• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within |OT| Your Soldiers Never Asked For This

Strategic layer still blows chunks imho. Well, it's okay, but I way preferred the more.. dynamic feeling OG X-COM feel.

If there's one thing that really gimps the replayability of the current XCOM remake it's that because of the tightly driven overarching narrative that has due dates and consistenly samey activation dates, the element of randomness is gone on subsequent playthroughs.

There should've been a Free Play mode/Endless Mode which allowed the player to undergo randomized events instead until they just died from the overwhelming difficulty ramp up, with an end goal that'd be player determined instead of a consistently predetermined one that would occur in exactly the same fashion. Also I expected Exalt to be a lot more than the ancillary force they were in this game. They should've been given the power to influence governments to leave the XCOM project, not to mention that they could've been e 3rd force during alien encounters instead of a strict delineation between their missions and alien missions.

I still think that the strategic layer for XCOM Apocalypse was pretty neat when it came down to the complexities of the various factions that could exist in the world and how they could fuck you over if you didn't deal with them effectively and rapidly.

I wonder how costly it'd have been to implement such a game mode though.

I'm through three months of Classic Ironman and I've lost five soldiers (none higher than a squaddie) and no countries.

I'm almost scared to keep playing now.

Sotha Sil

Bought EW during the Steam sale and I'm glad I haven't replayed the game in months; feels amazingly fresh.

I just love the new track that plays on battle maps in between fights; the eerie, electric "everything's calm for now" type. Haven't been able to find it anywhere though (to my knowledge, there is no official EW soundtrack so far, but I could be wrong).

Telaso

Banned
I beat my second playthrough this morning,. This time with EW. They added some great things to an already great game.

I'll wait 6 months and probably play through again adding some of the second wave items.

TTG

As a PSA to this thread, I stumbled on Beagel's(of Ironman Impossible youtube fame) twitch channel. He's playing Enemy Within and has finally, miraculously gotten to the base assault, which is on now. I'm sure some of us will find that interesting, he's inevitably failed in all his other campaigns, as far as I remember.

So yea, there it is. He's also playing it in a way that's... well, I would discourage, he's going to have sectopods and muton elites running around there because he's waited for so long. I don't see any reason to distort the game's progression this way, get some armor and/or advanced weaponry and hit it, anyway:

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just posting to say that my media blackout has been fairly successful, and I'm going into this relatively blind. I just know that I can punch aliens THROUGH FUCKING CARS and blow them up good.

hype hype hype

Dang, I didn't get to play it, even thought I preordered it, until now, and goddamn that was excellent. Went through the whole campaign on Classic.

Thoughts -

Whoever designed that fishing mission is brilliant. Fucking awesome mission. I was able to handle the bugs quite well, actually, and even delayed my evac until the last minute so I could farm as much EXP as possible. Assaults kill 'lids dead (brought 2 of 'em for some reason...glad I did lol), and I was lucky enough to have positioned my sniper at that really high tower near the start of the level. It is directly across from the hole in the barge, so any Cryssalids that pop out get sniped with max height aim bonus.

I'm not sure if that's the only new non-plotline original mission, but if it is, that's a bummer. I thought there was a bit of a lack of new content, but I think that's more of my overexpectations talking.

It was my first time experiencing the Slingshot DLC...and it was okay, I guess. Getting blaster launcher that early is kinda OP, but then again, it takes forever to research and a lot of cash to build. Besides, I usually don't even encounter any battleships on regular playthoughs before I beat the game anyway. It also allowed me to capture a Muton a LOT earlier than usual, so that gave me a leg up on plasma research, and so I skipped lasers entirely, and went straight to plasma.

Only 2 new enemies was kinda a bummer, but the Seekers freaked me the fuck out the first time they attacked. Mechtoids are neat, I guess.

MEC troopers are fucking sweet. Punching aliens through cars never felt so good. I only used one, but on my next play, I'm going to go for 3, to triple my alien face punching goodness. With the punch, I can break through walls like the motherfucking Kool Aid man. SURPRISE, BITCHES! OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHH! PEW PEW PEW!

3 grenades are good. Nice for blowing up cover so that the rookies can take killshots at aliens.

The new weapons were neat. Gas grenade and needle grenade seemed worthless, didn't bother building them. Mimic grenade was interesting to set up traps. Ghost grenade was cool - it let me set up assault bombs (I'll explain what these are later) much much earlier before getting ghost armor. I wish there were more kinds of main weapons, though.

Gene mods are cool. Jumpy legs are awesome. Mimetic skin is fucking overpowered. As soon as I read the description, I'm all like - fuck it, I'm getting THAT. Scouting is even easier.

Getting mimetic skin ASAP on a support is well worth the meld cost, since it makes getting any meld in future missions a cakewalk. Have you meld grabber just run from full cover to full cover, hidden the whole time. Scouting is so much easier now, with mimetic skin. Have one or two snipers with squadsight, and you can consistently blow away one alien from a pack before they even activate.

EXALT stuff was pretty cool, and a nice change of pace. The first EXALT mission was fucking tough, since there are so many of them, but as I progress, they pretty much turn into EXP farm missions. I was a little disappointed that there was nothing else revealed about EXALT after I fucked up their base. Overall, I feel like the EXALT stuff was a good idea, but could use more fleshing out. It has a lot of potential.

I'm also glad I went on a media blackout, since the existence of EXALT came as a surprise to me. Initially, I had suspected that the "Enemy Within" title had something to do with XCOM fighting a human threat as well. I guessed that it might be something along the lines of the original XCOM, where aliens do "alien infiltration" missions to get other countries to abandon you. I thought that XCOM:EW would try to do something where you have to do missions to stop alien sympathizers, or to recapture any countries that withdrew. I guess I was sorta close.

I think with the new content, the game got easier. It's still hard in the first months, but endgame is more of a cakewalk than before.

Part of this comes from all the new available options for stealth. I can do all the late-game ghost armor stealth abuse tricks in mid-game now. Like the assault bomb.

Scout with a support with mimetic skin, going from full cover to full cover, so you're always in stealth. Or, scout with a sniper. Using the low profile skill, any cover is full cover, so you can pretty much go anywhere and always be stealthed (until you spot aliens).

Once you find aliens, ghost stealth (with armor or the ghost bomb) one or more assaults. Have the assaults run up to the alien pack, and end turn. On the next turn, activate the pack with a sniper shot, or a grenade, or rocket, or whatever. The aliens run away - right past your assaults, which then shoot them in their fucking faces with close quarters combat. Then use your assaults (who have a full turn available to them), to run and gun next to the remaining aliens and rapid fire them right in the face again.

Now, off to read this thread from the beginning :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh man, I'm doing a playthrough with random rookie stats, random growth stats, random class skills, and random abduction rewards. Good fun.

Although, the random rookie stats thing is a mixed bag. It just makes me hire a bunch of dudes, and then toss the shitty ones. Might as well just make me pay a higher price for stronger rookies.

krakov

Firaxis really needs to get their shit together, this game is barely working. Lost a 4-5 month classic ironman run to a corrupt save file. After that the game started freezing at initial load until I wiped all the saves from the hard drive. Had probably 20 hard freezes thus far in two days.

If there isn't a patch coming they should just remove the game of shelves or give it away for free.

Magwik

Banned
So this is related to Xcom: EU, but my friend and I bought the game and he is having horrible frame rate issues on any setting, while I play just fine on low, and his computer is miles better than mine. Anyone know the cause of this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not Created Equally + Hidden Potential + Training Roulette = one of my snipers has 140 natural aim, and 117 Will.

Oh, and she also has Disabling Shot, and Flush, and Rapid Reaction. LOL.

So this is related to Xcom: EU, but my friend and I bought the game and he is having horrible frame rate issues on any setting, while I play just fine on low, and his computer is miles better than mine. Anyone know the cause of this?

Update drivers? He might wanna browse the support forum

http://forums.2k.com/forumdisplay.php?131-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Support

I've been playing Enemy Unkown on the PS3 and I'm really liking it, except it feels like it eats up more time than it should. Part of that is the game runs like ass. Does Enemy Within perform better on the PS3?

I've been playing Enemy Unkown on the PS3 and I'm really liking it, except it feels like it eats up more time than it should. Part of that is the game runs like ass. Does Enemy Within perform better on the PS3?

Enemy Within performs better then Enemy Unknown on PS3 in my opinion. Lot of the texture issues I found in EU were not present in EW. But EW has some bugs. But overall I had a smooth experience.

Almost certainly the game is using integrated graphics instead of his dedicated 3D card. He'll need to force it to use the latter in his graphics card settings.

Raptomex

So I just got Enemy Within. When I launch the game on Steam it asks me to choose Unknown or Within. Does Unknown contain any of the new features? Will Within take me through Unknown? Keep in mind this is a fresh install with no previous saves.

boltz

If you select EU, you'll just be playing the base game, as if you didn't have the expansion. EW integrates the new stuff into the existing campaign with a few changes.

Sentenza

So I'm through two missions of Impossible Ironman without losing a soldier or even taking a hit.

I should probably just quit now.
Yeah, before some random plasma shot from a thin man, bouncing around, will kill three of your veterans in a single turn.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
(That run ended badly at the end of May.)

Fuck Portent, though. I can never get out of that mission with everyone alive.

It's actually pretty easy, since the spawns and triggers are the same every time.

When you start, rocket the thin men on the corner of the roof.

Activate the thinmen right outside the door of the first building.

Take some soldiers to the side, and on the roof of the second building (careful not to activate the thinmen on the right side of the map) and activate/kill the thinmen near the civilian. Come around to the right side of the map and activate/kill the thinmen there.

Position your soldiers where the thinmen will drop, activate the civilian, but don't move. Thinmen drop, you overwatch shoot/kill em.

Reposition your soldiers a little further up, overwatch.

Move the civilian up one move, end turn. If nothing happens, move him up slightly more and end turn.

thinman will drop onto the canvas, you'll kill him.

position on or two men back near the truck where you first found the civilian. Position the rest on the roof of the first building.

Move civilian up a little more, end turn. thinmen and sectoid drop, you kill em.

Reposition soldiers again, move civilian up a little more, rinse repeat.

It's actually pretty easy, since the spawns and triggers are the same every time.
At this point I know the spawns, and I'm fine until the overwatching guys drop and all my soldiers inexplicably miss them from close range.

Thin Men are really the most annoying enemies in the game on Impossible, with six health to your 4/5, extremely accurate one-shot kills into full cover, and poison shots to flush you out when you're hidden or hunkering. And they overwatch constantly.

SaladSnake

Neo Member
At this point I know the spawns, and I'm fine until the overwatching guys drop and all my soldiers inexplicably miss them from close range.

Thin Men are really the most annoying enemies in the game on Impossible, with six health to your 4/5, extremely accurate one-shot kills into full cover, and poison shots to flush you out when you're hidden or hunkering. And they overwatch constantly.

Is it wrong to admit that after I beat the game on impossible au naturale the first time, I have never played on the higher difficulties with out knocking 10 points off the thinman's accuracy? With the light Plasma they end up with an 85 (I forget the exact but it is 80+) base chance to hit, which is pretty nasty for an early game enemy.

Jintor

Man, the Bureau is weird. There's echoes of good stuff here and there but there's just these rough edges everywhere I look.

Woorloog

Banned
Back to the party.
Continuing my game that got abandoned in November.
Damn good game too, very good starting base, and got very lucky with missions.
First mission when i continue though... very, very horrible. All sorts of mean enemies, barely made it through without casualties (i try to avoid save scumming as much as possible).

XCOM:WE is great really. It keeps me on my toes, and i'm constantly giddy as if this were a new game for me. It is rare for a game to do that for me.

EDIT and this thread probably should be in Community by now?

Man, the Bureau is weird. There's echoes of good stuff here and there but there's just these rough edges everywhere I look.

Personally I feel the game should have "baked" a little longer. I enjoyed it but for some reason it felt like something was.... missing.

Dire

If there's one thing that really gimps the replayability of the current XCOM remake it's that because of the tightly driven overarching narrative that has due dates and consistenly samey activation dates, the element of randomness is gone on subsequent playthroughs.

There should've been a Free Play mode/Endless Mode which allowed the player to undergo randomized events instead until they just died from the overwhelming difficulty ramp up, with an end goal that'd be player determined instead of a consistently predetermined one that would occur in exactly the same fashion. Also I expected Exalt to be a lot more than the ancillary force they were in this game. They should've been given the power to influence governments to leave the XCOM project, not to mention that they could've been e 3rd force during alien encounters instead of a strict delineation between their missions and alien missions.

I still think that the strategic layer for XCOM Apocalypse was pretty neat when it came down to the complexities of the various factions that could exist in the world and how they could fuck you over if you didn't deal with them effectively and rapidly.

I wonder how costly it'd have been to implement such a game mode though.

Exalt can raise the panic of various nations rapidly. I assume it's random but it seems to happen more frequently towards the end of the month which means it's as good as them getting a government to leave XCom.

You can also get the sort of game you're looking for (minus the exalt+alien collab) pretty easily with second wave settings. War weariness + Diminishing Returns + Marathon + ironman impossible and you'll have a game that's definitely just last as long as you can. If that's too easy (hah!) you can add lots of other fun stuff like total loss, alternate sources, etc.

You can also disable the DLC for a less predictable experience.

Personally I find the basic character randomizers (training roulette/not created equal/hidden potential) alone make every game vastly different.

Jintor

you know, i'm really irritated we haven't heard a damn thing about a map editor, or steam workshop, or anything. I guess they're probably not doing anything with it, which sucks.

Jintor

which also probably indicates they don't have another expansion pack in the works. le sigh. i want to get my ass to mars.

Woorloog

Banned
So i have this genetically modified Polish Sniper who has psi powers. Nickname's Xeno. He is like a superhero or something. On bigger maps, i can have him solo flank enemies while my other troops travel in group.
The soldier customization system is wonderful, you get so attached to your soldiers...

Too bad there ain't a medium difficulty level, something between Normal and Classic. My current (Normal) game had superb start, meaning it is rather easy right now. But Classic has ridiculous bump in difficulty apparently.

Mid-game spoiler, got an achievement in somewhat odd way:
The achievement for getting 4 kills with the base security personel: an enemy mind controlled one from me, and used it to kill another guard... and that counted as 4th kill for me.
Was kind of surprised when the achievement popped up...

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Same section as Woorloog mentioned:
I would have liked the option to raise a couple of the base personnel to squad members. A couple of them got enough kills to level up in combat.

Woorloog

Banned
Game finished. Overall, an excellent games, among the best i've ever played.
The ending was a tad meh but not a big deal (would have been an excellent opportunity for an another expansion though) . My Polish superhero got important work at least.
I figure i'll play another playthrough later on, not sure if on Classic or Normal with Second Wave though.

Oh and the game's musics are wonderful.

epmode

you know, i'm really irritated we haven't heard a damn thing about a map editor, or steam workshop, or anything. I guess they're probably not doing anything with it, which sucks.

I like to think that they're working on a sequel with honest-to-god procedural map generation. Being limited to pre-made maps is easily the biggest issue with the reboot and it straight up kills its replay value.

Woorloog

Banned
I like to think that they're working on a sequel with honest-to-god procedural map generation. Being limited to pre-made maps is easily the biggest issue with the reboot and it straight up kills its replay value.

Pre-made maps are easily much higher quality though, for tactical options, gameplay balance, looks and whatever else.
That said, having both random maps and pre-made ones is better than having one or the other though.
The game did feel a bit lacking when it came to amount of maps though, pretty sure i met the same UFO maps multiple times, and at least one terror mission map i got twice.

Decado

This is why I haven't picked up EW yet and why I waited for a substantial price drop to pick up EU. I'm really annoyed by this. Even without mod support modders managed to improve the game significantly. Imagine what they could do if the devs stopped fucking them over.

Oppo

I don't think I'd agree to that. They added a lot of new maps in the expansion, and I very rarely see the same anymore... at least in a row. I have played 200+ hours of XCOM.

epmode

Pre-made maps are easily much higher quality though, for tactical options, gameplay balance, looks and whatever else.

Most of which becomes increasingly irrelevant the more you replay the maps. The benefits of procedural generation would easily outweigh the downsides. Not only would you not know what's around the corner but it allows for greater variety in mission parameters and adds even more to the strategic layer.

For instance, what if the condition of the UFO on the ground is directly influenced by the weapons used to bring it down? With procedurally generated maps, it would be possible to plant any UFO in any state of destruction in any environment.

This kind of thing is sorely missing from the remake. Lots of interesting decisions were removed when Firaxis stripped the simulation side from the campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the reboot a lot. I just think they threw out lots of stuff that grants longevity in their rush to streamline the game. It was strange to see this from the developer of one of the most replayable games ever (Civ).

While procedural maps would be cool, it must be hard as hell to get right.

This is the real reason it's gone. The original game did a great job but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Jintor

yeah often there wasn't a lot tactically interesting about the procederual maps x-com made (how interesting can farm plots be?) but in cities, especially, you could wind up with some interesting scenarios.

what really irritates me in XCOM is the huge amount of shitty 'giant corridor' maps, mainly in the alien base and in the battlecruisers. that shit's no fun. Aliens spawning behind you, also shit.

Sentenza

While procedural maps would be cool, it must be hard as hell to get right.
A system supporting and integrating into the campaign user-made maps, maybe choosing them among the top rated through Steam Workshop, would be such a perfect fit for this game.
It would greatly reduce that sense of repetition.

That said, I don't even think that the lack of randomly generated maps is the main issue here.
It's far more annoying how stiflingly small, dull and linear some of the hand-crated are, in perspective, especially considering they pretty much used it as a reason to not go with procedural ones.

Does anyone know of any mods that let you choose between sleeveless and normal armor for gene-modded soldiers? I'm aware of the mod that makes them wear normal armor, but I prefer to have greater variety, have some soldiers wear the normal armor, and some wear the new one.

Doesn't seem to install properly for me. A few people there are saying it hasn't been updated for the latest patch. I tried another mod that uses this one as a base, but it only gets rid of the sleeveless armor, I'm looking for something that provides an in-game option to switch. So one gene-modded soldier can have sleeveless armor, and another can have normal armor.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm currently trapped between being able to beat normal without losing any council nations and losing only 3-4 soldiers total... and then being completely, unmercifully slaughtered at the strategic and tactical levels on classic. Killed to the last man, nations bailing left and right, and the project shut down before even plasma technology nearly every time. Lol its like there's a missing difficulty between the two.

Top Bottom