• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro: who blinked first...Microsoft or Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelic

Banned
Neither reacted to each other, they were both reacting to 4K TV's becoming popular in the middle of a console cycle.

Sony went for clever upscaling, Microsoft went for more brute force, but both are simply addressing the same problem, that 1080p/720p games look ugly on 4K TV's.

This is also no indiction that we will necessarily see mid-cycle refreshes again in the future, this is all just about the awkward timing of 4K TV's becoming popular during this specific console cycle. It's really that simple.

1080p games arent ugly on 4k, its a perfect 4:1 upscale so they actually look quite sharp.

And actually, when we were all on 720p sets, they werent even true 720p, they were something like 1366x768, so we werent even getting 720p...we had a small upscale, softening the image....so in comparison to that 1080p on a 4k set is fine.

gamz

The PS4 Pro came out last November and you still can't buy a 1X so it's obvious who started development first.

Or you can say the Pro was rushed out and The X wasn't.

I mean Phil did say he had two choices and choose the one you are seeing now. It was the correct one in my book.

jdmonmou

Sony blinked first obviously because the Pro released 1 year earlier with less power. Sony would've been better off not doing the mid-gen upgrade and releasing PS5 in 2018 to crush Xbox One X.

Trup1aya

The PS4 Pro came out last November and you still can't buy a 1X so it's obvious who started development first.

What? All indications are that they started at roughly the same time... but MS' engineering goals were much more ambitious so it naturally took longer.

In fact, iirc xb1s and Scorpio development began side by side.

Missing the UHD drive is kinda half baked, especially if its in the One S for a cheaper SKUs. It seemed to me like a rush job to cash in but I wasn't sure of that till I saw the X1. However, Grand Tourismo Sport looks great in 4k so that's all that matters.

So you're saying that it's a half baked video-games console because it doesn't include an upgraded drive for UHD movie playback?

You wasn't sure if the Pro was a rush job until you saw a console that is essentially coming a year later and asking for £120 more?

gamz

Sony blinked first obviously because the Pro released 1 year earlier with less power. Sony would've been better off not doing the mid-gen upgrade and releasing PS5 in 2018 to crush Xbox One X.

Price and tech won't be there in 2018 to crush anything.

angelic

Banned

Not really, theres always something in development. R and D is a continuous process, MS could have started earlier and decided the market wasnt ready, components were still too pricey, 4k sets werent cheap enough etc.

Im a fan of all this stuff myself, even if I dont like MS's brute force 4k solution, mid gen refreshes are great. Imagine still being on an iphone 4s for 6 or 7 years...then finally getting an S8 or something. Sure you get that initial rush...but then settle back as it gets older and older and older. Its like as well as software patches, we now get hardware patches, all you do is trade in your old machine, pay 150 or so for the newer one, and sit back and enjoy your sexy new graphics + frame rate. I love it.

CrayToes

I love my Pro but I do wish Sony had waited another year to release it and iron out some of the kinks/make it more powerful.

geordiemp

Not sure, the Ps5 needs Ryzen to fit inside a GPU with enough terraflops. Even though Ryzen is already out its too big for a powerful console APU is my understanding atm.

If Ryzen APU is possible on 7 nm in 2019, then both Sony and MS can make the current 4K twins totally obsolete and under powered in 2019 if they so wish..

So if 2019 is next gen, then MS are a bit late to the party with mid gen refresh.

If Next gen is not possible until 2020, then 2 years of XboxX is OK but not ideal.

What? All indications are that they started at roughly the same time... but MS' engineering goals were much more ambitious so it naturally took longer.

In fact, iirc xb1s and Scorpio development began side by side.

Nope.

Other than your made up story everyone kows the real timeline.

MS shit their pants so hard that they announced a console was going to come out a year later, at the same time.

Some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen lol.

angelic

Banned
I love my Pro but I do wish Sony had waited another year to release it and iron out some of the kinks/make it more powerful.

what kinks and powerful enough to do what? no 4k blu ray drive is a cost decision, not a kink, it does 4k, it overclocks OG ps4 games...what else do you need?

oldergamer

Nope.

Other than your made up story everyone kows the real timeline.

MS shit their pants so hard that they announced a console was going to come out a year later, at the same time.

Some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen lol.

Your story isn't logical. MS likely started development earlier since there's MUCH more custom work in X1X then there is in PS4 Pro.

1080p games arent ugly on 4k, its a perfect 4:1 upscale so they actually look quite sharp.

And actually, when we were all on 720p sets, they werent even true 720p, they were something like 1366x768, so we werent even getting 720p...we had a small upscale, softening the image....so in comparison to that 1080p on a 4k set is fine.

Yep. 1080 looks real good on my Samsung HU9000.

PG2G

I think that Microsoft had been planning this for a while when you consider what their platform has become. The combination of the PC platform and Xbox, talk of generation less consoles (all of which require support for a variety of hardware platforms) really does not come off as reactionary.

Honestly, both have been underwhelming for me. The PS4 Pro is not powerful enough and the Xbox one x does not have the games that interest me. I think I will be sticking with my regular version is this generation

Bgamer90

Banned
It's pretty funny how people are only using the release dates of both consoles to state which one was first without considering that both consoles are a response to the complaints we saw years ago of the 360/PS3 gen being too long.

It's pretty funny how people are using the release dates of both consoles to start which started first when yet both consoles are a response to the complaints we saw years ago of the 360/PS3 gen being too long.

Or it makes perfect sense base on what's in front of your face.

I know I know...but Phil said.

Dlacy13g

Well the Xbox S was definitely reactive to the original Xbox One performance and PS4 creating something that got better performance and smaller form factor. And I think it's safe to say that the Xbox One X is Microsoft's attempt at creating an apple like model where every three or four years you see a generational advancement but not something that completely leaves behind the previous generation.

Looking at the advancements of Xbox One s it matches up decently to the PlayStation 4 in terms of offering up a decent performance but additional capabilities that make it much more of a competitor in the market. For that head-to-head battle I don't know that Microsoft needed to produce anything more but realistically that generation has been won by PlayStation so no matter what Microsoft is putting out it wasn't going to change.

So when I see the X I think it is a step to try create a new generation and reset the field without actually announcing a next generation of devices. If we had not had a PS4 Pro announcement it feels pretty clear that the way Microsoft handles the X probably would be a little different in that I think they would be allowing developers to make Xbox One X only games and just sell the backwards compatibility aspect of the X with all previous games to Consumers.

So hard to say who blinked first because I think Microsoft in one sense did blink first because they conceded the loss but I think the PS4 Pro is very much a reactive we need to make something to counter rumored Scorpio from how it was handled at launch and to be honest just their overall messaging around that console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom