• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Hawk269

More Xbox One X marketing for tomorrow ...

GIpBccH.gif

Weird. I saw that 2 days ago when I was on Facebook. Regardless, seems MS is starting up the marketing engine. It is going to get crazy soon.

Jaraghan

I'm still on the fence about this. I guess it really depends on what my local EB Games has for a trade in offer for the X1S.

Because this beast is going to set me back $650 in Canada. My dad owns a 4k HDR TV, so I will definitely get the most out of this machine. That Forza 7 article got me excited to play it, and I am not a fan of racing games.

HooYaH

I'm still on the fence about this. I guess it really depends on what my local EB Games has for a trade in offer for the X1S.

Because this beast is going to set me back $650 in Canada. My dad owns a 4k HDR TV, so I will definitely get the most out of this machine. That Forza 7 article got me excited to play it, and I am not a fan of racing games.

If you're not a fan of racing games, you should just buy Forza Horizon. It's more arcadey and cheaper plus it is also getting an X patch. If you like playing that then go for F7.

My "pc master race" friends said it's a very good deal for 500 because it is.
I'm no "pc master race" guy but I do have a pretty powerful gaming PC. I can tell you as well that this is an excellent deal. I also work closely in the GPU tech Industry.

I often laugh when reading Gaf messages that say they don't see the value.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait how come they haven’t mentioned anything about faster disc installations, or have I missed it?
I plan to do a fresh install for my library when I get it, they better have made the installations as fast as they are on PlayStation.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

I jusant sold my Xbox One S(2tb model) on Kijiji for 340$. I think I've seen 500gb models go for as low as 250$ but it's most likely better than what engames will offer anyway. The sale of my 1S will cover half the 1X, not bad at all!

Lom1lo

Wait how come they haven’t mentioned anything about faster disc installations, or have I missed it?
I plan to do a fresh install for my library when I get it, they better have made the installations as fast as they are on PlayStation.

you can plug an external in and move everything at once, should be faster then installing everything new

Colbert

Banned
Wait how come they haven't mentioned anything about faster disc installations, or have I missed it?

Instead of making a fresh installation I recommend to use the new Copy/Move feature of the new UI that allows you to do it in one batch!

Jaraghan

If you're not a fan of racing games, you should just buy Forza Horizon. It's more arcadey and cheaper plus it is also getting an X patch. If you like playing that then go for F7.
Yeah FH3 was on my radar for a bit. Game looks stunning, and I like the open world aspect of it more than a closed circuit. If it gets a X1 patch, I'll probably buy that first.

etta

my hard graphic balls
you can plug an external in and move everything at once, should be faster then installing everything new

Instead of making a fresh installation I recommend to use the new Copy/Move feature of the new UI that allows you to do it in one batch!
No I want fresh installs because it’s how I always treat new hardware and OS updates.
Gotta have that fresh defrag for best performance.

Lom1lo

No I want fresh installs because it’s how I always treat new hardware and OS updates.

okay well then have fun with the slow installs I guess :D My advice: disconnect your xbox from the internet -> install the games. That was faster for me back then

Colbert

Banned
No I want fresh installs because it's how I always treat new hardware and OS updates.

You get that defrag with the copy too as you install on a fresh disk. Its not so that it would copy sector by sector like a cloning software. The batch copy is copying game by game, it just eliminates the steps to do it manually game by game.

Edit:
Btw doing a fresh install from disk would cause more defrag than the copy method as you need to re-download all patches for the games. With the batch copy/move you avoid this and all data is copied in sequence!

Hawk269

Is this in the current beta version or available to everyone right now? I would love to do it as a batch. Last time I tried I had to go to each game, use the move, then go to the next game and do the same over and over and made a que but if there is a way to just tag all the games I want to move and tell it the destination that would be so much easier.

Colbert

Banned
Is this in the current beta version or available to everyone right now? I would love to do it as a batch. Last time I tried I had to go to each game, use the move, then go to the next game and do the same over and over and made a que but if there is a way to just tag all the games I want to move and tell it the destination that would be so much easier.

Only available with the preview. But will be available to all by console launch or shortly before it. Don't remember the exact date of the next fall update but it is earlier than 7th November iirc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You get that defrag with the copy too as you install on a fresh disk. Its not so that it would copy sector by sector like a cloning software. The batch copy is copying game by game, it just eliminates the steps to do it manually game by game.

Edit:
Btw doing a fresh install from disk would cause more defrag than the copy method as you need to re-download all patches for the games. With the batch copy/move you avoid this and all data is copied in sequence!

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe I'll do that then.
But faster disc installation is still obviously an important thing for them to fix, it's kinda worrying that they haven't mentioned anything about it. How expensive can that separate processor be? I doubt it's pricier than the network or audio chip.

Hawk269

Only available with the preview. But will be available to all by console launch or shortly before it. Don't remember the exact date of the next fall update but it is earlier than 7th November iirc.

Cool. Thanks! It is such a missed feature. Right now I have moved everything from my internal 2TB dive to my 5TB external and most commonly played games are on my 512gb SSD.

I hope there is more a tech dive into the Xbox One X. I want to know if it is just the internal drive and how it is connected that gives it the 50% faster load times or if it would also be external HDD's and if so wonder how more beneficial a SSD will be. I have a spare 1TB SSD in my gaming rig that I can remove and use it on the Xbox One X to along with my 5tb external. But I also have my eye on that fancy new 8tb drive, just wish it would come in black like the Xbox One X. I could use the extra USB ports.

EvB

If you move something from one HDD to another, you don’t take framentation with you.

It will make zero difference whether you download an Xbox app or copy it from another drive as to how much it fragments.

Colbert

Banned
But faster disc installation is still obviously an important thing for them to fix, it's kinda worrying that they haven't mentioned anything about it. How expensive can that separate processor be? I doubt it's pricier than the network or audio chip.

I don't think the install time of a game is very different on a PS4 or Xbox One but what is surely different that you can start and play a game faster on a PS4 while installing than on Xbox One.

That won't change lot even with the Xbox One X as the above described behavior is heavily dependent how the game data is organized on the disk and not so much on drive or disk speeds. It will only change for newer games if Xbox has changed how those disks can be organized which is a matter of the copy-protection in place I suppose.

Another reason to be 100% digital as I am.

Edit:
Btw you will need an external drive for the copy as I don't think you will be able to copy from console to console!

Hawk269

You confuse me etta. lol. In one thread you seem disenchanted about the system, then you post that you are going to get it, but if does not suit your fancy you will sell it even at a loss, but then in this thread you want to do fresh installs to have a questionable/marginable improvement for load times, yet the specs indicate for gaming graphics/performance that it will be a substantial improvement for gaming. It is like you are all over the place.

Just a little jab and poking fun man, so please don't take it as offensive...but it has been amusing reading some of your posts about the Xbox One X and how you want to go through the trouble of doing fresh installs. It is just all over the place. ::)) Said with Love!!!

EvB

Cool. Thanks! It is such a missed feature. Right now I have moved everything from my internal 2TB dive to my 5TB external and most commonly played games are on my 512gb SSD.

I hope there is more a tech dive into the Xbox One X. I want to know if it is just the internal drive and how it is connected that gives it the 50% faster load times or if it would also be external HDD's and if so wonder how more beneficial a SSD will be. I have a spare 1TB SSD in my gaming rig that I can remove and use it on the Xbox One X to along with my 5tb external. But I also have my eye on that fancy new 8tb drive, just wish it would come in black like the Xbox One X. I could use the extra USB ports.

Isn’t it simply a 7200rpm drive, which is 50% faster than the 5400rpm drives the standard machines use?

Hawk269

Isn’t it simply a 7200rpm drive, which is 50% faster than the 5400rpm drives the standard machines use?

I don't know. That is why I am hoping for a deep dive into specs. I know that my external HDD loads games faster than the internal and my SSD is slightly faster (not by much) over the external HDD, which means it is not using the speed that the SSD can offer like on a PC. If they improved some things where if you have a SSD and it takes advantage of it that would be great.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You confuse me etta. lol. In one thread you seem disenchanted about the system, then you post that you are going to get it, but if does not suit your fancy you will sell it even at a loss, but then in this thread you want to do fresh installs to have a questionable/marginable improvement for load times, yet the specs indicate for gaming graphics/performance that it will be a substantial improvement for gaming. It is like you are all over the place.

Just a little jab and poking fun man, so please don't take it as offensive...but it has been amusing reading some of your posts about the Xbox One X and how you want to go through the trouble of doing fresh installs. It is just all over the place. ::)) Said with Love!!!

Eh??

I am disappointed with the system, but I'll still get it and keep it because I can't do PlayStation as a primary console. And for every major OS release or when I get new hardware, I always do fresh installs of everything. I don't keep any old program files, just documents and media.

Colbert

Banned

I am not sure if it is simply a 7200rpm drive. Alternatively they could use SATA3, they also could use internal usb3.0 for that which is faster than SATA2 they use in the current Xbox Ones (5gbps > 3gbps).

We will see when FixIt! will release their report of deconstruction of the console!

Hawk269

Eh??

I am disappointed with the system, but I'll still get it and keep it because I can't do PlayStation as a primary console. And for every major OS release or when I get new hardware, I always do fresh installs of everything. I don't keep any old program files, just documents and media.

I apologize Etta, I might have confused you with someone else then. Clearly if you are saying "eh?" to that part, I must have confused you with someone else. As I said, was just poking fun, but sorry for the confusion with that part.

Hawk269

I am not sure if it is simply a 7200rpm drive. Alternatively they could use SATA3, they also could use internal usb3.0 for that which is faster than SATA2 they use in the current Xbox Ones (5gbps > 3gbps).

We will see when FixIt! will release their report of deconstruction of the console!

Hopefully, MS partners with DF for a deep dive to get this information out. I too think it may be more than just a 7200 rpm drive versus the 5200rpm they use in the current model and "S" models.

Does anyone know if that the Seagate 8tb uses a 7200rpm drive?

Need to ask Albert about HDD setups for the Scorpio. I want to get a big fat 3.5" 7200rpm and stick it in an enclosure. A bit useless though if the BUS speed can't make use of it. Hopefully there have been upgrades over XB1.

paging Albert Penello...

Colbert

Banned
Need to ask Albert about HDD setups for the Scorpio. I want to get a big fat 3.5" 7200rpm and stick it in an enclosure. A bit useless though if the BUS speed can't make use of it. Hopefully there have been upgrades over XB1.

paging Albert Penello...

The USB 3.0 interface is limited to 5gbps which should be sufficient for any external 7200rpm drive. My external SSDs reach their 250MB/s peak with that.

EvB

Yeah, hopefully it won’t take too long for that to happen.
As the uhd blu ray drive is also on the same sata chip, we will see an increase in installation times too?

EvB

Hopefully, MS partners with DF for a deep dive to get this information out. I too think it may be more than just a 7200 rpm drive versus the 5200rpm they use in the current model and "S" models.

Does anyone know if that the Seagate 8tb uses a 7200rpm drive?

The more expensive (although look out for deals) Seagate Backuo hub 8tb has a faster data rate and is using an archive grade 5900rpm drive.

So I would guess not.

Colbert

Banned

Hawk269

I really have to work on my skills making an obvious joke! Hopefully nobody suffered a heart attack in result of my failed attempt!

Let's burn him at the stake!!!!

This is an emotional time for many...and you go do that? You are dead to me!

Unless you have some other inside info, then we are best friends! :)

The USB 3.0 interface is limited to 5gbps which should be sufficient for any external 7200rpm drive. My external SSDs reach their 250MB/s peak with that.

HMM yes. 5400rpm can hit 5gbps that though cant they, making a 7200 useless?

And on Xbox One, isn't it USB3 to SATA 2, limited to 3gbps?

Top Bottom