• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

Ballistik

So fucking excited for the 500GB to release as I've got a 3TB external ready. Hurry up and give us the release date please!!!

Is that December 30th date on Amazon just a placeholder then? I pre-ordered one and it tells me I should be getting it first week of January.

Caayn

Is that December 30th date on Amazon just a placeholder then? I pre-ordered one and it tells me I should be getting it first week of January.
Placeholder most likely. No company is going to release a console at such a date.
I keep seeing "new streamlined controller" but haven't seen any image that looks different than the current controller or even says what's different. Do we know?
Apperently it has:
- Slightly tweaked sticks
- Textured grips
- Bluetooth support

Xbox said:
New Xbox Wireless Controller. We’ve enhanced comfort with a textured grip and introduced a sleek, streamlined design in white. Added Bluetooth radio gives you easy wireless connection to your Windows 10 PCs and tablets.2 The new Xbox Wireless Controller will be available worldwide starting in August for $59.99/49.99 pounds/59.99 euros.

//ARCANUM

I keep seeing "new streamlined controller" but haven't seen any image that looks different than the current controller or even says what's different. Do we know?

500GB and 1TB SKU are up on Amazon.

And the 2TB date just changed to the second of August. Only the 2TB SKU comes with a vertical stand.

The 500GB and 1TB SKUs are looking more and more like decorative items to keep the from pice low. Launch later, no vertical stand, wtf MS.

In for a 500gb. Thanks for the heads up about the Amazon listing. :)

muzzymate

Yup - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-s?xr=shellnav

Experience the enhanced comfort of the new Xbox Wireless Controller, featuring a sleeker, more streamlined design. Get up to twice the wireless range. Stay on target with textured grip. And with Bluetooth® technology, play your favorite games on Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and phones.

Chitown B

It works surprisingly well on the Kinect so I'm sure it'll be fine. With the Kinect, It sat on top of my TV stand in front of my TV, and it was able to control a DirecTV box that was below it inside the TV stand. No direct line of sight between the two but because it's blasting IR everywhere, it bounces off something and hits the DirecTV box. It also was able to control my receiver which was way off to the side of the TV in a different stand.

true but the Kinect is very large and more surface area. This little IR blaster seems minuscule and very directional.

Not sure what to do..really want the Scorpio obviously, but this one looks nice too..not sure if its worth spending the money to get the S system if in a year I will be getting another one..really dont need 3 XBOX ONES

I'm impressed they build in the power supply. How much more power efficent is this machine? And will it have low noise levels?

The cost of PS4s great price initially was that the build quality was not always fantastic across the board. The Headset and controller in particularly, but it was also way to loud and would get hot.

I'd like to see the PS4 revision also improve in these areas.

PSTwo was absolutely legendary. One of the best console revisions ever.

pstwo.jpg

Used it as a portable DVD player long after I stopped playing games on it!

Colbert

Banned
Saw some of the self made size comparisons of the Xbox One and the Xbox One S and thought it would be a good alternative to post the one that is presented on Amazon which makes it some kind of official :)

tuHuvxg.png

The_Lump

Banned
Saw some of the self made size comparisons of the Xbox One and the Xbox One S and thought it would be a good alternative to post the one that is presented on Amazon which makes it some kind of official :)

tuHuvxg.png

It's official in that it's an official image. But that's nowhere near accurate.

Firstly, we have a direct comparison in the OP which shows how inaccurate it is. Second, that image is nothing like 40% smaller in volume. It's neat marketing, but it's woefully inaccurate.

Still, XBOS looks plenty small enough for me so I'm happy.

rokkerkory

tuHuvxg.png

It is an exaggeration but yeah overall it's 40% smaller by volume

Dranakin

Have a PS4, was never on the Xbox platform (so I have never played their exclusives). Really want an UHD/4K blu ray player, so I'm wondering if I should get this or Neo.

PS4 + Xbox One S
or
PS4 + Neo

blinkz

I feel like the main selling point to me for this is basically the UHD drive that plays all my games. basically the same reason I got a ps3 at launch.

Don't get me wrong the PS3 was great for games but I already had a 360 which I loved but the cheapest blu ray player on the market made me want it.

So with kinect gone how are Xbox One S owners going to talk to Cortana? Or is that just quietly going to be ignored?

I was hoping they would include a stereo mic behind the front grille

kaskade

That is a sexy machine. Nice job MS. I'll probably end up getting one of those controllers for my PC though. Moving to Bluetooth was a nice move.

It will bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS, but not DTS-HD or Dolby True HD. If a player doesn't bitstream Dolby True HD then it doesn't support Atmos. It's the exact same situation with DTS HD and DTS X.

These have been standard options in most players for almost a decade now, they had better not overlook it again,
Oh shoot. Just cabled up an atmos install and assumef my xbox was good enough. Glad i saw this. Not glad about the extra expense coming my way for an oppo though

horkrux

I would really like to have an all-black version of that. Why did they choose white? Why only ever one color, Microsoft?? Learn from the ways of Sony. They offer more colors.. well.. sometimes anyway.

Hip Hop

I have to get me one of those new controllers. The customizable ones are a bit steep, and the color scheme I want is pretty much what's being packed in the new Xbox S.

Yoday

The fan looks to be the same size or slightly smaller, meaning it should be just as silent. This is great news. Also, ditching the Kinect port for a free USB adapter is smart. I love my Kinect for voice commands, but they shouldn't waste time on a port that a fraction if users will use.

Question though, what good is a built in IR blaster? Using the built in blaster assumes you don't have Kinect, but what is the blaster used for if you don't have a Kinect. Are people really going to leave a headset connect to their controller for on/off and volume commands? Using it for remotes defeats the purpose since a universal remote would just control all of your equipment anyway. I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something.

Qassim

what i find really interesting, is there is no proprietary kinect port... are they finally dumping kinect for good? i hope so :>

There'll be an adapter to plug it in via USB - but Kinect has been dead for a while now - before this.

Wouldn't the Xbox app be better?

Apps just aren't as convenient or quick as a standard remote yet. I can pick a remote up and it be ready to use *immediately* and I can operate it without looking at it. The Xbox app remote functionality is cool, but I couldn't use it for day to day regular use.

Top Bottom