• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within |OT| Your Soldiers Never Asked For This

Into my best Army of Four I/I run yet, only lost one soldier, a 55 aim rookie (playing with some limited second wave, most notably the randomizing of rookies and Itchy Trigger Tentacle) on the first mission. Did Alien Base Assault in month four, about to do the base defense.

Still can't seem to get a good 88-89 aim squaddie sniper so I can build the gamebreaking lategame ITZ snapshot sniper that you really need for Army of Four and I don't have a good ghost grenade carrier. But I do have an assault with Low Profile+HEAT ammo, which should be enough to solve the sectopod problem in a couple of months. Thanks Alloy Cannon!

Nice to have a run finally come together after numerous times of trying. I started in Europe of all places and just rushed Carapace, two things I normally never do. Some of it was RNG help but early Carapace did keep a couple of soliders from dying in April.

Quick question, does the other dlc with with enemy within?

On consoles you get all of the DLC in the Commander Edition. On the PC you still need to buy Slingshot (worth it IMO, if only because the bugged Cyberdisc on the last mission in that DLC is such an epic fight) and the Elite Solider pack if you want the additional decos and soldier customization.

I did finish that Army of Four Impossible/Ironman playthrough. I was worried to death about Sectopods but a Hover SHIV and a sniper with disabling shot really do pin them down well. I did make a strong point of ending the game as soon as I could so I would not have to deal with that terror mission in October where you get three packs of Sectopods. Way too risky if I get a bad map for it.

CMDBob

By any chance anyone can point some store offering this expansion for a good price?

You missed out on a flash sale on Steam (that's where I got it from), as it was half off then, and it's 33% off at the moment (as far as I can tell, anyway). It's also 33% off on Amazon US digital downloads, too. Otherwise, can't think of any other deals.

Curufinwe

How is the PS3 version?

I played XCOM on the 360 back in February, and it's available for free on PSN+, but I'm thinking of paying $30 to play Enemy Within on the PS3 if it's bug free and performs well.

I've never played an XCOM game but would the iPad version give me the full experience? Seems like a game that would benefit well from touch screen controls.

Or would you guys still recommend the PC version? I have all platforms btw, just trying to figure out the best version to get.

Zaphod

The iOS version is a fairly direct port of the PC game at low to mid settings. If you want to play it that way you should get a full experience.

How is the PS3 version?

I played XCOM on the 360 back in February, and it's available for free on PSN+, but I'm thinking of paying $30 to play Enemy Within on the PS3 if it's bug free and performs well.

So, got Enemy Within on PS3 for Xmas. Played Enemy Unknown on 360 just like you. Got around to playing within last night.

The framerate in Enemy Within PS3 is preeeeeeetty awful so far. Definitely worse than Unknown was on 360. A lot of juddering, screen tearing, and all-round low framerate. Thankfully it's a turn based game so I can stomach it but man, it's not good at all. No idea how Enemy Within specifically is on 360 though.

Curufinwe

So, got Enemy Within on PS3 for Xmas. Played Enemy Unknown on 360 just like you. Got around to playing within last night.

The framerate in Enemy Within PS3 is preeeeeeetty awful so far. Definitely worse than Unknown was on 360. A lot of juddering, screen tearing, and all-round low framerate. Thankfully it's a turn based game so I can stomach it but man, it's not good at all. No idea how Enemy Within specifically is on 360 though.

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I might just wait and get it on the 360.

I only wanted the PS3 version because I still have two games on that platform I'm working on (MGRR and Diablo 3) and once I finish GRID 2 I'll be out of PS3 games to play.

Sentenza

You missed out on a flash sale on Steam (that's where I got it from), as it was half off then, and it's 33% off at the moment (as far as I can tell, anyway). It's also 33% off on Amazon US digital downloads, too. Otherwise, can't think of any other deals.
Just for the record, i grown tired of waiting for a better deal, I wanted to play it in these holidays, now that I'm free from work, so I decided "Fuck saving money" and bought it anyway.
I enjoyed the additions to the game so far, especially the increased variety in builds and enemies, but there are areas that they left essentially untouched, when they were the ones more needing of intervention.

Nugg

Hey guys, new to this thread, and never played XCOM! Simple question (and I apologize if it's a stupid question): should I start with Enemy Unknow, or should I go straight with Enemy Within, since as I understand it, it improves and adds to the existing content?

Hey guys, new to this thread, and never played XCOM! Simple question (and I apologize if it's a stupid question): should I start with Enemy Unknow, or should I go straight with Enemy Within, since as I understand it, it improves and adds to the existing content?
You could do either one and be fine as long as you keep the tutorials on and play on Easy/Normal.

Erudite

Gah. Wish I looked into the PS3 version a bit more. Got it for the gf for Christmas. Hopefully she doesn't get bothered by it.

Sooner I can move her on to a gaming PC, the better it seems.

Bought enemy within thinking it would add new stuff the original game. It may, but not to my original save in enemy unknown, which is a bummer. So heres my question, in EU im at the first base assault and getting my ass kicked. Should I keep playing EU or just move 100% over to EW and start over?

Sentenza

Bought enemy within thinking it would add new stuff the original game. It may, but not to my original save in enemy unknown, which is a bummer. So heres my question, in EU im at the first base assault and getting my ass kicked. Should I keep playing EU or just move 100% over to EW and start over?
You still are essentially at the beginning of your campaign and EW, so I see no reason to stick with it if you purchased EW and could enjoy all the new stuff in it.

Ok so got EW and never had any issues with EU but now this game keeps crashing. I have attempted the same mission 3 times now and each time crashes.

Anyone else had this issue after installing EW?

O.DOGG

Ok so got EW and never had any issues with EU but now this game keeps crashing. I have attempted the same mission 3 times now and each time crashes.

Anyone else had this issue after installing EW?

Not me. I'm playing through EW right now and if anything I noticed it runs smoother for me than vanilla XCOM. Maybe that's because I haven't played the original in a while, though. I haven't had any crashes in the last three days (since I started this run).

Ugh. Just had a glitch where when I click to start the next mission instead of loading the mission the game just loads indefinitely. Clicking ignore just makes the menu pop up over and over. I'm on Ironman so no saves to fall back on.

8 hours into the game, dunno if I can stomach restarting (especially since I've already done a 4-5 hour restart by choice). There's no backup the game falls back on if I delete the save file right? (PS3)

Between this and the poor framerate the PS3 version is sure annoying me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really wish that the game had warned me that the Slingshot DLC would give me a shitton of materials and basically make the game really easy :/

O.DOGG

I'm some 20 hours deep in a new EW campaign after having bought the DLC just a couple of days ago and the new additions are so badass. I didn't want to augment any of my soldiers at first because, well they'd no longer be human, right? But after making one mec and trying out the mimetic skin augment once, all of that went out the window. Now they're all mutants (and one mec).

So the game gives me an all-female squad to work with, and I eventually get a male support guy (my medic), to whom the game gives the appropriate callsign "Romeo". You know I had to let him wear the fedora! This game is so good.

Maybe I should've never bought that DLC, can't seem to do anything productive since I started it.

Sentenza

I really wish that the game had warned me that the Slingshot DLC would give me a shitton of materials and basically make the game really easy :/
Uh. Does it?
I completed just the first mission of it (last minute purchase so I didn't have it when I played EW the first time in the past days) and so far it gave me just a new soldier.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Uh. Does it?
I completed just the first mission of it (last minute purchase so I didn't have it when I played EW the first time in the past days) and so far it gave me just a new soldier.

Yeah, in the last mission you get a ton of elerium/alloys and advanced stuff to research

you can ignore the advanced research stuff but the elerium and alloy makes buying advanced equipment and facilities kind of a breeze

Sentenza

As we are on it... People, if anyone knows some command parameter to skip the launcher (the one that makes you choose between EU and EW) I would really appreciate it.

Should I go with the iPad Air, 360 or PS3 version of this game?

I have too many PC games to play right now and would prefer a comfy couch for XCOM.

O.DOGG

Today I completed my first run of Enemy Within. I have to admit though, Normal difficulty is too easy, even with ironman on. I'm a bit hesitant to start a new game just yet but I had a blast, and the new additions are awesome.

In my playthrough
the Volunteer was Annette Durand. She got her revenge
. I thought that was kind of neat.

ZQQLANDER

Just started digging into EW and its a great addition to EU.

Any whispers about a next-gen XCOM? This one did very well I thought financially and critically so I think they will make another addition in the franchise.

ZQQLANDER

If this happens and if it still doesn't have procedurally generated combat zones... Well, I don't even want to think about it.

Yeah I would think this would be a given at this point. At least have a "forge"/map editor where the top community maps make it into the hopper.

epmode

Adding a larger map pool is like adding extra scenarios to Civilization rather than including the world generator. Prefab stuff is nice here or there but the dev's focus should be on randomization and longevity.

I want to be able to find any type of UFO in any type of map.

I'd like the condition of the UFO to be determined by the method used to take it down (extra-powerful weapons mean the UFO will be in bad shape - Fewer/wounded enemies, less chance of finding useful UFO tech)

And oh god please bring back night missions.

I'd gladly take a graphics hit if it was required for this stuff.

ZQQLANDER

Adding a larger map pool is like adding extra scenarios to Civilization rather than including the world generator. Prefab stuff is nice here or there but the dev's focus should be on randomization and longevity.

I want to be able to find any type of UFO in any type of map.

I'd like the condition of the UFO to be determined by the method used to take it down (extra-powerful weapons mean the UFO will be in bad shape - Fewer/wounded enemies, less chance of finding useful UFO tech)

And oh god please bring back night missions.

I'd gladly take a graphics hit if it was required for this stuff.

Sounds good to me. Personally I would like a better and more challenging end game. I want the game to get harder toward the end, not easier.

Sentenza

Jesus Christ, if it's really that hard for them they don't even necessarily need to build a randomized system, these days.
They could just support some sort of Steam Workshop integration and we could have virtually infinite maps from modders.

Dram

Question about the ending.

Did all of the aliens on Earth die, when the Uber Ethereal was killed?

epmode

They're ridiculously important. Too important, I'd say.

I'm not a big fan of the strategic mode in the reboot. I'm not saying that I'd want it ripped out or reduced in a sequel because I LOVE the strategic/battle dynamic. ..I just think that the strategic mode suffered from the removal of the simulation aspects of the original.

Sioen

They're ridiculously important. Too important, I'd say.

I'm not a big fan of the strategic mode in the reboot. I'm not saying that I'd want it ripped out or reduced in a sequel because I LOVE the strategic/battle dynamic. ..I just think that the strategic mode suffered from the removal of the simulation aspects of the original.
I haven't played any xcom game before so I couldn't compare but I'll keep that in mind that satelites are very important.

AJLma

The more I play of EW, the less I like it, but I keep coming back when I've got an hour or 2 free. :/

I don't think the additions added much to the overall experience at all, and the scripted missions are easily the worst thing about the game.

Sentenza

I don't think the additions added much to the overall experience at all
Eh, can't say I disagree.
Well, I think most of those additions were good, just to be clear. They just weren't enough to make a difference in the long run.

Jintor

I don't mind scripted missions as such, Newfoundland rightly received a lot of praise; but so much of it comes down to 'assholes spawn from the sky with no warning' that scripted missions are difficult the first time through and easy as balls every subsequent time (because you know the pre-made layout).

Strategic layer still blows chunks imho. Well, it's okay, but I way preferred the more.. dynamic feeling OG X-COM feel.

Top Bottom