• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, please educate yourselves. This whole "just like steam" nonsense needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here's why,

- Consoles are an ~$400 investment you make on a hardware device with the sole purpose of playing games, and with XBL still need to pay an additional $50 a year on top to play online. Steam is not, and that includes playing online, voice chat, text chat, take screenshots, streaming (even if through 3rd party apps, is still free) or whatever the hell you want to do.
- Steam is a digital distribution platform. No one really expects to sell or trade in digital purchases, we use steam with that already in mind, however when I buy a freaking game console disc, no matter where I bought it, I sure as hell expect it to work.
- Games are cheaper, much cheaper. Even with these restrictions in places games won't be getting cheaper, and with the used game market about to be controlled, prices for those used games will go up, not down.
- Steam has sales that XBL/PSN will never be able to compete, ever. Bringing up the occasional XBL/PSN sale with more expensive prices isn't really a good rebuttal.
- Steam, being on PC, means games are open to free user generated content, aka modding, both through integrated or non integrated means.
- You can also install games on an infinite number of times in as many machines you want and it'll just work. No work required rather then just logging in. (Thanks eznark)
- Steam has also a guarantee for how long their services will be running. (Thanks Septimius)
- Steam doesn't foce DRM on you. There are more than hundred titles that work without the steam client. (Thanks moonstone)
- You can switch to DRM-free alternatives (or just alternatives) without the need to replace hardware. (Thanks kSt)
- "Backwards compatibility.", being a PC there's never the fear of everything you bought becoming unplayable come "next generation". (Thanks SparkTR)
- Steam improved and unified what was just going on an existing trend, Xbone is changing the status quo in consoles into something way worse. (Thanks KingSnake)
- You are not restricted to buying your steam content at the official steam store. You can go through many other online outlets such as amazon, green man gaming, gamefly etc. etc. The point being, all these different shops can compete, thus bringing the regular/sales prices down potentially lower. (Thanks Baleoce)
- Steam, even though it is primarily an online digital distribution platform, it still doesn't require you to login even every 24 hours. If my ISP goes down for 2 days, I can play all my games. If I take my laptop to the freaking woods, I can play all my games. Oh, and just because it didn't work for you for some unexpected reason, you still can't compare it to an actual intentional restriction. It was a malfunction, simple as that.
- Hats
- And fuck you I just bought Alan Wake, Trine, Trine 2, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2 for like 2€

I'm kidding about the fuck you part don't ban me

Now GAF, can we PLEASE stop using Steam as an escape goat and actually deal with the shit storm that's about to hit us in the console universe?

Septimius

Steam has also a guarantee for how long their services will be running.

EDIT: I can't find a source though. Could anyone help me?

It's astonishingly painful to see people constantly go back to the Steam thing as an argument. I barely use Steam at the moment because of my situation and even I know there is vast differences, it's insane.

You forgot one:

Steam does not require an ongoing membership fee to access the full extent of its features. Xbox One is going to literally make you pay to not be allowed to do things with your games. Welcome to the glorious connected future.

Your internet goes out for a week, you can't play your Xbox but you still gotta pay for XBL.

Nibel

Every sane person on GAF knows that; the people who say that it's like Steam are a minority

And GAF is not a hivemind dammit, I'm an individual with feelings and dreams

abunai

The thing that bugs me about the steam comparisons is that people are comparing an optional service to a mandatory one. You can't go and buy from another retailer or service on the XB1, it is microsoft (or retailers they approve) or nothing. You have choice on the PC, and you can choose to game without steam. There's the increase in steamworks only games which I hate, but they are not incredibly numerous as of this point in time.

Not that steam is as bad to begin with, you can be offline forever (my laptop has not been online in 6 months - broken wifi - yet steam games still work) and the aforementioned ability to choose your distributor means that competition decreases prices more than will ever happen on a literally closed system such as XB1.

Goldmund

I'd rather have them keep such an easily refutable straw man than give them a reason to think of a cunning and casuistic argument which they then possibly come up with.

Moonstone

- Steam doesn't foce DRM on you. There are more than hundred titles that work without the steam client. TBH these are mostly indie games or older ones.

kSt

Also, you can switch to DRM-free alternatives (or just alternatives) without the need to replace hardware.

nkarafo

Steam is also on the PC. The PC is an open platform. Even if something happens and you can't play your games, there is always a way to fix them using other, unofficial methods.

kitsuneyo

Great post, I've only used Steam a few times so you did actually educate me.

Wow Xbox One really is taking the piss isn't it.

linkboy

I only signed up for Steam to get the Ys games (mega shout-out to XSEED for porting those over) and I was still able to access those games while I was deployed to Afghanistan with out an internet connect.

I know MS has said that they're keeping deployed soldiers in mind, but I highly doubt that.

And here's why,

- Consoles are an ~$400 investment you make on a hardware device with the sole purpose of playing games, and with XBL still need to pay an additional $50 a year on top to play online. Steam is not, and that includes playing online, voice chat, text chat, take screenshots, streaming (even if through 3rd party apps, is still free) or whatever the hell you want to do.
- Steam is a digital distribution platform. No one really expects to sell or trade in digital purchases, we use steam with that already in mind, however when I buy a freaking game console disc, no matter where I bought it, I sure as hell expect it to work.
- Games are cheaper, much cheaper. Even with these restrictions in places games won't be getting cheaper, and with the used game market about to be controlled, prices for those used games will go up, not down.
- Steam has sales that XBL/PSN will never be able to compete, ever. Bringing up the occasional XBL/PSN sale with more expensive prices isn't really a good rebuttal.
- Steam, being on PC, means games are open to free user generated content, aka modding, both through integrated or non integrated means.
- You can also install games on an infinite number of times in as many machines you want and it'll just work. No work required rather then just logging in. (Thanks eznark)
- Steam has also a guarantee for how long their services will be running. (Thanks Septimius)
- Steam doesn't foce DRM on you. There are more than hundred titles that work without the steam client. (Thanks moonstone)
- You can switch to DRM-free alternatives (or just alternatives) without the need to replace hardware. (Thanks kSt)
- Steam, even though it is primarily an online digital distribution platform, it still doesn't require you to login even every 24 hours. If my ISP goes down for 2 days, I can play all my games. If I take my laptop to the freaking woods, I can play all my games. Oh, and just because it didn't work for you for some unexpected reason, you still can't compare it to an actual intentional restriction. It was a malfunction, simple as that.
- Hats
- And fuck you I just bought Alan Wake, Trine, Trine 2, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2 for like 2€

I'm kidding about the fuck you part don't ban me

Now GAF, can we PLEASE stop using Steam as an escape goat and actually deal with the shit storm that's about to hit us in the console universe?

All what is needed to say.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
The amount of times this was brought up in the next gen console threads was disheartening. I'm happy there's a centralised thread that contains this information. Nice work OP. I guess there's still a bit of confusion regarding PC gaming in the console centric crowd.

Ocaso

I imagine this has been said before on those other threads mentioned, but only your first point is valid. Even then, Steam requires a PC, obviously, so some investment is necessary as well.

Games are every bit as expensive on Steam. The fact that they go on sale frequently doesn't change that they cost the same at launch as they do in retail. Boxed games that activate online have been a staple of PC for years. MS is trying to do the same. It is like Steam, only with proprietary hardware (which admittedly is a big deal), and different access rules that can change at any time on either service.

I really think people should just drop what Gabe said about a so-called "emergency button" if Steam goes down. The idea just isn't believable. I don't see Steam having a clause in their contracts with publishers requiring that an emergency button would work in case Steam exits the industry. Do you honestly believe Activision, Ubisoft, etc would agree to let them have a DRM-free copies?

"Literally" more then 24 hours ago for one of them and less then 3.

Seriously though, sad to seem them getting locked just after 1 or 2 pages without an explanation. Explains why I didn't see them.

your right its not just like steam, xbox allows you to gift your played game to a friend.

Yes it does. And that makes it all better right?

Even though it's a one time transfer and then your friend is stuck with it even though you already paid full price for it and should be able to do with it whatever the hell you want.

StuBurns

Banned

rjcc

ignoring the rest of the entirely arbitrary stuff....what?

you can see the future?

what will be for sale this week on Xbox Live in 2014, also what are that week's lottery numbers?

you're an individual... just like everybody else
ibw4OvOZbd5sFJ.jpg

The problem is that the shills are only using the "Bu-bu-but Stream!" line as a misdirection tactic. I think most people who post on GAF already know all this.

Rich!

Dude. I want an escape goat.

sounds like the recipe for a hilarious heist movie. Maybe set in Iraq.

Chinner

Banned
does steam allow any of your friends or family at your home to play any game on your pc at any time?

this is a killer feature of the Xbox one.

Hedja

While not all comparisons are warranted, the used games one is.

I remember buying L4D2 at retail thinking it comes with something substantial. It was a disc and a piece of paper with a Steam code on it. I didn't like L4D2 but I'm stuck with it. Any other platform and I would've been able to sell it (I knew someone that wanted it). That paper is now useless and so is the disc.

To say it's acceptable that Steam restrict its users with used games because "we" expect it to be restrictive is just stupid.

However, PC has been like that since forever. I simply don't want consoles to follow in those footsteps. It's one of their few appeals left.

linkboy

I really think people should just drop what Gabe said about a so-called "emergency button" if Steam goes down. The idea just isn't believable. I don't see Steam having a clause in their contracts with publishers requiring that an emergency button would work in case Steam exits the industry.

Valve could easily do that with just their games and even if that doesn't happen, you still have the option (if you so choose to use it) to crack the DRM (illegal as it may be, the option is still there) to continue to play your games.

You don't have that option with the Xbox. MS kills the servers when Xbox Two comes out and bam, all your games are gone.

rjcc

Valve could easily do that with just their games and even if that doesn't happen, you still have the option (if you so choose to use it) to crack the DRM (illegal as it may be, the option is still there) to continue to play your games.

You don't have that option with the Xbox. MS kills the servers when Xbox Two comes out and bam, all your games are gone.

which sounds totally likely, because it would sell lots of Xbox Twos.

wait, that's pretty much the opposite of what it would do and wouldn't make any sense at all for a business trying to make a profit.

SparkTR

Also backwards compatibility. Provided Valve HQ doesn't explode I can play my Steam games in 2020 on my high end Steambox 3 ™. The way that Microsoft (and Sony) completely disregarded their previous platforms ("If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards" WHAT THE FUCK) makes me never want to build a digital library on their platform. I have no confidence my digital games will be around once next-next gen hits.

Did you take an asshole pill this morning? Mocking my use of literally based on a different poster's response? Classy.

You jumped on me, not the other way around. Chill.

ignoring the rest of the entirely arbitrary stuff....what?

you can see the future?

what will be for sale this week on Xbox Live in 2014, also what are that week's lottery numbers?

One does not have to see the future to know that things like that just won't change. Are you really expecting console games to become cheaper, and there for have cheaper sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom