• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One vs Steam | How the two are actually very different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmented

Banned
Thing I've always hated about steam is that no more then 1 person can be logged into a steam account at any time. For anyone with more then 1 gamer in the house this is a pain in the ass. I've taken to buy as many games off steam as I can for this reason.

Put the account on one computer in offline mode. Problem solved.

quickwhips

- Steam isn't a closed platform. You don't need a particular box to use it.
- Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers.
- Steam has far superior prices and sales.
- The basic RRP for a PC game is less than that of a console game, with Steam, usually cheaper.
- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs
- Steam allows for complete offline play. No check ins at all once a game is downloaded.

---

Feel free to add points or further elaborate.

With Windows RT we might see that software on X1 will work on future generations so this might be true.
Xbox 360 had a few sales but MS reps have said they would like pricing on older games to be like steam
Cheaper has alot to do with how things were Same day of release so alot of this is wait and see.
X1 is a digital download service but you can buy physical codes (disc) in store plus you can resell your games.
You can play online but you have to check in once every 24 hours.

Alot of things aren't totally clear yet to say it won't be like steam at all is really silly at this point. But to say it will is also silly. I'll post back in a year and see how close either one of us was. Also how many steam games were on sale when the service first launched? And how many games on day one are on sale? I know they had borderland 4 packs but besides stuff like that...one copy of retail game at good price?

rrs

No. Selling your account violates the service. Valve hasn't really stepped forward and offered it's stance on giving your account away. But it's not like Valve is going to know anyhow. Also realize that it's possible for you to let your friend log into your account, download games, go into offline mode, then you can log into Steam from your computer and play your games.

Honestly, the bigger issue than something minor than this were the hacked steam clients that could download and run any game (but not use online stuff)

dancmc

No. Selling your account violates the service. Valve hasn't really stepped forward and offered it's stance on giving your account away. But it's not like Valve is going to know anyhow. Also realize that it's possible for you to let your friend log into your account, download games, go into offline mode, then you can log into Steam from your computer and play your games.

Couldn't you also let your friend borrow your xbone account? Except with xbone you would have to authenticate on your home machine then go into offline mode and then let your friend borrow your account and use your account t on their system for up to 24 hours before you have to reauthenticate? No?

- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers.

I assume you mean back ups?

Otherwise doesn't this mean you can share one game with an infinite number of people?

Fixed1979

This could be true for the XB1 as well if they stick to x86 architecture.

We only have a single console switch to judge MS by, and while it could be true, I'm more likely to lean on the side that it won't be. Unfortunately we probably won't find out one way or another few quite a few years.

nib95

Banned
OP, please feel free to add:

- Steam doesn't allow you to trade in your old games

- Steam requires you to download every game using your Internet bandwidth

Just a couple of differences I noticed you had missed there. Unless you have an agenda?

- Trading games being permitted is up to the Publisher.

- You can buy Steam games that are installed via the disc.

I don't think sharing does, I could be wrong though. Selling your account however violates the TOS.

It says right in the Steam TOS you cant give your password to anyone or share your account. Took like 2 seconds to Crtl-F "share" to find out. The fact that people can get away with it isn't an argument.

The problem with threads like this is the agenda of the OP. He fails to point out the positive differences of XB1 vs Steam, and instead only the negatives. There are pros and cons to both services that should all be listed for a more fair and balanced discussion.
The cons of Steam were pointed out. See my post above the one you quoted.

And you should absolutely feel free to point out any positives XB One has over Steam. I'll get the ball rolling.

You wouldn't let your 14 year old son use your Steam account as you may have M rated games on it, there's a filter on the XB One so you decide what he can play.

Dmented

Banned

Otherwise doesn't this mean you can share one game with an infinite number of people?

It could if the game is DRM free (not using Steamworks/any other DRM). But I think he mainly means to redownload your game if you happen to build/buy a new PC.

EMT0

Banned
It's an obsession for you, isn't it?

I also have no idea of what this is supposed to mean:

Ehr, of course, if you are downloading a digital purchase you need to use your bandwidth to do it... Your point?

If that wasn't obvious enough.

Steam is a digital download store, and on occasion, function as a DRM service. But it is not in and of itself DRM. Steamworks games? You have to be logged onto Steam to play them. Most any other game? Not the case, boot from your desktop if you so want.

pixlexic

Banned
holy crap you are wrong on almost all accounts.

- steam is a close service. You cant put your game on it unless approved like any other digital service

- Your XBL account works on your pc ..windows phone .. and xbox one and 360.

- you can log into any xbox 360 or xbox one and download your games.

- most new games on steam are full price.. $50 - $60 for big titles.

- we have yet to see if steam type sales will appear.

- xbox one is digital download service.. i am not sure what you are getting at here.

- steam allows offline play to certain titles dictated by the publisher and only if you enable the feature and have logged in recently on the same pc.

this is getting to be ridiculous.

Sentenza

What means is that there's much stopping you to do it; it doesn't mean you "can" or "should" do it.
In the same way you could also duplicate your games discs or download pirated ISO files, which doesn't mean you are supposed to.
On the other hand, legally speaking you aren't even supposed to borrow your games from past console generations. Or movies, or music CDs, for all that matters.

nib95

Banned

You can, although it is against the ToS. But you can download the same game on as many systems as you like. I have mine on my laptop, PC, on the PC at my parents house etc. The beauty of it is that there's usually a PC or laptop in every household, I doubt that'll be the case with the XO.

Orca

It could if the game is DRM free (not using Steamworks/any other DRM). But I think he mainly means to redownload your game if you happen to build/buy a new PC.

You'll be able to download Xbox One games on as many consoles as you want too, so where's the difference there? You'd need to be logged in to play them on the other consoles though, but I think Steam games (outside the few that don't have DRM) are the same.

And you should absolutely feel free to point out any positives XB One has over Steam. I'll get the ball rolling.

You wouldn't let your 14 year old son use your Steam account as you may have M rated games on it, there's a filter on the XB One so you decide what he can play.
Trade-ins are the big current positive over Steam for XB1. Although as someone mentioned above, under EU law perhaps we will see a similar system on Steam in future (this would affect all digital services). I'd forgotten about that, interesting times ahead.

kamspy

Comes down to price of games for me.

If XBone and compete on pricing with Steam I won't have any gripes.

Now, my brother lives in a place where the only internet is expensive satellite with sub 1Mbps speeds. I guess he's not a target consumer.

JaggedSac

I wish people would stop suggesting that the Xbox One's new gaming management is essentially the same as Steam. It isn't. Hopefully we can use this thread to highlight just some of the reasons why.

---

Some of the differences between Steam and Xbox One.

- Steam isn't a closed platform. You don't need a particular box to use it.
- Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers. This is also the case with the XBone, just log in and download.
- Steam has far superior prices and sales. No prices have been revealed yet, certainly could be the case, or it could be similar.
- The basic RRP for a PC game is less than that of a console game, with Steam, usually cheaper.
- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs It appears XBone will be primarily digital, at least from a system and service design perspective.
- Steam allows for complete offline play. No check ins at all once a game is downloaded.

---

Just some clarifications in bold.

And there are some additional XBone differences, such as being able to sell and give games after activation.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm still not sure why people are comparing a digital store to XBone. Why do people make comparisons to Steam and not GOG? Is GOG not far superior to XBone if comparing it to a digital store makes any sense at all?

Salaadin

Not true, if you shop around. Green man gaming, Amazon, and eBay all have deals on steam games.. most of which get the game to 40 bucks or lower. I got tomb raider on launch for 35 and bioshock infinite for 30, for example

nib95

Banned
Just some clarifications in bold.

I don't agree with those. I guarantee the vast majority of it's software sales will be retail. With respect to pricing, right now PSN/XBL games have on average more expensive digital download versions than their cheaper physical retail counterparts, despite the massive cost savings on the digital side. You think this is going to change? It's a completely different situation with Steam games.

Also, is it confirmed the XO allows for unlimited downloads on different XO's? The main thing I was eluding to was unlimited downloads on any computer. As in, PC's, laptops etc to whichever households you routinely stay at or visit. Naturally the XO will be far less widespread.

Dmented

Banned
Things may change in the future with Steam. GabeN has talked about a more open Steam allowing users to basically do anything they want. Maybe even publishing any game they want on Steam. He talked about people being able to set up their own shops, with what I'm not sure of but it all sounds interesting.

Riky

$MSFT
Can't you only be in offline mode for a month on Steam? It then asks you to log back in.

MarkusRJR

I'm still not sure why people are comparing a digital store to XBone. Why do people make comparisons to Steam and not GOG? Is GOG not far superior to XBone if comparing it to a digital store makes any sense at all?
Yeah someone in this thread already said that game discs are just "physical codes" for digital distribution. Yeah, suuuuuuuure.

Xbone is physical, Steam is digital. That's why everyone is pissed at the weird restrictions on the Xbone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
steam itself is a closed platform. The PC is not of course.

The biggest differences between the two is the online check in period. Other than that, they are fairly similar. Prices of course are low on steam, but we don't know how Microsoft will price their stuff. And price honestly shouldn't really be a discussion point when talking about drm because even if the games are $1, the drm could still be the same. Unless of course people only care about DRM if the prices are high and if they are low they throw out all of the complaints about consumer rights.

nib95

Banned
Yeah someone in this thread already said that game discs are just "physical codes" for digital distribution. Yeah, suuuuuuuure.

Xbone is physical, Steam is digital. That's why everyone is pissed at the weird restrictions on the Xbone.

This. I just want the traditional methods associated with buying physical. Buying, trading, selling privately or otherwise, lending, borrowing etc, without headache or pitfalls.

Xbox One has physical and digital.
Steam has physical and digital.

eastmen

Banned
I wish people would stop suggesting that the Xbox One's new gaming management is essentially the same as Steam. It isn't. Hopefully we can use this thread to highlight just some of the reasons why.

---

Some of the differences between Steam and Xbox One.

Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
the xbox one works on any xbox one . Companies still have ultima online running 16 years after the fact. Because server costs become cheap with time

So does the one

- Steam has far superior prices and sales.
The one isn't out yet , so how do we know. Having real time sales and stats publishers can better adjust to market demands just like on steam. A company can see when a game hits it peak sales at a given price point and when to drop to the next price point. While with retail it can take months to get the data back and adjust

Only if your willing to wait. Bioshock infinite is still $60 on steam

- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs
xbox one allows me to buy a disc if I want that has the download already completed just like steam. That way I don't have to wait for a download

- Steam allows for complete offline play. No check ins at all once a game is downloaded.[/B]

---
This is about the only really different thing

I had to fix some things for you. A lot is assumptions or plain wrong.

Stitch

Gold Member
It's still DRM as you can't loan the game to a friend.

Well you could log into Steam on your friends PC, download the game that he wants and then set his Steam to offline mode but I'm sure no one would do this.... ◕ ◡ ◕

Can't you only be in offline mode for a month on Steam? It then asks you to log back in.

Nope, you can stay offline forever if you want.

Riky

$MSFT

I purchased Left 4 Dead 2 on DVD, how is that different?

pixlexic

Banned

i have a ton of physical PC games I bought on disc that are steam enabled. I cant trade those in... at all.

thefil

I really hate how people are coming out of the woodworks as Steam apologists. Steam does have comparable closed-platform policies to the Xbox One. If we are unsatisfied with those from Microsoft we should be universally so.

Now some people say it is prices that make the difference. That's pretty much the one justification I buy; that it's OK as long as you pay less for a transient, controlled experience.

If you think Steam isn't a closed, controlled, online-dependent platform, talk to people who have had their entire accounts and libraries revoked. The problem here is that the company has complete and final authority on what you can and cannot do with your software.

schuey7

From IGN "Xbox One will also allow you to give up to 10 family members access to "log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One." Similar to Xbox 360, "a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." So this is also a positive.Also I don't know if steam allows you to gift your old game to a friend.This could also be a positive.

JaggedSac

I don't agree with those. I guarantee the vast majority of it's software sales will be retail. With respect to pricing, right now PSN/XBL games have on average more expensive digital download versions than their cheaper physical retail counterparts, despite the massive cost savings on the digital side. You think this is going to change? It's a completely different situation with Steam games.

I think there is a very good chance. MS likes to mimic success. The success of Steam is a very real thing, and very easy to see thing. Why not try to mimic that? A box that sells more digital than retail would be to MS's benefit since they would be getting a larger cut.

Also, is it confirmed the XO allows for unlimited downloads on different XO's? The main thing I was eluding to was unlimited downloads on any computer. As in, PC's, laptops etc to whichever households you routinely stay at or visit. Naturally the XO will be far less widespread.

They certainly said you could login and download on any XO. I guess there could be some fine print that says, only on 5 different boxes or something like that. But with the need to check in online every hour on boxes that aren't the main one, I don't see why they would do that.

windu said:
And price honestly shouldn't really be a discussion point when talking about drm because even if the games are $1, the drm could still be the same. Unless of course people only care about DRM if the prices are high and if they are low they throw out all of the complaints about consumer rights.

I find this particular interesting around here.

holy crap you are wrong on almost all accounts.

- steam is a close service. You cant put your game on it unless approved like any other digital service
I run all my non Steam games (like Minecraft) through Steam.

- Your XBL account works on your pc ..windows phone .. and xbox one and 360.
Yet I can only play 360 games on my 360, XB One games on my XB One. I must be missing your point, sorry.

- you can log into any xbox 360 or xbox one and download your games.
Same as Steam. However I have to redownload on my home PC to play at home, so this is a good point.

Not true. I can only think of one game where I couldn't find a deal day one. (Skyrim)

- we have yet to see if steam type sales will appear.
This I doubt, as you're forced to buy digital XBox One games from publishers or MS only. No competition.

- steam allows offline play to certain titles dictated by the publisher and only if you enable the feature and have logged in recently on the same pc.
Oddly enough, I do all my PC gaming on my own PC. I do not need to log in to play after downloading and starting a game. Note: I do have to log in to Rockstar's Social club and Ubisoft's thing though, so you're partly correct on this one.

this is getting to be ridiculous.
True, the comparison should not keep coming up.

Ashes

Banned
They got closed not because there is a pro-steam agenda. But because its the same thread again and again.

The fundamental problem with Steam is that it doesn't let me sell games I own. They let me sell or trade items. But not let me sell games I own.

And whilst Xbox one is convoluted beyond measure. It does still allow you to sell games. At least the store bought ones anyway. Hardly worth it with the draconian DRM. But the opportunity is there.

it's a sad state of affairs that this thread is necessary.

Not thread whining here- just that this particular talking point (it's just the same as steam! so it's OK!) has become ridiculously common almost overnight, and it's completely nonsensical.

zychi

Banned
Saw this on reddit:
Lc26qBt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom