• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

Simply cannot wait for this game to come out. Before the Direct, I wanted more info and a firm release date and I got both. Maybe waaaay too much info to be honest. A lot of the lore I would have preferred to discover on my own really. I'm happy regardless and December can't come soon enough.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Somehow, before this direct, I wasn't aware the game took place on multiple mobile titans that are located in the sky with civilizations built upon them. I dig that. And I also like the idea of having your own titan and potentially flying in real-time (is this confirmed?) to land on other large titans to explore.

I'm not liking the sword-companions though, and the dialogue seems to suffer from some of the same tropes in X/Chronicles 1. That's made even more apparent after experiencing the Octopath demo.

Storywise, I really enjoyed the little pieces we got of the politics between the separate alien races in X, and XC2 seems to have a lot of focus on that with all the separate countries having differing views/needs regarding the titans. So I'm optimistic about the angle, though I'm not so sure about the quest for the legendary blade (aegis) being the driving force of the plot.

Overall, I'm much more optimsitic for XC2 after this direct than I was beforehand.

Somehow, before this direct, I wasn't aware the game took place on multiple mobile titans that are located in the sky with civilizations built upon them. I dig that. And I also like the idea of having your own titan and potentially flying in real-time (is this confirmed?) to land on other large titans to explore.
There isn't seamless exploration when moving from one titan to another. I want to say exploring each individual titan is seamless, while moving from titan to titan has a load screen.

sinonobu

Banned
Pre-ordered Special Edition and the Pro Controller!!!

I'm so excited to finally play this on December. My most anticipated title of 2017 since January!!!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
There isn't seamless exploration when moving from one titan to another. I want to say exploring each individual titan is seamless, while moving from titan to titan has a load screen.

That's a bummer. I was picturing some type of overworld like Skies of Arcadia. :/

I loove the Titans as a world building idea and I'm hyped to explore but I'm a little skeptical of the gameplay and rather turned off by some off the character designs. Is it just me, or is there a harsh divide between normal human looking characters and "tales of" protag wannabes? Cause it feels like the quantity of animu varied wildly from person to person

Yeah, I think they wanted to get back to the essence of what made the first Xenoblade game cool, at least in terms of setting. I personally was a little turned off that X was not set on the back off of a giant being.

rudger

That's a bummer. I was picturing some type of overworld like Skies of Arcadia. :/

Same. Especially since I opened this thread solely to comment how they went full Skies of Arcadia with this one. I mean, the similarities were always there, but the ocean beneath the clouds really sealed it. Maybe in that spirit we will get some titan in titan fights.

Mory Dunz

December 1 is a little later than I wanted....but I'll take it. Not really much else to say, I'm just ready to play this game now.

And look, they improved the faces! Looks like there's more shading and textures now.

New

RUaKZ1q5-9g1rfBmw122HGngucYVGlWw.jpg

Old

graphics looked better overall to me.

TCTF Agent

Neo Member
Welp, the Switch is not going to get a rest at all at this rate (a good thing though). At least there's plenty of time over December and Christmas to work through as much as possible before 2018 is upon us and we all get blown out by whatever drops on the Switch in January.

kubus

Wow I was totally on board with the JP dub until the narrator dude started talking. The voice actor for him is definitely Shigeru Chiba. I guess a lot of people will know him as Buggy from One Piece. Don't really like his grandpa style of talking in this game with all the じゃあ-ing.

That said I don't think the English dub is terribad judging from the trailer, just the lip syncing was kinda off (could be just the trailer tho) and some of the lines were really bad. For example:

"I'm guessing your goal..... is Elysium...!"
"That... is our... DREAM!"

is a pretty bland and literal translation of

「やはり目指すか…楽園を…!」
「それが…私たちの望みです!」

I'll decide which version to get later. Hopefully they make it easier by just including both dubs though ;-;

Both me (a diehard fan of XC) and a friend (who is barely into XC and thinks 2 is anime as hell) both watched the direct and loved grandpa dragon voice.

I liked it too. It was fun. And that pun was hilariously dad joke-y. People need to lighten up a little.

Previous trailers and gameplay were a little meh for me, but this looked a lot better and made a tad hyped. Will consider getting this game now.

And those vistas...

aravuus

I can't in good conscience call that a good trailer, or a good grandpa dragon voice, but nice to know the exact date and I'm definitely more interested in the story now than before.

Definitely day one. Just hope I have something to do in November lol.

Harpoon

December 1 is a little later than I wanted....but I'll take it. Not really much else to say, I'm just ready to play this game now.

And look, they improved the faces! Looks like there's more shading and textures now.

New

RUaKZ1q5-9g1rfBmw122HGngucYVGlWw.jpg

Old

Hot damn. Pretty major improvement.

Faithless Mr.

Neo Member
As a gamer only with a PS4 and a PC, I'm quite impressed with Nintendo's releases this year. It's definitely one of the strongest first-party line-ups I remember.

The bump up in quality on the models is nice. I still don't like the art direction for the characters but it's undeniably well done.

Not a big fan of the way the Blades just stand there and tether a laser beam to the Drivers the entire time during fights. Looks weird. Still excited to actually play it though because Takahashi has enough of a track record for me to buy it even if I'm not completely sold on everything.
I even forgive him for Xenosaga being terrible.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but the game looks a lot better when the camera's zoomed in and at an almost over-the-shoulder view. The footage they showed at gamescom made it look too much like an RTS, almost as if the lighting was kind of mute, which also revealed the rough textures considering the grass sprites. This was kind of the case in the previous games as well, just not as noticeable considering the different graphics and art styles.

Misterhbk

Oh if you're a big `JRPG` fan, go play Xenoblade first, you're in for a treat

If only there was some sort of way to purchase the original game on the Switch. Like some sort of Virtual Console that could enable my Switch to play older Nintendo games. Man.

That aside, this looks fun. Writing seems a tad cliche but that's to be expected. I'm in for more time with the Switch.

Dremorak

Banned
Environments look great, gameplay still looks really good, story has me intrigued. Characters im still not that into but i can get over that for more Xenoblade

Bad voices. Great looking game.

I won't turn my nose up. Can't wait.

I still fully intend to go back to X and play through some more of the side content some day.

You can't be serious. What major improvement?

His mouth is narrower! His features are more dramatically shaded!
There's a green glowing X on his chest!

What more could you want?

The IQ looks better? Or is that just bad video compression on the previous one.

Top Bottom