• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Please, just ditch Kinect and go with the tablet controller. It was far more compelling possibilities than this "you are the controller" bullshit.

220px-Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_(PAL).png

?
Everyone jokes but if the touchscreen can be removed a la VMU/pint-sized ipod touch with VMU/ipod functionality I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Adding a small touchscreen to allow for at least some functional equivalent to the WiiU and a device to cut into the cheap ipod games space might be a little too much but if they are getting desperate/ throwing stuff against the wall to see what stick, it might happen.
Imagine taking an updated VMU with you playing PSN/minis or WP7/XBLA games.

Troll

Banned
I really like the idea of a controller screen. I would have liked something more original instead of copying Nintendo though.

Are we not used to it by now? Seriously?

NES - first controller with the D-pad as we know it

SNES - First controller with Shoulder Buttons as we know them

N64 - First controller with an analog stick as we know it

Game Cube - first controller with first party wireless (wave bird)

Wii - First with WAGGLE

WiiU - Looks like first with touchscreen in controller

As far as First party's go, Nintendo has always done it first. Always.

The Xbox 360 controller with an updated d-pad would be perfect. Why add a big screen and ruin what it is already nearly perfect.

Also, I highly doubt this is true anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
No offence, but do you really think that a touch screen controller can't add much to gameplay?

I have a hard time thinking up the immediate applications to games for this. It can be used the same way a DS was, but the playing screen is not 1 inch above the touch screen like on a DS. In most games you would have to pause to look down at it, and once you pause I fail to see the point since everything you could look at down there could be on the pause menu.

This exact same rumour popped up a month ago and this is what I posted then...
I don't particularly believe that Microsoft will have a tablet/screen attachment for their next console, but if they did, I think that they might do something like this...
T2C5o.jpg

A Detachable Screen similar to the Current Chatpad, that enhances your experience similar to the second screen on the DS (and probably what most 3rd parties will use the WiiU screen for as well).
One Controller and One Screen attachment will be bundled with every console...AND here's the best part, the screen isn't the sole conduit for this information. The information can be relayed and picked up by ANYTHING with a touchscreen. Meaning ANY/ALL Tablets and Smartphones. Similar to what Microsoft is currently doing with Halo Atlus.

So Player 1 could be using the screen attachment while Player 2 is using his WP7/Adoid Phone/iOS Device and running the XBOX Infinity Companion app to view the information. All Microsoft has to do is release an app which works with the console to provide the necessary information.
VmiRX.png

The Perfect Solution.

First was the comment from Capps saying gamers should demand hardware to be certain level, and then there was this article linked by east of eastside in the dev kit thread.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-01-24-the-generation-gap

"Mobile gaming has so changed in the US," he says. "To me, the iPhone, is pretty close to Xbox one tech, and if they keep multiplying 9x every year it's not going to be long before it's past 360 and whatever is next from Microsoft.

To me he's exaggerating about the iPhone power jumps, but that's kind of telling to include Xbox 3 in that comparison. How low of a jump would the console be targeting for him to say that? But like I said in the dev kit thread. Epic, or at least Capps, had a change in tone seemingly with what the next Xbox was shaping up to be.

Troll

Banned
First was the comment from Capps saying gamers should demand hardware to be certain level, and then there was this article linked by east of eastside in the dev kit thread.

To me he's exaggerating about the iPhone power jumps, but that's kind of telling to include Xbox 3 in that comparison. How low of a jump would the console be targeting for him to say that? But like I said in the dev kit thread. Epic, or at least Capps, had a change in tone seemingly with what the next Xbox was shaping up to be.

Changed tone is a good or bad way?

Seriously guys, what is so bad about this?
When I'm playing games I like to lose myself in the world. I'm there. And nothing could be more immersion breaking than looking away from my wall-sized projection screen to some tiny rectangle between my hands. I don't want to look away. This isn't like the DS where the screens are visibly connected and on the same focal plane.

If I wanted to play games while looking at my lap, I'll play on my iPhone. Or DS. Or I'll buy a tablet.

This is a gimmick. And I get it, gimmicks sell systems and I'm sure some game will make use of it well, but most wont. Most will have some stupid tacked-on inferior functionality. What's going to be down there? Maps? Gauges? Inventory? Stats? I'd prefer all of those on screen A, in my virtual world with my attention.

That these "extra elements" could hypothetically be delivered through apps like Monumental posted above just furthers how actually unnecessary they are to gameplay. The app / any screen idea is great, leave it at that.

MS has a chance to really nail down the entertainment hub thing next gen. I hope they don't fuck it up with a jack of all trades, master of none system.

*goes back to weeding his lawn / yelling at clouds*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

That second one I think you have to take in context of general appearance.

Like, this is what iPhone games look like now:

mass-effect-infiltratuio37.jpg

mass-effect-infiltratzqr9e.jpg

Now, this hardware is significantly worse than the Xbox 360, but I think many people would say this looks like an Xbox 360 game.

You can also just use general multiplication for his point.

If you increased 9x a year, and the Xbox 720 was 9x more powerful than the Xbox 360, as soon as you hit the "360's level", in two years you would be nine times as powerful as the Xbox 720.

I don't think anyone is expecting an 81x jump for the Xbox 360 -> Xbox 720 though.

This would also be a good time for us to note that they probably can't keep 9x a year jumps up. :p

Tookay

Why would you change the best controller ever made when it's already perfect?

...in attempt to copy one of the worst and most gimmicky conceived?

Because maybe there are gameplay/media applications to it that exceed that of a traditional controller?

Jonm1010

Banned
Or the rumour that there might be two types of NextXboxes is actually... true.

That's the thing. Maybe it's true and every other rumor is false. Maybe all those rumors are false. Thing is their is so much "rumor" floating around that it's impossible to say what's what. That was my point.

They may buy more games, but rising costs means that they have to keep their audiences expanding. The casuals and gimmickry are funding your hardcore games.

I'm not against marketing to both casuals and hardcores. What I said I am worried about is Microsoft taking for granted the hardcore crowd and developing a next gen console almost exclusively catering to casuals and just assuming the hardcore will stick around even if the next console is only a minor upgrade to current specs and a push toward majority casual friendly games.

That's what wold make me sick.

Troll

Banned
When I'm playing games I like to lose myself in the world. I'm there. And nothing could be more immersion breaking than looking away from my wall-sized projection screen to some tiny rectangle between my hands. I don't want to look away. This isn't like the DS where the screens are visibly connected and on the same focal plane.

If I wanted to play games while looking at my lap, I'll play on my iPhone. Or DS. Or I'll buy a tablet.

This is a gimmick. And I get it, gimmicks sell systems and I'm sure some game will make use of it well, but most wont. Most will have some stupid tacked-on inferior functionality. What's going to be down there? Maps? Gauges? Inventory? Stats? I'd prefer all of those on screen A, in my virtual world with my attention.

That these "extra elements" could hypothetically be delivered through apps like Monumental posted above just furthers how actually unnecessary they are to gameplay. The app / any screen idea is great, leave it at that.

MS has a chance to really nail down the entertainment hub thing next gen. I hope they don't fuck it up with a jack of all trades, master of none system.

*goes back to weeding his lawn / yelling at clouds*

See, I don't think that having the screen will take away from the immersion, just like the Kinect didn't add to it.

What I'm trying to say is let the great game developers in the world show us what they can do and take it from there. No witch hunt, just give people like Naughty Dog and Lion Head a fair shake.

It is so easy to go all "sky is falling" when you hear about new ideas and so much harder to embrace it.

The cup is half full for me at least.

Just kidding about Lion head btw

I don't see the major disadvantage to including a screen AND traditional buttons. It only adds more functionality and possibilities into the mix. This thread reminds me of when people said that motion gaming would never catch on.

Troll

Banned
I don't see the major disadvantage to including a screen AND traditional buttons. It only adds more functionality and possibilities into the mix. This thread reminds me of when people said that motion gaming would never catch on.

Let's be honest here, to most of them, it still hasn't.

I'm open to it.

I think more meager hardware will also improve build quality at launch as well. Sounds cool. U/Fusion are going to be port buddies!

What I said I am worried about is Microsoft taking for granted the hardcore crowd and developing a next gen console almost exclusively catering to casuals and just assuming the hardcore will stick around even if the next console is only a minor upgrade to current specs and a push toward majority casual friendly games.

They're not that dumb. There still is Sony around, which we know won't let the hardcore crowd go (PSVita may be seen as a desperate attempt to gather to all audiences while still being extremely appealing to core gamers), so they won't fuck everything up.

I mean, everyone was deeming Kinect a failure, and it surpassed everyone's expectations, sale-wise. Everyone was - and still is - bitching about the - supposed - lack of games on the 360, yet the console is in incredible shape (and of course games keep coming at an incredible rate).

We thought they were hiring monkeys for their marketing push of Kinect. And we were wrong. On the other hand, XBLA, third parties and a couple of core exclusives are enough to keep the big crowd happy.

Gaf may not like this, but it's the truth. It's not that Sony and its hundreds of exclusives is doing better. Or that those games are selling more than third parties' blockbusters on ps3.

Besides, I still think that in the next console's early years, Microsoft will have more exclusives in its line-up than we have now, just like they did with the 360. And this time they will have a gimmick to sell to casuals from the start.

Azure J

Screens on the controller... see Sega knew what the hell was going on over 14 years ago.

Let's be really fucking real for a second, SEGA knew what was up with everything ever at this point. Motion controls, "screen-in-a-controller", handhelds that played/had "console like experiences", online, hardware addons... Name something they didn't have going for them, besides money to burn (which ultimately lead to their demise sadly).

They were too far ahead of the times and had to die so the others might live. :lol

goldenpp72

This would be funny, a long time ago I brain stormed about the idea of microsoft making an ipad like device to come with an xbox 3, before wii u and all that was even a rumor, then nintendo came out and merged it with a controller (which really was probably smarter than my 2 minute brain storm) and then this could happen too.

Honestly I could see all 3 doing it to try and prevent nintendo from stealing that thunder.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I need a good old fashioned controller. Can't imagine playing games like Gears of War/Homefront without it. Microsoft, DO NOT go Wii U, even if you make a slimmer version of Nintendo's table sized controller. Screw dat sh1t! Screw it to hell!

Let's be really fucking real for a second, SEGA knew what was up with everything ever at this point. Motion controls, "screen-in-a-controller", handhelds that played/had "console like experiences", online, hardware addons... Name something they didn't have going for them, besides money to burn (which ultimately lead to their demise sadly).

They were too far ahead of the times and had to die so the others might live. :lol

I agree with this.

Unfortunately they didn't have the funds or the marketing sense to make this stuff a success.

I don't even want to imagine the terrible things that would come of this from MS. Nintendo and Sony have some nice teams under their hood that can actually create according to the input method. I have zero faith in MS to do the same, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Troll

Banned
Here at LionHead Studios we have had a chance to meet up with Microsoft's own Peter Molyneux and talk about Fable 4 for the newly announced Xbox 720.

PM: Thank you for taking the time to talk to me, not many people do anymore.

GAF: Oh, any time. So what new mechanics are we going to be able to look forward to in Fable 4: Greatness?

PM: Fancy you should ask. There are two major differences between Fable 3 and Fable 4: Greatness. Firstly you play as the DOG in F4G. You are your OWN best friend!

GAF: That sounds really ambitious, what about the second difference?

PM: Well, with the newly announced motion controller, you can shove the small side up your arse and when you shake it the dog wags his tail too! Brilliant! Would you like a demonstration I have it all set up.

GAF: No... Thanks.

PM: Where are you going? Do you have any peanut butter? I was about to show you the best part!

Please, don't disappoint me Peter.

just give me a regular controller, FUCK

This.

The more I drift into PC gaming, the more I realize that from afar, the whole "QUICK! DO WHAT THEY'RE DOING RIGHT NOW!" bit that the console manufacturers keep doing is really tiring. It's like a really slow version of "NUH UH! YUH YUH! NUH UH! YUH HUH", and far more annoying.

XOMTOR

Sheesh, I know tablets are the rage right now but does everything have to be a tablet?

Where's that Captain Picard photo where he's surrounded by a million tablets when you need it?

Top Bottom