• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect stand-alone coming October 6 for $149

Grisby

That's high.

I'm glad mine decided start to working again for some reason. Been messing around with the voice stuff some more and it's neat.

maxiell

Actually a nice gesture for Day One owners, given that they will be able to get $100 reselling their Kinects now.

If you listen to what Phil Spencer has been saying since they dropped the pack-in, this feature is DOA game development wise though.

So the two combined are $50 more than the original bundle? How enticing. -_-

Yet the kinectless Xbox One is only $100 off? Thanks Microsoft

People were seriously expecting the stand-alone Kinect to be the same price as the difference between the bundles? Microsoft basically told us it wouldn't be. Console bundles are always aiming to be "better value" than buying things piecemeal to entice you to spend more money up front.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder if this version will come with a Kinect-to-USB adapter/port for PC. That's the only thing that could justify the price.

I don't think it is the price that will kill this version of Kinect, it's the complete lack of games.

At least with the original Kinect, Microsoft was pushing games for it. Now? Crickets.

There's not much of a reason to spend $75 on it, much less $150.

This x1000. Why would I spend $150 on something that, at best, allows me to use voice commands/motion controls that work about 50% of the time? Show me (good) games that fully utilize its functionality and I will reconsider.

Mohonky

People were seriously expecting the stand-alone Kinect to be the same price as the difference between the bundles? Microsoft basically told us it wouldn't be. Console bundles are always aiming to be "better value" than buying things piecemeal to entice you to spend more money up front.

Yeh, dont see whats surprising.

Bundle = supposed to be better value, thats the point. Thats the point of a bundle as opposed to buying everything seperately.

RobbieNick

Wait, how much is PS4's camera which basically does the same fucking thing including Twitch streaming and voice commands?

Oh yeah. $60.

I feel like people are kind of missing the point here. This isn't priced to be attractive to the people who bought the 399 bundle, since it was made pretty clear to MS that people buying that one aren't interested in the Kinect. This is to make the default, Kinect-included 499 bundle look more attractive to your average shopper. After all, before, it was just 100 dollars more for a feature of dubious value. Now it's 50 dollars off.

RobbieNick

I feel like people are kind of missing the point here. This isn't priced to be attractive to the people who bought the 399 bundle, since it was made pretty clear to MS that people buying that one aren't interested in the Kinect. This is to make the default, Kinect-included 499 bundle look more attractive to your average shopper. After all, before, it was just 100 dollars more for a feature of dubious value. Now it's 50 dollars off.

So they are doing it to NOT sell any? @_@

Amir0x

Banned
Even if that was a good price for that dead end piece of gaming tech, it's dumb now since Microsoft has shown no desire to meaningfully support it. Paying $150 for an elaborate way to voice control your games and to facially log into your titles is just beyond any real sense, unless they started showing that any decent games beyond dance titles and garbage, barely functional mini-game compilations can be created with it. No one wants motion to lean or any of that gimmick nonsense, so I don't know what their expectations are for this. They've gone multiple shows now with virtually no new Kinect software of any merit, or just highlighting the paltry few shallow titles already unveiled. It's just not happening for the Kinect Microsoft!

The price may be "appropriate" because it's more expensive than bundling, but it's definitely a nonsensical value because of the way they've chosen to lead the Kinect into the future. It's a dead end now.

Did that site find out if anything is bundled with it? The original had Kinect Adventures with it for $149.

If Kinect Sports Rivals isn't selling so great, they might as well slap that in. Or maybe the new Dance Central Spotlight

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Did that site find out if anything is bundled with it? The original had Kinect Adventures with it for $149.

If Kinect Sports Rivals isn't selling so great, they might as well slap that in. Or maybe the new Dance Central Spotlight

Yeah it'll probably be bundled with a game, at least I would hope so

SFenton

For everyone saying "Where's the value?", I know I'm probably in an immensely small minority, but Dance Central releases Tuesday, and Fantasia releases in October, and they're two of the ten games I plan on buying this fall. Just Dance 2015 also hits soon.

If advertising cards were played just right, people would probably buy in for at least one of those games, much as they did last gen with Kinect.

Anyone who expected the new version of Kinect to cost less than the original did at launch had optimistic expectations. Anyone who expected an Xbox One + Kinect bought separately to cost the same as the bundle was a crazy person. At best, you could expect $150 plus a game bundled.

482951_o.gif

There weren't enough people who thought the Kinect was even worth $100. Since the bundle is no longer mandatory, most games won't utilize it much anyway. Nor has MS proved it's worth in actual gameplay--I hear far more praise for it's use in navigating the OS.

A 50% premium doesn't address why people who skipped on one the first time would buy it after the fact, or why people considering an Xbox One (like me) wouldn't just buy the $400 Kinectless version anyway. MS's empty boilerplate about still being committed to the Kinect doesn't give me much confidence on that score.

Kusagari

The original bundle argument doesn't hold water because MS has already devalued the $400 Bone with the Madden and Sunset Overdrive bundles.

Now consumers will expect a game when buying the Kinectless Xbox One.

MS can't keep devaluing the system and then expect anyone to pay $150 for the Kinect.

I wonder how many standalone Kinects they're even going to produce. Can't be very many.

they're probably getting the initial supply from the bundles already made. at a later date I bet the production will slow down and there won't be a 1:1 ratio of consoles to sensor bars.

I thought this would have been the case months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised that despite selling the item separately they simply might charge more for the kinect. Even if they charge the $100 it still won't feel like a loss but I have a sneaky suspicion they might sell the stand alone for more, which would really make the early purchase seem more justified if you were planning on getting a kinect.

They still want the bundle to look attractive I guess.

New002

The price does not surprise me, but at this pricepoint they are going to need some insanely compelling software to push units. Until then this thing is dead in the water I think.

mclem

I still don't yet actually own an Xbox One, but I've got the Kinect I bought from CEX for £20 right here.

Synth

The original bundle argument doesn't hold water because MS has already devalued the $400 Bone with the Madden and Sunset Overdrive bundles.

Now consumers will expect a game when buying the Kinectless Xbox One.

MS can't keep devaluing the system and then expect anyone to pay $150 for the Kinect.

If anything that goes against your point. If the $400 bundle is being devalued by having a game included with it, yet the $500 Kinect bundle has no game, it implies that the Kinect is making up more than a $100 difference between the bundles.

Basically the Kinect bundle would have to come down in price in order for the standalone Kinect being cheaper to make any sense.

I agree

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Why are people surprised and disappointed? lol

150$ sounds reasonably for buying it stand alone, could have been 130$ but 150$ makes them more flexible in pricing during deals.

People who are hating on this, are definitely the once who have never used it.

If anything that goes against your point. If the $400 bundle is being devalued by having a game included with it, yet the $500 Kinect bundle has no game, it implies that the Kinect is making up more than a $100 difference between the bundles.

Basically the Kinect bundle would have to come down in price in order for the standalone Kinect being cheaper to make any sense.

I seriously doubt people are going to see more value in the Kinect bundle than saving $160 with the Madden or SO bundle.

Top Bottom