• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

RoKKeR

So I'm pretty sure my One S has gotten... quieter? I had the fan clicking/ticking noise about a week or so ago, but now I just hear a gentle whir and only a subtle, quiet fan noise. Very strange, but it works for me!

Pls recommend me some games for my gf gaf!

Ori and the Blind Forest and Inside.

This S goes through the same installing -> queued -> installing -> queued bullshit that my launch XBone prevented me from playing the Titanfall 2 beta.

Fucking wonderful. And this is with a disc, not a download.

LOUD915

Damn sexy console. Just bought one myself to save room. No power brick and the smaller size make it so much better looking in my entertainment center.

DirtyLarry

Okay, fingers truly fucking crossed here, but it appears as if my replacement TV no longer has the blackout issue. As I said, fingers crossed, but right now, and it has been about an hour, I have not seen the issue and have had 4k enabled on both my Roku 4 and One S (of course).

Two things to note...
1) The HDMI 5 port on this TV is way more "snug" than my previous model. The cable fits real tight. On my previous TV, from the very beginning, it obviously fit and went in, but it never fit like this.

2) The firmware version on this new replacement is different from my previous TV. Was my previous TV never updating its firmware even though it claimed to be? I do not know, but here is the info from original set to the newer set.

Original
Version 1.3.15-UHD
FRC Version 9.406

New TV
Version 1.3.26-UHD
FRC Version 9.415

Was that all it was? And if so, why was my previous TV not installing the firmware updates? I also have to admit, I have no idea what FRC is or means, Googling it looks like it may be Frame Rate Converter?? If so I would definitely imagine having a newer version of it could be a factor as well.

Whatever it may be, I am really happy. No HDR for me, but I finally get to experience 4K with no issues. Again, fingers crossed it stays this way.

Adam M

Also, does anyone know if the Halo bundle is coming to Europe or if there will be a 500GB Forza Horizon 3 bundle?

I still waiting for that Halo bundle, I don't understand why we don't have this bundle here in Europe. Maybe Halo sales numbers are bad here, who knows....

I still waiting for that Halo bundle, I don't understand why we don't have this bundle here in Europe. Maybe Halo sales numbers are bad here, who knows....
It's incredibly dumb that you can't go out and buy an Xbox One S right now because the only bundle available is the FIFA 17 one which doesn't come out for another three weeks...

Got one of these yesterday. I'm enjoying it but for some reason notifications don't work at all. I don't receive anything telling me I got an achievement, a message, a party invite, etc. Starting to get a little frustrated after trying every fix I could find online.

Krakn3Dfx

Grabbed an S today since Microcenter has then for $50 off the MSRP, couldn't say no to $250 for the Halo bundle. Very nice little case, took me a bit to get 4k working properly on my TCL 4k Roku, finally realized that the HDMI ports on the TV are set to 1.4 by default for some reason, bumped them up to 2.0, now everything is good except HDR, which the TV doesn't support, but I knew that going on. Selling my OG XB1 to a friend of a friend for $150, so $100 for the smaller box w/ the build in PSU and 4K UHD BD support as well as 4K upscaling it totally worth it to me.

.la1n

Man Xbox One is still having the resume from sleep strict NAT problem? It's annoying, I thought they would have fixed it by now. Also my downloads are not being kicked off remotely. I selected BF1 while at work, get home and it's in the waiting to be installed (download) section, instead of already being downloaded?

I used to always have that issue but since upgrading my wireless router I have never had the problem again.

mozfan12

Banned
So after a couple of days with the S, I'm really happy with the upgrade. I hope the days of the power brick are done for and that Scorpio keeps the same size. In this case less is definitely more.

I also agree with the sluggishness of the OS, I've spent the last couple of days downloading my games to the system and its been hell going through the wonky ass OS when I have installation problems or app/game doesn't want to open. It's the same problem they had with the 360 when it became a bloated mess. I wish they would prioritize snappyness over having a ton of features, some that are hardly if ever used. The One is my main console and I like how they are constantly adding but I do think they need to speed up the OS.

Bsigg12

Isn't the UI really fast when youre offline? I think it has to do with how they pull information for things like friends and such as to why it takes a few seconds for things to go.

Just picked up the Xbox One S Halo bundle today and it's updating right now. I have a 2TB Western Digital My Passport Ultra to store my games in and a 27" LG 4K IPS panel to play on. This is my first time jumping in to the Xbox One ecosystem, so I'm excited to try out a few games. I don't think I'll be keeping the Master Chief Collection, so I'll probably sell the code for that. I've got Halo 5: Guardians and Titanfall to play at the moment - any other recommendations?

As for the console and the controller, they're damn sexy. I like how compact and small the Xbox One S, plus no power brick is a huge plus. Wireless A/C support on the console is perfect for my home network situation, so I'll get pretty good download/upload speed. And the controllers are still using AA batteries these days? Oh well, that's what Eneloops are for!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just picked up the Xbox One S Halo bundle today and it's updating right now. I have a 2TB Western Digital My Passport Ultra to store my games in and a 27" LG 4K IPS panel to play on. This is my first time jumping in to the Xbox One ecosystem, so I'm excited to try out a few games. I don't think I'll be keeping the Master Chief Collection, so I'll probably sell the code for that. I've got Halo 5: Guardians and Titanfall to play at the moment - any other recommendations?

As for the console and the controller, they're damn sexy. I like how compact and small the Xbox One S, plus no power brick is a huge plus. Wireless A/C support on the console is perfect for my home network situation, so I'll get pretty good download/upload speed. And the controllers are still using AA batteries these days? Oh well, that's what Eneloops are for!
Wh wh wh why would you sell MCC? You gotta play Halo 3 man, it's absolutely glorious and a must have game. And the collection is going for like $9 on CDKeys so you won't be able to sell it for any higher than that.
Please play Halo 3, you're missing out on one of the best games of all time.

Wh wh wh why would you sell MCC? You gotta play Halo 3 man, it's absolutely glorious and a must have game. And the collection is going for like $9 on CDKeys so you won't be able to sell it for any higher than that.
Please play Halo 3, you're missing out on one of the best games of all time.

I should've noted that I've played all of the Halo titles already, minus 5 :p

Also, does the MCC still have issues? I know there was a big stink about its performance for a while.

EmiPrime

I should've noted that I've played all of the Halo titles already, minus 5 :p

Also, does the MCC still have issues? I know there was a big stink about its performance for a while.

It's okay for single player and it's definitely worth keeping for Halo 2 Anniversary. You'll probably want to stick to Halo 5 for MP anyway so MCC's online niggles won't bother you as much. I bought it last month on cdkeys.com and don't regret it at all.

At worst you'll be out what, $5(?) you could have sold the key for so it's well worth a punt.

rokkerkory

Life is Strange.

Ori and the Blind Forest and Inside.

Titanfall is a must.

She must play

doom

Gta V. As violent and crude as it is I find a lot of girls like the gta series.

Try EarthLock since it's free. Maybe beyond good and evil

All of the above plus Sunset Overdrive or Rocket League.

HAHA you guys are funny, not sure if serious. My gf cannot handle FPS, I barely can anymore.

Will check the other suggestions though!

Rare Replay, Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, D4, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 2. Or wait for Horizon 3 that comes out later this month. Maybe ReCore?

krang

Man Xbox One is still having the resume from sleep strict NAT problem? It's annoying, I thought they would have fixed it by now. Also my downloads are not being kicked off remotely. I selected BF1 while at work, get home and it's in the waiting to be installed (download) section, instead of already being downloaded?

Has it been set to your home console?

EmiPrime

I've got Halo 5: Guardians and Titanfall to play at the moment - any other recommendations?

Sunset Overdrive is a must. It's like a glorious Ratchet & Clank, Infamous and Jet Set Radio mashup.

Rare Replay if you like Rare's games from before the Kinect vampire sucked them dry.

Forza Horizon is on Xbox 360 GWG this month. If you like it there's the other two games in the series on Xbox One (3 comes out later this month). 2 has a demo and 3 will have a demo before it comes out. I don't even like GT/Forza but I enjoy Horizon.

There's a Dead Rising 3 demo on the store. I hated it but it's a generous enough demo to make up your own mind.

Killer Instinct is a fantastic fighter. The definitive edition with all the DLC comes out this month. In the meantime you can try out the free to play version to whet your appetite.

SCB3

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy one of the following:

• A New 3DSXL (never had a 3DS other than the launch one that is a bit too small for my big hands)

• A New GPU, currently running a GTX 950, which is performing just fine, but rx480's are only about £230 and it is an upgrade
  • A Xbox One S, My Launch Xbox died on me last month, but cannot decide if I wanna jump in on a new slim model now, or wait on a Scorpio next year and buy exclusives from the Windows store instead

MrBenchmark

Okay, fingers truly fucking crossed here, but it appears as if my replacement TV no longer has the blackout issue. As I said, fingers crossed, but right now, and it has been about an hour, I have not seen the issue and have had 4k enabled on both my Roku 4 and One S (of course).

Two things to note...
1) The HDMI 5 port on this TV is way more "snug" than my previous model. The cable fits real tight. On my previous TV, from the very beginning, it obviously fit and went in, but it never fit like this.

2) The firmware version on this new replacement is different from my previous TV. Was my previous TV never updating its firmware even though it claimed to be? I do not know, but here is the info from original set to the newer set.

Original
Version 1.3.15-UHD
FRC Version 9.406

New TV
Version 1.3.26-UHD
FRC Version 9.415

Was that all it was? And if so, why was my previous TV not installing the firmware updates? I also have to admit, I have no idea what FRC is or means, Googling it looks like it may be Frame Rate Converter?? If so I would definitely imagine having a newer version of it could be a factor as well.

Whatever it may be, I am really happy. No HDR for me, but I finally get to experience 4K with no issues. Again, fingers crossed it stays this way.

Your old one ran the same firmware as my 2014 55 inch P series. your new one is running the same firmware as some of the late end production 50in 2014 P series.

etta

my hard graphic balls
How it looks in black:

CrdIrfpUMAABRe2.jpg

mishakoz

So my console is having the following issue:

It wont stay connected to the controller. I can resync it using a micro cable only, and the controller does turn the console on, and when it turns it on, it works fine. But if I turn the console power on, then the controller on, the light on the controller will be constant but no buttons work, if i turn the console off the controller will stay on.

Thats about the best I can describe it. As i far i know the sync button doesnt work either, micro usb only. Dont know whether its a console issue or controller issue, going to try to get a second controller to test.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: controller just lost connection after being connected for a couple minutes

edit2: Almost certainly a bad controller. Really disappointed, maybe im just unlucky but Im having flashbacks to my 3 red ringed consoles

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Oh ffs it's glossy.

I kinda wonder what it would look like with a grey matte body with orange highlights, I'd probably buy that.

You know...it's probably just that special edition that's glossy. No need to freak out.

dcx4610

Picked up the Samsung KS8000. What is the consensus on the color depth setting on the Xbox One?

Most panels are 10-bit (30-bit color depth). Should we set it to 30-bit or 36-bit? Even though most TVs don't support 36-bit, I've read there are benefits on setting it to 36 over 30 but I haven't seen any detailed reason why.

Has anyone else noticed after having their Xbox on instant on mode, it still powers all the way down sometimes? Another problem I am having is when I try to turn the codnsole on from the controller it has been disconnected and needs re-syncing. Am I doing it wrong, Gaf?

OK, I have a question about the 3.5mm port on the controller. Is the console supposed to mute when I plug in my headphones? On the PS4, when I plug headphones into the controller, it mutes the surround system unless I otherwise specify. But on the One S, sound comes through both, and I can't find a setting to change it. I just had to mute my receiver instead. Am I not doing it right?

OK, I have a question about the 3.5mm port on the controller. Is the console supposed to mute when I plug in my headphones? On the PS4, when I plug headphones into the controller, it mutes the surround system unless I otherwise specify. But on the One S, sound comes through both, and I can't find a setting to change it. I just had to mute my receiver instead. Am I not doing it right?

I just mute my receiver. It was like that on my OG One, also.

T.O.P

Banned
So, the only chance to get the console for us EU (Italy) plebs is to wait for the FIFA bundle?

The 2tb disappeared, not a single one i can find, even on ebay, the Gears one might be too much and i don't give a sinle fuck about FIFA

Wish we were getting the Halo bundle as well, ugh

Hell, not even a single 1tb edition to be seen :(

Top Bottom