.

I own one, so I enjoy using the Kinect.
Hopefully certain features like the heart rate monitor could be implemented in games for things like insanity effects.

It's a peripheral that isn't needed, but it is quite fun to use.
Keeping the Kinect as an add-on is fine by me. And keeping it as such would have been preferred for a more performance built machine.

if they made it $99, the $500 bundle with kinect would be DEAD. why would someone buy the $500 system with kinect, when they could just buy the $400 version and scoop up kinect IF they feel they want/need it?

they basically had to either completely get rid of the kinect-SKU and sell kinect for $99 or less, or what they did, which was price it over $100 to keep the kinect-sku viable and not piss off the early adopters (at least the ones that weren't already pissed)

So one thing that kind of boggles my mind is why MS never bothered to make ports of all the previous kinect x360 library for XB1. Like if at any point in the XB1's life they wanted to try and support the kinect with games, that seems like a no brainer

I suppose there was nothing they could do about the price but that's surely a bad price point for something you want people to buy.

Bad times for any Kinect devs, their potential audience has gone from a gush to a trickle to a drip.

I think that would've been the case even if they had sold it for $100, frankly. That market fragmentation and slow sales for the console are much bigger issues at this point.

I can agree with that. I always thought the Kinect for the XB1 was doomed, but Microsoft had high hopes for it. Now what this price says to me is that Microsoft isn't even trying with the Kinect anymore. They've priced it as to not lose money, not to sell more units. Btw this goes for both the bundled and stand alone units.

Top Bottom