• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: List of issues/problems with the reveal/platform policies

xn0

ib27SSW8K2tcpe.gif

UFRA

Dumb question...but

Does Sony get a royalty of some kind for every unit sold by MS due to having a Blu-Ray player in it?

strata8

I made this post in the other thread:

Replies:
I think with all these discussions, this is probably one of the most important things being missed by EVERYONE

Does the Nuclear family sitting around a television set for any real length of time exist any more, least in anywhere close to the numbers it used to? I cant speak for the states but its basically non existant in the UK.

A typical household nowadays :-

Mom watches her Soaps and reality T.V on her Ipad in the kitchen while cooking..She only has a few hours spare as she works and is a full time mom. She cant sit down because there is way too much to do.

Dad is on his company BB, answering emails and the like. He has been working till 9pm and is shattered, he may flick on some sports, but he is more skimming than watching. There is a good chance he will fall asleep on the couch.

Teenage boy Is up in his room playing COD, He only comes out his room when he gets kicked out a lobby and walks into the kitchen to make a snack. He hasn't sat down in the living room more than 30 mins in over a year.

Teenage girl is a bit of a gamer too, but she is glued to her DS. She willl sometimes sit in the kitchen with mom, but its mostly to chat and ask to borrow money. Mom tell her to ask her father who by now is konked out in front of the television.

Honestly, from what I see the only families that tend to be together in a communal room for any length of time tend to be the unemployed:- People who cant afford a Xbox one at launch.

The whole thing is silly.

Wow, is this what US families are like? No one ever doing anything together? That's kinda sad.

sant

Sony has got my money. Everything was bad about the conference, all the way down to the tone and core message.

Man

What about the CPU? Is there any information out there on the differences?
CPU is identical seemingly but they are not revealed if they are overclocking it or how many cores are dedicated to OS (apparently Xbox One uses two of eight cores for OS).

def sim

Dumb question...but

Does Sony get a royalty of some kind for every unit sold by MS due to having a Blu-Ray player in it?

Sure, though Sony is only one of many in the Blu-ray disc association. All these companies pay each other for many, many things so it might as well be ignored.

Things that make me want to ragequit Xbox:

- Forced online activation for all games
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer.
- Having to enter a unique code like EA's pass system. Boo

- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hours to play games
- No self publishing for games
- Console quite large whilst still also using quite a large external power brick.
- Kinect required and always online, waiting in the shadows.... Not specified whether Kinect 2.0 will work in small places at all. Kinect barely worked (or just didn't work) in a lot of scenarios.
- Online still costs money for basic services (internet browser, YouTube, Netflix, Skype, etc).

Due to all those smart phone cameras being made, I bet the price of Kinect parts has gone down.
I'm sure there's going to be a way to stream data so that you install as you play. If MS does NOT give developers libraries for this in their SDK, they're really REALLY fucking stupid.

I didn't care about this item since I am not in the US, but for all the talk about TV, this just made me LOL:
- Live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

BK0DbgjCIAAFqwp.jpg

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once.

Oh Phil Harrison, thanks for taking the one last great feature of video game consoles and crapping on it. During the NES days I was a hardcore console gamer. Now? PC or GTFO.

Aaron

1GB reserved for PS4 OS I believe. So theoretically 7GB available for games, unless that changes before release, as could Xbox One's current reserve amount.
It could even change after release. I'm pretty sure MS shrunk the memory footprint of the 360's OS when they abandoned the blades.

Majanew

Banned
I'm baffled that MS is this out of touch. E3 is the last chance I'll give them to change their crazy ideas. The console being weaker than PS4 is a bummer, but the other stuff is a deal breaker.

Beren

Also no official specs, for me specs are more important than how the box looks :3

But well at the end everything is about the games and i hope they rollback all the anti consumer thingies :(

Makai

You guys are nuts. Plugging the controller in via USB to charge is so much easier than whatever scheme you can design with AAs.

Good summary of why I'm not going to be touching the XBox One with a ten foot pole.

It's amazing how much the industry has changed over one generation.

Kunan

Had not seen that the drive was not replaceable and the fact that it actually has a power brick after all. Wow.

lordimmortal

Neo Member
I was sure I would be getting this console on launch.

PS4 is looking even more brilliant than before main reason Games.

Is this not why I stayed up all night till 4am to watch and be screwed thanks MS that last 12 years have been great but it looks to have ended.

R.I.P Xbox 21/05/13

Piggus

We know it uses an ass load of RAM for the OS, but what's even more worrying is how many CPU cores it's using to run that much background stuff at once. Unless they have a clever way of handling the OS processing, that's going to be a much bigger issue than the RAM allocation.

FroJay

Banned
I was sure I would be getting this console on launch.

PS4 is looking even more brilliant than before main reason Games.

Is this not why I stayed up all night till 4am to watch and be screwed thanks MS that last 12 years have been great but it looks to have ended.

R.I.P Xbox 21/05/13

Same here minus the first sentence, I had a bad feeling and was more than likely jumping ship before the conference. This conference just put the final emphatic nail in the coffin. 12 years of Xbox and 11 years of live come and gone, PS4 for me.

strata8

Swapping out rechargable AA's is hard?

No, but it's not any faster or better.

1. Remove depleted batteries
2. Remove charged batteries
3. Insert charged batteries into controller
4. Insert depleted batteries into charger

vs.

1. Insert charging cable

vs.

1. Insert charging cable

Insert two foot charging cable so that I can sit right in front of my TV? With the AA's I'm never tethered to anything

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's not. I have shit on MS a ton today, but if you honestly thought the new XBox was anything but a pass through device for a cable/satellite box than that's just you being naive

Seriously. The dumbest fucking thing to cry about. MS gave a lot of things to complain about, requiring a cable box isn't one of them.

def sim

vs.

1. Insert charging cable

It's better because it lasts longer. Not by a marginal amount.

Top Bottom