• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

jbug617

Banned
Great deal on eBay. All for $329
CqtbdSkUsAAHlfO.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-...C-Syndicate-Fallout-4-Metal-Gear/302051863559

Credit to Wario
https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/768813454572478465

Moreche

I have an issue were the controller will not turn on the Xbox. I have to turn the Xbox on manually and the caroller then connects. I've tried re-syncing but no help.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have an issue were the controller will not turn on the Xbox. I have to turn the Xbox on manually and the caroller then connects. I've tried re-syncing but no help.

same here. I am hopeful this can be fixed with an update or something.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

There's also a 1TB Madden bundle with Witcher III Wild Hunt and Doom for $369.00FS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-...I-Wild-Hunt-/291855092741?hash=item43f3eb4c05

I'm probably going to go with the 500GB as I like its game selection better and portable HDDs are cheap.

DirtyLarry

same here. I am hopeful this can be fixed with an update or something.

I know this may be super obvious but have you connected the controller not just by syncing it but also by plugging it in with a USB cable itself?

Also just checking but did your controller's update right away? Mine did once I synced it, so just making sure you also got the firmware update for it.

Jamex RZ

Banned
HDR is a bit of a shit show in terms of standardization right now. All the studios are mastering the films different (to different brightness levels, brightness roll-offs, and on different mastering displays) and setting different metadata from title to title. Plus all of the TV manufacturers are doing their own thing in their HDR10 implementations.

And the calibration protocol for sets is essentially like weeks old.

Dolby Vision is probably the best right now since Dolby has more of a standardization, but that doesn't mean that it still can't get messed up my provider or TV. I know the Mad Max discrepancy has been discussed on AVS.

Just correcting it a bit. Is the other way around. FYI HDR10 is the facto standard for UHD blurays. All UHD blurays that have HDR are required and will have HDR10, there is no way around. So if your tv had HDR10 support, you'll be fine. Dolby vision is a nice optional extra for UHD mastering studios. The situation is kinda of like Dolby digital and DTS in the DVD era. DD was the facto standard for al DVD's. DTS a nice superior optional extra.

Also, I get what you say for the Mad max Vudu vs disc example. That's not because "each manufacturer/brand using their own HDR10 standard". It's because Vudu has an exclusive with Dolby vision, so the downloaded/streamed version from the is Dolby vision and more that likely the disc is HDR10. So that's why they look different.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
E
Just correcting it a bit. Is the other way around. FYI HDR10 is the facto standard for UHD blurays. All UHD blurays that have HDR are required and will have HDR10, there is no way around. So if your tv had HDR10 support, you'll be fine. Dolby vision is a nice optional extra for UHD mastering studios. The situation is kinda of like Dolby digital and DTS in the DVD era. DD was the facto standard for al DVD's. DTS a nice superior optional extra.

yeah, thanks for the clarification.

I more meant picture quality wise, Dolby Vision is the stronger option because it's controlled, with a single mastering display, and specific hardware determining the correct roll-off for each set it's being displayed on.

HDR10 is the fucking wild west, and while it's more adopted at this point, the results of different discs, players, and TVs, are all wildly different.

So Dolby Vision is the stronger STANDARD, at the moment. Though HDR10 certainly has more support (UHD discs in particular... streaming services seem to be supporting DV a bit [Vudu exclusively using DV], especially Netflix, but we'll see when Netflix/Amazon get their next wave of HDR up). And of course, Dolby Vision is proprietary vs HDR10, which would slow it's adoption, especially for hardware that requires the chipset.

Jamex RZ

Banned
yeah, thanks for the clarification.

I more meant picture quality wise, Dolby Vision is the stronger option because it's controlled, with a single mastering display, and specific hardware determining the correct roll-off for each set it's being displayed on.

HDR10 is the fucking wild west, and while it's more adopted at this point, the results of different discs, players, and TVs, are all wildly different.

So Dolby Vision is the stronger STANDARD, at the moment. Though HDR10 certainly has more support (UHD discs in particular... streaming services seem to be supporting DV a bit [Vudu exclusively using DV], especially Netflix, but we'll see when Netflix/Amazon get their next wave of HDR up). And of course, Dolby Vision is proprietary vs HDR10, which would slow it's adoption, especially for hardware that requires the chipset.

No prob. I got what you said, and true since DV requires hardware. At least we can always calibrate our TV's in HDR mode for good pic quality. Nothing a good calibration can't solve.

By the way, you guys should play LG's chess HDR demo video. It's fantastic little showpiece for your displays. Showed to a friend and made me accompany him to best buy and he pulled the trigger on one lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
No prob. I got what you said, and true since DV requires hardware. At least we can always calibrate our TV's in HDR mode for good pic quality. Nothing a good calibration can't solve.

kinda on the calibration front.

the issue is all the discs/streams/content are doing different things, and so in theory if the content was correctly mastered with a properly calibrated HDR display, you'll be fine, but if the content isn't mastered correctly to match up to your display, you get issues.

Essentially -- all the HDR content is mastered beyond the full capability of your display (both in color range and peak brightness), and the mapping from that HDR content to the individual displays is the issue at hand. The content itself has to provide some of that metadata to the display about what to do, and of course the display itself needs to have a way to handle it.

Dolby Vision handles all of this, which is why it's much more plug and play, whereas HDR10 is kind of off on an island and some studios have botched it so far.

I'd imagine this will all be corrected over time, but it's where we are at the moment and why the HDR10 results are so widely different based on playback device and playback display.

Jamex RZ

Banned
kinda on the calibration front.

the issue is all the discs/streams/content are doing different things, and so in theory if the content was correctly mastered with a properly calibrated HDR display, you'll be fine, but if the content isn't mastered correctly to match up to your display, you get issues.

Essentially -- all the HDR content is mastered beyond the full capability of your display (both in color range and peak brightness), and the mapping from that HDR content to the individual displays is the issue at hand. The content itself has to provide some of that metadata to the display about what to do, and of course the display itself needs to have a way to handle it.

Dolby Vision handles all of this, which is why it's much more plug and play, whereas HDR10 is kind of off on an island and some studios have botched it so far.

I'd imagine this will all be corrected over time, but it's where we are at the moment and why the HDR10 results are so widely different based on playback device and playback display.

Hopefully they'll get their stuff together then. I was about to pull the trigger on a Samsung k8500 UHD player but since the one s is cheaper I'm getting one for the added gaming. Only pro of the Sammy is it has an extra HDMI audio out for older non 4k audio receivers like mine. Does the one have an optical out and can input audio via it while video on HDMI? (arc in my case won't work as my tv converts everything to some faux DTS neo or something).

Blah GameStop stopped put an end to using credit for eBay gift cards

Had $300 in credit ready to buy an eBay card and then buy that halo bundle with 3 games :(

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well i sold my xbox one first gen to my brother for $200 and got 10% off of the Xbox One S, so it ended up costing me $80 out of pocket. So, 80 for an ultra hd blu ray player is good, right?
Then why are you having remorse?!?

Just sleep on it a few nights. I find I have remorse for 50% of the gaming things I buy right after I buy them, but after a night's sleep it's gone. Just psychological I guess.

gamz

Just sleep on it a few nights. I find I have remorse for 50% of the gaming things I buy right after I buy them, but after a night's sleep it's gone. Just psychological I guess.

Seriously. 80 bucks! What remorse?!?!?!

Recreat3

I do the same with any purchase over about 200aud. Bought some bose headphones for 399aud and for the next few days i wanted to return them...but then i realized i really like them and its just money. Human nature i suppose

Follow up to my dad's issues with HDR. He got his replacement today and it works, but it keeps having issues reading discs. We've tried a few different 4k discs, one worked fine immediately, we had to close the app on two others and they worked on retry, another one just fucked the whole system and we had to unplug it. Thinking he is having some bad luck.

Anyone have any issues with their speeds on the Xbox One S?

Speedtest on everything in the home is around 90mbps down and 15 up. Yet with the system I'm getting around 5down/9up..

..and this is a wired connection.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Anyone have any issues with their speeds on the Xbox One S?

Speedtest on everything in the home is around 90mbps down and 15 up. Yet with the system I'm getting around 5down/9up..

..and this is a wired connection.

Restart it through the sidebar menu.
I've had this a couple times. I think it's something wonky with the software and power save mode (instant on).

Weevilone

Follow up to my dad's issues with HDR. He got his replacement today and it works, but it keeps having issues reading discs. We've tried a few different 4k discs, one worked fine immediately, we had to close the app on two others and they worked on retry, another one just fucked the whole system and we had to unplug it. Thinking he is having some bad luck.

They've announced that they are aware of issues with UHD disk playback and that people should hold tight for software fixes. Maybe this is that?

Installation stopped for Halo 5 at 86.52GB of 87.06GB. Only option I was receiving was to uninstall the game.

Luckily I had to remembered I took the disc out to start installing Halo MCC and now we're good boys. Close call lol

After a couple days with the xbox one, it feels very clunky. OS is slow and not responsive at times. Has it always been like this? Or is it because of the Windows 10 update?

Well i sold my xbox one first gen to my brother for $200 and got 10% off of the Xbox One S, so it ended up costing me $80 out of pocket. So, 80 for an ultra hd blu ray player is good, right?

I think so... that's what I bought it for. I honestly don't plan on buying any new games for it other than the Destiny RoI. I'll be playing all future first party exclusives on PC, so no need for Scorpio here.

Does anyone know of anywhere online or in stores that sells 4k blu rays for less than 29.99?

What movies are you looking for? Use the price tracker @ Blu-Ray.com

Installation stopped for Halo 5 at 86.52GB of 87.06GB. Only option I was receiving was to uninstall the game.

Luckily I had to remembered I took the disc out to start installing Halo MCC and now we're good boys. Close call lol

After a couple days with the xbox one, it feels very clunky. OS is slow and not responsive at times. Has it always been like this? Or is it because of the Windows 10 update?

It was worse, if you can believe that

Well, I pushed past my OCD and set it up tonight. It's nice to not have to worry about doing so now, and things went well.

I updated and tested out the controller a bit. Everything seems great, thankfully, except there's a light scratch and a few marks on the backside of the controller. The scratch and one mark (like a 2mm long brown speck, if that) are by the battery compartment, and then there are a couple of other brown dots on the bottom left part of the grips.

It bugs me and won't come off, but it's only something I know about and nothing easy to spot if you just look at the controller. At first, I wanted to try to return it, but I'm telling myself it's not necessary.

I also keep wanting to buy another to keep perfect, but I know that's dumb too.

The_Kid

Well, I pushed past my OCD and set it up tonight. It's nice to not have to worry about doing so now, and things went well.

I updated and tested out the controller a bit. Everything seems great, thankfully, except there's a light scratch and a few marks on the backside of the controller. The scratch and one mark (like a 2mm long brown speck, if that) are by the battery compartment, and then there are a couple of other brown dots on the bottom left part of the grips.

It bugs me and won't come off, but it's only something I know about and nothing easy to spot if you just look at the controller. At first, I wanted to try to return it, but I'm telling myself it's not necessary.

I also keep wanting to buy another to keep perfect, but I know that's dumb too.

Heh. I totally get ya, had the same problem with a small scratch on my new phone (not the buying to keep a new one but returning), but it's easier to tell yourself that in like 2 months it'll look more used anyways.

pieface

So I've got two Xbones in my flat, and I've just bought a 65" 4K TV.... do I or don't I purchase the S?

Considering my TV has Netflix and YouTube 4k built in, is it worth upgrading in your opinion?

Kinda swaying towards waiting for Scorpio.

Ushay

So I've got two Xbones in my flat, and I've just bought a 65" 4K TV.... do I or don't I purchase the S?

Considering my TV has Netflix and YouTube 4k built in, is it worth upgrading in your opinion?

I'd wait for Scorpio. Getting an S is overkill, if you really want it trade in one of the current consoles.

Bessy67

If you want a 4K blu ray player then I'd say trade in one of your other consoles and go for it. If you don't care about 4K blu rays then yeah, not too much point in upgrading.

Heh. I totally get ya, had the same problem with a small scratch on my new phone (not the buying to keep a new one but returning), but it's easier to tell yourself that in like 2 months it'll look more used anyways.

Yeah, I'm trying to tell myself that. It's not bugging me as much, but I'm still thinking about it...not that I want to.

I keep my stuff looking new, even a year later, but ah well. It's barely noticeable and I'll be buying other controllers.

pieface

If you want a 4K blu ray player then I'd say trade in one of your other consoles and go for it. If you don't care about 4K blu rays then yeah, not too much point in upgrading.

Yeah not bothered about 4k blu-rays at the minute so will wait it out for Scorpio! Ta

The black out when switching between different resolution playback is odd....

Lol I hope this is fixed in a future update!

I want to say that's the TV doing that. Mine is minimal and understandable especially when the UHD blu ray player goes into use. My tv does it also with my amazon fire tv when watching 4k youtube and prime shows so I don't think it's the xbox completely.

Tbh searching for a UHD tv right now and it really is a shitfest. How can companies have so many different standards and stuff you need to keep in mind? And this is coming from someone who works with computers every single day. How can the average consumer understand all of this. Let alone I can imagine they come to their local shop bought a Xbox One and are asking for a fitting UHD tv.

What a mess..

I want to say that's the TV doing that. Mine is minimal and understandable especially when the UHD blu ray player goes into use. My tv does it also with my amazon fire tv when watching 4k youtube and prime shows so I don't think it's the xbox completely.

We'll the og xbox one didn't do this at all. It does it now when I play a dvd/bluray/4kbluray/or press menu on the avr setup overlay sreen.

Plus other ppl are experiencing the same so yeah.

Your thought on the controller?
I know you have an Elite, but Im to poor to buy one lol
Its alright..lighter than the lunar. But the grips on the lunar felt better. It's just some raised little bumps now.

Sticks/triggers felt good. I like the overall look and feel. I only played Titan fall 2 with it so I can't give good enough feedback about the bumpers, sticks and buttons atm.. sorry!

Top Bottom