• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

I just pre-ordered the Gears of War 4 Limited Edition 2TB Xbox One S. I already own a PS4 but owned a 360 between 2006-2014, so I guess I could say I'm very much a Gears of War kid at heart. I hope I don't regret this purchase and it's more than stupid nostalgia that I'm longing for. I just looked up some Xbox One exclusives and I think I could round up around 12 exclusives that make the console worth it for me either way - so that's good.

Now I just have to wait.

Hesemonni

Banned
I feel stupid, but did I understand this correctly: OG Xbox One will co-exist alongside Xbox One S or will it be phased out and at some point in time Xbox One S will be the only Xbox One model available (until Scorpio that is)?

naitosan

I feel stupid, but did I understand this correctly: OG Xbox One will co-exist alongside Xbox One S or will it be phased out and at some point in time Xbox One S will be the only Xbox One model available (until Scorpio that is)?

No you're not stupid because you're correct. OG Xbox will be phased out since Xbox One S will replacing it with much more attractive pricing and features.

CRAIG667

It's being phased out.

SCB3

Much like the Original 360 when the Slim came out

Okay, fingers truly fucking crossed here, but it appears as if my replacement TV no longer has the blackout issue. As I said, fingers crossed, but right now, and it has been about an hour, I have not seen the issue and have had 4k enabled on both my Roku 4 and One S (of course).

Two things to note...
1) The HDMI 5 port on this TV is way more "snug" than my previous model. The cable fits real tight. On my previous TV, from the very beginning, it obviously fit and went in, but it never fit like this.

2) The firmware version on this new replacement is different from my previous TV. Was my previous TV never updating its firmware even though it claimed to be? I do not know, but here is the info from original set to the newer set.

Original
Version 1.3.15-UHD
FRC Version 9.406

New TV
Version 1.3.26-UHD
FRC Version 9.415

Was that all it was? And if so, why was my previous TV not installing the firmware updates? I also have to admit, I have no idea what FRC is or means, Googling it looks like it may be Frame Rate Converter?? If so I would definitely imagine having a newer version of it could be a factor as well.

Whatever it may be, I am really happy. No HDR for me, but I finally get to experience 4K with no issues. Again, fingers crossed it stays this way.

M55c2?

Jerm411

This console is what the XB1 should've been from the start...loving it.

Quaint yet still good looking, super quiet, and runs like a gem...I really appreciate the form factor and size, will make taking it with me while I travel for work much easier.

Lucifon

Anyone spotted any decent bundles in the UK yet for the 500gb model? Still only seems to be FIFA but I'm keen to pick one of these up when they're released.

Anyone spotted any decent bundles in the UK yet for the 500gb model? Still only seems to be FIFA but I'm keen to pick one of these up when they're released.

A friend of mine is picking up the FIFA bundle and will sell the code online. People are desperate for FIFA and you can easily get €40 for it. Suddenly drops the Xbox One S 500GB to around €250 in price.

EmiPrime

If the Tesco £20 off code still works and you sell the FIFA code you might be able to get the 500GB model for around £200.

Loving this console, it's so damn pretty. After swapping out my first S because of a notification issue I'd been having, I've been having a great time with it. It's nice to chat with my old friends from the 360 days again.

DirtyLarry

M65C1

And I am very happy to report it has continued to work as intended. Not a single blackout issue to be seen. I am a very satisfied customer and have to give credit when credit is due. I heard some not so good things about Vizio's customer service, but they did me right for sure and it was also a painless process contacting them, etc.

I wonder will One S price drop to $249 soon, if PS4 Slim is $249?

Because i just find out Xbox Taiwan leaked the 500GB fifa bundle there(One S not officially released in Taiwan yet), and the price is NT8680(~$277)
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/XBOX/M.1473174732.A.814.html
Lz1kixb.jpg

Normally, Xbox One in Taiwan is more expensive than US due to tax or something.
http://www.xbox.com/zh-TW/xbox-one/consoles?xr=shellnav
The 500GB old one is selling NT9980($319) normally(though since they're clearing stock, it's NT8680($277) now).

Personally i don't think this time Xbox One S in Taiwan will cheaper than US, so maybe if PS4 Slim is $249, One S will follow? well guess we may find out soon, maybe even only few days later since Xbox Taiwan will have showcase in Friday night(Taiwan time), so there is chance they will announce One S release date at Friday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1259804860730939/

Xenoflare

I wonder will One S price drop to $249 soon, if PS4 Slim is $249?

Because i just find out Xbox Taiwan leaked the 500GB fifa bundle there(One S not officially released in Taiwan yet), and the price is NT8680(~$277)
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/XBOX/M.1473174732.A.814.html

Normally, Xbox One in Taiwan is more expensive than US due to tax or something.
http://www.xbox.com/zh-TW/xbox-one/consoles?xr=shellnav
The 500GB old one is selling NT9980($319) normally(though since they're clearing stock, it's NT8680($277) now).

Personally i don't think this time Xbox One S in Taiwan will cheaper than US, so maybe if PS4 Slim is $249, One S will follow? well guess we may find out soon, maybe even only few days later since Xbox Taiwan will have showcase in Friday night(Taiwan time), so there is chance they will announce One S release date at Friday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1259804860730939/

This looks like a regional pricing thing, it's not uncommon for the regional price being cheaper than the USD.

For example, the OG Xbox One in Canada did not receive a price increase due to the growing US dollar but the PS4 did. For a time Xbox One is cheaper to get in Canada.

That being said, NTD 8680 for the 500GB One S does seem really cheap.

I just checked the Chinese Xbox official site, it's still at 2999 yuan (450USD) yuck.

This looks like a regional pricing thing, it's not uncommon for the regional price being cheaper than the USD.

For example, the OG Xbox One in Canada did not receive a price increase due to the growing US dollar but the PS4 did. For a time Xbox One is cheaper to get in Canada.

I just checked the Chinese Xbox official site, it's still at 2999 yuan (450USD) yuck.

Well but from what i know Xbox One in Taiwan's RRP never cheaper than US(tax, shipping etc), so who knows, i still think it will depends on PS4 Slim's price, if 249, they will drop, if 299, then keep it same.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Loving this console, it's so damn pretty. After swapping out my first S because of a notification issue I'd been having, I've been having a great time with it. It's nice to chat with my old friends from the 360 days again.
Wait what? What possible part could have been busted in a way that ONLY affected notifications and not the rest of the OS?!? 🤔🤔🤔

Xenoflare

Well but from what i know Xbox One in Taiwan's RRP never cheaper than US(tax, shipping etc), so who knows, i still think it will depends on PS4 Slim's price, if 249, they will drop, if 299, then keep it same.

That is a bit too much of a kneejerk reaction, however MS did put the XB1 on multiple fire sales, so it's possible.

I think the shipping would actually be cheaper since they are all from China........ but I don't know how shipping cost works for the OEMs

Again, it's not uncommon for regions to have lower retail price than their USD counterparts, even when the history suggests otherwise.

I'm freaking out over pre-ordering that Gears of War 2TB Xbox One S a few days ago. I fully paid for it already and while I don't necessarily regret it, I feel like I shouldn't have this along with my PS4. Is this overkill? I plan to use my PS4 mostly (for multiplats) and I already meet my personal rule of having 12 or more exclusive games to justify a console purchase (not taking into account the exclusives that are still releasing like FH3 and ofc GoW4), but shit.. Anyone else have both consoles? And how do you manage? Time wise? Money wise?

Jerm411

I'm freaking out over pre-ordering that Gears of War 2TB Xbox One S a few days ago. I fully paid for it already and while I don't necessarily regret it, I feel like I shouldn't have this along with my PS4. Is this overkill? I plan to use my PS4 mostly (for multiplats) and I already meet my personal rule of having 12 or more exclusive games to justify a console purchase (not taking into account the exclusives that are still releasing like FH3 and ofc GoW4), but shit.. Anyone else have both consoles? And how do you manage? Time wise? Money wise?

Not at all IMO....I have both and a Wii U lol.

Most of my friends that I game with are on XB1 so that's my main console, have a PS4 for the exclusives.

Jerm411

Thanks. I never had more than one console at a time. I feel a bit strange about it as a result.

No prob....I totally get what you're saying, it's weird at first lol.

I travel a lot for work so it's easier for me....take one console with me depending on what I'm playing and leave the other at home for wife and daughter to watch Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Well then.. wow. Suddenly very happy with my soon to come Xbox One S. That built in 4K BR player is actually pretty significant now. Can't wait. My remaining fears now are that Gears of War 4 might suck but I'm hopeful since I liked Judgment too (along with the trilogy).

etta

my hard graphic balls
I regret selling my regular PS4 after seeing the Slim (no optical, ugly) and now this lmfao.

RedRum

Banned
Just became part of the S family. Sold the PS4, sold my Day 1 Xbox, and a couple of games for the H5 500 GB Edition. Used the money to also get BF1 and CoD.

Two questions:

1) Since this has an internal power supply, does that mean that it should be plugged into a surge protector?

2) Those who've bought a second controller: Did the box have one piece of tape to slice open or two? I just opened my new one and it only had one, which I found curious. There were no signs of someone having opened it, though.

Moa

Figured now would be a good time to grab this since the household just got a 4K TV.

I'm looking for a 500GB model in the UK but the only one I can find is a FIFA 17 bundle releasing on Sep 22nd.

Is there really nothing else available right now?

Figured now would be a good time to grab this since the household just got a 4K TV.

I'm looking for a 500GB model in the UK but the only one I can find is a FIFA 17 bundle releasing on Sep 22nd.

There is also the Gears of War 4 2TB bundle, and that's it. It's significantly more expensive.

jelly

Yeah, that blows. Note to Microsoft, not everyone wants FIFA. Halo bundle would have been sweet or anything else really. Maybe waiting for Forza to release and others. Does it come in black.....

Moa

Yeah, that blows. Note to Microsoft, not everyone wants FIFA. Halo bundle would have been sweet or anything else really. Maybe waiting for Forza to release and others. Does it come in black.....

Yup - this will be the second Xbox One I've bought that's come with FIFA. I think my Day One edition came with FIFA 14 or whichever game it was then.

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok I have a question now. I'll buy the ps4 pro but I need a uhd player. Et I have only 3 HDMI on my
Oled (tv box. Apple TV, ps4). I can't even install an uhd bluray player .... Unless maybe the Xbox one S can accept my Apple TV through an HDMI in and I can use them both on one HDMI on tv ?

If yes then I'll go buy one ... 500gb enough ... Will just use for uhd bluray and maybe then some exclusive solo game ( won't pay another online service for sure )

mcrommert

Banned
It's coming in an update. Albert Penello mentioned it during an interview with DF. I made a little thread about it a long time ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257388

I hope this fixes it for the regular xbox one also..i appreciate what they were trying to do....make the audio experience seamless...but i would rather my receive did the dts-hd and truehd decoding

EDIT: and most of all stereo tv actually outputting that way (best solution right now is to output stereo on optical and switch to that input on stereo content to so you can use processing on it)

f@luS

More than a member.
I guess I'm about to buy one just for the uhd player then, don't wanna spend 500e for the stand alone player. I have few question :

-I've read there is an HDMI In for a cable box. Is it easy to use ? My gf just watch tv and wanna know if it's complicated or friendly to use
-can't I connect an Apple TV in the HDMI in ? In the only one to use the Apple TV so it's would be less complicated. I have only 3 HDMI on my oled and I have already ps4/atv/cable box
-I may use it to play some solo game then... I won't subscribe to Xbox live gold I have my psn already. You can still access some Xbox live feature without gold ? Which one ?
-if I can't for the Apple TV, can anybody link me a simple UhD 4K HDMI switch for 2 devices ?
-I can't find the vertical stand where i am(France ) any link to order online that ship here?
-last : I see only the Fifa bundle with the 500gb model. Console alone isn't available ?

Thanks a lot

Bessy67

I guess I'm about to buy one just for the uhd player then, don't wanna spend 500e for the stand alone player. I have few question :

-I've read there is an HDMI In for a cable box. Is it easy to use ? My gf just watch tv and wanna know if it's complicated or friendly to use
-can't I connect an Apple TV in the HDMI in ? In the only one to use the Apple TV so it's would be less complicated. I have only 3 HDMI on my oled and I have already ps4/atv/cable box
-I may use it to play some solo game then... I won't subscribe to Xbox live gold I have my psn already. You can still access some Xbox live feature without gold ? Which one ?
-if I can't for the Apple TV, can anybody link me a simple UhD 4K HDMI switch for 2 devices ?
-I can't find the vertical stand where i am(France ) any link to order online that ship here?
-last : I see only the Fifa bundle with the 500gb model. Console alone isn't available ?

Thanks a lot
HDMI passthrough is pretty easy. Just plug it in and you're good to go. You can also set the Xbox to turn it on or off when you turn the xbox on and you can set it to go straight to TV when you boot it up. Apple TV would also work in the HDMI passthrough, but I'm pretty sure that the HDMI passthrough doesn't support 4K signals. Not 100% on that but I think I remember hearing that.

f@luS

More than a member.
HDMI passthrough is pretty easy. Just plug it in and you're good to go. You can also set the Xbox to turn it on or off when you turn the xbox on and you can set it to go straight to TV when you boot it up. Apple TV would also work in the HDMI passthrough, but I'm pretty sure that the HDMI passthrough doesn't support 4K signals. Not 100% on that but I think I remember hearing that.
Well the Apple TV isn't 4K so I wouldn't care. I just use it for canal play a French Netflix -like vod.
Thanks and if anybody has the answer for the rest, thanks again

f@luS

More than a member.
Wow I just saw that my canal app if available on Xbox one I didn't think so as it's not on ps4... No need for Apple TV anymore I guess ...

Wiped89

So after seeing the PS4 Pro, I have preordered an Xbox One S 500GB.

Will the TV pass through work with a Humax Freeview HD box? Might be fun to try it.

I am most interested in 4k bluray though.

Top Bottom