• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

chadskin

Not trying to defend MS but this is just for the launch window. Past console generations never launched in EVERY single country at the same time, not even the 360 and PS3. So they'll add more countries along the way.

If it really blocks users in those not-supported countries per IP though, that's a different story. That'll screw em over.

Steroyd

Waaaait a minute.

Is this saying that if a Japaneese person imported a X1 from America and bought US games STILL can't play on the console because the authentication is blocked because they live in Japan?

RdN

Wow.. This sucks. I'm in a supported country, but I feel for anyone who's not.

Also, I think it's great that Microsoft finally said "Fuck Japan". They've ignored the console for more than a decade.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Russia? Really? REALLY?
The one market that still can't properly embrace console gaming due to lack of regional pricing policy that saved the PC games market over 15 years ago?
And you're trying to sell this POS that's going to cost like 25 000 HERE?!

MS. You're out of your mind.

I guess you would prefer not being able to buy it at all.

Microsoft's got some balls.

I'll give them that.

Sure...
ByZoQUMNJjphzo_Lx2u0X1OiRZgmSL2hXxjQCpXmrJhwJlqN_trr4uvC6J09E6co2T0=w705

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest thing about this for me is that it looks to region lock by country. If that happens, gaming on Xbox One just got a lot more expensive for me and the entirety of continental Europe as all the best deals are UK based.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I guess you would prefer not being able to buy it at all.
I'm just bewildered by Russia being in the list, considering it's really not the richest country, an average gamer's funds taken into account... especially outside of Moscow.
I don't care either way, it's just odd to see it launch here... and not in Japan.

Nestunt

Waaaait a minute.

Is this saying that if a Japaneese person imported a X1 from America and bought US games STILL can't play on the console because the authentication is blocked because they live in Japan?

this is crazy

even when they had xbox live restrictions you could do something like that

thisismadness.gif

demolitio

Where's the asterisk at the bottom of the chart indicating:

*Console only works in highlighted countries above if the consumer has their Kinect plugged in and has checked in online once in the past 24 hours. Your experience may differ.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
no Japan? Then we will never get to play FF15. (simultaneous world wise release on both platforms as SE said) God damn it xbone.

Free win for PS4 it seems.

Or it will just be like it's been for past JP releases. PS only in japan, both in the US.

Teletraan1

Banned
Pretty savvy making a device that is so restrictive. With a shrinking market it makes perfect sense to limit your potential customers.

DBT85

MS has dug a grave for themselves. It's unbelievable.

Ah, nice! Your GIF is amazing. :)

Not my gif, I asked for it to be made and supplied the original gif (which someone else had made lol), but another gaffer made it and didn't put his name on it like a nitwit.

The best part is that it was tweeted to Bottas and he retweeted it lol.

Nestunt

The last couple of years the main focus was Kinect in here. We did have a decent Halo 4 reveal where Celebrities was the priority and the gamers were the second priority (true fact).

I got one Xbox 360 Slim from Microsoft (for Free) with Kinect + 2 Games + 3 Months of XBL. The people who work at the Microsft HQ are decent people. They just are going to struggle again since one of the main problem was the lack of funds for Marketing and other things.

But this time the console itself is also representing a real problem for they to push upcoming sales.

But this ends all hopes of aquiring one right?

Into

Japan, Croatia, Portugal?

I can sorta understand not wanting to release at launch in Japan tough, it is a waste of their time, even without all the always online and DRM their chances are tiny, now they are impossible.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm just bewildered by Russia being in the list, considering it's really not the richest country, an average gamer's funds taken into account... especially outside of Moscow.
I don't care either way, it's just odd to see it launch here... and not in Japan.

I think MS wouldn't support a country which doesn't bring them enough money to do that.

Or may be Live is just better supported in Russia.

What the fuck, so if I bought a Xbox One, I won't be able authenticate in all of Asia, Eastern Europe, South America and Africa if I were on a holiday/visiting family etc.

Ok ...

Edit: Scratch that a bit, Brazil and Russia is confirmed, but that is still fucked up regardless.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If this does IP checks, just wow...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
...the hell Microsoft is doing?

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in the specified geographic regions

oh wow, so not even like Steam when you can redeem the code anywhere, here they lock you.

Requires account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country (not all Xbox Live countries).

so with the activation and this you can't even import the system to many of the regions. damn.

this is absolutely crazy and pure brand suicide.

Raiden

Banned
Why are they even doing this? Not that i even care at this point. I love how every new generation will have a new dominator. Xbox 360 was this gen. Looks like PS4 will be the console to go next gen.

NateDrake

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.

Does this mean Xbox One is region-locked?

RobbieH

Not trying to defend MS but this is just for the launch window. Past console generations never launched in EVERY single country at the same time, not even the 360 and PS3. So they'll add more countries along the way.

If it really blocks users in those not-supported countries per IP though, that's a different story. That'll screw em over.

Honestly, I think if this was the list of launch countries that's how they'd portray it. As it stands you have to have an Xbox Live account in one of these 21 countries (Xbox 360 Live != Xbox One Live) and "Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

So for a game to work your Xbox Live account must be in one of those 21 countries and the game must be allow activation in your country. Possibly region locking by country. Yay.

Salsa

great, hopefully they wont even sell it around here then. I doubt theyll ever care about making it work in Uruguay

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm from one of those gray who-gives-a-shit-about countries, MS even managed to take away my ultimate consumer right: being able to *not* buy XBO by choice.

FUCK YOU MS!
I laughed. But I really want to cry...

Not because of MS, fuck them and their shitty practices. I just don't want this to be the future of gaming.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
MS doing everything they can to not succeed this gen. There must be an evil masterplan behind all this.

Concept17

Why are they even doing this? Not that i even care at this point. I love how every new generation will have a new dominator. Xbox 360 was this gen. Looks like PS4 will be the console to go next gen.

I don't think 'dominator' really classifies the 360.

Top Bottom