• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One really does take a long time to install games.

ElNino

All of my consoles and PC are always online.

Halo V time to play from disc 1 hour 42 minutes.
Nathan Drake Collection time to play from disc under a minute.

Someone needs to get their shit together. On a side note really enjoying the campaign for Halo V so far.
Well, to be fair when I launched Nathan Drake Collection after about 10 minutes of installing, Uncharted 2 and 3 still hadn't begun installing yet (and were not able to be played). Fortunately, I was going to start with Uncharted 1 anyways.

papo

As I always say everyone complains about install time, but don't notice download times.

I guess it's because people have not yet gone full digital, but since I've partially have done it I can speak to it. Still you can notice it in patches.

I bought Halo 5 digitally for my X1 and I really didn't notice the download +install times at all because it was done by the time I tried to play it.

On the other hand the other day I was downloading a 400MB patch for Destiny and some other patch for Rocket League and the Destiny file spent 1hr preparing to download then another 5-10min actually downloading the patch.

So I say X1 might be slow at install in the same way PS4 is slow at downloading stuff. There are both fast at the opposites. Even then it is really a non issue for me.

BubbaMc

You get prompted to install patch, you can just say no.

My only experience is with Halo 5, and there's no prompt.

Woke up this morning and the installation had reached 98% then stopped, with no error message explaining why, apart from "installation stopped". I can't install the remaining 2%, if anyone has ideas I'm all ears (connection is good, Forza 6 is happily downloading).

Saw this thread earlier today, knew I was buying Halo 5 today, so I took my system offline and timed the install.

It took 42 minutes to install the game. That was the full install, a little over 45 GB. I've had other games say "ready to play" or something like that partway through, but Halo didn't do that.

Then, I went back online and it download and installed the 9GB patch. That took 46 minutes.

I also bought Transformers: Devastation today, for the PS4. I was going to time the install, but I missed it. I had a RE: Revelations 2 disc in the system. I took it out, put in Transformers, and turned away to put the RE game case back on the shelf. When I looked back at the TV, the game was ready to play. I'm not even sure if it had a visible install. After a couple minutes of cutscenes, I came back out of the game to see if it had a HDD presence. The PS4 claims it's taking up 11.38 GB.

Miles X

No word of a lie, installing from disc took me no more than 15 minutes (don't even think it was that long)

Don't understand why it's taking ya'll hours ...

My roommate bought an Xbox One today, it's been five hours since we started installing the Master Chief Collection and it is still only 90% done. I can't even comprehend why it takes so long.

I will say, it's great to play Halo: CE's campaign again, couch co-op with a modern console.

Patch/update takes hours, obviously depends of the size.

Physical disc installation, takes minutes.

Halo 5 physical disk here. Was prompted to download the 9gb patch, didnt think it was a big deal and agreed. Should have taken half an hour.

Here I am almost 3 hours later. 62%. Whoever I have to thank for this, thanks guys. I was really looking forward to playing tonight.

No word of a lie, installing from disc took me no more than 15 minutes (don't even think it was that long)

Do you have an elite Xbone or using an external drive? My install took probably 40 minutes on a stock HDD.

RulkezX

I mean in the last 2-3 pages there are 4-5 people all saying it took 40-50 minutes, in the OT people were talking about the 40-50 minute install , on Reddit and they were talking about the 40+ minute install.

I'm going to suggest you're wrong and you don't have a special Xbox that no one else has.

Kysen

Took 30min to install Halo 5(patch included), the wait is real. Reminds me of the PC days with multiple disk installs.

My only experience is with Halo 5, and there's no prompt.

Woke up this morning and the installation had reached 98% then stopped, with no error message explaining why, apart from "installation stopped". I can't install the remaining 2%, if anyone has ideas I'm all ears (connection is good, Forza 6 is happily downloading).
I think turning off autoplay should give you the prompt, because you have to manually install the game, instead of the system doing it automatically.

Crazy how this gen just flipped the roles of both systems.

Last gen the PS3 was the one with the painfully slow installs, clunky UI and inferior performance in most games. Now it's the One.

It's as if MS forgot which system it was building a successor to and ended up making the PS3v2 lol.

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.
It is by default, it installs the entire game in the background while you play.

Or would you rather just sit there and stare at a progress bar instead of playing?

I installed Assassin's Creed : Syndicate 3 times in the past 24hrs, and within a few mins I was playing the game, while it installs in the background and downloading the patch.

Sounds like MS needs to address this. I would hate waiting close to an hour to play a game.

jmaine_ph

Why is this still a problem. I literally waited and fell asleep last night waiting for Halo 5 to install and update. That's ridiculous.

J 0 E

What's more confusing is the super slow download speed compared to PS4 or any console

I have +20 mbps speed and it's taking more than a day to download Halo 5? MORE THAN A DAY!!! that's enough to download ALL MY PS4 COLLECTION!!

maybe that explains why pre-loads starts on XBO before PS4

seriously Microsoft, get your shit together.

Unmoses

pre-purchased halo, preloaded.. launched at midnight.. :)

Yes, games do take a while to install, it needs to be addressed. In fact, I've basically stopped buying physical and preload mostly, and if I haven't, I just start the process and do something else on my PC =) But it's obviously a problem.. I know it's a lot of data, but obviously the ps4 does some nice chunking for sure

sportz103

I've never had download speed problems with MS. It doesn't utilize my speed as well as Steam, but Halo 5 still took just under an hour. PSN games for me take forever though.

DedValve

Banned
I dont want to bump old threads but hoooooly shit. I bought an xbox around 5 hours ago and im at 99% completion for halo. Almost 6 HOURS before i get to play a game!!!!!

My internet connection is fast too, i can download 9 gigabytes in about an hour, maybe less. On steam and their turbo powered servers i can blaze through that even faster. Im tired and might head to sleep as it literally climbs a percent every 20 minutes. A dedicated game machine has no right taking almost 6 hours to play a goddamn game. Fucking windows installs faster than that.

zewone

I just picked up Halo 5 and I haven't turned on my XB1 in months. I had to download a system update to even play the game.

That took 1 hour.

Now it asks if I want to download a 9GB update before I install and play.

Hell no I don't.

Install game, which takes another 30-45 minutes.

Now when I try to start the game it says I need that 9GB update.

So I disconnect from the internet.

Go back to start the game and the game won't start. I'm assuming I have to get this 9GB update before I play this disc game.

2 hours since I got home and now its going to be a few more before I can even start the campaign.

There is an obvious reason why I never turn this console on.

Terribly shortsighted design.

I just picked up Halo 5 and I haven't turned on my XB1 in months. I had to download a system update to even play the game.

That took 1 hour.

Now it asks if I want to download a 9GB update before I install and play.

Hell no I don't.

Install game, which takes another 30-45 minutes.

Now when I try to start the game it says I need that 9GB update.

So I disconnect from the internet.

Go back to start the game and the game won't start. I'm assuming I have to get this 9GB update before I play this disc game.

2 hours since I got home and now its going to be a few more before I can even start the campaign.

There is an obvious reason why I never turn this console on.

Terribly shortsighted design.

I think the 9gb update is multiplayer related.

Review codes originally just unlocked single player, then said update became available several days after codes went out and unlocked MP...I believe.

dcb2821

I was just saying today it seemed to be fixed in the NXOE update because I got Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 today and one took 20 minutes and the other 25 minutes which is way fast than it used to be. Maybe I was wrong. Hopefully all games are starting to install faster.

Edit: Im referring to disk games, seems like the previous posts were referring to digital or updates, my bad

The Peanuts Movie: Snoopy's (Not So) Grand Adventure installed quickly from disc today, which was new and welcomed. However, it's only like 1.42gb

I dunno if it's my crappy Internet or what but sonic 2 took nearly 40 mins to install that's insane for a small game like that I gave up on killer instinct the install times have killed some games on Xbox one for me the ps4 is light years faster even on huge games compared

Holy shit the installation of Xbox one games takes so long from disc. I got my first disc game (I got all my games digital before this) for Christmas. The games take forever to install and I got the crew on disc for ps4 and it took less than 5 seconds to install. It's crazy!

Holy shit the installation of Xbox one games takes so long from disc. I got my first disc game (I got all my games digital before this) for Christmas. The games take forever to install and I got the crew on disc for ps4 and it took less than 5 seconds to install. It's crazy!

Your X1 downloading a big ass patch, not the disc installation...that takes only few mins.

It sucks but eh, you get use to it. I just normally leave it and do other things, like browsing the web or playing a PC or ps4 game.

What I found help is just disconnecting the internet from the bone (yeah sucks ass) and it installs way faster. Once it's done I reconnect and let the downloads go and that is typically fast (I have p good download speeds).

I'm aware that will not work for everyone based on how your Xbox is connected and how easy it is to get to, but until MS comes up with a solution if ever. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

It sucks but eh, you get use to it. I just normally leave it and do other things, like browsing the web or playing a PC or ps4 game.

What I found help is just disconnecting the internet from the bone (yeah sucks ass) and it installs way faster. Once it's done I reconnect and let the downloads go and that is typically fast (I have p good download speeds).

I'm aware that will not work for everyone based on how your Xbox is connected and how easy it is to get to, but until MS comes up with a solution if ever. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Yep I discovered this too. Disconnect from the internet, put disc in, let disc install, then connect to the internet and let patches download. Tedious and annoying to say the least. Halo MCC was a complete pain in the ass to download and update.

Some games on PS4, such as AC:S, Fallout 4 take a long time to install. Once the game loads the small bit of data(think it's called play go file) on the live screen, the game launches but it needs to instal the remaining data of the game which can take 15-20mins. I believe because these are open world titles. Other such titles don't need the entire game installed before playing.

Venom Fox

Banned
Some games on PS4, such as AC:S, Fallout 4 take a long time to install. Once the game loads the small bit of data(think it's called play go file) on the live screen, the game launches but it needs to instal the remaining data of the game which can take 15-20mins. I believe because these are open world titles. Other such titles don't need the entire game installed before playing.
Fallout 4 and Assassins creed Syndicate never took that long for me to install. I started my FO4 within 60 seconds and could start playing straight away. Same with AC:S.

Rainbow six Seige on my XB1 however needed the full game before it'd let me play anything. I could start the game but couldn't actually play anything. Microsoft need to sort this bullshit once and for all.

MAX PAYMENT

Ps4 actually takes a while to fully install. You just get to a it during install. I found this out because mine is bugged and if I play during install it fucks the install up 90% of the time. I have to wait an hourish.

Wtf... 5 hours? The longest I've had to wait for a patch is about 30 minutes for Dragon Age on the PS4. And I thought that was bad. But all the other games were minor in terms of patches (2-5 min download + install).

RoKKeR

Took all day yesterday to install Fallout 4. Hasn't improved at all, one of the worst parts of the system.

From a disc btw.

Top Bottom