• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

299 is doa here in Europe, the 500gb has been going for like 269 with a game or two for ages now.

Needs to be 199 for any kind of impact.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is Microsoft wanting us to be most excited for ehat is ultimately a media upgrade? What happened to "all about the games"? Isn't this the same mentality that hurt them the first time around?

I mean, insiders prove me wrong, but there's nothing in this HW update to actually improve the gaming experience, right?

So we're getting all excited for 4K streaming and a UHD BD drive...for movies?

Bundled Elite versions, aka Halo 5, I suspect.
It's a standard form factor shrink combined with a relatively unprecedented bump in associated capabilities.

Excitement is for a new form factor plus for some the 4k stuff.

So same excitement reasons as ps3slim, x360s and so on.

univbee

Can someone explain what's this "HDR"? What does it do and why should it matter?

Somewhat oversimplified but you get 10-bit color instead of 8-bit color, which means much richer colors, whiter whites and blacker blacks. It's part of the 4K spec and your TV set has to support it.

Many people say this has a bigger effect on how good 4K content looks than the resolution itself does.

Withnail

$299 with UHD BD playback is a game changer for the AV market, never mind the gaming market.

Shaping up to be an interesting year :)

Yeah most likely these will be the prices that we're going to hear tonight.

Although I'd rather see the 2TB sku end up with the $299 price tag just so the 500GB sku (if it exists) ends up being cheaper. I'd just plug in more external drives whenever I need more storage.

I see $299 as the 1TB version and $349 as the 2TB.

Withnail

Somewhat oversimplified but you get 10-bit color instead of 8-bit color, which means much richer colors, whiter whites and blacker blacks. It's part of the 4K spec and your TV set has to support it.

Many people say this has a bigger effect on how good 4K content looks than the resolution itself does.

Not really accurate. HDR is not an expanded colour space, it's just brightness/contrast. Expanded colour is part of UHD but it's a different part of the spec (Rec.2020), which I doubt the Xbox will support.

winstano

On that note, does anyone know if this still has its USB ports? Or maybe a bump to USB 3.0? I'm worried with the increased storage capacity options available there's a chance they might stop supporting external HDs.

The existing Xbox one has usb3.0. If you want to use an external drive, it needs to be a 3.0 one

TBiddy

Not really accurate. HDR is not an expanded colour space, it's just brightness/contrast. Expanded colour is part of UHD but it's a different part of the spec (Rec.2020), which I doubt the Xbox will support.

DCI P3 is part of 'HDR' though, and supports more colours in the spectrum, than your average TV at home.

univbee

$299 with UHD BD playback is a game changer for the AV market, never mind the gaming market.

Shaping up to be an interesting year :)

I'd be interested to see how this goes, that I'm aware of, everyone has migrated to streaming solutions for their media, which is built into most current TV's especially 4K ones, and buys very little in terms of Blu-rays and the like, and that's with them being single-digit prices in many circumstances while UHD is still like $25US minimum.

Withnail

I'd be interested to see how this goes, that I'm aware of, everyone has migrated to streaming solutions for their media, which is built into most current TV's especially 4K ones, and buys very little in terms of Blu-rays and the like, and that's with them being single-digit prices in many circumstances while UHD is still like $25US minimum.

People said exactly the same in 2006. Physical media will be around for a long time to come. Also there's a big difference between Netflix 4K and UHD BD, and the people currently buying 4K TVs want to see the pretties.

univbee

People said exactly the same in 2006. Physical media will be around for a long time to come. Also there's a big difference between Netflix 4K and UHD BD, and the people currently buying 4K TVs want to see the pretties.

To be clear, I definitely think physical media still has an important role to fill, and while I buy way less than I used to I still have a fairly large selection of Blu-ray discs, but Blu-ray wasn't a huge gamechanger either when compared to the original DVD juggernaut. Interesting times ahead, regardless.

mocoworm

Don't take this the wrong way, but is Microsoft wanting us to be most excited for ehat is ultimately a media upgrade? What happened to "all about the games"? Isn't this the same mentality that hurt them the first time around?

Tom Warren on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/742025394673618945

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren
24 hours until Microsoft's Xbox E3 event. I think it's gonna surprise a lot of people

David V ‏@The0DD1
@tomwarren Was the Xbox One Slim that just leaked supposed to be the surprise, or is there something else?

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren
@The0DD1 no, everyone knew the slim was coming

Elitist1945

Of course it will.

It's a given.

giphy.gif

THE:MILKMAN

Hmmm... interesting. You've got my attention.

The only things I can think of is that Scorpio is going to be detailed and/or coming sooner than we think.......Or:

*crazy talk* Xbox One S has more power?

It was weird how Tom was basically saying to Arthur Gies that Scorpio at E3 was madness for Microsoft and then suddenly changed his stance and used the same language as Arthur (Microsoft will surprise a lot of people)

Or it's something completely different that hasn't leaked....

Mindwipe

Can someone explain what's this "HDR"? What does it do and why should it matter?

High Dynamic Range means that there is a greater difference on screen between the dark and the bright sections of the picture, and increased levels of graduation in the picture, than standard.

The standard levels of dynamic range for movies/TV were set a long time ago and are basically held back by what Cathode Ray TVs were capable of at the time, which is a long way below what film could capture and you got in theatres.

This means that you can have an image on screen of a character standing indoors in front of a window and you could capture the scene indoors without burning out the details through the window in the background, or vice versa. It's great for skyboxes.

You'll need an HDR supporting TV for it make any difference to you. 4K blu-rays include HDR, and some of the 4K content on Amazon and Netflix have HDR versions (but not all, I imagine almost everything going forward will do).

HDR generally also comes with an increased colour gamut to encompass more reds and greens.

It's unambiguously a good thing - it makes a lot more difference to picture quality to a casual observer than 4K does unless you have a reasonably large screen. Some purists don't like HDR remasters of existing films, but that debate happens with any restoration.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The only things I can think of is that Scorpio is going to be detailed and/or coming sooner than we think.......Or:

*crazy talk* Xbox One S has more power?

It was weird how Tom was basically saying to Arthur Gies that Scorpio at E3 was madness for Microsoft and then suddenly changed his stance and used the same language as Arthur (Microsoft will surprise a lot of people)

Or it's something completely different that hasn't leaked....

Unprecedented partnership

Xbox VR = Oculus Rift

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Fuck me.

Yes, it's real. Yes, it was the big surprise at E3 still.

Today fucking sucks. I was so excited to see you all see this stuff get revealed.

:(

What was the big surprise? FFXV at Microsofts conference? You have to be kidding.
All these leaks point to a boring as hell conference anyway.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Seriously?

I guess whatever gets you riled up in the morning but all that is just expected.

Now if FFXV was exclusive thats a whole different ball game but it won't be so whatevs.

I'm waiting for them to spoil Scorpio

Top Bottom