• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

pieface

Tbh searching for a UHD tv right now and it really is a shitfest. How can companies have so many different standards and stuff you need to keep in mind? And this is coming from someone who works with computers every single day. How can the average consumer understand all of this. Let alone I can imagine they come to their local shop bought a Xbox One and are asking for a fitting UHD tv.

What a mess..

Dunno, what you're after basically is a 4KTV which supports HDR.

Then it depends on price range, if you have the money to go for a top-tier TV you want a OLED (LG), ULED (Hisense) or SUHD (Samsung) ..... (Sony and others may have an equivalent but i'm not sure what they are), if you don't have the money for a "high spec" TV, then just make sure you get 4k and HDR.

Obviously, for gaming, it's worth looking at latency.

Akoi

what's better to get , the 500Gb with an external 2Tb drive or the 2Tb model?

I'm playing around with the idea of buying one of these, IDK why I have the itch. I own a ps3, ps4 360, and a really good PC.

Dunno, what you're after basically is a 4KTV which supports HDR.

Then it depends on price range, if you have the money to go for a top-tier TV you want a OLED (LG), ULED (Hisense) or SUHD (Samsung) ..... (Sony and others may have an equivalent but i'm not sure what they are), if you don't have the money for a "high spec" TV, then just make sure you get 4k and HDR.

Obviously, for gaming, it's worth looking at latency.
Well you do need hdr10 from those tvs and what you also want from what I am understanding is at the least HDMI 2.0 but to be future proof you would want HDMI 2.0a.

At my stores every 4K tv is listed at just that. 4k. Not the HDR specs nog the highest HDMI port etc.

But as far as research goes I think you can't get a good 4K tv with those things in mind

Sounder2

Is anyone having trouble with their chat headset? Mine doesnt work in the new controller but it still works in my old controllers.

Best Buy has a 50% in store trade in bonus on game trade ins right now so i got $15 for Halo 5 and $30 for uncharted 4. I picked up Batman V Superman and Mad Max Fury Road UHD blu-rays.

I almost bought another controller at Walmart, but they put those really tight security ropes/IR transmitters around the boxes and I hate that.

ghibli99

Well, I pushed past my OCD and set it up tonight. It's nice to not have to worry about doing so now, and things went well.

I updated and tested out the controller a bit. Everything seems great, thankfully, except there's a light scratch and a few marks on the backside of the controller. The scratch and one mark (like a 2mm long brown speck, if that) are by the battery compartment, and then there are a couple of other brown dots on the bottom left part of the grips.

It bugs me and won't come off, but it's only something I know about and nothing easy to spot if you just look at the controller. At first, I wanted to try to return it, but I'm telling myself it's not necessary.

I also keep wanting to buy another to keep perfect, but I know that's dumb too.
I know that feel, man. I don't know when it was, but I got over this at some point in the last 5 years. I don't even keep my console boxes anymore.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Can anyone with Witcher 3 tell me if the console version has an option for toggling on sharpening (I know it exists on PC)? The sharpening in Deus Ex: MD makes this 900p look so damn clear it's insane. I'd rather put up with the downsides of sharpening than downsides of 900p which is a blurrier image.

Can anyone with Witcher 3 tell me if the console version has an option for toggling on sharpening (I know it exists on PC)? The sharpening in Deus Ex: MD makes this 900p look so damn clear it's insane. I'd rather put up with the downsides of sharpening than downsides of 900p which is a blurrier image.

You could always just turn up the sharpness setting on your television.

ZOONAMI

Why is the Amazon app complete garbag and still hhs no 4k on Xbox? Does Vudu have 4k yet on the bone? Haven't checked lately.

Bessy67

Still can't get the chatpad to work with the new controller. It's weird because I have the stereo headset adapter and that works just fine, and my chatpad works just fine on my other controllers. I did a chat with support the other day too and they didn't seem to know what was wrong. I bought the console at Best Buy, can I just take the controller back say it's defective and get a new one or would I have to actually exchange the entire console?

Gitaroo

Can some one with the halo bundle check something for me? I haven't open mine but does the halo 2 case says not for resale at the back? I thinking about trading it in at bestbuy but they freak out whenever they see a not for resale stamp at the back of LE cases.

thatJohann

Caved in and got the 500GB Xbox One S bundle with Doom. What. A. Beauty.

Too bad my first impressions are not good. After what seemed like 45 minutes updating console and controller, I popped in Halo 5 disc. After installing game for about another 45 minutes, got prompted for a 42GB(!) Halo update so that would take over an hour easily to download. And now I have to leave for a weekend trip. So much for playing! Guess I'll play Monday. :(

Can some one with the halo bundle check something for me? I haven't open mine but does the halo 2 case says not for resale at the back? I thinking about trading it in at bestbuy but they freak out whenever they see a not for resale stamp at the back of LE cases.

Halo Master Chief Collection is a code and Halo 5 a retail disc. They put a do not sell sticker on the outside plastic of Halo 5. Underneath it is a regular barcode.

Gitaroo

Halo Master Chief Collection is a code and Halo 5 a retail disc. They put a do not sell sticker on the outside plastic of Halo 5. Underneath it is a regular barcode.

Thank! Time to unbox this sucker! Reason why I was waiting because I hope that they will announce a forza horizon 3 bundle. Still sucks if they do next month but since bestbuy canada offers 20 for h5 I guess it just suck a little less....

kaioshade

This console is slick as hell. Unfortunately I'm running into random controller disconnects and crashes with this console. I was playing warframe on it to test out, then the controller disconnected then the console shut off. Hopefully I don't have a dud.

I believe witcher 3 doesn't have a sharpening option on console.

I sold my day one xbone and I'm considering getting an S now. I just built a new pc, but I'm realizing I feel lost without a console lol. Also can justify it because of the 4k support.

Should really just wait for scorpio though. ..

I had a bit of a concern. When the xbox one s scanned my tv, it said "Your TV cannot do 10 bit 4k at 60HZ but you can still upscale to 4k". Will this affect Neo or Scorpio? Apprently my TV does 8 bit 4k? Its a vizio m series 43 inch.

I believe witcher 3 doesn't have a sharpening option on console.

I sold my day one xbone and I'm considering getting an S now. I just built a new pc, but I'm realizing I feel lost without a console lol. Also can justify it because of the 4k support.

Should really just wait for scorpio though. ..

If you have a good gaming pc thenget the S. No point in paying more for Scorpio. What gpu do you have?

Gitaroo

hi, is there a special setting or something that I am missing because my netflix refuse to play beyond 480. My tv and receiver have hdmi 2.0 +hdcp 2.2 on all port. PS4 kicks in to 1080p in a few seconds, I have 25mb/s internet but even if this is too slow for 4k, it should atleast play in 1080p. Shows I tested were marco polo, stranger thing and daredevil.

If you have a good gaming pc thenget the S. No point in paying more for Scorpio. What gpu do you have?

I have a 1070.

My thought process was that I will play all upcoming exclusives on PC and won't touch my xbone anyway. So I sold it away. Scorpio I might actually play some games on if they perform well enough.

I'm realizing though that I did a lot with my consoles outside of gaming (netflix, amazon, etc), and it sucks not having them.

njean777

what's better to get , the 500Gb with an external 2Tb drive or the 2Tb model?

I'm playing around with the idea of buying one of these, IDK why I have the itch. I own a ps3, ps4 360, and a really good PC.

Honeslty if you have all of those go for the 500gb and if you play it enough just get an external HD. I only play games on my Xbox so I went for the 2tb, but seeing as you have all the things listed I would just get the cheapest one and go from there.going to warn you though some games can get into the 80gb range with patches and everything.

I have a 1070.

My thought process was that I will play all upcoming exclusives on PC and won't touch my xbone anyway. So I sold it away. Scorpio I might actually play some games on if they perform well enough.

I'm realizing though that I did a lot with my consoles outside of gaming (netflix, amazon, etc), and it sucks not having them.

I have a gaming PC w/1070 and 4790k and PS4, but I just bought the 1tb S for exclusives and the real deciding factor was the UHD 4K BD player. I have a 4K tv from 1.5 yrs ago but it's not HDR but the 4K bds still look great on here. After some of the W10 issues with games I don't trust MSFT to deliver on PC and I really want to play FH3 and Gears 4 without PC issues day 1. They'll probably come with cross play codes so down the road when the PC versions are stable I can go back and play them.

Noobcraft

^FH3, Gears 4, etc. are play anywhere titles, so if you own them digitally they available on both PC and XB1. They're tied to your XBL account.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Got my 500GB S in the mail today and am currently setting it up. All these patches are going to suck on a 1Mb/s connection, but it is what it is. I have a question about the sounds the system makes though. I know it's supposed to be a relatively quiet console compared to some others, and so far it is, but it makes this sort of constant quiet fluttery noise (best I can describe it) that I don't usually hear in other consoles. I'm used to just hearing a steady fan noise or something similar. Is it the same for everyone else?

I have a gaming PC w/1070 and 4790k and PS4, but I just bought the 1tb S for exclusives and the real deciding factor was the UHD 4K BD player. I have a 4K tv from 1.5 yrs ago but it's not HDR but the 4K bds still look great on here. After some of the W10 issues with games I don't trust MSFT to deliver on PC and I really want to play FH3 and Gears 4 without PC issues day 1. They'll probably come with cross play codes so down the road when the PC versions are stable I can go back and play them.

That part is very convincing. I can't imagine having to wait on patches for either of those games...

I might just order one. Worst case I can sell it next year before scorpio.

EvB

There won't be codes, you have to buy the games digitally

Does the S upscale 360 games? I have a Vizio P series and it's supposed to have poor upscaling but I've been playing Xcom through BC and it looks great.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still wondering about my fan noise question above, but also wonder what everyone uses as their controller battery solution. I remember when the PS3 first came out with its integrated controller batteries I initially thought it was a terrible idea and that the batteries would eventually completely die, but I've never had a problem with that. I found it to be more of a pain to keep charging batteries for my Wii controllers. Now I've got my first Xbox and I don't know what to use for batteries.

I know the main options are a play and charge kit, a charger/cradle with battery packs, or stand-alone rechargeable batteries. I'd prefer not to spend an exorbitant amount. I see some of the Best Buy branded battery packs with a charger for less than $20 on eBay, or a single play and charge kit for $15.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Still wondering about my fan noise question above, but also wonder what everyone uses as their controller battery solution. I remember when the PS3 first came out with its integrated controller batteries I initially thought it was a terrible idea and that the batteries would eventually completely die, but I've never had a problem with that. I found it to be more of a pain to keep charging batteries for my Wii controllers. Now I've got my first Xbox and I don't know what to use for batteries.

I know the main options are a play and charge kit, a charger/cradle with battery packs, or stand-alone rechargeable batteries. I'd prefer not to spend an exorbitant amount. I see some of the Best Buy branded battery packs with a charger for less than $20 on eBay, or a single play and charge kit for $15.

I use eneloop rechargeable batteries. Best battery investment ever. The batteries last way longer than an internal battery and I prefer this solution.

I have 4 constantly charged at all times that I can rotate to my various devices.

Wil348

Hey BoneGAF, I might be getting an S for Christmas and need some advice on something. I already own a PS4 and will continue to buy third party titles there, so I'm really getting this thing for exclusives and backwards compatibility. The thing is, even in my 360 days, the only Xbox exclusive that I had interest in was Halo. I was younger with narrow tastes and ignorant to trying new things though. I've really thought about what games would make me feel justified in getting another console, and so far I've come up with:

Halo 5 I've actually played this at my sister's house and I really like what I played.
Halo MCC I'm aware that it's still broken but I've never played Halo 2 and really want to.
Sunset Overdrive Also played this at my sister's, loved what I played.
Forza Horizon 2 I've heard really good things about this. I love just driving around in games like GTA so if I can do this here as well as race then sweet.
Forza Horizon 3 See above
Forza Motorsport 6 Just so I can have a basic racer really.
Sea Of Thieves Rare. Pirates. Shared-works multiplayer. Want.
Ori and the Blind Forest This always stood out to me as an interesting and unique part of MS' lineup, and because of that, I feel like I'm being called to it.
Dead Rising 3 I like the idea of open world zombie games (Dying Light was one of my favourite games of 2015), and this looks like quite a bit of fun. Being able to improvise your own weapons seems like a really fun idea.
Gears Of War (not any specific one) Basically a friend scolded me for never playing a Gears game before and now I feel the need to try one.

Do you guys think that is enough to warrant getting an Xbone in the near future? This only includes games that are either already out or are coming out in the near future, and I'm thinking about Crackdown 3 and ReCore. I'll get Gold as well so I guess I can expect a good lineup of freebies as well as being able to play my 360 games without having to pry the tray of my broken 360 open to put a game in.

Also, does anyone know if the Halo bundle is coming to Europe or if there will be a 500GB Forza Horizon 3 bundle?

Hey BoneGAF, I might be getting an S for Christmas and need some advice on something. I already own a PS4 and will continue to buy third party titles there, so I'm really getting this thing for exclusives and backwards compatibility. The thing is, even in my 360 days, the only Xbox exclusive that I had interest in was Halo. I was younger with narrow tastes and ignorant to trying new things though. I've really thought about what games would make me feel justified in getting another console, and so far I've come up with:

Halo 5 I've actually played this at my sister's house and I really like what I played.
Halo MCC I'm aware that it's still broken but I've never played Halo 2 and really want to.
Sunset Overdrive Also played this at my sister's, loved what I played.
Forza Horizon 2 I've heard really good things about this. I love just driving around in games like GTA so if I can do this here as well as race then sweet.
Forza Horizon 3 See above
Forza Motorsport 6 Just so I can have a basic racer really.
Sea Of Thieves Rare. Pirates. Shared-works multiplayer. Want.
Ori and the Blind Forest This always stood out to me as an interesting and unique part of MS' lineup, and because of that, I feel like I'm being called to it.
Dead Rising 3 I like the idea of open world zombie games (Dying Light was one of my favourite games of 2015), and this looks like quite a bit of fun. Being able to improvise your own weapons seems like a really fun idea.
Gears Of War (not any specific one) Basically a friend scolded me for never playing a Gears game before and now I feel the need to try one.

Do you guys think that is enough to warrant getting an Xbone in the near future? This only includes games that are either already out or are coming out in the near future, and I'm thinking about Crackdown 3 and ReCore. I'll get Gold as well so I guess I can expect a good lineup of freebies as well as being able to play my 360 games without having to pry the tray of my broken 360 open to put a game in.

Also, does anyone know if the Halo bundle is coming to Europe or if there will be a 500GB Forza Horizon 3 bundle?

Yeah, that totally warrants buying the system. Don't forget Rare Replay.

Top Bottom