• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

Mindwipe

Not really.

DCI P3 is part of 'HDR' though, and supports more colours in the spectrum, than your average TV at home.

It's still not part of HDR, but they are very frequently bundled together (to the extent I've never seen a HDR display or file delivery that used HDR that didn't also include DCI P3, though I have seen the reverse).

(Edit: Also I don't think I've explicitly said it yet but if Microsoft is shipping the slim to play back UHD Blu-ray at $299 then fair play to them, that's great, and I think it'll sell really well. Bit of a bugger I paid £430 for a standalone player last week...)

THE:MILKMAN

Xbox One S, 40% smaller, 2TB, internal PSU etc.

Not according to Tom:

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 21h21 hours ago
24 hours until Microsoft's Xbox E3 event. I think it's gonna surprise a lot of people

David V ‏@The0DD1 16h16 hours ago
@tomwarren Was the Xbox One Slim that just leaked supposed to be the surprise, or is there something else?

Tom Warren
‏@tomwarren
@The0DD1 no, everyone knew the slim was coming

chittagong said:
Unprecedented partnership

Xbox VR = Oculus Rift

That would have leaked though, right? two companies to keep a secret under wraps? Crazy talk!

It does give me a wry smile when I see comments like this. What would a 2TB drive have done to the price tag of Xbox One at launch?

I didn't mean that 2TB drives needed to be standard at launch, rather that 500GB was inadequate and that a more common sense standard would have been 1TB. Given the cost differential between 500GB and 1TB drives in the retail channel hasn't been more than about $30 for the past 3-4 yrs I'm certain that 1TB drives purchased in high volume for a console release in 2012-13 wouldn't have cost more than an additional $15 or so per unit.

I realize every dollar counts when trying to justify design choices and projected profits to the bean counters and the CFO (especially with bloated cost of production due to forced Kinect). But that small cost differential is arguably insignificant when balanced against consumer experience/satisfaction. 500GB was simply inadequate even in 2013 and one didn't need to be Nostradamus to understand that with the install sizes of games increasing exponentially over last gen it was going to become a problem real quick for gamers who like to keep large game collections, especially with the gradual move to digital, formerly optional HDD installs becoming mandatory, and MS stubbornly (stupidly) making their drives non-replaceable.

At least Sony had the good sense to understand that if they were going to skimp on HDD size at launch, they should make it easy to replace 'em with larger capacity drives (external drives are fine for many, but not acceptable to many others). It's all water under the bridge now, but it was just one more thing MS did wrong with the Xbone launch that helped dig a huge hole they've been climbing out of ever since. A few bucks less profit per console while offering double the standard HDD size may have helped sway some people who went with PS4. Hard to say, but it couldn't have hurt to have at least one spec advantage and that would have been an easy one to implement.

Nintenleo

Wow, it looks gorgeous. I bought my One 1TB just two months ago and I have got no 4k/HDR Tv, but I really have to find a reason to buy it :D

Upinsmoke

I'm glad no scorpio announcement.

The slim looks nice but i only picked up a xb1 last Christmas time so i really cant get this one. Not with Neo, PSVR and the new Nvidia cards coming out,

Could trade in my old model maybe. Hope the controller is better, Normal XB1 controller is so bad and clicky shoulder buttons.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am sad that in the year of pretty much the entirety of the MS E3 presence being leaked, it wasn't due to the buttocks.

With all the X1 exclusives heading to PC and Scorpio not that far off this will be an easy pass for me. It's a very solid slim edition with a great price though, if true.

cakely

So, the Xbox One S is ... bigger than the PlayStation 4? Odd.

I do like the internal power supply and vertical stand. I'm guessing it's too much to hope for a swappable internal HD, though.

The thing is will be comptatible with Dolby Vision HDR, that is competing with HDR 10. LG and Vizio have Dolby Vision 4k tv but Sony and Samsung do not support Dolby Vision. Also Dolby Vision cannot be updated via firmware because it requires a Dolby Vision chip.

Kyoufu

Fuck me.

Yes, it's real. Yes, it was the big surprise at E3 still.

Today fucking sucks. I was so excited to see you all see this stuff get revealed.

:(

Can someone tell me what ETDP is referring to? Is he saying the Xbox One S was supposed to be the big surprise? Didn't that leak like a month ago at least?

StillEdge

Will the slim fix crushed blacks finally?

Edit: or for better wording is it possible this will fix the Xbox Ones crushed blacks problem.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The internal power supply is the biggest reveal here. They finally did it.

Maybe the reason for the huge PS4 numbers is Microsoft bought 10 million, managed to install Windows 10 on them and now sells them with a new plastic casing. ;)

Edit: or for better wording is it possible this will fix the Xbox Ones crushed blacks problem.

It won't, it's no problem. It's a decision not to use those upper and lower sixteen levels of white and black, if devs work with it there are no crushed blacks. If they use the full RGB scale games crush blacks (and whites).

Theonik

Looks unreasonable to me. Rotational hard drives suck nowadays, and their price reflects that.
Hard drives only really devalue as better hard drives come out and as a result smaller ones become cheaper to make. (more dense platters = less platters for the same capacity)

SSDs don't really match the capacity of the state of the art in HDDs.

Mindwipe

The thing is will be comptatible with Dolby Vision HDR, that is competing with HDR 10. LG and Vizio have Dolby Vision 4k tv but Sony and Samsung do not support Dolby Vision. Also Dolby Vision cannot be updated via firmware because it requires a Dolby Vision chip.

True, though you could embed chipset support in scilicon and disable it in order to avoid paying the license fee, just in case you change your mind later on. That's actually pretty common on ARM chipsets nowadays.

Khezu

That's pretty nice looking.

I don't play enough games to warrant owning every console this gen, but this is the first time I have even considered buying a One.

Theonik

That's a problem with crappy implementation on MS's side partially accounting for people misconfiguring their kit.

HDR in the context of UHD means brighter whites and darker blacks with more steps in between. Rec. 2020 colourspace also means a wider gamut of colour.
5CHYp4B.jpg
Rec. 709 is the colourspace used in HD, Rec. 2020 is the one used in UHD.
HDR dynamic range.

Top Bottom