• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

Melchiah

Well maybe he meant that they didn't give an actual live demo of it like ms did : Not entirely sure what he meant though.

Edit: Or did they show the press a private demo? I'm actually not sure on that myself.

Sony did show live gameplay, and demonstrated the Share option by uploading the Killzone gameplay sequence online.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
By what basis is this? People are throwing this around but I don't think they understand that it's a non issue. The slowness is when you change channels and that it can take a second or two before you see the channel change. If you're saying "Watch ESPN" or "Watch Seinfeld", it's just going to change to that channel and you won't really care if takes a second or two.

I hate the delay in changing channels with my DirecTV DVR so I was impressed by the speed shown in the reveal conference. I knew it was fake after it came out that it just hooked up to your cable/satellite box as of course it's going to be limited by the speed of those--and all I've had on Comcast and DTV are pretty laggy with channel changes etc.

Voice commands are nice for when you don't know where a channel is--like me having to Google where spike was to watch the Xbox reveal. So it is a nice feature. But I'd still mind the few second lag in getting there. Especially as it's pretty rare that I want to watch something on a channel I don't have the number memorized as about all I watch live is sports. Everything else I DVR so I can skip commercials. Just a random thing like that Xbox conference a time or two a year--and really not a big deal to just go to Google and type in "What channel is Spike on DirecTV," so the Xbox TV stuff lost a lot of appeal to me when it was clear that it wouldn't work anywhere near as fast or seamlessly as what they demoed.

ciridesu

You speak a lot of sense, man.

Sadly people will still bash it, because its Microsoft.

Not everything is about some blatant anti-MS agenda.

No doubt, the general UI etc. will be smooth as butter by launch. But the TV capabilities? Not likely, as it is extremely dependent on speed of cable boxes; which tend to be extremely slow.

Hence, what MS showed on stage a few weeks back is likely to be limited by the inherent problem of cable boxes and their quality.

That GUI looks like the channel listing interface they showed at the conference with Comcast. I see nothing that implies DVR functionality. They haven't said it does DVR. Reporters have reported it doesn't do DVR. Why are you assuming it does DVR against all that? DVR isn't something the box just hands over through a passthrough. It has to actually be permitted. And using an IR blaster to get it makes the whole thing pointless if you are going back to the remote for the most used feature of cable boxes.

You. Do. Not. Understand. How. It. Works.

When you plug in a cable/satellite box into a 5.1/7.1 receiver, can they eliminate the GUI or remove DVR functionality?

The Xbox One is doing a video pass through with an overlay. You will be able to see your cable/satellite box GUI at all times. The Xbox One cannot do anything to get rid of it. You can clearly see that in the video when they change channels. It is still there. There is nothing to prevent you from seeing or accessing the DVR interface as the video is piped through the Xbox One. The fact that it has an IR blaster and is already doing commands to change channels and so forth makes it stupidly trivial to add Play, Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, Record, DVR List, etc as voice commands that send an IR command to the box. If you're holding a controller, there's no reason you can't use it to control the interface as it sends IR commands to your DVR like it's the remote. There is nothing to prevent the most basic access to your DVR. It's really a question of how integrated the experience is, not whether you'll have access to it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Comments like this are everywhere and I don't understand them at all. In the past two weeks, people seem to be acting like Microsoft is some sort of punching bag that has always been bashed regardless of what they do.

I've seen this posted a few times recently, and I really don't want to get tangled up in console war nonsense, and I really don't want to suggest that Microsoft haven't dun goofed with the Xbone, or that Microsoft have not done a lot to warrant it, but they kinda have always been the punching bag. Look back at the reaction to the 360 announce. It was 'Xbox 1.5' and agreeing that next gen starts when Sony says it does. The reaction to Windows 8. 'M$'. People love to hate Microsoft.

My general impression is that the majority of self-identifying gamers have never had the kind of love for MS that they have for Nintendo or Sony. Even at PS3 launch the ire was focussed on how bad Sony were instead of how good MS were by comparison.

Wow I love how much people are inferring from a 3 second clip.

My guess is that it was just an intermittent screw up that happened to be caught on film. This happens all the time with pre-release software, especially when you are running it in endless loops for press demos (trust me, i've been there). Likely a memory leak, handle leak, thread leak etc caused a performance issue until someone went and reset the box.

To then infer from this that the whole live demo was faked and the real product is going to be as slow as shown in this clip is just crazy SDF talk.

I hate the delay in changing channels with my DirecTV DVR so I was impressed by the speed shown in the reveal conference. I knew it was fake after it came out that it just hooked up to your cable/satellite box as of course it's going to be limited by the speed of those--and all I've had on Comcast and DTV are pretty laggy with channel changes etc.

Voice commands are nice for when you don't know where a channel is--like me having to Google where spike was to watch the Xbox reveal. So it is a nice feature. But I'd still mind the few second lag in getting there. Especially as it's pretty rare that I want to watch something on a channel I don't have the number memorized as about all I watch live is sports. Everything else I DVR so I can skip commercials. Just a random thing like that Xbox conference a time or two a year--and really not a big deal to just go to Google and type in "What channel is Spike on DirecTV," so the Xbox TV stuff lost a lot of appeal to me when it was clear that it wouldn't work anywhere near as fast or seamlessly as what they demoed.

I think that's fair to want a faster input and fair to criticize MS for implying they were going to solve that.

That said, there's nothing about the slowness of changing the channel that prevents it from working with the Xbox One. In fact, most people will be used it and there's no real urgency of interactivity of multiple responses on a channel change once you change the channel. So at the minimum they're going to get what they have, plus more. They're not going to get a worse experience, and it will work.

But people do. It's the prime reason, why voice recognition and commands haven't taken off properly in almost any technology ever.

But if they're used to the lag in the channel change, how is "Watch ESPN" going to anger them any more? In fact, the fact that they don't have to pull up the guide, and scroll to ESPN because they just said it, means it will be faster and quicker to them not slower or more annoying. They're not going to care because once they say it, it will pop up even if it takes a second or two and the experience will have been better than before.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

When you plug in a cable/satellite box into a 5.1/7.1 receiver, can they eliminate the GUI or remove DVR functionality?

The Xbox One is doing a video pass through with an overlay. You will be able to see your cable/satellite box GUI at all times. The Xbox One cannot do anything to get rid of it. You can clearly see that in the video when they change channels. It is still there. There is nothing to prevent you from seeing or accessing the DVR interface as the video is piped through the Xbox One. The fact that it has an IR blaster and is already doing commands to change channels and so forth makes it stupidly trivial to add Play, Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, Record, DVR List, etc as voice commands that send an IR command to the box. If you're holding a controller, there's no reason you can't use it to control the interface as it sends IR commands to your DVR like it's the remote. There is nothing to prevent the most basic access to your DVR. It's really a question of how integrated the experience is, not whether you'll have access to it.

But really, there's just not much point to using it for that. I already have a Harmony remote so it's only two button presses to switch inputs etc. (Activities and then whatever activity I want to watch).

With this just controlling the cable/sat box via an IR blaster, it's not going to be faster or offer a better GUI etc. Voice commands are kind of nice I guess, but not really a big deal IMO.

If it had a tuner and cable/sat card slot and could thus replace the need for a cable/sat box then I'd be a lot more interested as it would de-clutter the TV stand and wire mess some, and possibly offer better speed in changing channels, a better GUI etc. As is, I don't have much interest and can just wait and see if DTV, Tivo etc. put out a DVR with voice commands if I ever really want them.

Sony did show live gameplay, and demonstrated the Share option by uploading the Killzone gameplay sequence online.

And its impossible for them to have already uploaded beforehand? Or from another PC that uploads a video and just have the guy replay the same way as that video? In the end, we'll see the truth when actual users use them.

CLEEK

I'm sure a Day 1 Firmware update will fix everything.

Bare in mind that MS confirmed that all the TV stuff will only be available in the US at launch. So it's clear that this is still a fuck load of work to be done on the MS side to get it working, and the finished implementation will be months after the Xbone launches.

But really, there's just not much point to using it for that. I already have a Harmony remote so it's only two button presses to switch inputs etc. (Activities and then whatever activity I want to watch).

With this just controlling the cable/sat box via an IR blaster, it's not going to be faster or offer a better GUI etc. Voice commands are kind of nice I guess, but not really a big deal IMO.

I just control my AV set-up with my TV remote. I select the HDMI input I want, and as my TV, AVR, BD and PS3 have HDMI-CEC, it changes the source and even turns on the device I want to use.

I agree with everyone that says you kind of expect this to be the case, and most people noticed it wasn't real time.

...But then, they shouldn't have focused SO MUCH on saying "see? see how fast that was?". That part is sleazy, in my opinion. It's one thing to show the concept of what you are aiming for, it's another to highlight how fast it is when it's nothing of the sort.

A million times this. It was the only semi impressive thing of the entire reveal. It was obvious the video weren't real time, but there should have been no need to fake UI.

And certainly not highlight how awesome and snappy the fake stuff was. That's just low.

If it had a tuner and cable/sat card slot and could thus replace the need for a cable/sat box then I'd be a lot more interested as it would de-clutter the TV stand and wire mess some, and possibly offer better speed in changing channels, a better GUI etc. As is, I don't have much interest and can just wait and see if DTV, Tivo etc. put out a DVR with voice commands if I ever really want them.

I've used this example before.

You're watching a show. A notification pops up from your friend requesting you to join him in a game. You tell the Xbox to record the show so you can finish watching it later. You open up the join request and hop into the game because it's already installed on your system. It's a quicker way of doing things. You can't get notifications on different inputs.

I have a Harmony remote and love it and it's made my system usable to other people who couldn't use it before. Eliminating the need of the remote just makes it easier and more streamlined. Why pick it up if you don't need to.

And its impossible for them to have already uploaded beforehand? Or from another PC that uploads a video and just have the guy replay the same way as that video? In the end, we'll see the truth when actual users use them.

Recording and uploading a video isn't exactly mindblowing... I think we can assume they were able to do that live.

Recording and uploading a video isn't exactly mindblowing... I think we can assume they were able to do that live.

Assuming yes. But having a demo on stage isn't actual proof of anything, especially considering the fact that most demos at every e3 are "controlled" as hell.

Then why do they talk about how this will work for only certain providers at first and in the US only? If it's just a video passthrough, why wouldn't any box work in any country? If it's as simple as recieving video, why are there limitations?

Raoh

Did people actually believe that it was live?

They presenters new what to say at specific plays and moments. It's funny because this is how MS and many companies fool people for years. Even the Natal video was a vision video where it was all fake and scripted but people got excited as if they were able to do that out of the box.

A lot of companies, especially microsoft will sell you a dream, then when you buy it, will use your money to try and get to where they promised you you would be in the first place. This is MS 101.

This is why all of Microsoft's desktop OS's are usually unstable or lacking until Service Pack 1 or 2.

I just hope they work out the bugs and performance issues. Else they're treading Sony 2006 territory.

At the moment I think MS will sort out these issues.

Watching the reveal show again and some of the features they showed have to work as shown. Particularly the hand gestures.

It seems like he's pressing a clicker or something when switching back and forth between tv and dash but later on he says xbox go home with his hands out of his pockets and it works just as fast. The hand gestures are close to 1 to 1 as well.

But then you see the Wired video and its slow as molasses.

ShapeGSX

Then why do they talk about how this will work for only certain providers at first and in the US only? If it's just a video passthrough, why wouldn't any box work in any country? If it's as simple as recieving video, why are there limitations?

They need to have the TV listings for all local providers for the guide. Those are probably the TV features they intend to be limited in other countries at first.

There's no reason a passthrough wouldn't work anywhere.

Melchiah

There was an interview, perhaps on Edge, where they mentioned fiddling with it a day before the show, and hoping it'll work.

Because they still need guide info, IR commands to control boxes and so forth in order for it to work. Plus some interviews hinted at possible DVR integration so maybe some providers might provide a way to do things that's a bit more streamlined. There are several methods to send a command over the network to tell a box to record a show so they might be integrating that. There's a number of reasons why not every box will work all at once. It's not like nothing is being done. But even to address your question, even at its core, you could plug any box into the Xbox One, from any country and see the video output on the Xbox One and then control it with the original remote control and it will work. Heck, you'll be able to plug in a PlayStation 4 and it will work. Nothing can stop that.

Assuming yes. But having a demo on stage isn't actual proof of anything, especially considering the fact that most demos at every e3 are "controlled" as hell.

I think it was live since the guy playing sucked and missed a lot of easy shots that didn't put the game in the best light.

Rapstah

Not denying that it's possible to fake it, but the video that appeared on their Facebook page at the time actually contained the exact camera movements and inputs the guy did on stage, and there are enough different demonstrations of that exact demo to tell that it's that same playthrough. To fake it they would have had to fake it on stage too, which is totally possible, mind.

Because they still need guide info, IR commands to control boxes and so forth in order for it to work. Plus some interviews hinted at possible DVR integration so maybe some providers might provide a way to do things that's a bit more streamlined. There are several methods to send a command over the network to tell a box to record a show so they might be integrating that. There's a number of reasons why not every box will work all at once. It's not like nothing is being done. But even to address your question, even at its core, you could plug any box into the Xbox One, from any country and see the video output on the Xbox One and then control it with the original remote control and it will work. Heck, you'll be able to plug in a PlayStation 4 and it will work. Nothing can stop that.

Have they said the latter part of your statements? You'd think they'd say this thing will work for all boxes at a minimal level if it did. I think you are assuming they are not having the HDMI in be a controlled input.

Have they said the latter part of your statements? You'd think they'd say this thing will work for all boxes at a minimal level if it did. I think you are assuming they are not having the HDMI in be a controlled input.

That's a PR nightmare to try and say that and try to explain it. It's best to keep it simple than rather try to explain all the different possible scenarios of what HDMI in means. Heck they didn't even mention HDMI in or IR Blaster at the unveiling. There is nothing they can do to stop it.

th4tguy

Isn't this video old? It was released right after the event. Also, I believe Wired recorded this a few months before the reveal.

Also, speaking from experience, when you show off incomplete software, you show off the build that isn't going to lock up or crash. It would be really really bad if the system performed this poorly at launch. It won't happen.

That's a PR nightmare to try and say that and try to explain it. It's best to keep it simple than rather try to explain all the different possible scenarios of what HDMI in means. Heck they didn't even mention HDMI in or IR Blaster at the unveiling. There is nothing they can do to stop it.

But there is something they can do. HDMI is a controllable input. They can design it to block non-whitelisted boxes or other devices.

Meier

Thanks for mentioning CBOAT's post. I kind of sporadically browse the gaming section these days so I didn't know he'd posted so much within the past few months. Some good insight.

This thread has told me that Nintendo should fake more of their shows since apparently nice mockups/fakes are better than having an actual working product

Isn't this video old? It was released right after the event. Also, I believe Wired recorded this a few months before the reveal.

Also, speaking from experience, when you show off incomplete software, you show off the build that isn't going to lock up or crash. It would be really really bad if the system performed this poorly at launch. It won't happen.

So you firmly believe that Microsoft is incapable of releasing a product that performs poorly at launch? That's a pretty bold statement.

But there is something they can do. HDMI is a controllable input. They can design it to block non-whitelisted boxes or other devices.

Some devices can use HDMI as a method of communicating commands, but the Xbox One won't be able to identify what device you've plugged into it. You're confusing what controllable input means with regards to HDMI.

The fact that it was still a live real demo was still impressive(GG has further confirmed this by there comments, "we were crossing our fingers in hope that it wouldnt crash on stage as there was 3 bugs still in the code.") As was Sony uploading the footage to FB. I'm just saying its obvious that Sony is farther a long with there OS and game software than MS is at this point. There stuff is more ready. There was some rumors that's supported this as well.

Wasp

Considering the Xbox One is supposed to be an "all-in-one" box it's crazy that it doesn't have a built-in TV tuner and RF input so you can plug your TV aerial directly into the console.

I don't know how TV works in the US but in the UK (and most of Europe) those two things would give the console access to 50 free channels and 25 radio stations and act as a DVR without the need for any other box.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Look back at the reaction to the 360 announce. It was 'Xbox 1.5' and agreeing that next gen starts when Sony says it does. The reaction to Windows 8. 'M$'. People love to hate Microsoft.
Yeah, let's just skip right over the love affair GAF had with the 360 for the first few years, even right through RROD as people continued to buy 4th and 5th iterations of the hardware. Let's also ignore abundant justification of the value many perceive in their XBL subscriptions here. Gloss right over picking multiplats on 360 over PS3 for minor differences in texture quality and framerate that wouldn't register to most people. This place is just wall-to-wall MS hate, always and forever!

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, let's just skip right over the love affair GAF had with the 360 for the first few years, even right through RROD as people continued to buy 4th and 5th iterations of the hardware. Let's also ignore abundant justification of the value many perceive in their XBL subscriptions here. Gloss right over picking multiplats on 360 over PS3 for minor differences in texture quality and framerate that wouldn't register to most people. This place is just wall-to-wall xbox hate, always and forever!

These people are hilarious, aren't they? It's always the next thing with these fanboys.

They just can't face up to the fact that there is something seriously wrong with the system Microsoft revealed, and that this was self-evident to 90% of neoGAF. Literally 90%, because that's the percent of people who rated the conference 5/10 or less.

And they'll always just conveniently ignore how often Sony and Nintendo caught shit for their colossal fuck ups. neoGAF is not biased as an entity; it's a den of hardcore gamers that naturally react over-the-top to ANY negative news, no matter which company it is. Right now it's Microsoft's turn, because...well...Xbox One.

These people are hilarious, aren't they? It's always the next thing with these fanboys.

They just can't face up to the fact that there is something seriously wrong with the system Microsoft revealed, and that this was self-evident to 90% of neoGAF. Literally 90%, because that's the percent of people who rated the conference 5/10 or less.

And they'll always just conveniently ignore how often Sony and Nintendo caught shit for their colossal fuck ups. neoGAF is not biased; it's a den of hardcore gamers that naturally react over-the-top to ANY negative news, no matter which company it is. Right now it's Microsoft's turn, because...well...Xbox One.

That's also the percentage of people that rated a thumbs down on that Fantasia Kinect video.

Seance

Banned
So the TV stuff that i never wanted, that won't even be available where i live most likely, is shit?
Shame...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
serious question, did people not know the reveal was pre-recorded? maybe 'scripted' is better word, I mean. it was live. but the interface and stuff. MS does that every year. it was pretty hilarious last time seeing the prompter at E3 last year tell Joe Montana "you will score a touch down now. celebrate!' when he was demoing Madden.

I don't even understand what people are attempting to critique here? An unreleased console's pre-release OS? We know what it will be like on release. So there was some sluggishness in a video for an unreleased console.

Why wouldn't it run exactly as demonstrated at the reveal on release? People honestly think Microsoft are going to release it while it's running like that? I'm starting to think people found that demonstration more impressive than they are letting on, hence why they've been so aggressive in challenging it.

Jack_AG

Banned
Watching the reveal show again and some of the features they showed have to work as shown. Particularly the hand gestures.

It seems like he's pressing a clicker or something when switching back and forth between tv and dash but later on he says xbox go home with his hands out of his pockets and it works just as fast. The hand gestures are close to 1 to 1 as well.

But then you see the Wired video and its slow as molasses.

Did you even watch the same show? He flails his arms about several times accidentally right in front of Kinect without the Xbox doing anything. Is the unit omniscient? Does it know precisely when he meant to use a gesture? Also watch the phone. He slides multiple directions on the device but the Xbox only moves in one direction.

Surely something this monumentally fucking simple should be working right - but it was still faked.

orioto

Good Art™
The fact that it was faked was obvious for a simple reason. Something that complex couldn't work that well exactly at the right second the host wanted it. And he was doing 10 things at the same time on its XBOne, and the "game" part gave him a Forza trailer lol..

I honestly think demoing such a thing on stage is doomed to failed if you don't fake it.

Top Bottom