• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

starmud

my biggest concern was how choppy the cable video feed was. im expecting the voice controls to not be as snappy as you'd wish they'd be. maybe even slightly slow. the hardware reviews will be interesting.

But the guy wasn't even adressing your other reasons. You say it could be a billion things including a bad cable box, the guy says it's ridiculous that they would demo with a bad cable box, and then you get all mad about how the guy expects the UI to be done. I'm not sure what you're reading selectively.

I dunno why they used that cable box. But neither do you. Hell, was this video even done at MS? MS have the general public test OS windows8 release candidates that crash and are buggy messes and you think that a small chunk of a video tells the whole story? Having something work with something else that there's a shit ton of different models and brands of out there is not exactly easy. Oh but this is MS so lets shit on them some more for showing that unfinished product in conjunction with another product that they didn't design. Oh and have it work perfectly right now, or else.

They should do like Sony from now on, show a little of something once then say nothing for months. Should avoid this type of crap.

When you're not transparent, people shit on you for not showing or saying enough, when you are, they shit on you for showing how unfinished it looks. Good ol forums. Never change.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I remember seeing the video in question probably a day after the Xbox launch. It didn't even register in my brain that it was anything big just "devkit".

I mean if they had a launch model running launch software and it was running like that then I would have laughed.

Ploid 3.0

I knew it was faked. When people was asking for someone to yell Xbox Off I thought it wouldn't have done anything even if the guy on stage said it. Everytime microsoft does kinect stuff live it usually go bad.

And guess what, it'll likely play games well. We all should wait until E3 before we say one way or another though, but there's been nothing to suggest it won't play games well. Some people seem to think that MS is a single threaded company when they can handle multiple threads at once that won't affect each other. When launch comes around in 5 months and there are only two launch titles, and all the marketing is showing commercials for nothing but Live TV, then we can complain about the Xbox One not having games.

The voice commands, the search, the on screen guide, even utilizing the controller should be faster than the cable box. The only thing you'll have to deal with is the slow channel changing. Everything else should go through the Xbox One and be faster and quicker to navigate. It'll be a step up.

Which cable box has voice commands? And how does it apply to anyone without that service?
Comcast has a new cable box called X1. It has voice command features. The point is that this is likely to become the norm in a few years.

PFD

I'll repost what I asked in the last thread: not surprising that the UI was faked, as I'm sure it was with the PS4 demo in Feb. What is surprising is that they started work on the Xbox OS back in November 2012 ("we've come a long way in seven months.") which means they'll have barely a year to have the Xbox OS done. Is that a standard amount of time for a console OS or does that seem really short to anyone else? Especially an OS as complex as this one?

I think she was only talking about TV stuff in that statement. She's just the leader of the live TV team.

Demon Ice

Banned
Not surprised. 360's OS was bloated and unresponsive as hell too, and this one running 3 at the same time isn't going to be smooth.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not surprised. 360's OS was bloated and unresponsive as hell too

Do we have different Xboxes? I've read a few people claim that the 360's UI is unresponsive and bloated but I've never noticed it myself.

[edit]Admittedly I haven't used it much since the most recent dash update.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
that video is of a early build. (and they still have till probably august to rtm it and then they will have a update on day one). anyway it is not like this stuff hasn't been proven to be possible (voice, snapping etc), the device will be plenty powerful enough to run these operations.

And of course the presentation was faked, they are always faked (especially when something isn't finished). Also, there was a thread on gaf about this a few days after the event.

basically, unfinished software. if you have ever used a beta product you know how fast it changes from each build.

Heretic

So the thing they told me that it does, that I didn't want it to do, it doesn't do well?

Hell, that's swell, oh well.

I understand the concerns. If it indeed ships this way then that blows! But lets way to see what the product actually looks like when it ships.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Do we have different Xboxes? I've read a few people claim that the 360's UI is unresponsive and bloated but I've never noticed it myself.

Its neither unresponsive or bloated.

Mikey Jr.

The thing about skype is that literally 80% of the time, I'm not wearing pants.

So now I have to wear pants while playing?

Ughhhh. Yeah, fuck that.

Comcast has a new cable box called X1. It has voice command features. The point is that this is likely to become the norm in a few years.

How often do people swap out cable boxes though? How often is it free? How likely is it that every service is going to do it and all 100 million of those people are going to get new boxes? Plus not all voice command is equal. If it's from Comcast, I bet you it will be way worse than Microsoft's implementation.

Flo_Evans

This is what boggles my mind...

Your receiver only has 1 HDMI input?

Your receiver is a web browser?

Your receiver can make skype calls?

Your receiver has a webcam on it?

Do you even know what a receiver is? I will give you a hint it has to do with audio. It decodes audio and passes the video feed along to the TV. Can the xbox even do that?

NO, I have to run from the cable box, to the xone, to the receiver!

Takes about 30-40 seconds to boot up for me after the initial Xbox Logo swoosh. And even then I can't quickly swap windows. It takes 20 seconds to switched to my "pinned apps" window, even though the only thing there is IE. There's general sluggishness between windows, and when I get to friends I only see their word bubbles floating in the void for another 30-45 seconds before I see avatars and status.

Yeah, its gotten worse over time. I blame silverlight ads.

Paradicia

Yes, it looked like it chugged in parts but when you take into consideration the console itself is months away from launch and the software is still being written then I don't see anything wrong with it, being early code.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I do think Skype is a neat feature, cause it can enhance co-op play and multiplayer, if it works well.
This also works during gaming, right?

They made it sound like it does, but the Kotaku inside report says that games are paused when using the snap feature. So I'm not really sure.

Tiops

I thought it was staged. It's actually smart to do it, sometimes things fail for many reasons, and it's really bad when things fail in the middle of a presentation. But that "Let's do it again! See how fast it is?" thing is the real problem, as the system doesn't work that way yet.

Does this means we'll have a huge patch on day 1? Or they'll be able to fix everything before they start shipping the console?

Demon Ice

Banned

I'm comparing it to the PS3's, I feel like every time I push the guide button it lags for a bit. Like trying to do friend invites and manage parties and messages while in game feels like I'm wading through molasses. Once you're in the actual dashboard it's okay but still doesn't feel as snappy as the PS3's.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm comparing it to the PS3's, I feel like every time I push the guide button it lags for a bit. Once you're in the actual dashboard it's fine but still doesn't feel as snappy as the PS3's.

I think there is something wrong with your Xbox and something wrong with my PS3.

jrDev

e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif
Omg!!

I wouldn't say the entire thing was faked. The hand swipes were most definitely real, in fact his hands ever go into his pockets for any of them. However anything with a voice command I highly painfully so doubt.

Takuya

Banned
I wouldn't say the entire thing was faked. The hand swipes were most definitely real, in fact his hands ever go into his pockets for any of them. However anything with a voice command I highly painfully so doubt.

With so many people "applauding" in the back, I'm sure one of them has a clicker too.

Demon Ice

Banned
I think there is something wrong with your Xbox and something wrong with my PS3.

Edited my response to clarify a bit more. Wouldn't surprise me if there was something borked in my 360, but I've also used my friend's 360 Slim edition and the OS feels the same in game.

How often do people swap out cable boxes though? How often is it free? How likely is it that every service is going to do it and all 100 million of those people are going to get new boxes? Plus not all voice command is equal. If it's from Comcast, I bet you it will be way worse than Microsoft's implementation.

You're making a lot of assumptions to make the Xbox One have a viable place to enhance cable boxes.

stang6604

That's not choppy. That's Directv. The feed during the reveal was cable. Anyone with Directv knows how slowly their stuff loads via the satellite. The Xbox can't magically make that communication work faster.

are you serious? i've had cable. i now have direct. my direct is amazing quality. no lag or slow loading.

shola

Banned
so fucking what?

a demo of a product that isnt anywhere near final, not working as snappy, stagged demo during presentation to demonstrate how it will work when all the kinks are worked out. sue them.

using a gif to prove a point, seriously gtfo.

RayMaker

Banned
Noticed this the day the video came out

I'am sure it will be as smooth as butter come release.

I dont know why anyone would think otherwise.

Top Bottom