• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, please educate yourselves. This whole "just like steam" nonsense needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

If people are comparing to the Steam is just silly. Every System have good and bad things in it, nothing is perfect.

I'm not sure but there is also some games that have a limit number of activations right? I was asking about this to another fellow GAFfer, there are games that you can only activate on a different machine "x" number of times.

Even if Steam forced DRM policy in a much more fierce way the prices would still make up for it when they drop -75% in a short time, also since the day Steam was created people knew it was a Digital service with no option to sell a game they bought. Many people are upset because they might be new to the concept and really dislike it on consoles, which I can see why but I also do agree that some GAFfers need to calm down, chill, grab a tea and wait a bit more for E3. I can't wait for my PS4, at least.

Clefargle

#escapegoat

But yeah, agreed. Those who equate what Valve has done with what MS is trying to pull off are dishonest sleazy grease peddlers..

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
And a Granny Smith is so much different then a Golden Delicious. They are both apples...

Ocaso

Valve could easily do that with just their games and even if that doesn't happen, you still have the option (if you so choose to use it) to crack the DRM (illegal as it may be, the option is still there) to continue to play your games.

You don't have that option with the Xbox. MS kills the servers when Xbox Two comes out and bam, all your games are gone.

Unless you've downloaded and backed up every game on Steam you own, you WILL lose access if Steam goes down. That piracy can "fix" this is no recourse.

nkarafo

Also backwards compatibility. Provided Valve HQ doesn't explode I can play my Steam games in 2020 on my high end Steambox 3 ™
You can still play your games even if Valve explodes. The usage of cracks is not immoral (i'm not sure if it will be still legal) because you bought those games anyway.

Unless you've downloaded and backed up every game on Steam you own, you WILL lose access if Steam goes down. That piracy can "fix" this is no recourse.
Its an option. At least you can do something to preserve your collection.

ibw4OvOZbd5sFJ.jpg

He's not the messiah...he's a very naughty boy!

Maybe the fourth time, one of them I was referring to was called something like 'XBO = Steam'.

Durante had a thread on the subject - I think that was called 'XBO = Steam'. It got locked. Like many many other threads yesterday.

Edit: beaten like DRM

Digoman

As a Junior I should probably stay away from these threads, but all the comparisons are getting a little on my nerves.

Yes, there are similarities, as with any digital distribution services. But the argument should start and stop on the point "it's a open platform". I don't *have* to use Steam to play games on my hardware. Some games may require it, but that's the publisher option. The "best" example is EA. They didn't agree with Steam terms, and set up their own shop.

The short of it is: If Valve screw up, we can move somewhere else without buying new hardware. We have options. So do the developers.

Also... let's assume for a moment that Steam is just as bad. What kind of argument is it anyway: "hey... Valve screws your rights, so it's okay for MS to do it too".

While not all comparisons are warranted, the used games one is.

I remember buying L4D2 at retail thinking it comes with something substantial. It was a disc and a piece of paper with a Steam code on it. I didn't like L4D2 but I'm stuck with it. Any other platform and I would've been able to sell it (I knew someone that wanted it). That paper is now useless and so is the disc.

To say it's acceptable that Steam restrict its users with used games because "we" expect it to be restrictive is just stupid.

However, PC has been like that since forever. I simply don't want consoles to follow in those footsteps. It's one of their few appeals left.

lol no

Steam is a digital distribution service, as of now you can't sell your digital media anywhere weither it's be Steam, PSN, iOS or whatever. Until selling your digital media become an option there is no point in arguing otherwise.

P44

I think steam is what I'd ideally like these systems to be like in practice. Yes, publishers can lock down their game a little, but as a result, I get my games significantly cheaper. In reality, on the console side, this won't happen, of that I am fairly sure.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope this doesn't get locked, every Xbone thread is derailed by this Steam comparison.

I add to the topic:
-Steam is/was better than the existing DRM alternatives on the PC. And it help keeping the PC games alive. It was a slow implementation and the people were not happy with it either.
- If you don't like PC's DRM you have now the option of buying games on the consoles. If PS4 implements also the kind of DRM Microsoft wants you will have only Wii U as alternative in couple of years.
- Steam was just going on an existing trend, Xbone is changing the status quo in consoles into something way worse.

Baleoce

Apologies if it's already been said/I missed it, but another point:

You are not restricted to buying your steam content at the official steam store. You can go through many other online outlets such as amazon, green man gaming, gamefly etc. etc. The point being, all these different shops can compete, thus bringing the regular/sales prices down potentially lower.

rjcc

One does not have to see the future to know that things like that just won't change. Are you really expecting console games to become cheaper, and there for have cheaper sales?

Actually, you do have to be able to see the future to say that.

An entirely different marketplace for digital games changes things.

I expect exactly that to happen, not because I think Microsoft is some great company, but because they like making money, just like Valve.

Whatever assumption you're making is being stated here as fact, which isn't how assumptions work. Unless you can actually see the future of course.

MrKaepora

I would add one more thing about steam:
- The game that was made for windows XP it's still playable in Windows 8. Plus, steam has support for Mac and Linux.
All that talk about "nintendo doesn't have a unified account system" and in the end it was nintendo that let gamers keep their digital library of games from one generation to the other. Bought some digital games on 360? You better keep the console because there's no way you can play those games with the One.

Also, let's not forget the amazing community that PC has. When someone has a problem with a game, usually there's someone out there looking for a solution. Who can forget Durante and his Dark Souls fix. We can't have this on a console, instead we have to wait for a publisher to recognise a problem and then wait for it to get fix (if it's ever fix).

linkboy

which sounds totally likely, because it would sell lots of Xbox Twos.

wait, that's pretty much the opposite of what it would do and wouldn't make any sense at all for a business trying to make a profit.

And yet MS went and made a console that is the most restrictive console, in regards to what you can do with the games.

I wouldn't put it passed MS or a company like EA (especially EA) to pull shit like this, hell EA pretty much does it right now with on-line servers for certain games.

eznark

Banned
does steam allow any of your friends or family at your home to play any game on your pc at any time?

this is a killer feature of the Xbox one.

Unlike Xbox one you can share your entire games library with an infinite number of people. Like Xbox one, only one person can access that library at a time.

Snubbers

It's obvious what the difference is between steam and Xb1 DRM, but people need to educate themselves into realising steam is still a fucking highly restricted DRM system that fucks all over the same scale of consumer rights people are crowing about..

if you want to think sacrificing the ability to trade or sell your game somehow is ok because of tenuous other benefits is radically different to MSs shitty DRM, you are being very naive..

Enco

- Steam is a digital distribution platform. No one really expects to sell or trade in digital purchases, we use steam with that already in mind, however when I buy a freaking game console disc, no matter where I bought it, I sure as hell expect it to work.
Why not change expectations? You can buy a PC game on disk and not be able to trade it in either. I guess you could never do it on PC so it's not shocking but since you could previously do it on consoles, the change is even worse. However, I don't see this as a good point.

- Games are cheaper, much cheaper. Even with these restrictions in places games won't be getting cheaper, and with the used game market about to be controlled, prices for those used games will go up, not down.
- Steam has sales that XBL/PSN will never be able to compete, ever. Bringing up the occasional XBL/PSN sale with more expensive prices isn't really a good rebuttal.
This is probably the best selling point. Instead of trading games in or giving it to a friend, you can just buy games for little to nothing.

- Steam, being on PC, means games are open to free user generated content, aka modding, both through integrated or non integrated means.
This has always been a plus for PC over console. Nothing specific to next gen DRM.

- You can also install games on an infinite number of times in as many machines you want and it'll just work. No work required rather then just logging in. (Thanks eznark)
Can't you do that on XBone? Steam doesn't let you share games and many games have DRM on Steam that limit you to 3-5 machines only.

- Steam has also a guarantee for how long their services will be running. (Thanks Septimius)
Not really. It's for sure more likely to last longer than consoles but you can't guarantee this. This is an issue for both platforms.

- Steam doesn't foce DRM on you. There are more than hundred titles that work without the steam client. (Thanks moonstone)
What? Steam IS DRM. Some games have another layer of shitty DRM too. GFWL? UbisoftPlay? SecuROM? Only 3 downloads? Only 5 machines? You have GOG and other DRM free sources but generally DRM is awful on PC. edit: ah I think I get it. Sure some games are DRM free but very few and no big ones.

- You can switch to DRM-free alternatives (or just alternatives) without the need to replace hardware. (Thanks kSt)
True

- "Backwards compatibility.", being a PC there's never the fear of everything you bought becoming unplayable come "next generation". (Thanks SparkTR)
True. This has always been the case though and it's not specific to XBone.

- Steam, even though it is primarily an online digital distribution platform, it still doesn't require you to login even every 24 hours. If my ISP goes down for 2 days, I can play all my games. If I take my laptop to the freaking woods, I can play all my games. Oh, and just because it didn't work for you for some unexpected reason, you still can't compare it to an actual intentional restriction. It was a malfunction, simple as that.
I don't care if it's a malfunction or what. Steam offline is garbage. Complete and utter garbage.

- Hats
Yes.

- And fuck you I just bought Alan Wake, Trine, Trine 2, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2 for like 2€
Also yes

I'll never leave Steam or PC for anything else

harSon

Banned
It's not exactly the same obviously, but it is a closed DRM ridden service. The fact that its on an open platform with alternatives, contains competitive prices, doesn't have forced online, is free (both as a service and its scalability on a purely game basis) and is open to modding doesn't change that fact. It certainly makes that fact infinitely easier to stomach, but it doesn't change it. At the end of the day, the gaming community's overwhelming embracing of Steam is the catalyst that convinced Microsoft and Publishers that a forced DRM console could be a conceivable venture within the current gaming landscape. Their logic is certainly misguided, and glosses over a lot of what makes Steam great, but if services like Steam and iOS weren't such widely embraced juggernauts within their respective circles, I honestly don't think Xbox One in its current form would exist.

Zoc

Another thing is that the lack or resaleability, buying used, and lending games is the worst thing about it, almost bad enough that I don't want to use it at all, and still bad enough that I wouldn't ever buy anything on it for more than about $25-30.

It's all the other things about it that are good that balance out the badness. I have yet to see anything from MS to balance out the badness.

Ryuuga

Banned
a.baa-goat-on-the-motorcycle.jpg

Though I agree. The number one reason for me is that there is always an alternative. Remember all the fuss people kicked up over having to use ORIGIN in order to play certain EA games, complained about their policies and even their intrusive peripheral datamining software embedded within? Think about that if you're up at the counter about to purchase an Xbox One. You're not purchasing a console that accommodates both retail and digital, this box caters primarily to the digital distribution method.

koji kabuto

And here's why,

- Consoles are an ~$400 investment you make on a hardware device with the sole purpose of playing games, and with XBL still need to pay an additional $50 a year on top to play online. Steam is not, and that includes playing online, voice chat, text chat, take screenshots, streaming (even if through 3rd party apps, is still free) or whatever the hell you want to do.
- Steam is a digital distribution platform. No one really expects to sell or trade in digital purchases, we use steam with that already in mind, however when I buy a freaking game console disc, no matter where I bought it, I sure as hell expect it to work.
- Games are cheaper, much cheaper. Even with these restrictions in places games won't be getting cheaper, and with the used game market about to be controlled, prices for those used games will go up, not down.
- Steam has sales that XBL/PSN will never be able to compete, ever. Bringing up the occasional XBL/PSN sale with more expensive prices isn't really a good rebuttal.
- Steam, being on PC, means games are open to free user generated content, aka modding, both through integrated or non integrated means.
- You can also install games on an infinite number of times in as many machines you want and it'll just work. No work required rather then just logging in. (Thanks eznark)
- Steam has also a guarantee for how long their services will be running. (Thanks Septimius)
- Steam doesn't foce DRM on you. There are more than hundred titles that work without the steam client. (Thanks moonstone)
- You can switch to DRM-free alternatives (or just alternatives) without the need to replace hardware. (Thanks kSt)
- "Backwards compatibility.", being a PC there's never the fear of everything you bought becoming unplayable come "next generation". (Thanks SparkTR)
- Steam improved and unified what was just going on an existing trend, Xbone is changing the status quo in consoles into something way worse. (Thanks KingSnake)
- You are not restricted to buying your steam content at the official steam store. You can go through many other online outlets such as amazon, green man gaming, gamefly etc. etc. The point being, all these different shops can compete, thus bringing the regular/sales prices down potentially lower. (Thanks Baleoce)
- Steam, even though it is primarily an online digital distribution platform, it still doesn't require you to login even every 24 hours. If my ISP goes down for 2 days, I can play all my games. If I take my laptop to the freaking woods, I can play all my games. Oh, and just because it didn't work for you for some unexpected reason, you still can't compare it to an actual intentional restriction. It was a malfunction, simple as that.
- Hats
- And fuck you I just bought Alan Wake, Trine, Trine 2, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2 for like 2€

I'm kidding about the fuck you part don't ban me

Now GAF, can we PLEASE stop using Steam as an escape goat and actually deal with the shit storm that's about to hit us in the console universe?

Excellent 
gf9Po.gif

The greatest thing about Steam and probably the smartest thing about Valve is that it takes away the need to buy second hand because it goes below the price of used games.

They understand, unlike Microsoft and the like, that most gamers really don't have that much money to spend, so Steam simply provides the most bang for their buck and keeps its customers happy by catering to them and respecting feedback.

When Steam gives me a "license" to be able to play a game, anywhere, on- or offline, for as long as the company exists, I'm fine with it. And should Valve ever go down, I'll still own most of those games. HDD sizes in the future makes it possible to have all games you own installed at the same time and most of those work without steam, or can be made to work without steam.

When i buy a "console", which used to literally mean "box that plays games on a TV", i expect the games that i "own", that i put in the "console", to work when i do so...on a TV.

The Xbox One isn't worthy of the title "console", because it isn't. It's an online-driven media-centre. Gaming isn't even close to being its primary functionality, in fact it seems like it's going to be a terrible experience. It's meant to be the household's central device, that never moves. Kind of like a Full Tower PC that's nearly impossible to move, only in its functionalities.

syllogism

Right, so it's about the value proposition rather than about the rights consumers perceive that they have or, more correctly, opposition to the ever growing copyright regime. The buyer wants more value, the seller wants to give less.

Not sure about everybody else but when I say "its just like steam", its in reference to having to activate your game with a cdkey/license.

Why not change expectations? You can buy a PC game on disk and not be able to trade it in either. I guess you could never do it on PC so it's not shocking but since you could previously do it on consoles, the change is even worse. However, I don't see this as a good point.

While true, buying a Steam game disc clearly states the game will need the steam platform to activate it. Non steam games you can trade it with no problem, but it's always a risk because they might have just kept the CDKey for themselvs.

This has always been a plus for PC over console. Nothing specific to next gen DRM.
This thread isn't just about DRM. Steam is integrating this into it's own service, actively making more free content available to users, while in consoles, they actively stop this and force publishers to charge for DLC.

Can't you do that on XBone? Steam doesn't let you share games and many games have DRM on Steam that limit you to 3-5 machines only.
This isn't just about XB1, PS3 doesn't let you do this for example. And you can share your account, although I think that's against the EULA.

What? This confuses me. Steam IS DRM. Some games have another layer of shitty DRM too. GFWL? UbisoftPlay? SecuROM? Only 3 downloads? Only 5 machines? You have GOG and other DRM free sources but generally DRM is awful on PC.
Steam is not DRM, you can play many games you downloaded from steam without even running the Steam client. Yes some games have aditional DRM on top, but that has nothing to do with Valve or Steam.

I don't care if it's a malfunction or what. Steam offline is garbage. Complete and utter garbage.
When was the last time you actually tried it?

Most of your posts seem to assume I'm talking solely about the X1, I'm not, it's the console universe in general that's about to change, and that's is kinda the problem.

IrishNinja

i like to give most gaffers the benefit of not being dumb enough to conflate these two things, and generally assume the argument is made by people who simply don't know how steam works, or are astroturfing.

still, here we are.

Hrothgar

The greatest thing about Steam and probably the smartest thing about Valve is that it takes away the need to buy second hand because it goes below the price of used games.

There never really has been a second hand game market on the PC, even long before Steam became popular. So while low sale prices are nice (Steam prices at launch are often higher then retail prices), it doesn't do much towards taking away a need that has not really existed since the 90s.

m0t0k1

It isn't like steam. But i think what people are trying to say is that when you go to a gamestore and buy a game with steamworks on it. It is the same that you buy a disc but you don't own any of the contents. it is just a license to play the game. Also you pay the price of the game store so mostly you don't get good sales on it.

edit: also you cant sell your disc anymore even though you own the disc it is useless.

Leonsito

Lot of valid points, but the "steam has great sales and lower prices" talk is stupid, it's like "DRM and rights taken away from me is okay if the price is right".

Let's not forget that Steam is a DRM itself too.

Personally I'm happy that this thread exists. This information needs to get to as many people as possible.

GAF, with great power comes great responsibility.
Joke. Kind of.

What people here seems to forget is that Steam is not comparable to consoles at all in the essence.

Steam is a digital service that sells digital goods just like PSN or XBL, can you sell your games on PSN, iOS or XBL? Of course not it's a digital service.

A video games console on the other hand is a physical box that is supposed to play physical media just like a VCR or a DVD player, If I can sell my DVD collection then why I can't sell my X1 games too?

tl; dr: Steam =/= Xbone

I don't think any reasonable person would claim that Xbox One was "just like Steam", they both have their idiosyncrasies, their good and bad sides. However, when it comes to DRM aspects that are the point of contention, they do appear to be quite similar on the fundamental level - again, with some differences separating the two approaches. Making a detailed comparison at this point, however, is an exercise in pointlessness; we have an established service that has had almost a decade to mature on one side, and a platform that hasn't even been entirely explained, let alone launched, on the other.

Lot of valid points, but the "steam has great sales and lower prices" talk is stupid, it's like "DRM and rights taken away from me is okay if the price is right".

Let's not forget that Steam is a DRM itself too.

This is a good point - I think one of the major sticking points about Xbox One is that because when we buy Steam games, we understand quite clearly that we're buying the game for Steam - a digital platform.

The history of consoles, where we buy a physical disc that contains the game, doesn't have DRM can be passed on, resold etc. means that many people who walk into Xbox One without any clue as to how this has changed.

AzerPhire

I don't think anyone is saying X1 is exactly like Steam but there are similarities.

-X1 is a digital distribution system like Steam, Origin, iTunes, etc. Retail games act exactly like Steam retail games, the key ties the game to your account and the disk is just a means for install so that you do not have to download the whole game

-With regards to choice I think you guys have it wrong. If I want to play an EA game or even a Valve title I have to use their service no ifs ands or butts. That is the same with the X1, if I want to play the next Halo guess what? I need to have the Xbox.

-Saying you don't have to buy your games through Steam and get them elsewhere like Amazon is again very silly. X1 games will be sold at retail where there are frequent sales on new games. Arkham Asylum was $40 day 1 at Canadian Wal-Marts and I was able ot get Gears Judgement, God of War and Monster Hunter 3 WiiU as a buy two get one free within 2 weeks of their release. Sales exist for retail games and we don't know what they will do with digital sales yet.

I agree that Steam handles stuff like online check ins (By not doing it) and backwards compatibility (Won't comment on this but it is a silly comparison) better but you can't deny what MS is attempting to do is create a digital distribution like Steam but is built for consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom