• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

I don't even want to imagine the terrible things that would come of this from MS. Nintendo and Sony have some nice teams under their hood that can actually create according to the input method. I have zero faith in MS to do the same, but I would love to be proven wrong.
Haha, what is this even based on? Like.....what are you even talking about?

Massa

I wonder how many tablet/AR patents Sony will bust out 4 years into the gen to sue MS.

None. Sony and Microsoft are both well aware that they violate several of each other's patents; it takes a company like Apple to forget that fact and go sue-happy on the competition.

Cipherr

Lol @ you guys talking about you are going to come on over to our side in the PC wonderland. 10 bucks says MS devs this controller to work on the PC too.

dream

Sheesh, I know tablets are the rage right now but does everything have to be a tablet?

Where's that Captain Picard photo where he's surrounded by a million tablets when you need it?

I think so.

The tablet form factor opens up so many more possibilities for the ecosystem Microsoft wants to sell you. Thinking of the next Xbox as just a console is probably way too narrow in scope.

Subitai

As long as the standard triggers/buttons/sticks are there, I guess there isn't really a reason to complain. Ya, it may be a little bulky, but there if I can still play FPS, racers, and sports games the same way and not throw away the years of invested experience building muscle memory there isn't a loss except maybe in the wallet. I think the other stuff that is turn based or rpg/adventure/party w/ constantly evolving controls will find a way to work.

I think it could be interesting - gives devs an opportunity to extend the limitations provided by the traditional controller (buttons:space ratio).

If it leads to a streamlined way of accessing stuff like menus too, then I won't complain.

Saying that, I have no idea how it WOULD work so I'll remain cautious.

Tookay

The way I simplistically look at it, the less clutter that's on my TV screen, the better. So much menu/item/HUD information can go on the controller.

Rimfya

Banned
Xbox_360_Black_Controller_D-Pad.jpg

PERFECT.

The way I simplistically look at it, the less clutter that's on my TV screen, the better. So much menu/item/HUD information can go on the controller, the better.

Yeah, that's my viewpoint.

I think if utilised right it'd be great.

Even for RPG's, what about hotkeys and the like - something that consoles can't currently do to the extent of a PC title, due to controller space.

SparkTR

The way I simplistically look at it, the less clutter that's on my TV screen, the better. So much menu/item/HUD information can go on the controller, the better.

Though having vital information on the controller can be jarring considering you're constantly looking away from the TV screen. I was doing something similar with a dual-moniter set-up (playing a game on one screen, game info on the other) and I quickly stopped when I realised how much it increased eye strain and how much I was missing just because of the back and forth. It completed killed my engagement with the game.

Changed tone is a good or bad way?

If the person is wanting power then it would be bad. But I noticed that change months before the IGN 6670 rumor.

That second one I think you have to take in context of general appearance.

Like, this is what iPhone games look like now:

http://www.abload.de/img/mass-effect-infiltratuio37.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/mass-effect-infiltratzqr9e.jpg

Now, this hardware is significantly worse than the Xbox 360, but I think many people would say this looks like an Xbox 360 game.

You can also just use general multiplication for his point.

If you increased 9x a year, and the Xbox 720 was 9x more powerful than the Xbox 360, as soon as you hit the "360's level", in two years you would be nine times as powerful as the Xbox 720.

I don't think anyone is expecting an 81x jump for the Xbox 360 -> Xbox 720 though.

This would also be a good time for us to note that they probably can't keep 9x a year jumps up. :p

I agree with the jump aspect as I think his numbers are (greatly) exaggerated. But he said tech instead of appearance so I can't really take it in the context of appearance.

Derrick01

Banned
Lets go way back. Why do we need analog sticks? Lets get back to wired controllers!

Those improved gaming. You have no way of knowing that this will be anything more than a gimmick.

Of course I don't either, but I choose to be skeptical after how this gen's gimmicks went.

Though having vital information on the controller can be jarring considering you're constantly looking away from the TV screen. I was doing something similar with a dual-moniter set-up (playing a game on one screen, game info on the other) and I quickly stopped when I realised how much it increased eye strain and how much of the game I was missing just because of the back and forth. It completed killed my engagement with the game.

Yeah, it's something that will need to be taken very good care of. A lot of ideas sound excellent initially, but I don't think they would work out for the better in actual application. So long as games are designed with the controller in mind, awesome things could come from it. It's very much the same situation as with the wiimote, except this one is a bit more deceptive in how much it could fuck up your game if you shoehorn it.

If even half of the rumors for the next gen consoles are true (anti-used games, motion and tablet controllers, etc) then I will be a 100% PC gamer.

Jonm1010

Banned
Lets go way back. Why do we need analog sticks? Lets get back to wired controllers!

Not every added feature is a worthwhile feature to add.

Frankly I dont see the benefits outweighing the costs with adding a large tablet type screen and tablet functionality to a controller.

It takes away power that could go into the system itself because costs for the components will need to be set aside for the tablet. In all likelihood it will sacrifice a level of controller comfort in order to incorporate the screen. It risks breaking gaming immersion by having to always be aware of a second screen that functions as a pivotal part of the gaming process for many games.

All of which are costs I believe would outweigh the benefits.

HylianTom

Banned
Gotta admit - I'm getting a bit excited about what could be possible here.

Just think.. a motion-based controller with a digital screen on it for input would fit very nicely with Microsoft's desire to create an all-in-one-type living room entertainment system (that also plays video games).

Bgamer90

Banned
Hmm, MS has pretty dominated E3 for the last several years including last year.

????

Definitely not the last 2 years.

Anyways, I could possibly see there being a tablet controller as an option to use for certain games or the main controller of the system having a touch screen on it.

But the main controller = a straight up tablet? Yeah, I can't see that happening.

Instro

Not every added feature is a worthwhile feature to add.

Frankly I dont see the benefits outweighing the costs with adding a large tablet type screen and tablet functionality to a controller.

It takes away power that could go into the system itself because costs for the components will need to be set aside for the tablet. In all likelihood it will sacrifice a level of controller comfort in order to incorporate the screen. It risks breaking gaming immersion by having to always be aware of a second screen that functions as a pivotal part of the gaming process for many games.

All of which are costs I believe would outweigh the benefits.

More so than pausing the game to cycle through separate menus? I feel like "immersion" is the weakest argument against having a screen on your controller.

Hmm, MS has pretty dominated E3 for the last several years including last year.

Their last 2 have been terrible. Like Nintendo 2008 terrible.

elcranky

Banned
What I think is Ms will just let any Win 8 enabled device control the new console, be it a tablet or a smartphone. And they'll keep the standard 360 controller, because it's dirt cheap to produce, sells at an enormous profit margin, and we are all going to buy one no matter what, if the tablet or anything else becomes the standard.

But hey, rumours are fun!

This seems like the most likely scenario. I will go 1 further and say that any win8 tablet can be the display for the xbox / xbox can have multiple apps running on different tablets.

frostbyte

People who use the immersion argument With a second screen haven't had a ds?

But the Wii U pad's screen isn't going to be in the same plane of view as your TV. Unless you hold the controller facing the TV, you're going to have to peek down to see the Wii U pad's screen. and i can understand how that breaks immersion to some degree.

Personally, I think the tablet controller is a useful innovation unlike motion controls. It's just a normal controller with a screen on it. It doesn't entirely change the playing field like motion controls did.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
But the Wii U pad's screen isn't going to be in the same plane of view as your TV. Unless you hold the controller facing the TV, you're going to have to peek down to see the Wii U pad's screen. and i can understand how that breaks immersion to some degree.

Personally, I think the tablet controller is a useful innovation unlike motion controls. It's just a normal controller with a screen on it. It doesn't entirely change the playing field like motion controls did.

On the ds Both screens are hardly ever get the same amout of attention. your brain can only concentrate and process one screen at a time anyways so There shouldn't be much difference between glancing down and looking down.

Top Bottom