• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Neff

So I've been playing around with my new XB1 S for a bit. It's pretty cool.

Things I like

- It's sexy
- It's quiet
- It'll have Scalebound on it next year
- BC works extremely well based on what I've played
- Controller seems to be an overall improvement over the 360 S model (edit: playing Perfect Dark, make that a huge improvement, goodbye continent-sized dead zones)

Things I don't like

- The icon, menu and button usage is ridiculously cluttered and unintuitive even by MS standards
- Mandatory, always-on viewer notification in the lower middle of the screen during full-screen streaming - this really, really sucks. It's prominent as fuck and hard to ignore. Not great for plasma TVs either, I'd imagine
- Some 360 BC games have carried over with my account, which is great, but some of them are also shared by Rare Replay, and it looks like the console insists on installing/downloading updates for both versions of the same titles, which seems silly
- There's a footballer on the box

Still happy with my purchase, especially for the price.

gamz

I just got this thing and wow it's much smaller and so much better looking. And this I'd my first time messing with one of the new controllers. Only ever used the day one 2013 controller. There's a real difference here.

So I have a question: Can I just transfer as many games to an external HDD as I can and they'll be ready to play on my new X1 as soon as I get my account set up on it? That'd be awesome if it were that easy.

Yep

gamz

So I've been playing around with my new XB1 S for a bit. It's pretty cool.

Things I like

- It's sexy
- It's quiet
- It'll have Scalebound on it next year
- BC works extremely well based on what I've played
- Controller seems to be an overall improvement over the 360 S model

Things I don't like

- The icon, menu and button usage is ridiculously cluttered and unintuitive even by MS standards
- Mandatory, always-on viewer notification in the lower middle of the screen during full-screen streaming - this really, really sucks. It's prominent as fuck and hard to ignore. Not great for plasma TVs either, I'd imagine
- Some 360 BC games have carried over with my account, which is great, but some of them are also shared by Rare Replay, and it looks like the console insists on installing/downloading updates for both versions of the same titles, which seems silly
- There's a footballer on the box

Still happy with my purchase, especially for the price.

I only have plasmas and have left it on all night long and never had issues with burn-in. If the plasma is older (broken in) you aren't going to get burn-in.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Coming from PC/PS4 only, are Halo MCC and Guardians worth getting? I heard there were issues with MCC?
MCC issues are online related, but yes they are worth it. Halo is one of the most iconic franchises, everyone should play Halo at one point or another. Halo 5's multiplayer is one of a kind, too, though the campaign lacks.

Theorry

MCC has indeed some issues still online. But the SP is totally fine. Alot of content.
Game is very cheap to find also, Believe its arround 8 bucks on some sites for a digital version.

Footos22

Mcc £5.49
Gears ultimate £9.99
Halo 5 digital deluxe £17.99
Forza Horizon 3 Basically free after sold disc copy and had my fallout 4 error money back
Sell of fifa and overwatch pays for Gears 4 preorder with change

I did good.

psyfi

Banned
Coming from PC/PS4 only, are Halo MCC and Guardians worth getting? I heard there were issues with MCC?
Halo 5's PvP is one of the best console arena FPS experiences to date, but its campaign is nothing special. Play the campaign in co-op if you can, and then enjoy the multiplayer.

Theorry

Mcc £5.49
Gears ultimate £9.99
Halo 5 digital deluxe £17.99
Forza Horizon 3 Basically free after sold disc copy and had my fallout 4 error money back
Sell of fifa and overwatch pays for Gears 4 preorder with change

I did good.

That sounds like cdkeys.com haha.

Spasm

Costco's got the 500GB Minecraft bundle for $289. Are the free games included as codes? Are they resellable? Worth anything?

Ushay

That Storm Gray version of the One S looks amazing, I ended up getting the white version, which is also great.

Hope the Scoprio comes in a slick black version.

rdytoroll

Does anyone use their Xbox One S controller on the PC? Which Bluetooth dongle do I have to buy? Cause I don't have built in Bluetooth in my pc

stinkytick

Neo Member
Was yours a Fifa 17 500gb bundle? And where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? I'm on my second defective unit from Tesco now (buzzing fan) and having trouble getting Xbox support to do anything in a decent timeframe. I'm reluctant to get another replacement from Tesco because it'll probably have the same issue...

Video of my fan issue for those interested: https://twitter.com/sam_mcgarry13/status/781013238880280577

I'm from Europe but my Fifa17 500Gb Xbox One S had that fan rattling sound.
Went to the store to exchange today and the first few employees were skeptical and considered it a normal fan until another one checked to see what was the reason for all that commotion and his reaction was literally "Holy sh... This sounds broke"
Ended up asking them to open a new one to compare with mine and the new one was silent.
I just hope this one doesn't end up with the same problem after some usage.

Moze

Banned
Does the bluetooth controller work on the PC and XB1 without having to re-sync when you switch between the two platforms?

Jzero

Does the bluetooth controller work on the PC and XB1 without having to re-sync when you switch between the two platforms?
I had to resync every time I wanted to switch from console to PC. It makes sense though, you dont want it working on both at the same time

Electret

Two questions:

(1) How do I mute any sound coming out of the TV when I've got headphones plugged into the 3.5 mm port on the controller? It seems to be producing sound at both locations when I've got headphones plugged in.

(2) How do I set RGB range to limited? IIRC there was an option relating to RGB or color output, consisting of 'standard' and 'PC RGB' options. From what I've read the best thing to do on Xbox consoles is set both the console and TV to limited to avoid black crush. And I seem to be getting an ass-load of black crush (in Perfect Dark and COD:WaW specifically).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(2) How do I set RGB range to limited? IIRC there was an option relating to RGB or color output, consisting of 'standard' and 'PC RGB' options. From what I've read the best thing to do on Xbox consoles is set both the console and TV to limited to avoid black crush. And I seem to be getting an ass-load of black crush (in Perfect Dark and COD:WaW specifically).
Standard is the same as limited. It's on the Video Output menu.

Ushay

Two questions:

(1) How do I mute any sound coming out of the TV when I've got headphones plugged into the 3.5 mm port on the controller? It seems to be producing sound at both locations when I've got headphones plugged in.

1) Press mute on your TV remote, no seriously. X1 won't mute your TV automatically.

2) Unsure, I haven't experienced much black crush. I set mine on PC Full.

Have you done that trade in before?

Damn that Xbox One Kinect adaptor is $40 retail!

Yup. Purchased the 1tb holiday bundle, traded it to Amazon as the Fifa 16 bundle because they'd pay the most for that one. The consoles are identical, and they don't require you to turn in the game.

Lucario

Anyone else getting constant shutdowns due to overheating?

Opened my S around two hours ago, and every time I try to play a game or watch a movie, it reboots and alerts me that my xbox "requires ventilation."

It's nowhere near anything else, just sitting in the middle of the floor :|

leng jai

Opened my S around two hours ago, and every time I try to play a game or watch a movie, it reboots and alerts me that my xbox "requires ventilation."

Looks like you need to take it back for an exchange.

Dominator

So the right trigger on my controller doesn't click silently anymore. It makes a loud noise every time it is pressed, unlike the left one that is silent when pressed. Since it's only 2 months old, do you guys think Microsoft would replace it?

Norse

Is the floor wood or carpet? You don't want to set electronics on carpet.

Jzero

The top isn't being covered by anything right?
Mine expels so much hot hair it makes my wood furniture hot.

Xenoflare

Had to replace the two month old controller due to a broken headphone jack.

Now I just leave a pair of headphones plugged in, I either have really bad luck or these thing are not durable at all

EvB

I have the original Xbox One and just got a 4k HDR TV, I know the S supports HDR. Just wondering why there is no update like the PS4 got ?

To be fair, the PS4 doesn't have a single HDR compatible piece of content , nor the require hardware to do HDR, so nobody is actually sure how they have done it.

Or IF they have even done it.

Jzero

To be fair, the PS4 doesn't have a single HDR compatible piece of content , nor the require hardware to do HDR, so nobody is actually sure how they have done it.

Or IF they have even done it.
They added HDR to my TV though a software update so they definitely know what they're doing

Two questions:

1) Since this doesn't have a power bar, does it need to be plugged into a surge protector?

2) Is it safe to dust the thing when it's on Instant On mode? Or no?

Syrus

Banned
Two questions:

1) Since this doesn't have a power bar, does it need to be plugged into a surge protector?

2) Is it safe to dust the thing when it's on Instant On mode? Or no?

Very good questions...id like to know too. I assume ud want to power down for dustingm

thenameDS

You need to send it back, definitely a faulty console. Mine is in a tight space behind the TV and never had overheating problems so yours in an open space shouldn't be shutting down.

pieface

So setup my Xbox One S, went to plug my Kinect in and noticed it didn;t have a socket for it, then read I need to buy an adapter. In my head I was thinking the adapter would cost about £10-£15 ...... but it's £40?!? Really MS?

gamz

So setup my Xbox One S, went to plug my Kinect in and noticed it didn;t have a socket for it, then read I need to buy an adapter. In my head I was thinking the adapter would cost about £10-£15 ...... but it's £40?!? Really MS?

It's free from day one. Contact MS with your kinect serial number and they will send you the adapter free of charge. No idea where you are getting it cost money? Or are people selling it or something?

Spades

Just received my free adaptor from MS last week. Takes a week or so to get to you once you order one.

Top Bottom