• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally finished the game and I absolutely love the ending but
is it me or the last boss was way too easy!!? I don't think I was over level because my party members were in level 68-69 while the last boss was in in level 70. I would say most of the unique enemies were much tougher.

br3wnor

Checked it out in handheld mode after 50 hours in docked, and I find the criticism to be a tad overblown.

It doesn't look that bad. Though they probably could have dropped the sharpness filter. I do agree it dropping to 360p is unacceptable.

It looks awful in large environments, I played first 10 hours handheld and when I finally played docked I couldn’t believe how much better it looked. It doesn’t ruin it for me, but I really wish there was a performance patch to help improve HH mode, even at cost of battery life.

Finished Chapter 3, ending was so awesome. I’m still not 100% on the combat mechanics but I think I’m almost there, really like the combat overall and am digging the characters/story/world. So happy with this purchase.

finished the game yesterday. Still tons of stuff to do though. Loved the game.

I think overall ranking is...

Xenoblade
Xenoblade X
Xenoblade 2

maybe... Not sure. 2 is ranked there at the moment because I felt like the entirety of the overall adventure is a smaller scale than the previous titles. Story wise I enjoyed it but the twists that were set up weren't anywhere on the same level as with the original and X. Characters are great but I felt like my adventure with them was shorter...maybe? The bonds you make with the original party went much deeper than here. Love the villains and how they look out for each other here.

Manus

Man I bought a Switch for Mario, but can't put this down. The music and the voice acting is so good.

My only real complaint is the map and the compass. It still takes forever to get to some locations sometimes even though I can see where to go, just not get there.

Danjin44

finished the game yesterday. Still tons of stuff to do though. Loved the game.

I think overall ranking is...

Xenoblade
Xenoblade X
Xenoblade 2

maybe... Not sure. 2 is ranked there at the moment because I felt like the entirety of the overall adventure is a smaller scale than the previous titles. Story wise I enjoyed it but the twists that were set up weren't anywhere on the same level as with the original and X. Characters are great but I felt like my adventure with them was shorter...maybe? The bonds you make with the original party went much deeper than here. Love the villains and how they look out for each other here.

I personally liked Xenoblade 2 waaay more than Xenoblade X. I liked combat story much more.

magikarp7

Salvaging while docked with a pro controller isnt good. The lag often makes you miss the interactions. Easily fixed in handheld though.

ajim

Quick question, is getting blades random or is there something you can do to get the more special ones? I just burn randomly through rare cores and sometimes a unique blade appears.

Vale and perun are my favorites so far. But would be cool if I was influencing a bond!

FightTest

Salvaging while docked with a pro controller isnt good. The lag often makes you miss the interactions. Easily fixed in handheld though.

I thought I was just an old man and awful at it.

Not that it really matters, though. I've gotten all 3 with Excellents and still pull up garbage more often than not. Meanwhile I can botch 2 of the 3 and he'll come up happy about the haul.

I rarely salvage anyway since I have no patience for fighting fish every damn time. Just let me get the loot and screw off with the stupid fish monsters.

Smasher89

Hmm, I've got Boreas and at chapter 5 atm, so i notice his nodes are lacking, tried to get to unlock lv 2 (buy 100 food items at argentum food store or similar to that).

Tried just buying food at the market there which doesn't trigger any progress, anyone got an idea how I upgrade to get the next set of nodes?

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
Hmm, I've got Boreas and at chapter 5 atm, so i notice his nodes are lacking, tried to get to unlock lv 2 (buy 100 food items at argentum food store or similar to that).

Tried just buying food at the market there which doesn't trigger any progress, anyone got an idea how I upgrade to get the next set of nodes?

Put the food item, whatever it is asking for, into your bag. Each one you put in the bag if it fits the category, will count for 1. You can put 1 in right after the other and it still counts (even though there is a timer on the items).

Hope that helps. You can almost max him by doing this - you have to purchase lots of food though - and open the warehouse and do that quest as well.

Smasher89

Put the food item, whatever it is asking for, into your bag. Each one you put in the bag if it fits the category, will count for 1. You can put 1 in right after the other and it still counts (even though there is a timer on the items).

Hope that helps. You can almost max him by doing this - you have to purchase lots of food though - and
open the warehouse and do that quest as well.[/SPOILER
Ah, its food from the warehouse, which i cant find, unless its the locked door at the top of that ship.

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
Ah, its food from the warehouse, which i cant find, unless its the locked door at the top of that ship.

There is someone that will sell you access to the warehouse for !00,000, then knock it down to 99,999. There is another access point that you can get to via swimming in the cloud see

jrDev

Hmm, I am in the Titan Battleship at like chapter 6 rescue mission and I found a vent I can't get passed because I need Level 2 SuperStrength and Focus. Please tell me this doesn't prevent me from getting some awesome item...

Danjin44

Hmm, I am in the Titan Battleship at like chapter 6 rescue mission and I found a vent I can't get passed because I need Level 2 SuperStrength and Focus. Please tell me this doesn't prevent me from getting some awesome item...

Don't you have any other blades that have Focus and SuperStrength? If you do either give them to Rex or to your party members because abilities for each blades adds up.

For example: There might be an area that needs WindMastery Level 3 but my guy only has WindMastery Level 2, so I get the blade that has WindMastery Level 1 and I equip it to either to Rex or other party members that way you can get to WindMastery Level 3.

jrDev

Don't you have any other blades that have Focus and SuperStrength? If you do either give them to Rex or to your party members because abilities for each blades adds up.

For example: There might be an area that needs WindMastery Level 3 but my guy only has WindMastery Level 2, so I get the blade that has WindMastery Level 1 and I equip it to either to Rex or other party members that way you can get to WindMastery Level 3.
Hmm...never knew this but no other one works...are you saying there is something valuable there? :-/

Danjin44

Hmm...never knew this but no other one works...are you saying there is something valuable there? :-/
Let me ask you this. Don't you have beast core crystal? Because that blade has both Focus and SuperStrength abilities.

Z3M0G

I bought the game couple days ago hope the patch 1.1.1 will bring performance improvements for handheld mode

How bad is it? If I ever buy a Switch, I'll be playing it 95% of the time in handheld mode...

Edit: Actually I saw a video and didn't find it that bad... is the text difficult to read at times? Does it stutter?

Godot

Neo Member
How bad is it? If I ever buy a Switch, I'll be playing it 95% of the time in handheld mode...

Edit: Actually I saw a video and didn't find it that bad... is the text difficult to read at times? Does it stutter?

I'm fifty hours in and I've played it entirely in handheld mode. In some moments during some battles it gets bad, but it's fine most of the time.

No problem with the text.

jrDev

Let me ask you this. Don't you have beast core crystal? Because that blade has both Focus and SuperStrength abilities.
I was wondering why you ask this because I didn't know of such thing, then I realized that I said Chapter 6 above when I really meant I am in Chapter 2 rescuing Nia. The vent in the titan battleship requires level 2 super strength and focus. Sorry for confusion.

Danjin44

I was wondering why you ask this because I didn't know of such thing, then I realized that I said Chapter 6 above when I really meant I am in Chapter 2 rescuing Nia. The vent in the titan battleship requires level 2 super strength and focus. Sorry for confusion.

No problem, then check out Pyra and Poppi’s skill tree. I’m pretty sure in order to increase their Focus and SuperStrength skill, you need to give them their favorite pouch item. If you check out the their skill tree, it will tell you in which category their favorite pouch item is.

royox

Did they really need to change every character name? Playing with jap.voices is fucking with my head because EVERY name is diferent besides Rex and Nia. Who thought they NEED to change Hannah to Poppi??? And Rex-Aniki should be something like "bro" not this retarded Rex-Rex thing. But the most retarded one is Laura to Lura, I mean... why????

Big0Bear

Did they really need to change every character name? Playing with jap.voices is fucking with my head because EVERY name is diferent besides Rex and Nia. Who thought they NEED to change Hannah to Poppi??? And Rex-Aniki should be something like "bro" not this retarded Rex-Rex thing. But the most retarded one is Laura to Lura, I mean... why????

yea its really fucking annoying some of the english names are just stupid too :/

Manus

Just started chapter 4 and this game just gets crazier and crazier and that's a great thing. Now if only I can pull a non healer rare blade that will be nice.

I haven't really done a single side quest in the game just because the map and getting to them is such a chore. Am I missing out on some really nice quests or items for not doing them?

FightTest

I haven't really done a single side quest in the game just because the map and getting to them is such a chore. Am I missing out on some really nice quests or items for not doing them?

A few side quests give rare blades, but I think they're not available until chapter 5 or so. I'm towards the end of chapter 8 and strong enough to run around most of the world now without having to take massive detours, so I'm doing a handful here and there that I've had forever as I unlock affinities.

Generally they're not worth the time, especially early on when some want you to thread a needle amongst mobs that will murder you. Like I said prior to this I very, very rarely actively tried to finish side quests and I have no regrets.

My main criticism so far is that awful map! Firstly, there’s no rotation on the mini map and secondly, the way the map is portrayed and split up into sections is a joke!

Danjin44

My main criticism so far is that awful map! Firstly, there's no rotation on the mini map and secondly, the way the map is portrayed and split up into sections is a joke!

I absolutely LOVED XC2 and to me it has the most fun and addicting combat in JRPG after press turn combat in SMT/Persona but I have to agree with you about the map, especially about the mini map. But I think they gonna fix that in 1.1.1 update.

Is it me or am I supposed to be able to have three blades at a time? I can only set up to two at the moment, but I recall reading in a tutorial early on in the game that you were allowed three? Or am I wrong?

Danjin44

Is it me or am I supposed to be able to have three blades at a time? I can only set up to two at the moment, but I recall reading in a tutorial early on in the game that you were allowed three? Or am I wrong?
If I remember correctly in chapter 4 you can equip three Blades.

FightTest

Is it worth saving up the core crystals? Or are you guys bonding as soon as you get them?

Use them until you have different element types that match your role for each driver slot. (Aka if you have Rex as attack then use them until you get two rare attacks that aren't fire, and so on.)

Once Rex has 3 different attack types and Nia has 3 different healer types you can save them. There are 5 driver slots on the menu for a reason, you'll need them later.

Unrelated, later-ish (chapter 7-8) mild spoiler question..
Did anyone leave Rex as the healer through the end of the game? Once I got Pyra back I felt obligated to make Rex attack again even though I'd rather keep the other,
cooler DPS guy. Plus with Rex as healer I feel like I include more characters. But of course I can't go triple healer blades for the full bonus.

Can someone explain to me how combos work? I have been reading articles, watching videos and trying it out myself and the blade combos are too confusing and I end up just randomly pressing everything which is likely wasteful as hell. Half the time the enemy dies before I can meet the requirement of the combo too, not to mention the chain combo attack which I assume needs to be executed opposite of the element that is displayed near the enemy health bar? Or is that supposed to be the element I am supposed to attack it with?

I am so lost.

Enemies either die before I am able to charge up the combos sufficiently OR they kill one of the cast members I need to get to the 2nd or 3rd stages.

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me how combos work? I have been reading articles, watching videos and trying it out myself and the blade combos are too confusing and I end up just randomly pressing everything which is likely wasteful as hell. Half the time the enemy dies before I can meet the requirement of the combo too, not to mention the chain combo attack which I assume needs to be executed opposite of the element that is displayed near the enemy health bar? Or is that supposed to be the element I am supposed to attack it with?

I am so lost.

Enemies either die before I am able to charge up the combos sufficiently OR they kill one of the cast members I need to get to the 2nd or 3rd stages.

Look at the page directly before this one, there is an excellent explanation of the battle system there

Manus

A few side quests give rare blades, but I think they're not available until chapter 5 or so. I'm towards the end of chapter 8 and strong enough to run around most of the world now without having to take massive detours, so I'm doing a handful here and there that I've had forever as I unlock affinities.

Generally they're not worth the time, especially early on when some want you to thread a needle amongst mobs that will murder you. Like I said prior to this I very, very rarely actively tried to finish side quests and I have no regrets.

Awesome thanks, than I'm going to hold off for a bit. Seems like with the bonus exp from sleeping at a inn has been enough to keep me at a decent level.

Kureransu

I think "Rex-Rex" is to symbolize tora veiwing himself as Rex's little brother. As sometime young kids have nicknames for the their older siblings.

As far as Hana/Poppi, Hana is Japanese for flower, So Poppi fits. I think it's more what the name translates to and how well it's receives between europe/us.

Most of the names are super literal. Dromach and Roc's names translate literally to "white tiger" and "red bird"

gundalf

I'm now on the sand Titan with lvl 32 and the regular fights still take too much time, will this later change? Do some on you also have problems with the game timer? I have played around 15h but the game shows nearly 70h due to counting sleep mode time, though it looks cool when you wake up the game and the day time changes super fast.

Smasher89

Thank you. I'm not quite there yet. I get my ass handed to me by the glasses guy and the other dude. I stopped playing because of it. I'm at level 26 and still getting destroyed.
Isnt that the point you get
chain attacks
, with that i think it was easy if that were the time for it.

FightTest

I'm now on the sand Titan with lvl 32 and the regular fights still take too much time, will this later change?

Not really. You will learn to skip as much trash as possible.

My party is level 62-65 and I have been running around killing trash mobs for blade affinity that are like level 40. I can still sometimes get off a level 3 blade combo before they die.

Even level mobs obviously take longer. With inn level-ups I've yet to be underleveled (aside from right now in the end of chapter 8, there are some mobs that are higher than me), and I started skipping as many fights as possible a long time ago.

Danjin44

Not really. You will learn to skip as much trash as possible.
I did exact opposite. I couldn't stop fighting because I found the combat highly addictive. I especially try hunting for unique monsters because they had much higher HP so they were perfect for practicing my blade combos and try out different set up.

Finally got some free time and finished the main story last night. Kind of putting a cap on my frustrations, the game crashed right after the credits rolled and I had to go through the final boss again. Thank god for skipping cutscenes.

Overall though, I came to really like this game a lot more than I did initially. I don’t think it was as good as XC, but it’s definitely deserving of its status as a sequel. Now just to grind and quest until New Game + is out.

Danjin44

Overall though, I came to really like this game a lot more than I did initially. I don’t think it was as good as XC, but it’s definitely deserving of its status as a sequel. Now just to grind and quest until New Game + is out.
We could argue that XC1 told better story but for me XC2 combat is much, much better. I actually went back re-playing XC1 after beating the 2nd game and the 1st game’s combat felt slow and kind of boring compare to 2nd game.

Top Bottom