• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4

Gears of War 4 employs a dynamic resolution system that tweaks the game's rendering resolution in both single-player and multiplayer to maintain its target frame rate in each mode (30 frames per second and 60 fps, respectively). According to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game.

Oh snap

TK-421

I, and many others, guessed there would have to be some improvements to support HDR and 4K output besides upgrading the HDMI chip. Nice to see that confirmed.

c0de

I, and many others, guessed there would have to be some improvements to support HDR and 4K output besides upgrading the HDMI chip. Nice to see that confirmed.

There are dedicated asics already that do that, no need to upgrade CPU or GPU for that.

I'm sure this has been said but it just hit me if this was the console they released in 13 with the OS it has now and none of the BS before launch it might of been a respectable console race right now

need a black one..

now i gotta decide whether to replace my current one with this and buy the Scorpio at full price or buy this at full price and use the old model to lower the price of the Scorpio...

Tntnico

Somebody can explain me what "HDR capabilities for both gaming and video" is ? I thought that HDR was already something in games and managed with software and not hardware ?

"We have to look at what the engine can do with the power that Scorpio has," said Fergusson. "Because we're mastering at 4K, it's not about assets or art. It's about getting the milliseconds down in terms of getting the game to 4K at 60 or 30 [fps] depending on single-player or multiplayer."

Woah. He's talking about Gears being 4K60? Seriously?

RoKKeR

So what's the word on the 500GB/1TB models coming later? Kind of strange how they are pushing the 2TB as "limited time" only. Do the others not also launch in August?

jelly

Woah. He's talking about Gears being 4K60? Seriously?

That would suck though, well not suck but Gears 4 at 4K as it is, what's the point, do something more with the power at 1080p/1440p. I know they said it's up to the devs but I can't imagine their own studios not doing 4K native so they'll basically piss away all that power. On the other hand that means nothing drastic in scale or features that an Xbox One can't do, only resolution.

shanew21

So what's the word on the 500GB/1TB models coming later? Kind of strange how they are pushing the 2TB as "limited time" only. Do the others not also launch in August?

This is my question as well. I preordered the 2TB version and 1TB version then I'm going to cancel if the 1TB is significantly later.

Arkanius

Guys this is totally expectable

Node shrinks always bring performance improvements, but for example for the X360 iterations, Microsoft simply locked the performance benefits of the newer revisions so they were all in par.

Since now they are going full iterative and trying to get all the perf they can get, they are simply allowing the devs to use the extra headroom.

If Dynamic Resolution is the norm, it will simply be used to stabilize instead of getting more effects in or creating a big divide.

Mindwipe

Somebody can explain me what "HDR capabilities for both gaming and video" is ? I thought that HDR was already something in games and managed with software and not hardware ?

No, generally speaking "HDR" in gaming was similar to photography - not high at all but just crushed dynamic range, because ultimately the screen that's showing it still had the same level of dynamic range in hardware as a 1980s CRT.

So HDR is fairly new to gaming and generally needs new hardware.

Swarming101

c0de

You need to upgrade both if you have both. If the GPU is in the CPU then obviously that solves the problem - it's about bus encryption.

That would mean that the bdp app in Xbox One S will be executed in the "game os" and not in the "other os", right?

Mindwipe

That would mean that the bdp app in Xbox One S will be executed in the "game os" and not in the "other os", right?

Not necessarily. The actual decryption will be done in a separate secure OS below the hypervisor on the chipset itself. Neither OS gets to see the video frames, really. The UI will probably be in the other OS, as MS built systems for them to talk to each other in Windows 8/10 (which is why the Netflix Windows 8 app got 1080p and Chrome for Windows didn't).

Is anyone else stoked at the fact that this thing will play 4k blu ray!. As it stands right now, a 4k blu ray player is well beyond the price of a 2 tb xbox one s.

I'm getting one for that simple fact.

Sweet. Thanks for the link.

Major Nelson with Geoff K. unboxing the Xbox One S. He even puts a gutted original XBO over the One S to show the size difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScbZ-YxYDi8

These look really awesome tbh. I love the color, and the size.I think making the 2TB a limited edition launch model is a mistake though. IMO rather keep it on the market for those who want it and don't want to opt for external storage for whatever reason. Personally if I had the choice I'd spring for a console with as big a hard drive as possible before going ahead and adding external storage.

enemy2k

packaging:
Ck3XTy_UYAEn9ab.jpg:large

sexy as fuck! I need that.

Bsigg12

Any word on the internal psu? Is it universal a-la ps4, or is it the standard 100V OR 220V?

I would assume it would be universal if they're going internal but that would be a could question to throw at Phil Spencer or Mike Ybarra on Twitter. I'm sure they would answer it.

madmackem

It seems Xbox is pushing the 2tb version and the smaller versions might come later as game in the uk don't have any information yet of the smaller hdd machines.

Top Bottom