• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

Fjolle

lol I watched the wired video.

good luck playing a game, watching a tv show and trying to Skype. The system looked like was was chugging just trying to snap a small window over the UI.

they have a lot of work to do.

It is also incredibly disingenuous of them to fake the entire presentation.

Yea. Because there's absolutely no way that they will be able to improve performance between now and launch.

They didn't present how the system performs now. They presented how they want the system to perform.

StuBurns

Banned
It's shitty as hell, but it'll be cleaned up by launch almost certainly.

However, the exchange:

"I don't know the channel, what can I do?"

"Channel 13!"

What?

Bgamer90

Banned
The original in game dashboard was trash in PGR3, and look how amazing it is now. I am confident they will surpass whatever they showed during that presentation.

Like I said, the Xbox 360 dashboard went through a decent amount of changes from what was shown in May 2005 to what was shown on November 2005 (launch).

Assuming that what was shown on the Xbox One in terms of UI now will be exactly the same to how it will be at launch in 2013 (you know, a time in which things get updated all the time) is a bit silly.

McHuj

So just like the original Kinect. It's all smoke and mirrors at this point.

That was my first reaction to. Since Kinect launched, I assume everything and anything MS says is completely embellished BS until proven otherwise.

Loomba

What's the small print in commercials?

"Sequences shortened or sped up" or something... yeah it's that. I'm sure it'll be very close to what it's like from the conference but I doubt they can make it that smooth.

Exactly. This is still months out. Obviously its not finished and polished. When it launches it will be basically be like what they showed at the reveal.

Or it won't.

It can go both ways. Many OS have issues at launch these days.

No matter when this sort of thing is faked, it is blatant lying and the way that Mehdi played it up was despicable.

GamerJM

Banned

However, the exchange:

"Channel 13!"

What?

I found that strange too, I think the point was that if you don't know what the channel is you'll guess first and it'll bring you to the wrong channel, and from there you can just say the name of the channel. Extremely strange though.

Takuya

Banned
However, the exchange:

"Channel 13!"

What?
Lol, she probably wanted to show that even if it wasn't the right change new, you could switch again. But the response time was terrible, it took more than two seconds for it to scroll down the guide.

Honestly, I expect all on-stage demonstrations to be faked to some degree and even more to the point don't blame them at all. It's a half year or so until release....

Anyone believing even for a split second that a stage demonstration is actually using live input and not just video, especially when timing and presentation is crucial is delusional or naive. It's highly unprofessional to leave anything to chance, just look at the embarassing Skyward Sword fiasko 2010. Miyamoto looked like a fool when the controls started to spaz out.

The system is far from release, and honestly, for a WIP presentation it still looks amazing.

The UI and OS in the Xbone is going to be impressive. Shame about the DRM bullshit and Kinect.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there's no way it can work that fast since you just plug your cable/satellite box into it.

So channel changing etc. is going to go at whatever speed your box regular goes at, or slower if the One causes any extra lag. Disappointing as I hate how slow and clunky my old DirecTV DVR is at changing channels--especially for channels in different resolutions and would love something that worked as seamlessly as they demoed--but knew it was bunk as soon as they stated that it just had a plug in for cable/satellite boxes and no built in tuner/TV DVR.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, I think a lot of the ground concepts were probably given them a good headstart considering the infrastructure that is in place with Xbox 360 OS currently. Not that this completely makes up for the time, but it is at least slightly better
Yeah, I guess so. I'm sure alot of this being Windows 8 native helps too. But man, that sounds like quite a deadline crunch.

Also, every single Xbone OS example has been so laughable. "Let's say it's Monday night, I want to watch Monday Night Football, but I have no idea what channel ESPN is on. What can I do?"

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"monday night football is about to start and I have no idea what my ESPN channel is. What can I do?"

the daily struggles of modern man

also, the UI looked like trash but it's months away from release so who cares. they'll have it ready.

R3TRODYCE

I like Peter Rubin;Back on topic though she clearly says at the end of the video that this is an early build and when it launches it'll be fine.

Drachma

Banned
They faked it? Why?

Could there be something in those rumours about the Xbone being months behind in development?

Trogdor1123

Could that be because of the way they blurred the content out? Also why dont they show it with something other than sports? Why not something with different timeslots like the disney channel.

Xbox Choppy.

choppyowusv.gif

#xboned

However, the exchange:

"Channel 13!"

What?
Yeah, that seemed like the perfect softball lead-up to the magic of "Xbox, watch ESPN!"

But noooooooooooooo......

I have no idea.

she even says that was from a 7month old build.

I found that strange too, I think the point was that if you don't know what the channel is you'll guess first and it'll bring you to the wrong channel, and from there you can just say the name of the channel. Extremely strange though.

she put it onto a random channel to show you how you can call espn. She was on espn before so she needed to change the channel first.

Anyone believing even for a split second that a stage demonstration is actually using live input and not just video, especially when timing and presentation is crucial is delusional or naive. It's highly unprofessional to leave anything to chance, just look at the embarassing Skyward Sword fiasko 2010. Miyamoto looked like a fool when the controls started to spaz out.

The system is far from release, and honestly, for a WIP presentation it still looks amazing.

The UI and OS in the Xbone is going to be impressive. Shame about the DRM bullshit and Kinect.

Dude, it's Metro, and Metro, is hot garbage.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well, I think a lot of the ground concepts were probably given them a good headstart considering the infrastructure that is in place with Xbox 360 OS currently. Not that this completely makes up for the time, but it is at least slightly better

Thing is, they need to rewrite the OS as they are moving from PPC to X86 and features take quite a bit of time

Even in the colony video right before E3 2005, the dashboard didn't look the same and looked buggy/choppy as hell

People who use windows alpha/beta builds knows how late everything comes together...

It's not surprising that the product isn't fully optimized yet, but the fast-response and smooth video in Snap was easily the best thing about the xbone reveal. If the final product doesn't perform as well as the demonstration it'll hurt what's one of the console's best selling points right now.

Top Bottom