• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Ushay

Hey all - a little help? I have an LG E6 and just got an Xbox One S. I hooked it up directly to the TV (HDMI OUT of Xbox One S to HDMI 2) and I was expecting to see a lot of checkmarks on this screen to confirm 4K details on my TV.

I was a bit surprised at my results - are these right? The TV obviously supports HDR, not sure why it says it doesn't?

sjlscCm.jpg

Here are the settings from the screen before:
FkE1hnU.jpg

Hook it up to HDMI 1, then restart both devices mate. HDR is normally restricted to the first HDMI port on most of these sets.

Rourkey

Hey all - a little help? I have an LG E6 and just got an Xbox One S. I hooked it up directly to the TV (HDMI OUT of Xbox One S to HDMI 2) and I was expecting to see a lot of checkmarks on this screen to confirm 4K details on my TV.

I was a bit surprised at my results - are these right? The TV obviously supports HDR, not sure why it says it doesn't?

sjlscCm.jpg

Here are the settings from the screen before:
FkE1hnU.jpg

On my Samsung you have to activate UHD colour for each HDMI socket you have a comptable device plugged into, both my Sky Q and Xbox One S have it on as both can output 10bit.

NYR

Hook it up to HDMI 1, then restart both devices mate. HDR is normally restricted to the first HDMI port on most of these sets.

On my Samsung you have to activate UHD colour for each HDMI socket you have a comptable device plugged into, both my Sky Q and Xbox One S have it on as both can output 10bit.

Thanks gents, will give both options a try, I don't have a 4K compatible receiver so I did the direct hook up. Will buy one in November.

f@luS

More than a member.
Is there any way to use Netflix the correct way with a 4k set ?

Whatever I watch my TV set automatically to HDR mode on Netflix. Hdr movies , 4K only or even simple hd everything stay in hdr. Makes non hdr content looks too dark
Anyone ?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok so just registered the S online over at Microsoft devices and it says the warranty is 12/5/2017.

I have no idea if thats 12th May '17 or 5th December '17. I'm in the UK but I know sometimes Xbox and Microsoft display dates in US format.

dealer-

Was yours a Fifa 17 500gb bundle? And where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? I'm on my second defective unit from Tesco now (buzzing fan) and having trouble getting Xbox support to do anything in a decent timeframe. I'm reluctant to get another replacement from Tesco because it'll probably have the same issue...

Video of my fan issue for those interested: https://twitter.com/sam_mcgarry13/status/781013238880280577

I returned mine to Tesco in the end. Luckily, I ordered from Amazon for £199 on Sunday instead and the new unit is fine, no clicking and as quiet as my OG. I think it might have just been a faulty batch from Tesco.

I returned mine to Tesco in the end. Luckily, I ordered from Amazon for £199 on Sunday instead and the new unit is fine, no clicking and as quiet as my OG. I think it might have just been a faulty batch from Tesco.

Mine is going back to Tesco tomorrow and picking up replacement - hoping for a quiet one.

There is a thread on HUKD that is full of people sending them back to Tesco (and even some to Amazon) some people are on their third machine now - mental !

Jzero

Just got mine, set it up in like 20 minutes. Still playing with it but works great with my Blu-rays so far.

Sony lost a sale by not putting it in their console.

I love that you can listen to content through the controller 😁 The max volume is kinda low though 😣

NYR

Thanks, this was it! I needed to turn on "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" mode in the menu. I am getting the results I am expecting now, the LG E6 has 3D so that normally means 50hz is not supported, I believe?

V1d4Bqs.jpg

Simbo

Neo Member
I've got a very strange problem and I'm not sure whether it's a fault with the console or not.

Had the console for a week and it's located upstairs and my router is downstairs. For a week the WiFi has worked without any issues. However I switched the console on yesterday and WiFi wouldn't work despite having full signal. Whenever I toggle between offline / online mode in the settings a circular loading icon appears on screen and never goes away and it won't actually engage in one of these modes. I have to turn the console off to clear it.

Anyway I took the console downstairs to hardwire it in and miraculously the WiFi worked. Took the console upstairs again, full WiFi signal yet it won't connect and again I can't switch between offline / online modes.

Completely doing my head in as it was working perfectly until yesterday.

Any ideas?

Rourkey

Thanks, this was it! I needed to turn on "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" mode in the menu. I am getting the results I am expecting now, the LG E6 has 3D so that normally means 50hz is not supported, I believe?

V1d4Bqs.jpg

Great!

Not sure about the 50hz thing but doubt its an issue if you are in the US anyway, 50hz is for Pal broadcasts in Europe so the xbox has it as an option incase the TV cant do 60hz.

There's nothing in 50hz 4k HDR as far as i'm aware

Has anyone else encountered sticky buttons on the new controller? I had a sticky X button with my first one, which would get stuck momentarily every so often. My replacement seems to do it a bit, too, but not nearly as bad.

f@luS

More than a member.
Seriously. I don't have just one but 6-7-8 hdr external storage ready when I boot my Xbox one S

It's an USB 2tb drive. Looks like even when the console is off it keep a notification (I'm on instant on and checked the turn off external storage when Xbox is off)

Any idea why ?

U2NUMB

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem with one of the latest preview updates... my tiles no longer are able to be transparent. I get solid tiles no matter how many times I reset the setting..

No idea if its an S only issue..

ctfg23

I just got my console from Amazon and the tape was already broken, but the inside seems normal. Should I exchange it?

Edit: The Xbox One box, not the shipping box

Edit 2: The Madden code was already redeemed. Sending back for a replacement.

f@luS

More than a member.
Seriously. I don't have just one but 6-7-8 hdr external storage ready when I boot my Xbox one S

It's an USB 2tb drive. Looks like even when the console is off it keep a notification (I'm on instant on and checked the turn off external storage when Xbox is off)

Any idea why ?
7 notification I just got by turning on my xbox right now

Can someone help me out here. I bought KI on PC. Now which version am I supposed to download on the xbox one? Im downloading the base game and thats it. Everything else shows up for me to pay for.

Electret

My S just arrived. It looks terrific! I have a feeling the controller may quickly become my favorite, too.

Coming from the 360 and PS4, I've got some noobie questions for you all. I'm thinking of catching up on some 360 titles I missed and buying digitally. If I purchase these on the S, but decide to play them on the 360 (for better performance; I've got the 360 hooked up too) is it a seamless process to do this? Can I go the other direction, too?

If you all have other tips you think might be helpful for someone new to XBO, I'll gratefully take them. Games with Gold looks worth hopping on.

psyfi

Banned
Just got mine too. I wasn't too stoked on getting a white model, but man, it's really adorable. I just ordered the vertical stand, and I think I'll like it even more when it's upright.

I hope the Scorpio has a similar personality to it, though I'm expecting it to be more sleek / fancy looking. Which is okay too, but I think I'm gonna miss this cute little box.

Electret

Questions on backwards compatibility from a brand new S owner:

I bought Perfect Dark on 360 a few days ago and installed it on my S today. My save didn't transfer over. Is there some sort of cloud upload I can do on the 360 to get my save data over to the S?

When I did fire up PD on the S, inputs from the control sticks weren't registering at all, though inputs from the Dpad and face buttons were. Earlier the S prompted me to update the controller, but that failed when attempting it wirelessly. Are these perhaps related? I don't think I have an A-to-A USB cable to do the update.

Thanks for any insight.

DirtyLarry

Not sure what took me so long to do this, but I finally compared Netflix on the One S to Netflix on the Roku 4 both running in 4K.
Keep in mind my TV does not have HDR.
It was clearly noticeable the One S is doing a decent amount of image processing. The notorious "crushed blacks" were very apparent.
Even my wife noticed it and she never notices nor cares about shit like this.
We both agreed the XBox looked more like TV and the Roku looked more like a movie, if that makes any sense. It did to myself and my wife.
We used Luke Cage as the test since that is what I was watching.
Simplest way to put it is the image on the Roku 4 was much cooler, and therefore had a more cinematic feel.

Both were on same input on the TV thanks to the fact they are going through a receiver. Both inputs on the Receiver set to Direct as well.

Is there anything I can do to adjust the picture settings on the One to try and get it more natural? Like anything on the XBox side itself?

ryan299

Just got one for my little brother. Do I just log into my account and set his system as my home console so he can share my digital games? Also if I do that, does he have to pay for gold if he creates a new gt?

Colbert

Banned
Questions on backwards compatibility from a brand new S owner:

I bought Perfect Dark on 360 a few days ago and installed it on my S today. My save didn't transfer over. Is there some sort of cloud upload I can do on the 360 to get my save data over to the S?

When I did fire up PD on the S, inputs from the control sticks weren't registering at all, though inputs from the Dpad and face buttons were. Earlier the S prompted me to update the controller, but that failed when attempting it wirelessly. Are these perhaps related? I don't think I have an A-to-A USB cable to do the update.

Thanks for any insight.

If you still own a 360 you need to transfer your save files to the cloud storage that comes with your Xbox Live Gold Membership (don't know its available for silver accounts but I guess not). You should have 4GB of storage so there is plenty of space for a lot of save files. If you uploaded your save files to the cloud storage you are able to access them from your Xbox One S. Thats the only way to transfer saves from your Xbox 360 to your Xbox One when playing BC games there.

Edit:
You should be able to check if the cloud storage is available to you by getting into the System Settings of your Xbox 360. There look into the Storage section. There you can move/copy files to the cloud storage if they are still stored on the harddrive

BFIB

20160930_214038_zpsbx9kobvs.jpg

Told myself my OG One was fine, but I had to get myself my own housewarming gift. I'm glad I did, even sitting at 1080P, the console is so compact with no bulky power brick.

Norse

20160930_214038_zpsbx9kobvs.jpg

Told myself my OG One was fine, but I had to get myself my own housewarming gift. I'm glad I did, even sitting at 1080P, the console is so compact with no bulky power brick.

LoL...that's exactly what I did but got the 2TB model with the stand. Looks awesome standing next to the TV.....next up is a 4k TV with HDR. Leaning vizio p series or Samsung 8000 with Sony x800d a possible choice as well. Maybe even x800c 2015 model if price is low enough.

Electret

Thanks much. Looks like cloud saves are not included int he 14 day Gold trial, so I'll have to buy a month or more. I tried transferring the 360 save onto USB and loading that onto the S, but it appears that XBO doesn't support save transfers via USB.

f@luS

More than a member.

Any idea why ?
Nobody ? :(

Lucent

I just got this thing and wow it's much smaller and so much better looking. And this I'd my first time messing with one of the new controllers. Only ever used the day one 2013 controller. There's a real difference here.

So I have a question: Can I just transfer as many games to an external HDD as I can and they'll be ready to play on my new X1 as soon as I get my account set up on it? That'd be awesome if it were that easy.

Theswweet

Getting my system tomorrow. I put a Master Chief Collection/Halo 5 bundle on hold at the GameStop a town over (man, this sale really made them hard to find in person!) and I got one of the $50 off coupons that have been going around. Gonna grab my system with Forza Horizon 3. Can't wait!

Hammer24

Banned
So I caved and got a new shiny S.....

Please help me with a couple questions!
1. Is the promo for the free Kinect adapter still live?
2. Is there any way to store my settings from the old One and transfer it to the new one? I´m talking like, tiles, background picture, TV settings and so on.
3. When I want to sell the old One, I first delist it from my devices and then do a factory reset - is that right?

Thanks for helping me out here! :)

Edit: Looks like the free adapter promo is still live.

f@luS

More than a member.

Any idea why ?

Quoting myself
I unchecked the "turn external drive off when turning off the console " and no motivation anymore. Although is it ok to have it always on ? (The drive )
I just checked after I turn off the Xbox my hdd is ditlk working (like fan noise ) then 30m after I just have the blue light on it no more noise it's ok I guess ?

Top Bottom